Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2019, 18:19   #3766
BHPian

Re: Sudden rattling noise - car in a flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.sundar View Post
Appreciate your inputs and suggestions.

Thank you
Several of us here have experienced this really disturbing issue and I can understand your concern. But this is a small problem which in my case rectified on it's own.

Apparently, it is a sticker on the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential which partly comes off and makes this noise as the shaft rotates and hence the frequency of the sound increases as the speed increases. In my case it fell off on it's own after giving me a few harrowing moments. Others have had to take it a little bit further like in your case before realizing it's nothing to be worried about.

Hope yours was a similar issue and it has been resolved.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:11. Reason: formatting fix
SCORPION is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th March 2019, 21:51   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Hi Guys, I have booked 2019 Black Ford Endeavour 3.2.

1. What tyres to change it for? and where to exchange in Bangalore?

2. What other accessories do you guys recommend?

Congratulations on the great buy. I am sure you will enjoy every bit of it like the other members here. I can see that you were following this thread from a long time and took your time in booking the Endeavour.
At present keep your stock look and enjoy it. You can add or change things later once you see prepared. You can run the MRF tyres for around 15k and then change to better tyres. By that time you may have more choice and will know exactly what you need.
Old 28th March 2019, 10:07   #3768
BHPian

Re: Sudden rattling noise - car in a flatbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by architkarpe View Post
I have been through the same problem it has been discussed in the forum earlier (Page 181) turns out to be some loose wire in the differential (that's what i was told) rectified using a cable tie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Several of us here have experienced this really disturbing issue and I can understand your concern. But this is a small problem which in my case rectified on it's own.

Apparently, it is a sticker on the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front differential which partly comes off and makes this noise as the shaft rotates and hence the frequency of the sound increases as the speed increases. In my case it fell off on it's own after giving me a few harrowing moments. Others have had to take it a little bit further like in your case before realizing it's nothing to be worried about.

Hope yours was a similar issue and it has been resolved.

Yes, it was the exact issue in my case as well. 6hrs lost in our journey due to the detour to Pondicherry.

The service adviser at Sharvesh Ford initially gave a timeline of next day delivery as he felt it is likely a differential issue. Only after I repeatedly persisted by referencing to the earlier mentioned posts and insisting on having their mechanic look first at the underbody did the issue get swiftly resolved. No complaints against the SA but the quick replies here at TeamBHP made this impact.

Attaching a picture of the part sticker that caused this scare.

Thank you all very much.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-20190326_165647.jpg

Last edited by tsk1979 : 28th March 2019 at 10:11.
vijay.sundar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:50   #3769
Senior - BHPian

Regarding this sticker issue, all those who faced this issue must write to Ford India for the benefit of others.
On the other hand Ford India must issue a service bulletin to all service centers in India. The bulletin should instruct all service centers to inspect the under part and remove the sticker.

If the senior members and moderators reading this can help, then please do so.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 20:19   #3770
BHPian

Is there a way we could remove that sticker on our own? I mean this way there will be no chances of rattling noise to due loose sticker, and on top of that if there will be any serious malfunction, we will not ignore it assuming that its just a loose sticker?

BTW, I am new user to this forum, however, reading all your valuable inputs since my purchase of beast 2 years ago. I really am amazed to see how genuine and useful information available here.
GKG4 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 23:27   #3771
BHPian

Has anyone faced an issue with sync3 where in traffic proximity sensors alert closeness to an obstacle and after that the volume don't come back to the original level just prior to the sensors going off. While it does not impact me much while music is on, however, this is bit of an irritant while I am on a call and the volume don't return to its original level after sensors have stopped beeping.

I have been to workshop multiple times, however, this issue has remained unresolved till now. Thanks
gsachin21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 05:35   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsachin21 View Post
Has anyone faced an issue with sync3 where in traffic proximity sensors alert closeness to an obstacle and after that the volume don't come back to the original level just prior to the sensors going off. While it does not impact me much while music is on, however, this is bit of an irritant while I am on a call and the volume don't return to its original level after sensors have stopped beeping.

I have been to workshop multiple times, however, this issue has remained unresolved till now. Thanks
Yes, faced this multiple times, it usually happen when second obstacle comes in proximity as soon as first obstacle is out of range and sound is about to increase.
Old 29th March 2019, 10:11   #3773
BHPian

I'm facing this issue as well. It looks like there is no solution.
Old 29th March 2019, 10:49   #3774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
I'm facing this issue as well. It looks like there is no solution.
Possible solution is switch off the sensors after you are out of the driveway. They are mainly parking sensors and in a country like India where traffic passes so close by it does not make sense to keep it on.

I always use them only while parking or moving in a restricted area like a mall, movie theatre parking etc.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 12:23   #3775
BHPian

PointZero is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 12:51   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypa View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 3.2 Titanium purchased in October 2016. It has done about 37k kms.

After the first flat tire though, I was surprised when the lug wrench that came with the car did not fit the nuts on the tire. It kept slipping, and even damaged some of the nuts. At first I thought I was doing it wrong, but a couple of helpful taxi drivers / mechanics also tried and said it was the wrong size for the nuts.

Has anybody experienced this? I was, honestly, amazed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
I tried to change the spare but the spanner would not fit (over sized nuts) and some taxi guys helped but as luck would have it they could only loosen 5 out of the 6 nuts (one became free) and despite everything we could not change the tyre.
Back in Delhi I took the car to the service center and gave them a piece of my mind. There, one guy told me, that they have faced this issue of the nuts 'swelling up' due to repeated tyre rotation and balancing (my Endy had done 50k by then). I blasted them that if they had known about this then they should have recalled the car or advised to get them changed at any of the regular services. [b]
My vehicle is May 2016 model.

I too implore all Endy friends, especially the ones having done above 25k, to check the nuts with the spanner in their cars. I was with my family, in a place with no cellular signal and late evening and cold wind. I cannot imagine the ordeal if i would have had to leave my beast there, in the wilderness .
Apart from the above posts by Kaypa and Hellzboy, there have been several other reports of Ford (Endeavour, Ecosport and some other models) lug nuts getting swollen. I faced this problem in my April 2018 Endeavour 2.2 Titanium recently. I was trying to remove a wheel myself and found that the wheel spanner supplied with the car was not fitting some of the nuts.

I searched for this problem online and when I Googled "Ford swollen lug nuts" I got huge number of reports about this problem from USA, India and elsewhere. It was obvious that it is a fairly common problem faced by thousands of Ford customers. Let me share some of the reports I found online :

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...awsuit-claims/

"They may look nice, but two-piece lug nuts on the wheels of millions of Ford vehicles can become swollen and near impossible to remove with a standard lug wrench, according to a complaint filed recently by law firm Hagens Berman.

As to the Ford lug nuts, the firm said millions of vehicles from a variety of makes and model years could be affected, but the complaint so far names Ford’s Fusion, Escape, Flex, Focus, F-150, and F-350 vehicles from the early to mid-2010s.

The problem is alleged to be that, rather than being fabricated completely out of steel, the lug nuts were instead made with a steel core and a chrome, aluminum, or stainless steel cap to match the vehicle’s wheels, according to the complaint. It claims that the lug nuts can swell and delaminate after changes in temperature and exposure to moisture. Vehicle owners then have to try (and apparently fail) to remove the swollen lug nuts with a lug wrench supplied with the Ford vehicles. Then they have to replace them."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ap/1835282002/

"The power tools that service shops use to put wheels on and off can generate more force than the nuts are designed for. That can create gaps that let water and dirt in between the cap and nut. Standard tools don’t fit the nut, leaving the wheel stuck on the car."

http://www.fordproblems.com/swollen-lug-nuts/

"Most lug nuts are one piece of hardened steel, but Ford chose a design that puts an aluminum cap over a steel core. The cap is notorious for swelling and delaminating when it gets hot, and it’s also a great place to trap moisture and promote corrosion."

With my own Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science background I theoretically analysed the problem taking into account the reports I found online and drew the following conclusions :
1) Ford decided to use composite (steel core covered with a shiny 'cap' made of some other metal / alloy) lug nuts purely for decorative purposes.

2) Due to an inherent design / manufacturing defect, the bonding / lamination between the inner core and outer cap is not very good and they tend to get delaminated.

3) Delamination is often caused by the use of pneumatic wrenches by workshops. Pneumatic tools are invariably used by all workshops worldwide because they quickly remove / refit the lug nuts. But the problem is that most of them apply vibratory torque, something akin to hammering. That is why they are known as 'pneumatic impact wrenches'.

4) Once even the slightest delamination takes place, a small gap gets created between the core and cap. Subsequently water / moisture enters the gap and corrosion starts. Corrosion is a chemical process and the presence of dissimilar metals which are far apart in the Electrochemical Series is the ideal situation for rapid corrosion. The products of corrosion cause swelling of the outer 'cap' because it is relatively thin and soft.

5) Once the cap swells up, the wheel wrench can't fit the lug nut. Furthermore, when delamination is complete, there is relative movement between the core and cap and even when a lug nut is tight it appears loose!
Now let me come back to the problem in my Endeavour. I sent email to Ford India and requested them to change the defective lug nuts under warranty. They sent a mechanic to my residence who changed 4 out of 6 lug nuts in my affected wheel. I requested him to check the lug nuts in the other 3 wheels too. He did so and made the shocking observation that almost all the lug nuts were delaminated and some had started swelling!

I again sent a detailed mail to Ford India and they subsequently changed all the lug nuts free of cost under warranty. But since the new lug nuts appear identical to the earlier ones, I remain skeptical. But I have decided to never allow use of Pneumatic Wrench for removing / fitting lug nuts. Even during the recent replacement of my lug nuts I ensured that hand wrench was used. In my Endeavour, all wheels had been removed / refitted twice at Ford workshops during 2,500 km and 10,000 km service using pneumatic impact wrench.

To conclude, my advice to all Endeavour / Ecosport owners are :
1) Never allow use of pneumatic impact wrench to remove / refit lug nuts, including in Ford workshops.

2) Periodically, and especially before a long drive, take out the wheel spanner supplied with the tool kit and ensure it fits all the lug nuts. Turn the wheel spanner gently in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions over every lug nut to identify delamination.
Request to Mods : Since this is a problem which also affects cars other than Endeavour, this post may be moved to a new thread if considered appropriate.
debuda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 19:00   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
To conclude, my advice to all Endeavour / Ecosport owners are :
1) Never allow use of pneumatic impact wrench to remove / refit lug nuts, including in Ford workshops.

2) Periodically, and especially before a long drive, take out the wheel spanner supplied with the tool kit and ensure it fits all the lug nuts. Turn the wheel spanner gently in clockwise and anti-clockwise directions over every lug nut to identify delamination.
Totally agree. I had a similar problem with some of the nuts - around a year back - in my 3 year old Endeavour. The workshop promptly changed all 24 nuts and I did not have to reach out to Ford for it. Apparently a known issue and Ford has authorized them to take a call locally.

But your observation is right. The pneumatic wrenches in the garages do not have a torque setting and this loosening of exterior shell happens if the Torque is more then 135 NM. After understanding this issue, I have instructed my regular wheel balancing workshop and the service center to use only manual wrenches. I also have a Torque wrench just for this purpose in the Truck now.
nareshtrao is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2019, 20:12   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointZero View Post
I attended this demo by Ford in Kolkata where the capabilities of Endeavour 3.2 (4WD) were showcased. I drove one of their cars and completed the entire course (which you can see in the video) effortlessly, keeping the Endy in 4L throughout. Never needed to use differential lock.

There is no doubt that the Endeavour is a very capable SUV, one of the best available in India.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st April 2019 at 15:55. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
debuda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 11:05   #3779
BHPian

Attended the Ford Endeavour Drive with BHPian roby_dk where I took my own truck to the track. Thanks to him for all the outside vehicle shots

Part 1/2

Part 2/2

The effortless nature with which the Endeavour completes these tracks is simply amazing.
A.G. is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 21:29   #3780
BHPian

Guys, I live in Noida
Is there any group or any way to join Ford Off-road events nearby?
I really wish to join such event as long as my Endy is safe, willing to test the limits until its safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks