Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 23:43   #3601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Guys, Anyone knows about the current offers/Discounts on the Endeavour in Mumbai? Specifically the 3.2 Top End Version, I am in two minds to either pick one with discounts or to wait for the facelift.
Old 10th December 2018, 11:47   #3602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIndian View Post
- Does the Headrest on the front row come out from the seat when pulled out completely? or is there some locking mechanism? Because in 2 different TD cars, I asked the sales guy to remove it and both times both sales guys struggled and couldn't remove it.

- Wanted to check by reclining the 1st row passenger seat backward completely down after removing headrest to check if it comes at similar level to seat-base of the 2nd row seat

- Is auto dimming rear view mirror still being offered?
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I was planning to get a used under warranty Endeavor but these incidents scared the crap out of me, specially the one in Gujrat posted on this thread.
90% of car fires happen due to wrongly installed aftermarket accessories or flammable materials being transported improperly in the car, as was the Gujarat case.
Dont worry about fire & safety in the Endy, it is an international vehicle and is very safe with the right materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Guys, Anyone knows about the current offers/Discounts on the Endeavour in Mumbai? Specifically the 3.2 Top End Version, I am in two minds to either pick one with discounts or to wait for the facelift.
I hear they are around 80k but if/when you decide to buy one, it is best to walk into a showroom and negotiate hard, else, holler and someone here will help you get the best price.

Personally, I dont like the looks of the facelift, the chin has gotten overly thinner, the alloys have lost their muscle and the grill too is way slimmer. As far as features go, I prefer a key start over a button and keyless entry and go is something which I can live without.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 12:09   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
90% of car fires happen due to wrongly installed aftermarket accessories or flammable materials being transported improperly in the car, as was the Gujarat case.
Dont worry about fire & safety in the Endy, it is an international vehicle and is very safe with the right materials.
I am no expert but when you get a chance, specially if you have 15+ minutes to spare. Please go through this video and let me know your thoughts. This guy claims to be an expert in cars. I also saw his other videos to confirm what he is saying has substance and this is not just one off videos which doesnt make sense. Also any idea on the cause of Endy fire happened in Karnataka and Yamuna expressway

Last edited by sreejinair : 10th December 2018 at 12:29.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:11   #3604
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I was planning to get a used under warranty Endeavor but these incidents scared the crap out of me, specially the one in Gujrat posted on this thread.

When you are free google this "_________ on fire" . You can fill in the blanks with any make/model of your choice .

Quote:
90% of car fires happen due to wrongly installed aftermarket accessories or flammable mat

Agreed. That too and also potential other freak incidents. However, the Everest has become one of the most popular models in Australia. I don't see the Australians driving it in fire retardant racing suits.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:16   #3605
BHPian

Quote:
I am no expert but when you get a chance, specially if you have 15+ minutes to spare. Please go through this video and let me know your thoughts. This guy claims to be an expert in cars. I also saw his other videos to confirm what he is saying has substance and this is not just one off videos which doesnt make sense.
This guy is a hack (probably a failed comedian too) - and has little to no idea of what he's talking about. It is well known that he was on Hyundai/Kia's payroll. Also, I don't know which videos you watched, but most of what I've watched confirm the opposite. He's a salesman, and a bad one at that. He thrives on the fact that other auto journos there (in Oz) are like those everywhere in the world (mouthpieces and toerags for manufacturers), and attempts to sell his propaganda under the guise of hyperbolic, ostensibly truthful statements, made under a veneer of contrived and woefully unfunny metaphor/simile.

Have been looking for a window to be able to properly reply to posts over the previous few pages, and post updates and queries, but haven't found the time. But a video of this guy being posted here compelled me to make this quick post. I am all for freedom of speech and have no illusions/notions of grandeur about standards and quality of information shared here (just because there's great stuff, doesn't mean it's all gospel is my point), but equally, I cannot and will not refrain from pointing it out for the BS it is, if and when shared here (or anywhere else, for that matter).

As regards the potential/alleged/suspected fire hazard (can't help myself), the vehicle is quite safe as others here attest, but there is a certain amount of concern over the low placement of the DPF in this vehicle - a part that generates a tremendous amount of heat at the time it has the process of "regeneration" underway. Some sources have claimed it may be a fire hazard in case there's a lot of dry grass stuck to the underbody, say (taking a practical example). This was something I considered before buying the vehicle myself, since my running is very commonly on tracks where such a thing can happen easily, but after going through the manual, dismissed it from my mind - from what I understood at the time, the positioning while not ideal, was certainly not unsafe. Refer to page 106.

Also, it is reliably reported that said DPF has been repositioned on the Ranger Raptor.

However, I have been unable to ascertain whether that same change has been carried over into the facelifted regular Ranger, and Everest model.

My two cents:
Be aware when running on forest/dirt trails when the tyre tracks are straddling a grassy trail, and periodically check for stuff getting stuck in such scenarios.

Quote:
For what it's worth, I'd say go for it, without much (if any) trepidation. For my money, it'll be the vehicle that you are most likely to be safe in and happy with. I say it as sincerely as possible for a worthless, (almost) unaccountable, disembodied voice on the internet.

Quote:
I am in two minds to either pick one with discounts or to wait for the facelift.
Also, about the facelift thing - I don't care for keyless and entry and go. While convenient, it scares me (call me a luddite if you will). And while looks are subjective, I think the revised front looks pansy, and the alloys nowhere near as classy - I wouldn't wait for it, especially to pay more.

But try and find out if we're really getting anything new, such as say, a 360 degree camera (which I'd kill for). But I doubt there'll be anything new because of the way the trim levels have been restructured internationally after the launch of the unappetising 2.0L bi-turbo. Also, if keyless entry matters that much to you, and/or you prefer the newer looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
When you are free google this "_________ on fire" . You can fill in the blanks with any make/model of your choice
Precisely. In fact, if you look hard enough, you can find good and bad examples of anything - it's just a matter of how much cognitive dissonance you're willing to take on in order for your heart to rule your head. There are bad experiences and unreliability stories for even Toyota, and great reliability for famously unreliable brands (except Land Rover, there's no such thing as a reliable Land Rover - I wouldn't believe it even if I myself owned one that never broke down).

Bad jokes about a brand I can't help but like aside, if you start looking for a vehicle/manufacturer with a perfect ethics/practices/reliability record, you're not going to find one - they've all behaved like typical corporations do at one point or another.

Simply, for India, I take the consensus regarding a manufacturer on Team BHP, and a model's track record from its thread here. There are one-off aberrations here and there, but so far, I feel very secure in taking automotive decisions backed by the consensus of people's experience here.

Quote:
Agreed. That too and also potential other freak incidents. However, the Everest has become one of the most popular models in Australia. I don't see the Australians driving it in fire retardant racing suits.

Quote:
Amen to that.

Quote:
I find his videos rude
Oh come now, don't take a swipe at rudeness - it's one of the nicest things in the world. It's just that he's rude AND unfunny AND incorrect that's the problem for me.

Quote:
When is/is your review coming or shall we wait for the truck to cross 50k km so that you start from the Long Term review section??
You'd scarcely credit it, but you have no idea how bad I am about this stuff! Would you believe me if I told you I've been putting off replying to you specifically about why I haven't posted an ownership report yet, because I wanted to do it properly? To put that in my tedious way, I'm basically telling you about how I haven't yet replied to you about something (which would in essence be "I want to do it properly"), and I'm still not replying to you about it, while doing so, because, you guessed it, I want to do it properly.
*shoots self in the face*

But seriously, 10k is almost up. The review coming at 20k would not be delayed, to my mind.

Last edited by Mu009 : 10th December 2018 at 13:45. Reason: Additions and corrections.
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:17   #3606
BANNED

Quote:
This guy claims to be an expert in cars.
I find his videos rude, sarcastic and a typical way of getting views by berating one and all when he feels he has a reason and hence do not believe in what he says, across brands and situations.

A lot of vloggers take pleasure in proving themselves holier than every OEM on the planet, no wonder they continue to be vloggers depending on internet revenues. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Have been looking for a window to be able to properly reply to posts over the previous few pages, and post updates and queries, but haven't found the time.
When is/is your review coming or shall we wait for the truck to cross 50k km so that you start from the Long Term review section??

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th December 2018 at 13:20.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 14:14   #3607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellzboy View Post
Also, the brake pads were worn out especially the rear ones, and i pointed out that i had got them (rear ones) changed just 9500 kms prior, they agreed to replace them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Did they replace without charge? Have you tried to find the reasons of change so early? How are your rotors, by any chance will you have any pictures?
Quote:
Yes, they replaced them free of charge but the approval was still pending so i am not sure what the final call will be.

I think the trip to Spiti valley must have contributed though I suspect the quality of the brake pads too.
Quote:
I also had a shudder but after changing the brake pads it was fine and they also bled the brake fluid lines. I guess both must have contributed to the shudder. The rotors were definitely good.
Had taken the Endy for 30k service last to last weekend to JSP ford, while doing the regular service, the engineer noticed that one of the pads had cracks running horizontal. On detailed inspection the rear pads were found to be really worn out and one side had started disintegrating badly. Even the front pads (though only 20% worn) had cracks running across at various depth. They raised a warranty claim over help line and was subsequently approved. All 4 sets of brake pads (along with mounting bolts and clips, these come in the kit) thus replaced free of cost (about 11-12k).

While am very happy with the prompt action taken, I would want to alert all the owners to get the pads inspected at every service. After reading the quoted posts, the original pads (for the initial batch of vehicles atleast) seems to have this issue showing up. Ours is an early 2017 model vehicle.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th December 2018 at 14:20.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 14:37   #3608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
When you are free google this "_________ on fire" . You can fill in the blanks with any make/model of your choice .
I used youtube when searching the Endy, did the same using "Toyota Fortuner" and found only one case but with no details. Just so you know the reason to do the following is not to prove a point its because I'm in the market to buy one of these.

I tried your suggestion and googled Toyota Fortuner on fire, and since its also sold in other countries with different names I also searched for Toyota SW4 on fire and Toyota Hilux SW4 on fire. I found only two cases which includes the unexplained one already mentioned above and another one on 4x4community.co.za. Please note I looked at the first 3 pages in google search for all 3 names (Toyota Fortuner, Toyota SW4 and Toyota Hilux SW4) So a total of 9 google search pages. Didnt bother to search more than that as I couldnt find any relevant results.

Then I did the same for Endy, googled Ford Endeavour on fire and Ford Everest on fire and oh my God there were so many, in fact too many. Thank you, thank you and thank you again for making me do this. Since I'm in the market for a SUV now I know what to rule out. Personally I like the way the Endeavour looks and also its features compared to the Fortuner. But after doing this thanks to you its not my preference anymore. Now I got only 2 options left the Fortuner and the Kodiaq. I like the Kodiaq, but may end up buying the fortuner.

Just as a fun challenge, and since its going a bit off topic we should do this on PM. For every unique Toyota Fortuner on fire article you send, I'll share 3 times of the Ford Endeavour. It should be easy to do that since the Fortuner sells almost 4 times more than the Endeavour in India, not really sure if thats the case in other countries though.

On a totally different topic, what do you guys think of Scotty Kilmer? Another guy on Toyota payroll I guess

Last edited by sreejinair : 10th December 2018 at 14:45.
sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 18:04   #3609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Since I'm in the market for a SUV now I know what to rule out. Personally I like the way the Endeavour looks and also its features compared to the Fortuner. But after doing this thanks to you its not my preference anymore. Now I got only 2 options left the Fortuner and the Kodiaq. I like the Kodiaq, but may end up buying the fortuner.
If you are ruling out the Endeavour just because of the fire, I don't agree with your logic. I am sure, there will be a much higher probability of getting involved in a Road Accident in a Fortuner or an Endeavour or for that matter any other car over say a fire incident in Endeavour so that does not mean that we stop driving. No company can survive for such long with a bad product or continue with something as serious as repeated fire incidents due to unknown reasons.

Let me tell you as a previous owner of Endy and Fortuner, both have their own strengths and weakness and no matter what you choose, you won't go wrong with any of these.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 22:38   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Had taken the Endy for 30k service last to last weekend to JSP ford, while doing the regular service, the engineer noticed that one of the pads had cracks running horizontal. On detailed inspection the rear pads were found to be really worn out and one side had started disintegrating badly. Even the front pads (though only 20% worn) had cracks running across at various depth. They raised a warranty claim over help line and was subsequently approved. All 4 sets of brake pads (along with mounting bolts and clips, these come in the kit) thus replaced free of cost (about 11-12k).

While am very happy with the prompt action taken, I would want to alert all the owners to get the pads inspected at every service. After reading the quoted posts, the original pads (for the initial batch of vehicles atleast) seems to have this issue showing up. Ours is an early 2017 model vehicle.
Same thing happened to my endeavor when I went for my 2 year service, all pads replaced under warranty since they developed cracks. Infact there was some strange noise coming from wheels after the car runs for 200+KMS.
Old 10th December 2018, 22:59   #3611
BHPian

Quote:
This is what my friend managed to get from a dealer in Bangalore. I am attaching it. I was able to push it to 1.5 lakh last week. If you have good skills you could squeeze a bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20181210-10.55.44-pm.jpeg  

sridharp77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 09:29   #3612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharp77 View Post
This is what my friend managed to get from a dealer in Bangalore. I am attaching it. I was able to push it to 1.5 lakh last week. If you have good skills you could squeeze a bit more.
First Rule, whenever you are negotiating for any New Car, discuss Discounts on Ex-Showroom prices and not On-Road prices. I am more then sure, you can get a much lower insurance on your own then what the dealer has inbuilt in the On-Road prices. If you have a trade-in, discuss prices about that separately. You can always think about the accessories or mandatory/ recommended kits later.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 11:12   #3613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
First Rule, whenever you are negotiating for any New Car, discuss Discounts on Ex-Showroom prices and not On-Road prices. I am more then sure, you can get a much lower insurance on your own then what the dealer has inbuilt in the On-Road prices. If you have a trade-in, discuss prices about that separately. You can always think about the accessories or mandatory/ recommended kits later.
Thanks for the tip. I will keep this in mind.

One question that I have is if, on the ex-showroom price they give the discount, the road tax component will not change right. It would be still calculated on the price before the discount.
Old 11th December 2018, 11:16   #3614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One question that I have is if, on the ex-showroom price they give the discount, the road tax component will not change right. It would be still calculated on the price before the discount.
Will depend on the state, mostly you end up paying Road tax on the List Price. Over here, Chandigarh is sort of an exception, we pay Road Tax on the Net Invoice Price even excluding the GST
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 19:34   #3615
BANNED

Quote:
Turbonator is right, road tax is calculated on the list price and the same applies to Bangalore as well.
The best way of negotiating a deal is by asking for a detailed break-up of the ex-showroom, road tax, insurance and other accessories being offered so that you have a clear picture and can then compare it to other quotes.

Both Cauvery and JSP Ford are good dealers, which one are you in touch with?

There are multiple customers of each one of them in touch and they can help you with getting the best deal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks