Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:18   #3886
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A bad TD vehicle or significantly overinflated tires, no other reason. Owners & the media have established that the Endeavour rides way better than the Fortuner, on multiple platforms.

I concur. I test drove the Fortuner/MUX/Endeavour (2018 models) on the same day over the same terrible roads and found that Endeavour struck the best balance between handling/comfort. The MUX was softer, but wallowy at high speeds. The Fortuner was the exact opposite, with good high speed handling but got thrown about a lot on bad roads.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 14:58   #3887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I have acknowledged my disappointment too in being unable to buy such a good looking and feature laden SUV because of firstly its driving dynamics and secondly its dealership experience.
I have the bought the facelifted Endeavour about 50 days back after extensive research and TDs & covered almost 4000 kms in it with 90% of it on highways. I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with driving dynamics at any speeds and is comfortable and stable at any speeds (even at top speed)

In my experience, I barely noticed much difference in softness of suspension set up between pre facelift and post facelift vehicles. It certainly cannot be so much that the former is good and latter is bad.
International reviews say that ride quality is improved in the facelift without mention of negative impact in handling.

Lastly I would like to add that its not just the features and good looks but also the power delivery, refinement, quality of interiors, the quietness inside due to noise cancelling, the quality of music from ICE, ability to use Android Auto over ICE, full size sunroof, useable boot with all seats up etc. that make it a much better vehicle overall.

Regardless, Fortuner is a good vehicle and you cannot go wrong with it. Congratulations and wishing you happy miles.
Aniket6 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 13:48   #3888
BHPian

I am planning a long awaited trip to Leh/Ladakh at June end.
Any suggestion about what all modifications or accessories I should have in my Endeavour before going there?

My Trip will be like: Delhi > Kullu > Manali > Ladakh > Leh > Srinagar > Udhampur > Amritsar > Wagah Border > Delhi
Old 27th May 2019, 11:18   #3889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKG4 View Post
Any suggestion about what all modifications or accessories I should have in my Endeavour before going there?

My Trip will be like: Delhi > Kullu > Manali > Ladakh > Leh > Srinagar > Udhampur > Amritsar > Wagah Border > Delhi
I have been to Ladakh and Spiti a couple of times. Once with friends and once on my own.

The trip was done in a my 2009 Fortuner.

In my opinion you need zero mods done for undertaking the trip. A stock 4x4 vehicle is more than capable of undertaking this trip.

Just make sure your tyres are in good shape and also have your brakes checked beforehand. Ask the service guys to take a good look at your drive belts and fluid/Oil levels and if found to be adequate you should be good to go.

I'd suggest taking along a good quality tyre inflator and puncture repair kit and thats about all.

Delhi Manali can be done in a day. In Manali you will need to arrange your permit to cross over from Rohtang. Please make sure you have a valid PUC as this is checked as part of the papers needed for obtaining the permit.
So once you have this you can cross over Rohtang and head for Jispa the next day.

Jispa- Leh is a days drive.

You will need a rest day in Leh then and to arrange permits etc.
Leh to Hunder/Turtuk is half a days drive.
Hunder-Pangong-Leh via Agham route is a days affair
After this you can head towards the Leh- Kargil Highway to get to Srinagar and Amritsar.

With a 80 liter tank you should not need to carry any extra fuel cans.

Carry lots of lip balm, moisturizer and sunscreen. Drink lots of water. I carried 4 cartons just for myself. Trust me its the best thing to have in ready supply always.

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Hey guys - I've booked me a black Endeavour yesterday. It's May manufactured (stock tyres April made) and just landed in Delhi. I'm still in a daze and the feeling has not sunk in yet. Will take delivery over the weekend.
Lucky you!! Congratulations! I booked my Diffused Silver 3.2 on the 12th of April. Its almost June now and mine still hasn't left the Plant in Chennai as of today.
It is incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Ford has been manufacturing only White and Black Endeavours this past month due to customer demand. Diffused Silver Endeavors are taking time due to this. The delay has meant a 72k increase in the ex-showroom price also which further adds to my misery.

Was promised delivery in Mid May but no sign yet..

Last edited by ajmat : 27th May 2019 at 11:39.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 11:32   #3890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Ford has been manufacturing only White and Black Endeavours this past month due to customer demand.
Thanks Manuuj. Congrats to you as well for booking yours.

True about the colors. I visited Delhi Ford yard and saw only two blacks and three whites waiting to be taken away. Sucks about the price hike, I had to pay it too. And did not get any discounts.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 19:45   #3891
BHPian

Guys - need quick help with something. I've had the endeavour for about an hour and am unable to access the 'settings' menu item that allows you to program myKey. I think the key needs to be put in a particular location to do the programming. Can someone please tell me where that location is?
Old 27th May 2019, 20:14   #3892
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys - need quick help with something. I've had the endeavour for about an hour and am unable to access the 'settings' menu item that allows you to program myKey. I think the key needs to be put in a particular location to do the programming. Can someone please tell me where that location is?
Look under the centre armrest. There should be a key symbol down there. Place it there and then try. Here's the link to a digital owners manual for your help:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/97...5.html?page=35

Last edited by vishy76 : 27th May 2019 at 20:17.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 13:10   #3893
BHPian

Sorry guys I keep hogging this thread. I've given the car to a detailer to put ceramic coating and the car will be with them for about 2.5 days. So, while that's on going, I'm planning a few things as follows:

1. A rear bull bar. I know its not legal. But, I think its the best solution to keep 2 wheelers from coming and kissing my back in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi. Anyone here installed these? Does it look ok? Any pictures for reference?

2. Once the ceramic coat is done, I'm also planning on putting 3M ppf on very limited areas like door edges etc.

3. Finally, I think I'll put some chrome garnish on the side window edges, since I think it looks great on a black. (I am not a blingy guy at all, but I think it looks classy).

4. Still on the lookout for a decent sun screen solution. I absolutely love the retractable ones in BMWs or even the Hexa. Its a shame that the Endeavour does not come with one. All other solutions, other than film look crude and kludgy to me.

5. I'm going to write to Ford for some clarification about an oddity that I noticed in the 2019 version of the Endeavour AT. There are these P-R-N-D letters next to the gear shift lever. I certainly remember seeing it glow amber on other vehicles. In mine, its not glowing. I don't know if its a deleted feature or a bug that needs fixing. Will let everyone know about this one.
rovingeye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 14:09   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys I keep hogging this thread. I've given the car to a detailer to put ceramic coating and the car will be with them for about 2.5 days. So, while that's on going, I'm planning a few things as follows:

1. A rear bull bar. I know its not legal. But, I think its the best solution to keep 2 wheelers from coming and kissing my back in bumper to bumper traffic in Delhi. Anyone here installed these? Does it look ok? Any pictures for reference?

4. Still on the lookout for a decent sun screen solution. I absolutely love the retractable ones in BMWs or even the Hexa. Its a shame that the Endeavour does not come with one. All other solutions, other than film look crude and kludgy to me.

5. I'm going to write to Ford for some clarification about an oddity that I noticed in the 2019 version of the Endeavour AT. There are these P-R-N-D letters next to the gear shift lever. I certainly remember seeing it glow amber on other vehicles. In mine, its not glowing. I don't know if its a deleted feature or a bug that needs fixing. Will let everyone know about this one.
As per me, real bull bar doesnt look good. The build quality is quite good and you dont need one. I had several incidents when got hit from behind, but not even a scratch in rear bumper.

Even I miss this sunblind option. For now, I have installed magnetic net-shades purchased from Amazon. They work average and cops can still see inside of the car, so no trouble from them.

Yes, you are right, P-R-N-D glow when amber.
GKG4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2019, 22:05   #3895
BHPian

ODO : 14,000 km; Drive from Kolkata to Kausani, Munsyari, Pilibhit and back

During May 2019 I drove to Uttarakhand in my Ford Endeavour 2.2 Titanium accompanied by my friends Cmde Harsh Bhargava and Mr. Sajjan Tailor for a 9-day self-drive expedition. Our route was Kolkata - Varanasi - Bareilly - Kausani - Munsyari - Champawat - Pilibhit - Lucknow - Varanasi - Kolkata.

The views of the Himalayas from Munsyari are quite awesome. While returning we visited Pilibhit Tiger Reserve and did a Jungle Safari during which we had two tiger sightings. The total driving distance was 3,271 km.

Day-1 (12.05.19) : Kolkata to Varanasi : Drove 681 km; actual driving time 13 hrs 20 mins. Golden Quadrilateral to Varanasi very good except a few short stretches where bridges / flyovers are under construction. Found several toll gates quite crowded with big queues of trucks and cars.

Day-2 (13.05.19) : Varanasi to Bareilly : Drove 534 km; actual driving time 12 hrs 15 mins. Travelled via Jaunpur, Lucknow and Hardoi. Some long stretches between Varanasi and Lucknow were crowded and not-so-good. Rest of the roads very good.

Day-3 (14.05.19) : Bareilly to Kausani : Drove 251 km; actual driving time 8 hours. Drove via Bhowali and Ranikhet. Good roads.

As one leaves the plains and starts ascending the hills, beautiful vistas appear
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2504-medium.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2568-medium.jpg

Day-4 (15.05.19) : At Kausani.

Endy at Kausani
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2437-medium.jpg

Day-5 (16.05.19) : Kausani to Munsyari : Drove 257 km; actual driving time 9 hours. Drove via Baijnath, Chaukori and Thal. Roads upto Thal quite good. Between Thal and Munsyari there are some narrow and broken stretches and the problem is compounded by a trench dug on the side of the road, apparently for laying cables, which reduces the usable width of the road by taking away the shoulder on one side. About 40 km before Munsyari we encountered heavy rains and hailstorm. The hailstones were making such a loud racket on the car that we were worried about our windshield and moonroof breaking. But no shelter was available and I kept driving slowly. Luckily, the hailstones were not hard and no damage was caused.

View of the Himalayas from Munsyari
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2542-2-medium.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2556-medium.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20190517_203247.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20190516wa0011.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20190516wa0023.jpg

Day-6 (17.05.19) : Munsyari to Champawat : Drove 211 km; actual driving time 9 hrs 15 mins. Hill roads throughout.

Day-7 (18.05.19) : Champawat to Chuka Beach (Pilibhit) : Drove 130 km; actual driving time 4 hrs 40 mins. Between Pithoragarh and Tanakpur massive road widening project is going on and progress on this stretch was slow due to rough road surface. It is at Tanakpur that the hill roads end and plains start.

After several days of hill driving, it was wonderful to find such tree-lined straight roads after Tanakpur
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2573-medium.jpg

Jungle safari at Pilibhit Tiger Reserve
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-dsc_2638-medium.jpg

Day-8 (19.05.19) : Chuka Beach to Varanasi : Drove 588 km; actual driving time 12 hrs. Travelled via Lucknow and Jaunpur. Good roads.

Day-9 (20.05.19) : Varanasi to Kolkata. Drove 682 km; actual driving time 13 hrs 30 mins.

The total distance covered during the trip was 3271 km with a total driving time of 64 hours.

Performance of my Endeavour : Endy performed superbly throughout. Even on steep hill roads there always was more than enough power on tap and the automatic transmission made driving effortless. Suspension absorbed bad stretches with aplomb. Steering is excellent. Body roll is minimal. Ride quality is awesome. Brakes are far far superior and effective as compared to my previous car (XUV-500). There is not a single squeak or suspension noise.

Special mention must be made of the Endy’s aircon. We drove through places where the ambient temperature was 44 deg C but the AC continued to be super efficient.

Fuel economy over the entire trip of 3271 km was 12.05 kmpl, accurately computed by tankfull-to-tankfull method. The Endy’s trip meter computed the mileage to be 13.10 kmpl. As I have reported earlier, the car’s computer consistently gives an erroneous fuel consumption reading of about +10%.

Use of spare wheel : I could never comprehend why Ford decided to give a stepney with a different aspect ratio in the Endeavour. While the 4 wheels are 265/60 R18, the stepney is 265/65 R17. We are all aware of many cars (including some very expensive ones) either not having a spare wheel or having one of smaller size and can understand the main rationale behind a smaller stepney, which is ease of stowage. But in the Endeavour, the stepney is same in size (diameter and width) as the other wheels. The stowage space under the car accommodates both kind of wheels with equal ease. Also, both tyres cost almost the same (the R17 tyre is just about Rs 2,000 cheaper). As far as the steel wheel is concerned, I would think that the cost difference between a 17" and a 18" of the same width would be marginal.

Ideally, the stepney should have been identical to the other tyres so that 5-wheel rotation could be carried out and all 5 wheels subjected to same use over time. Even with a steel rim stepney, if the tyre had been same, one could use it by removing it from the steel rim and mounting it on an alloy rim.

I feel that keeping the spare tyre as a virgin throughout the life of the car is a sheer waste. After a few years the spare will become hard and will have to be replaced by another tyre destined to lifelong spinsterhood. So I decided to use the stepney after my 10,000 km service and fitted it in the rear. As recommended in the User Manual, I keep a pressure of 45 psi in that wheel and 35 psi in the other 3 wheels.

The drive to Uttarakhand was the first major long drive after I started the experiment of actually using the stepney. My experience was quite positive. Ford recommends not exceeding 80 kmph with the stepney but I stretched it to 110 kmph and did not feel any difference in ride quality or handling. Since I rarely exceed 100 kmph, I think I shall continue using the stepney till it wears out and then replace it with an alloy wheel of standard (265/60 R18) size.

The main disadvantage in using the stepney is that it does not have a tyre pressure sensor and so the TPMS warning light keeps coming. Also, in the event of an actual puncture in any of the tyres, there would be no warning. I took up the matter with Ford and requested them to fit a tyre pressure sensor (at my cost) in the stepney but they refused, stating that the stepney is meant only for temporary use.

The other disadvantage is the aesthetics – the black steel rim looks like an ugly duckling as compared to the alloys. Maybe I’ll get a nice wheel cap one of these days!

Roads near Munsyari
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20190517_203430.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20190517_210716.jpg

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img20190517wa0005.jpg
debuda is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 12:20   #3896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post

Ideally, the stepney should have been identical to the other tyres so that 5-wheel rotation could be carried out and all 5 wheels subjected to same use over time. Even with a steel rim stepney, if the tyre had been same, one could use it by removing it from the steel rim and mounting it on an alloy rim.
I was using all time 4WD Toyota 4Runner (in US) like Endeavour. When I had to replace one tire due to bad puncture, I was advised by Toyota service centre to replace all 4 tires. The rational was that mismatched threading due to tire wear would result more traction on the new wheel. This will make the electronics in 4WD system work harder and consistent load could lead to failure of this system.

While I used to do the 5 wheel rotation so far, I'm not sure if its such a good idea for 4WD Endeavour. What do you folks think about it? I'm aware this doesn't apply to 2.2 2WD Endeavour in the above post.

Thanks
nrahul is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 17:24   #3897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
When I had to replace one tire due to bad puncture, I was advised by Toyota service centre to replace all 4 tires. The rational was that mismatched threading due to tire wear would result more traction on the new wheel. This will make the electronics in 4WD system work harder and consistent load could lead to failure of this system.
This advice by your Toyota Service Center appears somewhat far-fetched. If the tread depths had been comparable (say, within a difference of 25%), there would be no need to change the other tyres. Even if there was significant difference in the tread depths, replacing the other tyre on the same axle should have sufficed rather than changing all 3 good tyres.
debuda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 15:45   #3898
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry guys ...

I can confirm that this feature has been deleted from the 2019 facelift version. I had come to the showroom to inquire about the status of my vehicle delivery and i asked the sales executive about this "oddity".

He seemed to be aware of this and confirmed that the 2019 facelift Endeavour does not come with backlit gear position indicator while the pre facelift one did.

We then proceeded to check this ourselves in the test drive vehicle. It does not even glow when headlights are on so its basically like a sticker now.

Kinda disappointing.. i wonder what Ford saved by deleting something like this which is an intuitive feature and also looked nice illuminated. Now we will glance at the instrument cluster for this info i guess.
Manuuj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 16:35   #3899
BHPian

Hello,

I noticed something strange in my 2017 Endeavour today - the rear ac vents kept coming on by themselves even when I kept switching them off from the touchscreen controls up front. This happened when the ambient temperature outside had reached 48◦ as per the dash. I haven't noticed this happening in all these years and I wanted to check if this is a product of a software update or just a bug that needs to be checked at the workshop. In a way, it does make sense that the HVAC is turning on all vents to cool the car better at the desired temp setting, but still..
SUVolens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2019, 20:33   #3900
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuda View Post
[
I feel that keeping the spare tyre as a virgin throughout the life of the car is a sheer waste. After a few years the spare will become hard and will have to be replaced by another tyre destined to lifelong spinsterhood. So I decided to use the stepney after my 10,000 km service and fitted it in the rear. As recommended in the User Manual, I keep a pressure of 45 psi in that wheel and 35 psi in the other 3 wheels.
Looks you are enjoying the beast. Perhaps you should pen down your longterm ownership review separately.

I agree to your views on the illogical decision on the usage of 17 inches for saving a few thousand rupees. Did you consider swapping this unused tyre with an 18 Inch at the local tyre shop? I am sure you can pay the difference and get the stock tyres as a lot of people swap OE tyres. In case you have already switched to different tyres, you can pay little extra and get this changed to the same brand. For some unexplained reasons, I won't feel comfortable driving with tyre of different size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
Hello,

the rear ac vents kept coming on by themselves even when I kept switching them off from the touchscreen controls up front. This happened when the ambient temperature outside had reached 48◦ as per the dash
If this indeed is true then perhaps a feature and a good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post

Kinda disappointing.. i wonder what Ford saved by deleting something like this which is an intuitive feature and also looked nice illuminated. .
Looks, FORD wants customers to keep looking in Dark, first, they had messed up big time with Key Slot that was not illuminated and it used to be a pain and now this. Can be a problem while parking at night.

Last edited by Turbanator : 1st June 2019 at 20:36.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed