Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2018, 21:37   #3616
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Turbonator is right, road tax is calculated on the list price and the same applies to Bangalore as well.
The best way of negotiating a deal is by asking for a detailed break-up of the ex-showroom, road tax, insurance and other accessories being offered so that you have a clear picture and can then compare it to other quotes.

Both Cauvery and JSP Ford are good dealers, which one are you in touch with?

There are multiple customers of each one of them in touch and they can help you with getting the best deal.
JSP Ford. I am more inclined to 2.2 Titanium because I found that easier to drive in the city (specifically bumper to bumper. I did a test drive in peak traffic once) but if I get a good deal I can upgrade to 3.2 as well . Can you please let me know whom should I reach out to.
Old 11th December 2018, 23:17   #3617
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I am no expert but when you get a chance, specially if you have 15+ minutes to spare. Please go through this video and let me know your thoughts. This guy claims to be an expert in cars. I also saw his other videos to confirm what he is saying has substance and this is not just one off videos which doesnt make sense. Also any idea on the cause of Endy fire happened in Karnataka and Yamuna expressway
I am not sure how true is this....hate to hear negative reviews about Endy.

And if this is false, why FORD is not taking legal action on this videos?

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th December 2018 at 12:21. Reason: Removing youtube link from quoted post. Thanks
alexrabbi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 11:45   #3618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
JSP Ford. I am more inclined to 2.2 Titanium because I found that easier to drive in the city (specifically bumper to bumper. I did a test drive in peak traffic once) but if I get a good deal I can upgrade to 3.2 as well . Can you please let me know whom should I reach out to.
I bought my Endeavour 3.2 from PPS Ford, Kastutba Road, Bangalore - in Aug this year.
Got a pretty good deal and the sales folks were very good.

You may want to check it out.
VeeEight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 15:29   #3619
BHPian

I happened to drive a Ford Explorer for 10 days and I thought of writing a comparison with Endy.

First let me talk about the positives in Explorer

All black interiors. The Sync is clubbed with Sony music system and the calrity and quality are little better than our music system. The front seats are heated. The driver seat get auto adjustment for you to easy get out and get in.

Now let me get in to the minuses.

The driver seats are a little lower and you don't get to see the full bonnet. Getting in and out is comparatively difficult. (There is no stepper) . The boot space is uneven, even if you fold the seats, the storage cannot be used effectively. The Vehicle appears bigger in size but the interior space is not designed optimally, I felt Endy is more spacious.

Otherwise all the controls, quality of the materials and all other aspects are almost same.

In explorer auto wipers were missing and I found out to be a very bad miss, especially in US many areas rain almost 10 months in a year.

Last edited by bblost : 16th December 2018 at 17:02. Reason: back to back
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 13:53   #3620
BHPian

If all goes well, touchwood, I shall be picking up Endy 3.2 Titanium 4x4 next week.

You guys are an expert discussing it for 242 pages . Kindly let me know what all should I be looking at (apart from PDI checklist) while taking delivery?

Have to search for PDI checklist in TBHP forum
TheIndian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 14:28   #3621
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
If all goes well, touchwood, I shall be picking up Endy 3.2 Titanium 4x4 next week.

You guys are an expert discussing it for 242 pages . Kindly let me know what all should I be looking at (apart from PDI checklist) while taking delivery?
Congratulations and welcome to the club...!!!

The checklist is comprehensive enough for the PDI, in fact, you may not need to check all the boxes off the checklist, it is that detailed.

A few things I would recommend as small but useful accessories are the window visors and the "ENDEAVOUR" sticker on the doors along with extended warranty.

If your budget permits, you can also swap the tires straight out of the showroom to a different brand. That apart, there are a lot of options but best to take them slow.

Which dealer, which color and what is the price breakup?
n.devdath is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 12:58   #3622
BHPian

Quote:
Well, first of all, good on you for making such a great choice - even though this is coming from people who are all smitten by the truck anyway, experiencing this thing over longer periods makes you realise just how well spent the money is, and just how GOOD this thing is. Over time, as you occasionally (unfortunately IMO) have the odd jaunt in different cars (around and much above its class), the seats, ride comfort, engine performance and quietness of the cabin (suspension and engine-wise) will SHOCK you (pleasantly, very very pleasantly). The only real gripes (different from the nitpicking idiots like me can do in any object) will be removal of 8 way adjust from the passenger seat and seat memory (both front seats), removal of 220V inverter (India) and the (universal) lack of a 7th gear.

Secondly, did you or did you not get the PDI checklist and print out a couple of copies? Standard advice - take someone well versed with vehicles, vehicle delivery issues and dealer malpractices. Divide the PDI between yourselves.

Also, top tip from my side - I made the mistake of having the dealership wash the car for delivery in order to make sure I didn't miss any flaws in the paintwork, and ended up with unsightly swirl marks in the process. Best would be to go for a more thorough and time-taking inspection with a dirty car, and wash it yourself/have it done professionally post-delivery and tyre change.

Quote:
The checklist is comprehensive enough for the PDI, in fact, you may not need to check all the boxes off the checklist, it is that detailed.
Agreed, but I'll just list some of the important stuff (IMO) to best safeguard against getting a problem piece:
1. Panel gaps (fit and finish) - best to compare with a piece standing by in the showroom. While the overall build of the Endeavour is confidence inspiring and satisfactory, some gaps are larger and less uniform than others, and some panels yield more than others on pressing. I didn't find any discrepancies between my vehicle and another to-be-delivered vehicle parked a few feet from mine, which was reassuring. Low chance of issues given Ford's quality control standards, but best to check, as it is one of the easiest ways to check for in-transit and dealer handling damage.
2. In continuation of that theme, check all the stuff regarding possible damage repair - repainted panels, excess wax residue in panel gaps etc. Good light is essential.
3. Engine testing is essential - have the vehicle revved through the power band in neutral. Look out for odd sounds. Since the engine is bench-run, you can go right up to 4500 RPM a couple of times in neutral without risk of any damage - have your friend do the revving and stand outside the car with the bonnet open. Do more runs from 1.5k to 2.5k rpm, and try and stay at few rpms along there.
4. IMO, not strictly required, but if it is convenient, go for a short ride over bumpy patches to check for suspension noise.
5. Check all fluid levels on an absolutely flat floor (with even a 1 degree slope, the levels go slightly off in my Endeavour and give me scares by threatening to reach minimum markers - with a flat surface, everything "comes back" to normal). For making sure you're on a flat floor, use the RHS MID - it's excellent.
6. Have tyre pressures at no more than 32psi - dealership will likely inflate them to 35. A bit off-topic in terms of PDI, but I personally run 28 front and 30 rear for 2 people, and 30 and 32 for loaded or highway runs. Rather comfortable. But impacts FE by about 7% to 10%.
7. Make sure all doors close and seal properly.
8. Have global open and close activated.
9. Check all tyres - one of mine came with a sidewall cut.
10. Check all interior surfaces for blemishes/cuts etc.
11. Check sunroof and sunshade operation.
12. Check all windows (all have auto up/down).
13. Check electric driver's seat control.
14. Check tailgate and seat folding operation (both 2nd and 3rd row).
15. Use RHS MID to check for wheel alignment.
16. Check odometer reading.
17. Check all speakers - don't bother using fade and balance, just put an ear to each.
18. Check headlamps.
19. Check ambient lighting.
20. Check HVAC - vents, button and touch controls.
21. Check if rear diff-lock, terrain modes and 4x4 Low engage.

Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Quote:
A few things I would recommend as small but useful accessories are the window visors and the "ENDEAVOUR" sticker on the doors along with extended warranty.
The Endeavour sticker is purely subjective, but I think the window visors ruin the looks (not so much on black). I'm personally waiting for the next monsoon to take a call on them - only if they appear quite necessary would I bother with their addition to the car.

Extended warranty is a must, but I've only extended it to the third year so far - think hard about your usage before extending further. You can always take fourth year warranty anytime in the first three years.

Quote:
If your budget permits, you can also swap the tires straight out of the showroom to a different brand.
I STRONGLY recommend doing this. I myself couldn't due to a variety of logistical issues (and some impractical considerations on my part), but I cannot recommend this enough. The wanderers are a cheap, low quality tyre which though not exactly terrible, are incredibly poor for use in a vehicle of this quality.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - tell them to be very careful while debeading the tyre for replacement (now, or later). The tyre pressure sensor is attached to the valve, and the tyre shop idiots have a great propensity to damage them - this happened to me despite going to a shop frequented by premium cars - one can never be too careful with all your (not just prized) possessions. (this is India, after all).

Quote:
That apart, there are a lot of options but best to take them slow.
1. I would recommend a parcel tray (though I haven't seen the OEM tray quality yet), but in my experience, the level up to the parcel tray is sufficient even for expeditions with HEAVY luggage requirements (as I just found in my trip to Spiti), hence I am considering getting one soon - it can be left on most of the time, I think, and removed for the odd exceptional occasion, so it now appears to be a sensible purchase to me.
2. Neck pillows might be helpful for certain passengers - I wasn't sold on the OEM neck pillow quality hence I haven't yet got a set.
3. DO NOT take OEM floor mats. Go for 7D mats (those quilted pattern stitched ones with noodle mats on top). Even though beige isn't a popular choice for many, I'd highly recommend them - they really go well with the upholstery and the mud type in my area really melds with the colour making for a less dirty look until i clean them. They brighten up the interior too. Though i do think a coffee colour would be rather aesthetically pleasing as well - especially if the shade matches the dash cladding. If you can, buy them before delivery. If not, what I did was - went with grain sacks for delivery and installed the mats when I received them a few days later.
4. On the topic of mats, get trunk mats ASAP. They'll be the 5D part of the 7D above, and if, like me, you transport stuff in the vehicle as you would in a truck, rather than like you would baby the boot of a 4m INR car, you'll be really happy. I'm truly disappointed about not having picked them up as yet when I crossed Delhi. By my reckoning, despite aliexpress prices being what they are, in Delhi both interior mats and trunk mats together can easily be picked up for around 10k (not individually, total). I shouldn't think you'll have much of an issue finding them in Bombay.
5. A cargo net is a must. Get it from the aftermarket asap.

Depending on how much you plan to clean the vehicle yourself/under your supervision, and how much you plan to off-road, I think the community can help you out with a lot of equipment on that count too.

And absolutely no need to wish you happy motoring - provided you have a good dealer (higher chance with Ford India), and a non-lemon (again, high probability), delightful motoring is GUARANTEED. There hasn't been anyone who's sat in it (let alone driven it) for a 100km or more trip and hasn't absolutely fallen in love with my car.

Cheers!

Last edited by Mu009 : 17th December 2018 at 13:17. Reason: Correction(s)
Mu009 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:48   #3623
BHPian

Thanks @n.devdath

Quote:
If your budget permits, you can also swap the tires straight out of the showroom to a different brand. That apart, there are a lot of options but best to take them slow.
I remember reading somewhere here that you went for Yokohoma Geolander fitting it straight after taking delivery. How much is the cost difference? Are they of the same OEM size?

Quote:
Which dealer, which color and what is the price breakup?
Still negotiating . Probably, shall finalise. Color = White

Thanks @Mu009 for very detailed post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
8. Have global open and close activated.
Did you mean Central Door lock / unlock? or something else?

Quote:
Extended warranty is a must, but I've only extended it to the third year so far - think hard about your usage before extending further. You can always take fourth year warranty anytime in the first three years.
Mostly, shall take for 3rd & 4th Year as max kms are 1,00,000 kms which I may complete in 3.5 to 4 years. I understand there is a cost difference in opting for 3rd/4th year warranty just after delivery and post 1 or 2 years. Shall take it after a week or 10 days after delivery

Quote:

And absolutely no need to wish you happy motoring - provided you have a good dealer (higher chance with Ford India), and a non-lemon (again, high probability), delightful motoring is GUARANTEED. There hasn't been anyone who's sat in it (let alone driven it) for a 100km or more trip and hasn't absolutely fallen in love with my car.

Cheers!
Heavy Motoring is what I do (smile). 3rd Ladakh Road trip OR a North-East Road trip plan is on the anvil for coming summer. My current car (XUV) is run 1.24 Lacs kms in just above 5 years

Quote:
5. A cargo net is a must. Get it from the aftermarket asap.
Can you share any sample pic or a reference link?

Last edited by TheIndian : 17th December 2018 at 16:54. Reason: deleted the 3rd smiley
TheIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 17:40   #3624
BANNED

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere here that you went for Yokohoma Geolander fitting it straight after taking delivery. How much is the cost difference? Are they of the same OEM size?
I paid 5800 per tire as the difference and they are 1 size upsize.

Let me know if need a tire swap, can put you in touch with friends at Gurgaon.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:45   #3625
BHPian

Quote:
Did you mean Central Door lock / unlock? or something else?
Global Open and Close are easily activated/deactivated from the RHS MID, however, it's just easier (initially) to have that useful feature activated from the get go, until you get around to digging through the menus.
Global Open - Double press the unlock button on the keyfob, keeping it pressed on the second press. All 4 windows open, the sunshade withdraws halfway and the sunroof is vented.
Global Close - Long press the lock button and all windows close, along with the sunroof and sunshade.
Both are extremely useful, IMO - especially global close.
Quote:
Heavy Motoring is what I do (smile).
Good to know that the machine will be put the use its designed for. Therefore, I will attempt to make the case for sticking to stock size wrt tyres. While there are big benefits and no clearance issues, I think there might be clearance issues in an upsize if you put snow chains. And given your intended usage, I think that might be a factor for you.
Quote:
Can you share any sample pic or a reference link?
Here you go:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20181201_222451.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20181218_110007.jpg

10$ well spent - the best accessory I bought, without question - absolutely NO SOUND over even horrible bumps at considerable speeds (when packed properly).

And now a couple of questions to the community:
1. I am giving the vehicle for its 10k service tomorrow. I think I too have lost one horn. Please confirm. I've tried to capture it as best possible in the following video. Which I've zipped and uploaded as a .rar file. The (mild) digital inconvenience is regretted:

Endeavour Horn Issue Demo.rar

I started noticing this on the way towards Spiti. At that time of course, the horn even sounded different to me (3k kms later, I'm used to just one now). But most of all, the quieter horn with a lighter press was gone - even now, that's what I'm trying to show in the video - with a significant press (not hard though) on the top parts, there's no sound.

Would be nice if recommended action could be suggested. I've seen people not bothering because of the hassle (until end of warranty) and/or worry about having stuff near airbags fiddled with. Some have had simple connectors changed, others complete assemblies (airbags included).

2. I wanted to know if dashcam mounting can interfere with the rain sensor (located behind the IRVM, if I'm not mistaken).
Check out the following pictures:

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20181218_111550.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20181218_111617.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-inkedimg_20181218_111617_li.jpg

1 - GoPro Mount
2 - Proposed spot for dashcam mount
3 - What I think is the rain sensor.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mu009 : 18th December 2018 at 15:47.
Mu009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 17:38   #3626
BHPian

Quote:
Global Open and Close are easily activated/deactivated from the RHS MID, however, it's just easier (initially) to have that useful feature activated from the get go, until you get around to digging through the menus.
Global Open - Double press the unlock button on the keyfob, keeping it pressed on the second press. All 4 windows open, the sunshade withdraws halfway and the sunroof is vented.
Global Close - Long press the lock button and all windows close, along with the sunroof and sunshade.
Both are extremely useful, IMO - especially global close.
Yes. Read in on the 1st page of this review thread. Didn't kknow that it needs to be activated. Will do it.

Quote:

Good to know that the machine will be put the use its designed for. Therefore, I will attempt to make the case for sticking to stock size wrt tyres. While there are big benefits and no clearance issues, I think there might be clearance issues in an upsize if you put snow chains. And given your intended usage, I think that might be a factor for you.
I'm an OEM stickler !! As soon as I saw n.devdath reply that Yoko's are 1 size upsize, I shelved any thoughts of tyre change. Mostly will use the stock tyres only. Does Bridgestone have any tyre in the Endy stock size?

Quote:

10$ well spent - the best accessory I bought, without question - absolutely NO SOUND over even horrible bumps at considerable speeds (when packed properly).
Looks pretty neat and extremely useful. Where did you buy it from? AliExpress? Can you share a link?
Old 18th December 2018, 19:55   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
I'm an OEM stickler !! As soon as I saw n.devdath reply that Yoko's are 1 size upsize, I shelved any thoughts of tyre change. Mostly will use the stock tyres only. Does Bridgestone have any tyre in the Endy stock size?
No no no! Don't let that stop you - Yokohama Geolanders are available in stock size too. And I would again strongly suggest getting rid of the MRFs asap - hardly a trifling sum (given the overall outlay already), and you're no longer stuck with inferior rubber for your first 30k. If the test drive impressions are strong in your memory, you'll notice quite the difference once you make the switch.

Tyres are ideally your only point of contact with the road surface. They should be the first thing to be looked after/upgraded/fussed about.

Also, while I don't know about bridgestones (they should be available though since the 4x4 Fortuner has the same spec Bridgestone tyres stock), it seems that the Yokohamas are the best option out there (holistically speaking) - I mean, I certainly wouldn't say they're better than BFG K02s off-road, but who'd want those on a dual carriageway?
Quote:
Looks pretty neat and extremely useful. Where did you buy it from? AliExpress? Can you share a link?
Unfortunately, no. I picked it up from a brick and mortar store in Noida - I just checked the price online (Amazon.com - nothing available on .in), and since I was being asked a bit under 10$ for the same thing, I happily bought it. If you simply google it, at the very least, links from bangood pop up. I think that should work just as well as aliexpress?
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:35   #3628
BANNED

Quote:
1. I am giving the vehicle for its 10k service tomorrow. I think I too have lost one horn. Please confirm.

2. I wanted to know if dashcam mounting can interfere with the rain sensor (located behind the IRVM, if I'm not mistaken).

1 - GoPro Mount
Horn replacement/rectification is an easy job and you should get it done, it is unlikely to interfere with airbag systems.

The current GoPro mount seems ok but there is a lot of reflection in the most important photo to analyse whether the proposed dashcam installation will interfere with the rain sensor.

Quote:
As soon as I saw n.devdath reply that Yoko's are 1 size upsize, I shelved any thoughts of tyre change.
While I have upsized the tires, you need not, if you don't wish to, Yokos are available in stock size and they will be slightly cheaper as well.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 09:29   #3629
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the following pictures:

1 - GoPro Mount

Cheers and thanks in advance!
I believe that Sensor 3 is the ambient light sensor for the auto dimming interior rear-view mirror. The readings from this sensor are compared against the sensor on the face of the interior rear-view mirror (black dot on the top of the mirror) and the mirror reacts accordingly.

The owner's manual warns against blocking this sensor:

Name:  Ford Endeavour Interior Rearview Mirror Owners Manual Extract.PNG
Views: 2114
Size:  27.4 KB

On a separate note, I was checking for the second OBD plug under the dashboard, in the driver's foot-well, when I noticed these two bolts sticking out of the floor board, sort of between the brake pedal and steering column. They are painted white and don't appear to have any nuts or fasteners attached to them. Does anyone know what their function is? Is there something that is supposed to be screwed into them and is missing?

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-endeavour-drivers-footwell.jpg

Thanks
awarty is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 15:16   #3630
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
- Does the Headrest on the front row come out from the seat when pulled out completely? or is there some locking mechanism? Because in 2 different TD cars, I asked the sales guy to remove it and both times both sales guys struggled and couldn't remove it.
1. Yes.
I am not sure if Ford has changed the seat design among other changes between your and mine Endeavour but in mine it is not possible to remove the headrest by simply pulling it. There is an additional lock which needs to be pressed with a small tool / screwdriver to completely remove the headrest from the seat.

Most Viewed