Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 13:18   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj84 View Post
On insisting to know the new PCM version, they finally had to connect my car to laptop and found PCM update available from AMK to AMM. Did not check TCM update.
Latest PCM update is ....ANN
However I have the 3.2. Not sure whether this applies to the 2.2
Kindly recheck.
I totally agree with you. I complained to Ford India for the updates and then my car was taken on priority for updates. Service centres are lazy on this for a reason known to them only.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 13:36   #3497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Latest PCM update is ....ANN
However I have the 3.2. Not sure whether this applies to the 2.2
Kindly recheck.
I had gone for the update expecting ANN as well, since I had read the post by another person. But looks like 2.2 uses AM series and 3.2 uses AN series for PCM version naming. I updated from AMK to AMM
raj84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 18:48   #3498

Is anyone aware of any updates available to 3.2L manufactured in July 2017 ?
Old 7th October 2018, 10:21   #3499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Ford India website says the endeavour is fitted with a Power Shift AT dual clutch transmission. Link below:
https://www.india.ford.com/6-speed-powershift/
List of cars in which the dual clutch transmission is available is mentioned towards the bottom of the page.
Am confused.
I took a Test drive of the Endy 2.2L Titanium variant last evening. I have been contemplating between the Fortuner and the Endy.

After a good test drive experience, the service advisor told me that the Endy is equipped with dual clutch transmissionwhich they also refer to as Power shift . All this while i thought the Endy was equipped with a 6-speed torque converter gearbox.

Can the existing owners shed some light?
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 10:45   #3500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Can the existing owners shed some light?
Please don't be misguided by the post you have quoted. My intention was merely to point out an apparent blunder in Ford India's website stating that the Power Shift Dual Clutch transmission is also fitted in the Endeavour.

Neither should you be misguided by the ill informed sales representative.

Let me assure you that both the 2.2 and the 3.2 Endeavours come fitted with a 6 speed torque converter gear box. If I am not mistaken, it is the 6R80 used in a wide range of Ford's, from sedans to their F series trucks.

Power Shift DCT is only available in the Figo twins in India. May be the Mustang too. Not sure on that one, but the website wants us to believe the Mustang too has a Power Shift DCT.

Last edited by SCORPION : 7th October 2018 at 10:48.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 13:54   #3501
BHPian

Quote:
Please don't be misguided by the post you have quoted. My intention was merely to point out an apparent blunder in Ford India's website stating that the Power Shift Dual Clutch transmission is also fitted in the Endeavour.

Neither should you be misguided by the ill informed sales representative.

Let me assure you that both the 2.2 and the 3.2 Endeavours come fitted with a 6 speed torque converter gear box. If I am not mistaken, it is the 6R80 used in a wide range of Ford's, from sedans to their F series trucks.

Power Shift DCT is only available in the Figo twins in India. May be the Mustang too. Not sure on that one, but the website wants us to believe the Mustang too has a Power Shift DCT.
Thank you for clarifying. Initially, i was wondering how this could be true as this dual clutch transmission point never came up in the detailed official review on the Endy as well.

Sigh of relief Comparing the fortuner to the Endy is now an apple to apple comparison.
RJ2285 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 14:22   #3502
BHPian

Quote:
P
Power Shift DCT is only available in the Figo twins in India.
Aspire facelift has divorced DCT as well. It comes with six speed torque converter unit.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2018, 15:16   #3503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunov11 View Post
Is anyone aware of any updates available to 3.2L manufactured in July 2017 ?
If you have never gotten your PCM/TCM etc updated since purchase, I am sure there should be some updates pending in your case. Do get it checked at your service center. You must insist on it or even better, tell them you want to see (for educational purpose ) how they check for updates, and sit with them through the process.

I am guessing all 3.2 litre Endeavours, irrespective of month, year or version (Trend/Titanium), right from the first example sold to the latest one, should be running the same updates as far as PCM and TCM are concerned. I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason why it should be different. Other modules like BCM, APIM, DDM/PDM etc, could be different depending on addition/deletion/modification of features. But I think TCM and PCM updates should apply to everyone. If someone has reported a recent update for these modules in their car, I think it would apply to all 3.2s.

Experts, please correct me if I am wrong.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:13   #3504
BHPian

2250 done and the first service is coming up, so I had a few queries. Would greatly appreciate your inputs:

1. Touching up
Have picked up a couple of stone chips (pieces of gravel kicked up on a highway, unavoidable).
Have picked up two vertical streak type scratches - on the passenger-side rear fender and rear door. Completely avoidable (from my end by being yet more defensive in my driving), caused by a careless rider's handle (my best estimate given the height). They do seem like paint deposits that may simply be rubbed of, but I tried that with a microfibre (nail behind it), to no avail - and once clean, it was clear that they are scratches, very shallow, but scratches nevertheless.
Also, inexplicably, certain marks on the bonnet - don't know how that happened. Rather irritating. Looks like something was kept there on a dusty surface (hard dust particles underneath) and subsequently dragged, or it was done deliberately (seems unlikely given the nature of the scratches - doesn't look like a cat's paw either) - either way, it certainly didn't happen in my presence.

Now, of course, there's no question I'm going to have them touched up (not a new vehicle thing, I'm that guy, unfortunately). What I'm asking is, how should I go about it? Unfortunately, I wanted Ford Protect Insurance (got a fair price), but the only downside was NCB protect rider isn't available on that portal. So a claim is out of question, I will get it done out of pocket.

Either I get it done at the service centre's paint booth (good but might be expensive), or I wait till I next cross a larger town with a decent detailer and get it done via detailing/rubbing compound (uncertain time frame, paint thinning, not sure about effectiveness).

Please advise depending on each case.

Streak Type Scratch 1 (pardon the watermarks - shot between soap down and rinse):
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181007-15.39.08.jpeg

Streak Type Scratch 2:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181007-15.39.24.jpeg

Both Together in Context:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181007-15.39.43.jpeg

Stone Chip 1:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181007-15.40.25.jpeg

Stone Chip 2:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181007-15.40.38.jpeg

Bonnet set of streaks (sorry for the poor image):
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181008-11.56.13.jpeg

Main, deep groove among them:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181008-11.58.42.jpeg

Finer streaks:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181008-11.58.58.jpeg

2. Service Plan
Should I opt for it? Apparently, it must be opted for before first service. I don't really care for increasing upfront costs (opportunity cost consideration) for price protection (despite the rate at which inflation is going), but that isn't the primary thing stopping me. I intend to figure out a way to switch to fully synthetic engine oil at 20k. I plan to have the first at 2.5k, second at 10k and third with their oil as flush at 20k, after which I'll use full synth (so a double change at 20k).
In case I can persuade them to use different oil/allow me to change oil without voiding warranty, the service plan would be a waste as oil changes would already be paid for.
If that's not possible (as I suspect), I face the unappetising prospect of costly double oil changes every time.

Help a bozo out, will ya?

Last edited by Mu009 : 8th October 2018 at 12:24.
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 12:50   #3505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Help a bozo out, will ya?
Man, your posts and questions are always so complex!
Let me try and venture into murky waters.

Firstly, regarding the paint. You have picked up quite a few scratches in a short while. Get a small bottle of rubbing compound and keep it with you. Most superficial scratches can be dealt with easily yourself with the compound. It works for me, mine being white. I am not sure how it would work on black. Slightly deeper ones can be taken care of by detailers. Paint chip on the bonnet is something which will need a filler and some additional work.
I don't think any service centre body shop will do a touch up. They will give you an excuse of paint not matching due to fade and stuff like that. How many shades of black can there be and your car is brand new. Still they will not do it. They will insist on painting the entire panel. You can expect a huge estimate.

I would suggest you let it be for a while. Once you are entirely comfortable with its size, and you are more or less confident you won't scratch it anymore, get a proper detailing done. That will take care of most of the scratches. You could probably get a transparent wrap for your bonnet and other nether regions like the bumper corners, door handles, ORVMs and the rear bumper.

Regarding the engine oil. Some say the OE is mineral. Some say it is semi synthetic. Grey area, like the battery. But reportedly, service centers are quite okay with you changing to fully synthetic if you so wish and they will do the oil change for you. Besides, oil change is not the only 'service' you pay for. So this shouldn't be an issue. You can always get this clarified from your service advisor and discuss your intention to change to fully synthetic.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 13:33   #3506
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, regarding the paint. You have picked up quite a few scratches in a short while.
Ah! What can I say? While I'd argue I couldn't have done much about these visible scratches, I certainly haven't been kind to the paintwork in my jungle/off-roading trips. I'll leave details for happier, more leisurely posts, but have already done some serious rock crawling - the sense of freedom this vehicle gives you is unparalleled by anything that's also as (or more) comfortable and competent for fast motorway journeys.

Quote:
Get a small bottle of rubbing compound and keep it with you. Most superficial scratches can be dealt with easily yourself with the compound. It works for me, mine being white. I am not sure how it would work on black.
That's certainly on my to-do list, but what price the clear coat being thinned? Would be glad of some clarification on that.

Quote:
Slightly deeper ones can be taken care of by detailers.
Another query I've had - what exactly do they do to remove scratches other than rubbing compound?

Quote:
I don't think any service centre body shop will do a touch up. They will give you an excuse of paint not matching due to fade and stuff like that. How many shades of black can there be and your car is brand new. Still they will not do it. They will insist on painting the entire panel. You can expect a huge estimate.
Ah - I beg to differ. Given the near-perfect way they touched up the driver's side of the front bumper (the deepish groove on it that came right from the factory), they certainly can't claim that. Plus, they seem an amenable lot so far.
Either way, will obviously ask for the best solution and get its estimate before deciding.

Quote:
I would suggest you let it be for a while. Once you are entirely comfortable with its size, and you are more or less confident you won't scratch it anymore, get a proper detailing done. That will take care of most of the scratches.
As I said. I don't think I could've done much to avoid these. While I certainly don't deny that I'm not even close to comfortable with its proportions just yet, these really were out of my hand. And, I have the luxury of virtually nil city running - so anything that happens isn't really a size issue - it's carelessness on my (or for that matter, someone else's) part.

But yes, what makes the most sense is, to take an estimate, and if found to be not feasible, I'll have it detailed next time I visit a metro (uncertain). The only reason I had trepidation about that was:
1. Not sure when I might cross a metro - and I hear the quicker one touches up, the better it's integrated.
2. Not sure what detailing entails other than the use of rubbing compound (which I'm still inclined to avoid).

Quote:
You could probably get a transparent wrap for your bonnet and other nether regions like the bumper corners, door handles, ORVMs and the rear bumper.
Nah. Not feasible for a variety of reasons. Leaving the lack of paint protection for an ownership report.

Quote:
Regarding the engine oil. Some say the OE is mineral. Some say it is semi synthetic. Grey area, like the battery. But reportedly, service centers are quite okay with you changing to fully synthetic if you so wish and they will do the oil change for you. Besides, oil change is not the only 'service' you pay for. So this shouldn't be an issue. You can always get this clarified from your service advisor and discuss your intention to change to fully synthetic.
That is indeed reassuring to hear. My prior expectation regarding this comes from my cousin's experience with EcoSport ownership in Bangalore - but naturally, it'd vary from service centre to service centre. As I said, the guys here look like an amenable lot - and I've always managed to develop great relationships at auto servicing places (ASS or FNG).
Best would be to talk to them - I plan to make a pre-service visit today as I'm probably headed that side. Will get it clarified, and then try to work it out as required.

Quote:
Man, your posts and questions are always so complex!
Let me try and venture into murky waters.
Well, for now, I can only offer a (not half bad) picture in an effort to make amends:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-20181006171202_cq3a14020101.jpg
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2018, 19:43   #3507
BANNED

Quote:
I certainly haven't been kind to the paintwork in my jungle/off-roading trips. I'll leave details for happier, more leisurely posts, but have already done some serious rock crawling
Good to know that, I was under the impression that these scratches happened in nasty Jabalpur traffic.

Quote:
Another query I've had - what exactly do they do to remove scratches other than rubbing compound?
They apply a multitude of products, clay, paint cutters, buffers etc which minimise the scratch to a certain extent.

Quote:
Leaving the lack of paint protection for an ownership report.
Which is planned, like, after the MP election results I guess....Come on Mr.Verbose, if you couple 4-5 posts that you pen here, your review would be good to go.
n.devdath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th October 2018, 11:16   #3508
BHPian

Quote:
but have already done some serious rock crawling
Quote:
these really were out of my hand. And, I have the luxury of virtually nil city running - so anything that happens isn't really a size issue - it's carelessness on my (or for that matter, someone else's) part.
I really envy you. I have to struggle to find a place where I can put her off roading prowess to good use. Anyway, if this is the kind of roads you drive on and if you intend to continue going off road on a regular basis you have to do either one of these 2 things:

1. Find a permanent solution and give her some sort of wrapping or else you will have to keep visiting the paint shop/detailer often.

2. Live with the scratches and do up the car once in, say, 6 months or a year.

Quote:
Given the near-perfect way they touched up the driver's side of the front bumper (the deepish groove on it that came right from the factory), they certainly can't claim that. Plus, they seem an amenable lot so far.
That was different, they were the CULPRIT. Now you will be dealing with the service centre/body shop to repair damages that YOU have caused. I am not sure but I am talking from personal experience (not with Ford) and I always thought I had a good rapport with the guys. I hope at least you have a different experience.

Quote:
Well, for now, I can only offer a (not half bad)
Nice picture. Beautiful location. Thanks for sharing.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 13:00   #3509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
it should be ok and the rat probably was just taking shelter.
Looks like it for now, Thank God.
As initial steps, here is what I did:

1. Parked Nandi (Endy 3.2 Titanium) in a manner where the parking light falls just before and around the engine bay area.
2. Give all the 4 tires good, solid kicks whenever I pass by him, and, surprise surprise, last night when I kicked the rear tires a kitten, white and gold, ran out from under the bonnet. I was pleased as punch.
3. I was finally able to make time the day before yesterday and took Nandi to the ASC for a thorough wash down of the engine bay (detailed post below), and there was no extra poop in the bonnet and hence your assumption of it taking shelter holds validated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
You might get it from a different brand, but the products are all the same.

Please keep us updated on this.
Yes, I was able to procure it from a fertiliser store at Tharagupet for 83/- a kilo but haven't used it yet since the rat doesnt seem to have come back.

Should I use it?

Now for the detailed update: -

There were 4 reasons I took Nandi to the ASC (JSP Ford, Bannerghatta Road): -

1. Get the engine thoroughly cleaned after removing the shields to ensure zero remnants of rat poop and urine.
2. Get a small nick on the front skid plate touched up.
3. Get the low beam headlights raised to their highest level.
4. Get a small misfit of the cladding on the RH front mudguard rectified.

1. Get the engine thoroughly cleaned after removing the shields to ensure zero remnants of rat poop and urine.

Engine shields removed, no poop found, but a lot of muck was, pressure washed the engine myself with low pressure and scrubbed urine marks out where they were visible, stench gone, and the engine bay is back to squeaky clean.

Here are a few photos: -
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-trannyguard.jpeg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-eng-guard.jpeg

However, the SA picked up this material from inside the cabin and told me that this seems to be due to rats inside the cabin. While the material had me thinking for a few minutes, I was at peace once I checked the fresh air grill and found it intact, there is no way rats can get inside Nandi's cabin now unless they jump in when a door/s is/are open.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-jute-cabin.jpeg

2. Get a small nick on the front skid plate touched up.

Done, quality okayish, I will work more on it when I get the time. Also got 2 chip-offs on the bonnet and the fender touched-up.

3. Get the low beam headlights raised to their highest level.

This was tricky, since I was told that the 2018 models do not have headlight adjustment screws anymore but gladly, they are there and the electrician was knowledgeable and have gotten the low beams at their highest now.
Will observe their performance and post photos.

4.Get a small misfit of the cladding on the RH front mudguard rectified.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-cladding.jpeg
Forgot to get this done, will do it on my own.

That apart, impulsively asked them to replace the engine oil and filter (the odo stands at 4k kms now), though it wasnt needed at all. Zero filings, clean filter, the oil had great viscosity and it was a lot of money down the drain, literally.

Nevertheless, here are a few observations.

1. Oil filter made in the Czech Republic (a la Skoda), me likes.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-fuel-filter.jpeg
2. The Castrol oil used is fully synthetic, this at 330/litre, is completely worth the money.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-engine-oil.jpeg

Lastly a few observations which came to light upon deeper inspection: -

The rear differential coupling has some surface rust, will get it rubber painted when I get time.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-diff-rust.jpeg

The radiator brace is badly painted, will get it painted white when I have the time and the grill is opened for some work.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-brace-paint.jpeg

There is very soft, cottony cladding material under the rear bumper below the fuel tank inlet. Any idea what purpose this serves? Also, since it will always be exposed to the elements, it will wear out very quickly too.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-soft-material.jpeg

There is significant lack of attention to detail in the application of sound deadening material under the front wheel arch. the RH side is ok while the LH side shows clear lack of precision and attention.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-deadening-cladding-rh.jpeg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-deadening-cladding.jpeg

There is a vent on the RHS inside the grill that is routed via a conduit towards the LH wheel arch, what does it do?
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-strange-inlet.jpeg

Last edited by n.devdath : 11th October 2018 at 13:04.
n.devdath is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:26   #3510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Oil filter made in the Czech Republic (a la Skoda), me likes.
Is it oil or air filter? Oil filter used in my 2.2 was cylindrical in construction. The one shown in the picture shared by you looks like a flat slab type construction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks