Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2016, 10:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedshift View Post
An excellent review. Covers everything to absolute detail. The waiting periods and sales would definitely increase once the ban in NCR gets over. All Ford needs to do is go all guns blazing marketing the Endeavour.

I hope that Ford sorts out their inventory and back log by then. Even those who have booked the SUV in Jan 2016 haven't been given a concrete delivery date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravelsnip@gmail View Post
I have a doubt, when the bookings started at the far end of january, they sold 480 in just 7 days?
As Turbanator mentioned, these are factory dispatches to dealerships across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I just booked the 3.2 Titanium yesterday and hope to get this soon. This review greatly helps understand the details we otherwise overlook.
Congratulations for your purchase. Please start an ownership thread once you've settled in with the vehicle. What is the estimated waiting period in Bangalore for the 3.2L Titanium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Excellent review ! Must say that the car is indeed promising. I noticed that the metal plate of the 3.2 was cracked from the side. Is it an optical illusion or has the metal cracked like plastic ?
I highly doubt it was cracked. It's possible that it brushed against something which left a mark on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atthewheel View Post
Few clarifications:
1. You mention that MRF Wanderers may not be the best tires for off-road, what would you recommend? And can we just ask the dealer to shod the car in those, or do we need to do it ourselves at a tire store?
2. Did you see a sizable gap between the second and third rows when you flatten both of them?
3. What did you gather about Satnav as an accessory? Is it simply an SD card we buy from the dealer?
1. I'll let karan561 and other tyre experts suggest you an alternative tyre brand. Although, I am aware that sourcing 265/60 R18 tyres in India will be a little difficult.

2. No. The gap between the second and third row seats when folded flat is very less. Also, since the middle row seats slide, the gap can further reduce / increase.

3. I'm not a 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Sorry for nitpicking I saw a discrepancy. Does Endeavour have triple-zone or dual zone climate control?

One more doubt:

Is the centre differential lockable (manually or otherwise)?
As GTO clarified, it is technically a dual zone auto climate control for the front passengers. Still, the middle row passengers have the option to control the blower speed and temperature of the rear air-con manually. So triple zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Lockup TC obviously. Details of when it locks and unlocks.
More details of the basic 4X4 system please. (Separate from the TMS.) eg. How does it manage a variable torque split between front and rear? Electronic locking diff:- Diff relly locks, or fancy name for automatically applying brakes?

Regards
Sutripta
The torque split is via an active transfer case which transmits power to the front or rear wheel (40:60 rear biased in normal mode) depending on the condition.

Secondly, the Endeavour gets a proper locking rear differential and is not merely a fancy name. This can be locked in manually, or automatically via some of the TMS driving modes. From the manual:

Quote:
The electronic locking differential is a device housed in the rear axle that allows both rear wheels to turn at the same speed. The electronic locking differential can provide additional traction should your vehicle become stuck. You can activate the differential electronically and shift it on the fly within the differential operating speed range. The differential is for use in mud, rocks, sand, or any off-road condition where you need maximum traction. It is not for use on dry pavement.

The following conditions will affect the electronic locking differential:
• The electronic locking differential will not engage if your vehicle speed is too
high (above 35 km/h in Normal mode).
• The electronic locking differential will automatically disengage when speed
is too high and will automatically re-engage when vehicle speed is low
enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
I was really looking out for the 2.2L MT test drive as i am a stick shift junkie.
Did anyone get to test drive the 2.2L MT ?
So are we. The manual Endeavour isn't a part of the press fleet yet and most dealers don't even have one on display, leave aside for test drive. I guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks to get behind the wheel of the 2.2 manual.

Last edited by S2!!! : 17th February 2016 at 10:52.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 11:11   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Congratulations for your purchase. Please start an ownership thread once you've settled in with the vehicle. What is the estimated waiting period in Bangalore for the 3.2L Titanium?
Thanks S2.

The stated waiting period is 60 days though an earlier delivery has been assured. Now I hear that Ford has formally instructed the dealers to stick to 60 days as the official line.

I booked with Lathangi Ford (there are 4 dealers here in Bangalore - Metro, Elite, Cauvery and Lathangi) on 15th. I am told that the booking has been logged with the Ford official booking system. However, I have not yet received any formal mail from Ford or any phone call as some of the others who have booked have stated.

Of course I will be happy to start an ownership thread as soon as I get it. In case anyone else starts the thread earlier, I will surely contribute to the same thread.

I will also post my purchase experience based on how the interactions with Lathangi Ford go from now till the delivery. They are a relatively small (and a tad new) dealership but the sales team seems enthusiastic and responsive unlike other bigger dealers.

I had a very sorry experience with Metro Ford before I decided to look for options. They were not responsive and the Test Drive vehicle was not available with them. Further, for almost 10-12 days the showroom display vehicle was languishing without a battery. While the Bank I went for finance recommended Metro Ford and assured that I will get a quicker delivery due to their relationship with the Bank, I decided to stick with Lathangi Ford as I found the staff to be friendly and accessible. And they had already put in the "Sales Effort".

One hitch though. They insist that I should take the Ford comprehensive insurance which seems very expensive compared to other external Insurance companies. In the interest of relationship I decided to go with it after I was assured that they will work out a better deal.

More updates to follow.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th February 2016 at 11:15.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 11:11   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
I was really looking out for the 2.2L MT test drive as i am a stick shift junkie. i already own an ecosport and looking out to upgrade to an Endeavour.

Did anyone get to test drive the 2.2L MT ?

Thanks
Will be available from April only.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...eavour-56.html
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 11:23   #49
BHPian

Another fantastic product from Ford. But I am worried it will suffer like the Figo twins while "safer choices" take the volume. Can Ford take on Toyota and beat it? I really hope so!
Old 17th February 2016, 11:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
There is rust deposit on the drive shaft - differential linkage already?
I see some fluid leakage behind the seal - normal??
Old 17th February 2016, 12:13   #51
BHPian

Excellent review there S2. Voted this thread very deserving 5 stars. A must read for prospective buyers. The new Endeavour is so feature packed that it makes the current Fortuner look terribly over priced. Kudos to Ford for pricing it so competitively. The ball now is in Toyota's court
CarMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 13:20   #52
BHPian

Excellent Review S2 ! *****

I actually feel like I've spent at least a day with the car, after reading the detailed review. And I confess, even after spending a day with the Endeavour I wouldn't have been able to pick up 50% of the info which I got from this review. It is simply masterclass. As someone mentioned, a Textbook for The Endeavour.

Coming to the Endeavour, Ford has got it totally right. The exteriors, interiors, engines, gearboxes, features. You name it and its a green Tick. I would not be surprised if the customers devour this product. Expecting long waiting periods. Toyota should hurry up and bring the updated Innova and Fortuner to India, before the dwindling market share falls beyond recovery.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 17th February 2016 at 13:24.
drive2eternity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:16   #53
BHPian

Thanks for the brilliant review!

As mentioned, the second row seats not tumbling away for access to the third row will be a deal breaker for folks who are considering this as a family vehicle. It's quite awkward to get in and get out.

I saw one in Bangalore the day before near the ORR/Bellandur area. The taillights look gorgeous. I definitely think this is a solid competitor to the Fortuner. But with the new Fortuner not so far away, Toyota may just have to look at this thread and close the gaps

Do the third row occupants also get side curtain airbags? Didn't see any pics of the second row airbag placement as well.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:20   #54
BHPian

Awesome review S2 , covered everything under the sun, or should we say inside the Endeavour!!!!!

I can't comment on the market perception or taste , but i have been a big fan of boxy suv designs from ford and chevy(tahoe).

Is it me alone or is there others also who feel that the new Endeavour has a lot of design lines like the dodge durango

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...06-16-2011.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-2011_dodge_durango_citadel__06162011.jpg  

Ne0N is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:22   #55
BANNED

Nope, it looks like this endy has been lifted from the pick up truck ford ranger.
Old 17th February 2016, 14:29   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
Of course not. Leave aside customer cars, Ford India should've at least ensured that their press cars are properly maintained and thoroughly checked. Detailed ownership reports will only tell whether this is a one off case or a gremlin that'll affect all cars.
Old 17th February 2016, 14:32   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Of course not. Leave aside customer cars, Ford India should've at least ensured that their press cars are properly maintained and thoroughly checked. Detailed ownership reports will only tell whether this is a one off case or a gremlin that'll affect all cars.
Hmm..."incorrect battery install" anyone??
SuperFlyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:52   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Do the third row occupants also get side curtain airbags? Didn't see any pics of the second row airbag placement as well.
Yes, the side curtain airbags are located over the windows - front and rear. The airbag sign is present on the B-pillar.

Attached is a picture from the brochure for your reference:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-airbags.png

You can see them in action in the crash test video too (in the The Smaller yet Significant Things post).

Last edited by S2!!! : 17th February 2016 at 15:09.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 14:57   #59
Senior - BHPian

Ford has done a good job with the Endeavour. It simply looks too good inside out, has good engines and should be reliable. Ford might eat (a little) into Toyota's volumes now, but remember that Toyota has got the larger production capacity, rolling out 1000+ units/month.
Here start the dealer discounts for the Fortuner.

I'm just waiting for the new Fortuner.
No, I'm waiting to see the pricing of the new Fortuner.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2016, 15:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Great review as always guys! Would have loved more pictures though

I hope you were not serious about whatever you were writing down here, thats the grease that is spilled around the seal!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
anachronix is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed