Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:19   #4621
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
Thanks. Will try and get in touch with Ford Customer Care and see if they can help.

As far as the failure goes there were no warning signs whatsoever and car was doing speeds as per the expressway limits ~ 100 Km/Hr. However just before the failure and engine going free there was a mild thud thud sound heard under the middle seat as far as they remember. It must have been hardly 10-15 days after the last service and even those guys did not warn us regarding any problems as such.
Please do that. Contacting Ford customer care really helped me. Pl see my post earlier in the thread. I had the same problem at the end of Dec 2021.
Old 28th March 2022, 09:32   #4622

Are there any early warning signs to show the torque convertor is failing?
Old 28th March 2022, 10:25   #4623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthi.dorai View Post
Jerks, slipping, thud or any other noise when in D mode or when shifting gears in S mode, same when you move from eg drive to park or neutral or reverse.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:00   #4624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's actually not the torque converter that fails. Its the flex plate that attaches the flywheel to the torque converter that does. The welds on the flex plate break (such as in this case (Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!))which means the car is just freewheeling without any power going through the TC. It's as good as being in neutral.

Unlike a TC failure, where the symptoms including a decrease in performance (slippage) or jerks (issues with the valve body or solenoids) occur, a flex plate failure won't give any prior warning in most cases. At the most, owners have reported a rattling sound very shortly before the car lost drive. So there's no real way of knowing the flex plate is on its way out TBH.
vishy76 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 20:57   #4625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
It's actually not the torque converter that fails. Its the flex plate that attaches the flywheel to the torque converter that does. The welds on the flex plate break (such as in this case (Ford Endeavour 3.2 AT - Gearbox failure. Recalled in other countries, but not in India!))which means the car is just freewheeling without any power going through the TC. It's as good as being in neutral.

Unlike a TC failure, where the symptoms including a decrease in performance (slippage) or jerks (issues with the valve body or solenoids) occur, a flex plate failure won't give any prior warning in most cases. At the most, owners have reported a rattling sound very shortly before the car lost drive. So there's no real way of knowing the flex plate is on its way out TBH.
That is the correct assessment as far as I can understand the issue as well since the car was driving perfectly before that and it had been going through a equal mix of highway and city driving.

I have been promised the delivery of my car by tomorrow or day after at most. If I am able to get hold of the invoice stating the replacement parts will try posting it on the thread for better clarity.
beanstalk_230 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 12:03   #4626
BHPian

My Endeavour has now run close to 40K km and have couple of bad punctures on the stock tyres. I need to change tyres now. I had seen a few discussions on this thread and I think most gravitated towards Geolander G015. I am leaning towards that but still not decided which ones to replace the stock Wanderers with.

Is there anything that we need to do at the dealership after/along with tyre change? ( considering the pressure sensors are present )? This is my first car with any TPMS. So not sure if its OK to change tyre at some place like Tyre empire or it need to be done at dealership.

Also any recommendation on where to change in Bangalore? Appreciate your inputs.
Old 31st March 2022, 13:36   #4627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger747 View Post

Also any recommendation on where to change in Bangalore? Appreciate your inputs.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangalore/

This shall help you, please go through few threads and you can take your call. G015 is good as are Falken Wildpeaks, Pirelli Scorpion ATR. The local shops may have few other choices too, would recommend visiting them & insisting on the most fresh stocks you can find.

Endeavour tire related thread LINK.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st March 2022 at 16:02.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 14:49   #4628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is there anything that we need to do at the dealership after/along with tyre change? ( considering the pressure sensors are present )? This is my first car with any TPMS. So not sure if its OK to change tyre at some place like Tyre empire or it need to be done at dealership.

I changed my tyres (for a different car) at Tyre Empire last weekend and while there, I saw they had stock for Yoko G015. They're well equipped and handle all types of cars including Merc and BMW. Changing your tyres there shouldn't be a problem at all.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 08:19   #4629
BHPian

Quote:
My Endeavour has now run close to 40K km and have couple of bad punctures on the stock tyres. I need to change tyres now. I had seen a few discussions on this thread and I think most gravitated towards Geolander G015. I am leaning towards that but still not decided which ones to replace the stock Wanderers with.

GO15 from Geolander is not a great tire. They're ok. Radials don't work well I feel. Every bump seems to unseat the car. Also my experience with the GO15 seems that they're good for the first 20k kms but after that I had punctures constantly, sidewall cuts that appeared out of no where... after about another 20k of dealing with it and losing confidence with them I went for MAXXIS. Tough durable and a bit of noise but not bothersome. 285/60/R18 work well on the Endy. Both on GO15's and the MAXXIS. Endeavour also looks pretty good. The wider tires do help in traction. Everything else is really the same. I've always thought the endeavour with the stock 265/60/R18 is like a T Rex with those tiny arms...
Valhalla1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 10:00   #4630
BHPian

Quote:

I have used 2 sets of G015 till now - the first set 3 years back was awful in the first 10k kms in terms of punctures but did very well after that and lasted a good 62k kms before I switched to another set - this time on 275s instead of 265s - and so far - have completed 10k on it with zero punctures or any trouble. The sidewall seems much better on this new set. Can go for them without any concern !

For TPMS - just let the shop know and they will be slightly more careful in handling - thats all !
prateekvidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 12:41   #4631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla1979 View Post
285/60/R18 work well on the Endy. Both on GO15's and the MAXXIS. Endeavour also looks pretty good. The wider tires do help in traction. Everything else is really the same.
Thanks for the pointers! Will I be able to keep the spare ( original spec R17 Wanderer ) as it is in that case? I don't plan to change that right now. Just the 4 tyres itself is a good drain on the wallet
Old 1st April 2022, 13:10   #4632
BHPian

I don't think I will be able to upgrade to 285 without changing spare wheel also. Diameter do not match. 275 is has still comparable diameter ( only 0.4 inch change, but that also I guess will be a concern if I have to run on the spare longer ).

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screenshot-20220401-1.06.49-pm.png
Ranger747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 16:24   #4633
BHPian

Quote:
In my case there were no warning signs.
Old 1st April 2022, 22:14   #4634
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers! Will I be able to keep the spare ( original spec R17 Wanderer ) as it is in that case? I don't plan to change that right now. Just the 4 tyres itself is a good drain on the wallet
If upsizing, best to get a similar sized tire. I asked the tire shop for a spare alloy and they happened to have an Endeavour alloy. And I just mounted one of the older 285's, with the least number of punctures on to it.

If not, the good news is that you can still use the wanderer with the steel rim.. but it is meant to be temporary. Which means fix your tire immediatly. You cannot drive faster than 80kmph.

I learnt the hard way that you just cannot get a proper fix of your tire mid journey anywhere unless you're close to a well equipped tire shop. Those plugs that they poke into your tire where the puncture is, without actually removing the tire off the rim, actually only succeeds in enlarging the puncture hole.

And in that case, you need to keep driving. So now it's a pain to stick to 80kmph and if you go over 80kmph, weird things start happening. Like knocks and bumps that I can't exactly explain.

So really, and ultimately, it's just better to spring for a full size spare and rim or alloy. Save you the trouble on long journeys.
Valhalla1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 19:41   #4635
BHPian

After some more thinking, I decided to go for a set of soft A/Ts ( softies? ) for now. Michelin LTX Trail. With same as stock specs, so I can retain the spare as it is for now. 90% of my driving is on roads. The rest 10% is just really bad roads. Not any hard core off-road trail. So I figured I should stick to a set of wannabe A/Ts instead of hard core A/Ts. Purchased and fitment in Tyre Empire HSR Layout, Bangalore. Service was very good. Manju, their senior tech did the balancing, alignment etc. First impression while driving back home; the handling and overall ride quality has really improved. Now, I was warned of some noise in the 80-120kmph speeds. I haven't done that yet to comment anything first hand. I am counting on the superior noise isolation of Endeavour to handle that. I will find a spare with full size alloy and may be for next change, I will go wider to 275 or 285. Lets see...
Going in, I had Falkon wildpeaks in my mind. Shop didn't have any Falkons, my choice came down to Between Micheline LTX trail, Pirelli Scorpion finally. I have close to 2 lakh km history with various Michelins, haven't had any complaint. Hence the choice.

Name:  Michelin_LTX_Trail1.jpeg
Views: 832
Size:  60.1 KB

Name:  Michelin_LTX_Trail2.jpeg
Views: 868
Size:  63.8 KB
Ranger747 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks