Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 14:53   #3331
BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Coming to think of it, has anyone changed their new Endeavour's battery yet? If so could you tell us what make and Ah rating battery you replaced it with? Stock is 90 Ah, as mentioned by N.Devdath earlier in this thread. Apart from this information I have had no luck in finding the actual details of the Endeavour's battery. Size, DIN stuff like that. Not available on the Internet nor in the owner's manual. Guess Ford wants you to replace it with another Ford (branded) battery only.

May be it is just instinct. But looking at the puny battery (Ah rating notwithstanding) as compared to the rest of the car, I have always had a sliver of concern at the back of my mind. I have always had the feeling that it was not up to the mark. I have had to jump start it once but that was because of a mistake.

Last edited by SCORPION : 7th September 2018 at 14:59.
SCORPION is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 16:42   #3332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypa View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a 3.2 Titanium purchased in October 2016. It has done about 37k kms.

My wife and I recently drove from Delhi to Ladakh via Srinagar. What a trip, but details for a separate post.

I have the stock MRF tires and never felt the need to change them. On this trip, however, we got a lot of flats. It must have been because of the terrain.

After the first flat tire though, I was surprised when the lug wrench that came with the car did not fit the nuts on the tire. It kept slipping, and even damaged some of the nuts. At first I thought I was doing it wrong, but a couple of helpful taxi drivers / mechanics also tried and said it was the wrong size for the nuts.

Has anybody experienced this? I was, honestly, amazed. Luckily I managed to get the correct size from a mechanic I befriended in Hanle so that we could deal with additional emergencies.

I have written to Ford to check on the issue, lets see what they say. Still, wanted to check with other owners who have cars from the same time (Mid-late 2016).

Love the beast otherwise. Nothing else comes close.
Hi Kaypa. I had a similar experience on a similar route but on the other side. We had gone for a family road trip to Spiti Valley, in June this year and ended with a nasty side wall cut on our way back from Chandra taal ( there is no 'road', just the mountain has been cut in to). The tire monitor immediately sounded the alarm and i was lucky to find a stretch to park on the side without obstructing the flow of traffic.
I tried to change the spare but the spanner would not fit (over sized nuts) and some taxi guys helped but as luck would have it they could only loosen 5 out of the 6 nuts (one became free) and despite everything we could not change the tyre . Somehow we plugged the leak with 3 puncture repair plugs and some silicon and could slowly get back to our place of stay. Next day the BRO/GREF guys took just 2 minutes to hammer a 19 size spanner (Endy nuts are size 20)and helped us change the spare.
Back in Delhi I took the car to the service center and gave them a piece of my mind. There, one guy told me, that they have faced this issue of the nuts 'swelling up' due to repeated tyre rotation and balancing (my Endy had done 50k by then). I blasted them that if they had known about this then they should have recalled the car or advised to get them changed at any of the regular services. They changed all the nuts on all the four wheels, without charge, then and even negotiated 50% off on the tyre that i replaced (as side wall cut was not covered by the warranty).
My vehicle is May 2016 model.

I too implore all Endy friends, especially the ones having done above 25k, to check the nuts with the spanner in their cars. I was with my family, in a place with no cellular signal and late evening and cold wind. I cannot imagine the ordeal if i would have had to leave my beast there, in the wilderness .
Hellzboy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 19:28   #3333
BHPian

I am about to give my car for service as the current odometer readings are close to 19k. I will highlight this point and make sure the technician should check if the spanner is working on wheel nuts. One more question is this a problem with a specific tyre(front/rear/left/right) or all wheel nuts will be having this issue. This time I don't want to be there in service center and will be opting for pick and drop service from home.

As per the Ford Owner mobile application below task will be carried out in 20k service:
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Sump Plug Gasket
  • Brake Fluid
Total cost including Labor will be approx 7k.

I am planning to include few additional tasks based on the feedback from fellow members:
  • Air Filter change
  • All wheel alignment/balancing/rotation
  • AC Cabin filter replacement
Any other things which I can include in 20k service? Kindly advise.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 20:00   #3334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I am about to give my car for service as the current odometer readings are close to 19k. I will highlight this point and make sure the technician should check if the spanner is working on wheel nuts. One more question is this a problem with a specific tyre(front/rear/left/right) or all wheel nuts will be having this issue. This time I don't want to be there in service center and will be opting for pick and drop service from home.

As per the Ford Owner mobile application below task will be carried out in 20k service:
  • Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Sump Plug Gasket
  • Brake Fluid

I am planning to include few additional tasks based on the feedback from fellow members:
  • Air Filter change
In my case, when we checked at the service center, the spanner was not fitting in to any of the nuts, all tyres included.

With regards to alignment/balancing, if the vehicle's running fine and you have not noticed any issues, why go for it? I have had bad experience of the service center guys coaxing me in to getting the alignment/balancing done and ending up worse off. I had the alignment/balancing done only at the time of tyre change, at about 52k, and even then ended up with a slight vibration at speeds near 120kmph. I had to get it corrected at my next visit. Prior to that I had had no issues.

What do our esteemed BHPians suggest?
Hellzboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 20:23   #3335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

• Engine Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Sump Plug Gasket
  • Brake Fluid

• Air Filter change

1. Make sure your PCM/TCM is updated to latest update ending in ...ANN.
2. Buy a set of (I think 10/ 1 packet) wheel nuts costing around 2k and keep in car as spare.
3. Top up windshield washer liquid.
4. Fuel filter change if required.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 22:33   #3336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
There, one guy told me, that they have faced this issue of the nuts 'swelling up' due to repeated tyre rotation and balancing (my Endy had done 50k by then).
As a Mechanical Engineer with a masters in Materials Science it is very difficult for me to believe that steel nuts can 'swell up'. I have never come across such a phenomenon in my many decades as a hands-on engineer. There has to be some other explanation such as incorrect size of nuts being fitted inadvertently.

I experienced one puncture in my 5-month old Endy and I removed the wheel and fitted the stepney myself without any problem using the tools in the car's tool kit. I must remember to check that all nuts in all 4 wheels are of the same size.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 22:49   #3337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
As a Mechanical Engineer with a masters in Materials Science it is very difficult for me to believe that steel nuts can 'swell up'. I have never come across such a phenomenon in my many decades as a hands-on engineer. There has to be some other explanation such as incorrect size of nuts being fitted inadvertently.

I experienced one puncture in my 5-month old Endy and I removed the wheel and fitted the stepney myself without any problem using the tools in the car's tool kit. I must remember to check that all nuts in all 4 wheels are of the same size.
I know a couple of friends who have had this problem of incorrect size of nuts. Some of the nuts even cracked while opening.
It's the quality.

Some Endeavour owners have got their nuts changed under warranty due to broken nuts, while their tyres were taken off during tyre rotation.

After two of my friends in a common group complained of and faced this problem, I have kept a spare packet of nuts in my car permanently.

By the way the nut size is 19mm and I have invested in a Torque spanner as well bought from Amazon.
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screenshot_20180907224500_amazon-shopping.jpg

Another important thing is, the nuts are supposed to be tightened to 135nm of torque as per Ford (Picture from manual attached)
This may not matter to most as some tyrewallas use pneumatic spanners but it's just that if you try to achieve perfection, you can at least get 95%.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20180427wa0004.jpg

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 7th September 2018 at 22:51.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 23:19   #3338
BHPian

Since the launch of the new Endeavor, I have been hearing about battery draining issues in our forum. I think fundamentally three is something wrong with the drain protection electronics in Endy. It behaves differently for most people here. Mine is 2016 April model, I always leave my dashcam connected and it automatically gets cut off after sometime. There are many people here who complained that it drains the battery.
May be Ford should look at this battery draining issue very seriously and fix it, as we use the car to travel to remote areas, not always a jumpstart option will be available.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th September 2018 at 23:53. Reason: Typos fixed.
sknair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 23:33   #3339
BHPian

Quote:

Well, since the service engineer distinctly said that the nuts swell up and that Ford knows about it, i did some research online and i guess he was right. It seems that 'The two-part lug nuts have a steel core with a chrome, aluminum or stainless steel cap'. Here is a link to a class action suit against Ford in the US of A.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...gn-of-lug-nuts

I guess we could also approach Ford India at least.
Hellzboy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 07:35   #3340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, since the service engineer distinctly said that the nuts swell up and that Ford knows about it, i did some research online and i guess he was right. It seems that 'The two-part lug nuts have a steel core with a chrome, aluminum or stainless steel cap'. Here is a link to a class action suit against Ford in the US of A.

I guess we could also approach Ford India at least.
Correct, there were some discussions about this here previously as well if I am not mistaken. It will be a good idea to keep a check on existing ones and ask for a change from the service centre in case of any issue but the new ones can/ will also go wrong

I won't buy anything locally for this application, has anyone tried something from a different manufacturer say what does Toyota use in Fortuner?

Quote:
it is very difficult for me to believe that steel nuts can 'swell up'. I have never come across such a phenomenon in my many decades as a hands-on engineer.
Something to do with how they are made, these are in two pieces and must be a different material. There are tons of complaints and with other manufacturers as well but we have not seen this happening to others in India or are not aware.

The problem is alleged to be that, rather than being fabricated completely out of steel, the lug nuts were instead made with a steel core and a chrome, aluminum, or stainless steel cap to match the vehicle’s wheels, according to the complaint. It claims that the lug nuts can swell and delaminate after changes in temperature and exposure to moisture. Vehicle owners then have to try (and apparently fail) to remove the swollen lug nuts with a lug wrench supplied with the Ford vehicles. Then they have to replace them.
UnQuote

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/sw...lawsuit-claims

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th September 2018 at 07:45.
Turbanator is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 17:50   #3341
BHPian

Quote:
It seems that 'The two-part lug nuts have a steel core with a chrome, aluminum or stainless steel cap'. Here is a link to a class action suit against Ford in the US of A.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...gn-of-lug-nuts
That explains it. Thanks a ton. I assumed that the lug nuts are usual steel ones. It turns out that they are made of composite material and therefore swelling is certainly possible.

Could anybody clarify whether Ford continues to use these composite lug nuts in the Endeavour in India?
debuda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 17:54   #3342
BHPian

This is going to be a longish post with many quotes since I haven't found time to ask/reply/discuss in the past week, and a bunch of interesting things have cropped up.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Congrars. Hope you get your hands on the Endeavour soon. Also, would love to hear about how your narrowed down to the Endeavour, and also your ownership experience in the future.
First things first! Been meaning to reply specifically to this post for a long time, but I simply didn't find the time - first I thought I'd wait for my booking, and then I found almost no time post-booking.
I booked on 2nd. I'm getting it tomorrow - fresh off the trolley inbound from Chennai. The trolley moved on 4th from Chennai and got here today (showroom closed Saturdays). As per my instructions it was to be unloaded in front of me, and it worked out such that I can have it unloaded, do the PDI and have it delivered in one shot.

Build Date - 02.08.2018

And yes, while I cannot hope to add value the way certain members here do, in due course, there'll be a looooooooooooooooooooooong initial ownership report - there will be lots of detail if nothing else. Will include just about every last detail regarding inception of the idea, budgeting, decision making, test drives, dealing with dealers (), booking, buying etc etc. I will take my time with it though. I have noted my impressions of the other cars I test drove in order to provide an accurate report unaffected by a memory clouded over with the haze of time, when I finally do get to starting a thread.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______

In the meantime:

This can serve as a reasonable reference point for the debates/queries regarding feature removal/presence. It is sourced from Ford ETIS using my VIN number (which I've blanked out from the above for obvious reasons). I couldn't get ETIS to open up on my phone where I could've simply taken a scrolling screenshot, so I had to manually splice screenshots together on MSPaint on my laptop - sorry about the rough edges.

And then, because I'm stupid and have too much time on my hands, I compiled the minor features section from the above as a numbered list (PDF attached herewith) with place for check marks across from included features which I somewhat understood, queries against those I didn't and NA/reactions to excluded features.

And in case any fanboys (who may or may not exist) decide to take offence to my Donald Trump inspired reaction noted across from certain omitted features, feel free to not tell me about it. I took the liberty of adding a tongue-in-cheek extra to the Ford ETIS feature list.

Feel free to use it for reference and/or augmenting PDIs.

I will post more details/specifics post delivery.

Before that, I would be glad of any and all pointers that you can throw my way before tomorrow morning. There'll be four of us going to the dealership (called in a couple of friends to have extra eyes). Will use the above PDF of features included and the Team BHP PDI (excel version). Will proceed with formalities post thorough PDI. Will keep an eagle eye on the paperwork, though by now rapport with the dealership is highly satisfactory (and they are acutely aware of my extreme fastidiousness/finickiness), so I anticipate a breezy, transparent and satisfying experience.

Excitement is being well contained and decision fatigue etc have been taken out of the equation - hopefully caution, vigilance and rationality will prevail over impatience and blind, impulsive, sheer enthusiasm through tomorrow as well - even though I do say so myself, I think I've managed about alright so far - and it wasn't exactly straightforward or short or this smooth from the beginning (again, wait for the ownership thread).

Still, to reiterate, glad of any and all inputs from all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I suggest you pop the bonnet open and check all the hoses leading to the turbo. I think it is a loose hose or intake pipe. Otherwise get it checked ASAP.
Quote:
Hey vishy,
Many thanks dear you were absolutely right. I got hold of that pipe please see below picture.
Thanks for bringing up and solving this issue here guys. Since I'm posting anyway, I can get away with thanking over and above the thanks button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Wanted to share a feature which I observed over a period of last 2 months after I updated my Sync 3 to version 3.0 from 2.3. (Aug 2017 3.2 Endeavour)
Thanks to you too sir for bringing this up. I tried checking out the manual (my go to for the past 3 months), but no information there. One lead I can provide is that the list says "Less Battery Monitoring System". That might be why this problem is there and we can't have a convenient cut-off despite "battery saver mode" being displayed on the instrument cluster (as reported by some).

That said, I'll make it a point to check it out and ask the dealership as well about this at the time of delivery. Hopefully there'll be some additional light on this issue that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Coming to think of it, has anyone changed their new Endeavour's battery yet? If so could you tell us what make and Ah rating battery you replaced it with? Stock is 90 Ah, as mentioned by N.Devdath earlier in this thread. Apart from this information I have had no luck in finding the actual details of the Endeavour's battery. Size, DIN stuff like that. Not available on the Internet nor in the owner's manual. Guess Ford wants you to replace it with another Ford (branded) battery only.

May be it is just instinct. But looking at the puny battery (Ah rating notwithstanding) as compared to the rest of the car, I have always had a sliver of concern at the back of my mind. I have always had the feeling that it was not up to the mark. I have had to jump start it once but that was because of a mistake.
Couldn't have put it better myself! These are the exact things I too have in mind wrt certain aspects.
1. Even the list above doesn't mention any rating for the battery.
2. We have only one spec to go by.
3. Like tyres and engine oil, the battery appears to be one which is more to do with OEM margins/ease of supply chain, and not commensurate with the quality of the vehicle. I won't go into details about my concerns just here though. That said, this happens with vehicles across segments and markets - swings and roundabouts I s'pose.

Quote:
Hi Kaypa. I had a similar experience on a similar route but on the other side.
I too implore all Endy friends, especially the ones having done above 25k, to check the nuts with the spanner in their cars. I was with my family, in a place with no cellular signal and late evening and cold wind. I cannot imagine the ordeal if i would have had to leave my beast there, in the wilderness .
Thanks to you guys for bringing this up as well - perhaps it's the most crucial of all pieces of information one needs - not just at the time of PDI, but before every journey off the beaten track, every Endeavour owner (and by the looks of Turbanator's post, a lot of Ford owners worldwide), needs to add the frankly odd "check if wrench still fits lug nuts" point to their checklist.

I don't expect to be able to get any sleep tonight. Do pour in all your suggestions.

So far, other than the excel PDI list, my own list of features from ETIS + lug nuts + headlamp battery drain thingy and other standard delivery practices, I have nothing in mind. I would be more than happy to add to my pre-driving-out-from-the-dealership agenda tomorrow.

Cheers!

P.S. - My apologies for any inadvertent errors that crept in - my proofreading wasn't as thorough as I'd like in this instance. Pardon the discourtesy from a mildly delirious with excitement specimen.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-endeavour-vin-decoded-hidden.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ford Endeavour, August 2018, List of Minor Features (from Ford ETIS).pdf (140.8 KB, 314 views)
Mu009 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 18:14   #3343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
This is going to be a longish post with many quotes since I haven't found time to ask/reply/discuss in the past week, and a bunch of interesting things have cropped up.
I could not help but smile at your excitement. I relived my moment more than 2 years ago. It seems like Christmas eve for you, the only difference being you know what Santa is getting for you.
My two bits. Take your time with the PDI. Ask your family/friends to join you late if possible so that you are not distracted or hurried in to taking the delivery. Be thorough and especially check the paint job and bumper and headlight alignment. Also all the chrome inside for any scratches. In my case, the driver side AC vent on the dash was broken and i pointed it out to them and they noted it and assured a replacement asap. Do not let them push you. The beast deserves a good long look over.

Most of all, enjoy the experience and have fun. Don't forget to take lots of pics. All the best bud.

Last edited by aah78 : 8th September 2018 at 20:17. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of posts. Thank you!
Hellzboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 20:11   #3344
Senior - BHPian

Dear MU009,

The Endeavour is a wonderful choice and I'm sure you will like each and every thing apart from the average.

I know that you and your family will be excited to take delivery.
Please make sure you arrive before time and check each and every thing. Preferably an experienced friend or family member should be there. They will be able to point out some faults if any while you may not be able to because of excitement.
Follow the checklist available on this forum.
Do not compromise on anything in the excitement.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 21:32   #3345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I booked on 2nd. I'm getting it tomorrow - fresh off the trolley inbound from Chennai.
Congratulations finally...!!!

First things first about the PDI: -

1. Get some sleep.

2. 4 people are more than sufficient for a PDI but make sure each of them is assigned a different area so that they dont get bored and the inspection is done efficiently.

3. Paperwork is pretty simple these days and shouldn't take you more than an hour at most.

4. It's been raining in Jabalpur for the past few weeks so make sure you see a clean vehicle, especially the underbody to ensure you get a good look at all the components.

5. See if you can upgrade the tires to a better brand straight out of the showroom. My Endeavour wears Yokohama Geolandars which are one size upsize and I am happy with them thus far.

Ford dealers are generally an amicable lot and all will go well.

BTW, I finished a longish drive in the Endeavour from Roorkee to Bangalore last week and it was fun. The route taken was as shown in the screenshot below and after enduring some truly hellish roads between Datia and Maihar & Maihar and Singrauli, the truck didn't have a squeak to it.

The overall FE was exactly 10.2kmpl (on the MID) for the entire trip (till I hit Bangalore city) and I used System-D at every alternate tankful of diesel.

Name:  Screen Shot 20180908 at 9.30.40 PM.png
Views: 3121
Size:  198.3 KB

Coming to the battery discussions, the OE battery is NOT an Exide but an Amaron 90AH made specifically for Ford by Amaron.

The wheel nuts, that's another issue which is a result of cosmetic overtures by Ford. The chrome cover on the nuts is what slips and results in the entire nut slipping and rounding off. In fact, the Endeavour had his first puncture at Maihar but I got it repaired without removing the wheel.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2018 at 09:56. Reason: Please refer to cars by their model name only, and NOT personal names (i.e. Nandi) which most people won't understand. Thanks
n.devdath is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed