Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 26th September 2019, 18:01   #4066
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

I recently got a chance to check the new V Cross with 1,9 Ltr Engine & Auto gearbox. I expect FORD to launch the smaller Bi-Turbo engine in Euro 6 version sometime between January to March as the existing 3,2/ 2,2 may not be Euro 6 compliant. But if that's not the case and FORD can manage compliance on the new engines with Adblue, it's ok to pick the cars at this time. I won't worry much with Mahindra/ Ford thing.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2019 at 18:07.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2019, 18:59   #4067
BHPian

Ford and Mahindra are trying to co develop a BS VI small engine. Diesel will become quite expensive in BS VI and hence a co development model is more efficient. Post BSVI lot of player will start leaving diesel as it will not be a profit making proposition. Mahindra is already heavily invested in diesel and given its low credibility in petrol doesn’t want to leave diesel. Ford also feels that given its good manufacturing setup and low competition it can have a play in diesel. Globally there are very few companies who have really good knowledge about low cost smaller BSVI Diesel engines as there is no other country where it has been done. European are expensive and Americans and Japanese never made smaller Diesel engines. Another problem is that in CAFE norms you have to move to automatic transmission as manual transmission will not be able to fulfil the norms. Globally whole auto industry has moved to collaboration model, as investing in new technologies has become quite expensive. Apart from this no one wants to heavily invest in fossil fuel technology when EV threat is looming large. Mahindra being also a CV player still wants to invest in diesel technology. It will help from Fords knowhow as it is an old American player with significant diesel knowledge and understanding of rugged torque converter automatic transmissions. Whole of Europe and Japan prefers DCT or CVT which is good but expensive and not as rugged as you want for India. Ford gets benefit of scale when it works with Mahindra. Yes there are talks of both developing SUV together but In my knowledge it is not yet firmed up whereas they have progressed reasonably well as far as engine is concerned. Mahindra is not yet sure about which automatic transmission technology it wants to adopt so it is experimenting with DCT also, so no firmed up plan there. As of now there is very low probability of Ford leaving India. One must also remember that Ford is not very successful in China and Europe so only Non American large market left for it is India and it is not in very bad shape in US. It’s traditional vehicles in US still do well and it is not as big in EV as some other companies are, so for it to completely leave a large market which is still going to have a long life of fossil fuel products would not be prudent. We are still seeing Indian auto market ad liner extrapolation of past however things can take surprise turn post BSVI and CAFE norms.
anupamtiwari is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2019, 11:10   #4068
BHPian

Friends need one help, I am a prospective buyer, have been following this thread since a long time. Would anyone have anything negative purely based on product quality or service issues to flag off. Thanks a on in advance.
anupamtiwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 15:20   #4069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamtiwari View Post
Friends need one help, I am a prospective buyer, have been following this thread since a long time. Would anyone have anything negative purely based on product quality or service issues to flag off. Thanks a on in advance.
Product quality is best in class, no complains.
Just had those nuts issues, which were replaced without cost, and should already be fixed with new release.

For service, yes, software upgrades. Service centers are still needs to be pushed to do those updates.

Apart from that, you are in the right direction pal, just for it. You wont regret ever.
GKG4 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2019, 18:54   #4070
BHPian

M&M and Ford India enters into a JV
1) M&M and Ford India to enter into a 51:49 JV.
2) EV for this entity is valued at Rs 1925cr (Equity Rs 1289 crs and 636 crs debt). M&M equity share for 51% stands at Rs 657cr.
3) The above JV will include assembly plants of Ford India (4.4lac capacity ) excluding engine mfg facility at Sanand.
4) M&M will operationally control the JV and will aim to grow Ford band in India and export markets.
5) The JV will introduce 3 new UVs under Ford brand (commonality with M&M's product platform)
6) JV will also focus on developing and selling EVs across emerging markets.
7) JV will use Ford network in emerging markets to support M&M's exports.
anupamtiwari is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 14:57   #4071
BHPian

Paid advance and going to do PDI tomorrow morning, anything important that I should keep in mind. TIA.
anupamtiwari is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2019, 20:03   #4072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamtiwari View Post
Paid advance and going to do PDI tomorrow morning, anything important that I should keep in mind. TIA.
Yes, hold your horses with the beast on first ride. I bet, it will be most difficult part to do immediate Post Delivery

Good luck! Man and welcome to the club... officially
GKG4 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2019, 20:44   #4073
BHPian

20,000 km / 17 months update on my Endeavour : I returned to Kolkata last week after a 4,700 km, 13-day expedition to Spiti Valley in Himachal Pradesh. I have uploaded a picture travelogue on that trip which can be seen here.

My Endeavour 2.2 performed superbly. Buying the Endeavour in 2018 was one of my best decisions. It's in a completely different league as compared to my previous SUV, an XUV-500. The automatic transmission worked superbly on the hill roads and even on very steep climbs I found my engine power and torque more than adequate, with no perceptible drop in power at high altitudes. The suspension took everything in its stride and the ride quality and handling are awesome. My Endeavour is Rear Wheel Drive and not once did I feel the need for 4x4 though the roads in Spiti Valley were one of the worst and most treacherous I have ever encountered. My rear wheels did not lose traction anywhere though I drove over several water crossings and muddy stretches.

While taking a hairpin bend on the way to Chandratal my front RHS tyre (original MRF Wanderer) suffered sidewall rupture. By hindsight, this damage was avoidable. I was taking an anticlockwise hairpin turn on a steep upward incline on a narrow broken road strewn with boulders. Long wheelbase cars like the Endeavour have a disadvantage in such situations (narrow hairpins). Firstly, a 3-point turning may be required. Secondly, the huge bonnet rises up and blocks forward view. Instead of 3-point turning, I tried to turn at one go and my front RHS tyre sidewall apparently hit a sharp boulder.

From Chandratal we returned all the way to Kolkata without a spare wheel! The route Chandratal - Batal - Gramphu was really horrible and dangerous and we had our hearts in our mouths without a spare wheel. Once we reached Gramphu without further mishap, I decided to drive on without a spare wheel because the risk of sidewall damage was negligible thereafter and the worst we could expect was a puncture for which I was prepared (was carrying tubeless puncture repair kit plus tyre inflator). After returning to Kolkata I bought a new MRF Wanderer 265/60 R18 A/T.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-13-2nd-wife.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-53-tabo-dhankar.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-72-beyond-kaza.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-78-batal-gramphu.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 8th October 2019 at 09:02. Reason: Correcting Endy to Endeavour
debuda is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 18:16   #4074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
[b]My Endeavour 2.2 performed superbly. Buying the Endeavour in 2018 was one of my best decisions. It's in a completely different league as compared to my previous SUV, an XUV-500. The automatic transmission worked superbly on the hill roads and even on very steep climbs I found my engine power and torque more than adequate, with no perceptible drop
I too had the XUV500 previous to my 3.2L 4x4 endeavour. It's a wonderful vehicle to drive and can perform well in any terrain. Was just wondering what will be the future of the endeavour after BSVI and diesel engines ultimately fazing out.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 18:56   #4075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I too had the XUV500 previous to my 3.2L 4x4 endeavour. It's a wonderful vehicle to drive and can perform well in any terrain. Was just wondering what will be the future of the endeavour after BSVI and diesel engines ultimately fazing out.
The bi-turbo is waiting in the wings to address BS VI. Diesel phase out isn't happening in the near future, as per our transport minister. Don't worry about it yet. Enjoy the wonderful vehicle for as long as you have it.
rovingeye is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2019, 19:08   #4076
BHPian

Quote:
Was just wondering what will be the future of the endeavour after BSVI and diesel engines ultimately fazing out.
BSVI engines, diesels being phased out, Nissan exiting India etc etc!

Lets stay in the present, discuss current topics and beat them to death.

Nobody knows what will happen in the future and the companies will have strategies to counter if and when they encounter those situations. One day even this planet might get wiped out.
Nalin1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 10:50   #4077
BHPian

Quote:
Was just wondering what will be the future of the endeavour after BSVI and diesel engines ultimately fazing out.
Even those who would buy the BS4 Endeavour in 2020 can officially use it as long as its registration is valid, i.e., for next 15 years. Knowing how things work in India and taking into account that most commercial diesel vehicles on Indian roads today don't even meet BS4 standards, the 15 year life is likely to be extended substantially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
The bi-turbo is waiting in the wings to address BS VI. Diesel phase out isn't happening in the near future, as per our transport minister. Don't worry about it yet. Enjoy the wonderful vehicle for as long as you have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
Nobody knows what will happen in the future and the companies will have strategies to counter if and when they encounter those situations. One day even this planet might get wiped out.
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2019, 18:38   #4078
BHPian

Considering the BSVI regulations coming next year in 2020, do you think Ford or Ford-Mahindra will launch the Bi-turbo engines in India? I think no because the overall cost will be well over 40 lakhs and then it would not be competitively priced against its prime rival - The Fortuner.
By the way, the current Endeavour can match BSVI using the adblue technology , however that's another question to ask.
ruzbehxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 19:54   #4079
BHPian

The brochure says Semi Auto Parallel or Perpendicular Park Assist.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-park-assist.jpg

Does any one has any experience or feedback with Perpendicular Park Assist ??

It seems you need to press the park assist button 2 times to enable the Perpendicular Park Assist mode, please try it.

https://www.india.ford.com/brochure/...avour_2019_FIN
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2019, 22:54   #4080
BHPian

Last one week I was using a Prado in Dubai ... That made me to think that Endeavour is much more value for money and offers plenty for what we pay. Couple of observations on Prado, when compared to Endeavour ... ( i was using a "2020 PRADO 4.0 L 5 door " which is the top most variant).
  • The third row seat is not at all useful for adults.
  • With all three rows up, there is no luggage room at all
  • The second row ingress and outgress is very tough, because the doors don't open widely.
  • No Apple car play and Android auto .. (I was seriously surprised to see this )
  • The reverse camera quality is pathetic (in night)_. It doesn't even give the guidance
  • The sound system is very ordinary.
  • Front sensors just make noise, no visual indication at all
  • No Auto headlamp ..
  • Doesn't have a panoramic sun roof
  • The system time and the ICE time controls are different and you need to set them up differently.
  • The Passenger seat is only 2 way electrically adjustable

Couple of things I like about the Prado over Endy were
  • None of the settings, you can adjust when the vehicle is in motion
  • The 4.0 L V6 engine is silent smooth.
  • The Storage area under the arm rest in front is used as the mini refrigerator. (Cooled container)
anumod is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote