Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 17:08   #3916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Why would you change gears in an automatic while it is moving?
Why would you change it from drive to neutral (which is what you wanted to in first place) while it is moving?
The only time it would be and should be required is when the vehicle is stationary and it is dark and you want to move the gear lever and know what is its actual position. That is what I infer.
Other than that I find no other reason for its use.
Those were exactly my thoughts. Why would one want to change gears in an automatic? I owned an automatic SUV for 4 years and never once looked down whether the vehicle was moving or stationary. Moreover, once the gear is slotted into 'D' or whatever automatic mode, I've never had to change it. Even on the rare occasions when I would slip it into 'N' mode at a traffic light, one's mind is usually trained to recognize the gear's transitions from 'N' to 'D' without so much as looking at the instrument console, leave alone the gear shaft.

And now too, neither my wife nor I look down to our used Automatic A Star's gear shaft when slotting it.

Quote:
At the same time I also feel that these kinds of small cost cuttings and that too in a low volume luxury vehicle should not be done.
I understand and respect the fact that people can be sensitive to deletion of features whether or not they are really needed especially in luxury vehicles.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:38   #3917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKG4 View Post
I do this all the time, usually on Expressway, when I see a toll ahead, may be around 1.5km, I simply put the Endeavour to Neutral and let it float till there.
What's the point of shifting into Neutral whilst driving, (or even standing at traffic lights)?

It doesn't serve any purpose other than the fact that you lose engine braking, & what happens if you need to accelerate to avoid danger (split second decisions)?
aah78 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 17:59   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
What's the point of shifting into Neutral whilst driving, (or even standing at traffic lights)?

It doesn't serve any purpose other than the fact that you lose engine braking, & what happens if you need to accelerate to avoid danger (split second decisions)?
Well, as I said its FUN for me, may be not for others, but for me.
So yes, it does serve the purpose, for me.

Also, why not to shift to Neutral when standing at traffic lights?
For me, thats when I relax my right leg, by putting gear into Neutral and applying Hand/Parking Brakes.
Old 4th June 2019, 18:02   #3919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, its a first for me to know that I am only person doing this. I do this all the time, usually on Expressway, when I see a toll ahead, may be around 1.5km, I simply put the Endeavour to Neutral and let it float till there.
Coasting in Neutral is a big no. As mentioned earlier here by our mod, should a sudden situation present itself (such as a lorry suddenly taking a wide U turn by cutting across 4 lanes of highway, you know, the usual stuff), you'll be caught unprepared.

And having driven Automatics for a while now, I can tell you intuitively that if such a situation were to present itself, if you're going to try to hurriedly find the 'D' gear, with adrenaline pumping and eyes on the imminent danger, you're likely to mistakenly slot it into 'P' or 'R'. That'd be a crying shame.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 18:26   #3920
BHPian

Quote:
Well, as I said its FUN for me, may be not for others, but for me.
So yes, it does serve the purpose, for me.

Also, why not to shift to Neutral when standing at traffic lights?
For me, thats when I relax my right leg, by putting gear into Neutral and applying Hand/Parking Brakes.
Sorry it is not a good practice to move gear lever to neutral and coast. This is applicable to all cars automatic and manual. I am sure no one will support this act. Even when going downhill you are suggested to keep gears engaged which will help in engine braking and relieving pressure from brakes. The breaks generally heat up if used aggressively and without engine breaking they will fade out much early.
roby_dk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 18:29   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
Well, its a first for me to know that I am only person doing this. I do this all the time, usually on Expressway, when I see a toll ahead, may be around 1.5km, I simply put the Endeavour to Neutral and let it float till there.

Its kind of fun for me to see how smooth Endeavour at this point, and how silent it.
It's essential to do that at traffic lights/anything over a 5 second stop in order to avoid brake pad wear in a big-engined auto.

But it is downright STUPID to coast in neutral.
1. Safety point has already been highlighted. Engine braking + loss of split second in emergency acceleration manoeuvres.
2. Modern cars are least consumptive of fuel in D with your foot off the accelerator pedal - idling in N (which you'd be doing when coasting) consumes more fuel.

Ordinarily, I'd say I don't care and do as you please - but you coasting in D might not result in just an accident for you - you are a danger to others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingeye View Post
Hey Mu009 - Sorry for the newbie question, new to both big-engined as well as auto. Is this because the vehicle will try to creep forward and the break will wear out trying to stop it?

And thank you, I never thought about this and was merrily keeping the break engaged and gear on D on long red lights.
Sir please don't apologise:
A. We're here for this exact purpose, aren't we?
B. I'm not much more than a noob myself (if at all more).

Simply, yes. Creep = tyre wants to move forward. So the brake isn't just fighting the vehicles weight (and not encountering further wear once the vehicle's weight is countered), but also torque from the engine.

Now, with a big, torque-y engine mated to a TC automatic which multiples torque at initial revs, your brakes will be chewed out in no time.

Switch out of D to N anytime you anticipate a stop over 3 seconds IMO (isn't much of an effort). You can elect to use handbrake/foot brake depending on overall stoppage time. Also, use S mode as much as possible for engine braking (it's EXCELLENT) - if you maintain safe distances, you can react to the brake lights of the vehicle in front and just tip the car to S mode and have hundreds of brakeless manoeuvres. I should know - my brake pads are almost new at 25k kms.

Last edited by Mu009 : 4th June 2019 at 18:53. Reason: Correction(s) + Additions
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 18:33   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
It's essential to do that at traffic lights/anything over a 5 second stop in order to avoid brake pad wear in a big-engined auto.
Agree that is not safe to do this, but consuming more fuel in N is something I disagree. I usually do this at 100KMPH and without Engine Braking, vehicle is going to cover more distance, so NO, N is not going to consume more fuel.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2019 at 18:46. Reason: compacted quoted post
Old 4th June 2019, 18:45   #3923
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Mu009 - Sorry for the newbie question, new to both big-engined as well as auto. Is this because the vehicle will try to creep forward and the break will wear out trying to stop it?

And thank you, I never thought about this and was merrily keeping the brake engaged and gear on D on long red lights.

Last edited by rovingeye : 4th June 2019 at 18:55. Reason: Typo
Old 4th June 2019, 18:54   #3924
BHPian

Quote:

And thank you, I never thought about this and was merrily keeping the break engaged and gear on D on long red lights.
I dont think brake will wear out, as there is no friction without movement.
Keeping in Neutral is to give a relaxing moment to your leg I guess.
GKG4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:01   #3925
BHPian

Quote:
consuming more fuel in N is something I disagree. I usually do this at 100KMPH and without Engine Braking, vehicle is going to cover more distance, so NO, N is not going to consume more fuel.
Sir if you use Google, you will find a whole bunch of reliable sources busting this myth for you.
In a modern car with ECU controlled fuelling like ours, fuelling will be shut down ENTIRELY via injectors in D with your foot off the A pedal. N cannot beat that - no matter what the other factors are. You are free to disagree of course - that is entirely your prerogative, especially in the age of alternative facts.

Secondly, coming to the gear+engine braking part of your "argument", engine braking would apply depending on speed and gear combo. Said case of engine braking is easy to eliminate - let alone imperative.

Also, an overdrive gear would give better fuel economy than neutral even without the injectors bring shut down like in a modern car.

I humbly request you to refrain from this at 100kph (or indeed, any other speed). You are piloting a 2.5 tonne vehicle on a PUBLIC road (not to mention in a country with lots of public) - it's an enormous responsibility.

And here's a picture that should give you an idea of me knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to FE and the Endeavour:
Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_20190518_080710.jpg
Oh, and before anyone asks - yes, it's a 3.2 4x4 AT, not a 2.2.

Quote:
I dont think brake will wear out, as there is no friction without movement.
Keeping in Neutral is to give a relaxing moment to your leg I guess.
Do keep us updated on your brake pad replacements - front and rear. This is a much discussed topic among Endeavour owners, and I for one will greatly appreciate another data point where driving style is known.

Last edited by Mu009 : 4th June 2019 at 19:21. Reason: Fixed broken quote + Adding a photo
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 19:04   #3926
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agree that is not safe to do this, but consuming more fuel in N is something I disagree. I usually do this at 100KMPH and without Engine Braking, vehicle is going to cover more distance, so NO, N is not going to consume more fuel.
Look, I know I'm flogging a dead horse right now and this is probably unpleasant for you, but whoa - you coast at 100 Kmph ? You could very well throw me off the top of Eiffel Tower right now and I'd be equally scared. We get it, you coast big time. Spare us the details please and please wear your seat belts.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 21:51   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect they will. You're probably not being ...
Very well put. I completely agree with you there. I own two Automatics, a Baleno and a Camry Hybrid.
Both have indication on the instrument cluster but are not as easy to find or simple to read as the one next to the gear lever.
The Hybrid has the gear lever markings lit up though they do not change in any way with the gear position while in the Baleno it does not light up.
Its far easier to read the Hybrid than the Baleno gear position at night.
It just feels silly to delete this simple and helpful feature not so mention a bit downmarket.

Quote:

Its kind of fun for me to see how smooth Endeavour at this point, and how silent it.
I do not know if this is such a good idea. Please do not take offense as i do not mean to criticize but this leads to loss of engine braking hence loss of control as well as some damage caused due to friction if im not wrong. I know its not recommended to do the same in a manual vehicle.
Manuuj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 01:33   #3928
BHPian

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th June 2019 at 07:32. Reason: Back to back posts
anupamtiwari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 07:00   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
I humbly request you to refrain from this at 100kph (or indeed, any other speed). You are piloting a 2.5 tonne vehicle on a PUBLIC road (not to mention in a country with lots of public) - it's an enormous responsibility.

Do keep us updated on your brake pad replacements - front and rear. This is a much discussed topic among Endeavour owners, and I for one will greatly appreciate another data point where driving style is known.
Got your point, however, I was doing this on Expressway when there is low or no traffic nearby. However, I do now understand its not safe and will avoid this.
About brakepads, I had 30k service recently and still as per SA brake pads are good to go for long run (probably another 20-30k). I am still not believing that D on Traffic Lights has any impact on this. Check this link, its clearly mentioned not to switch to Neutral at RED Lights, The actual damage takes place when you switch into and out of the neutral mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Look, I know I'm flogging a dead horse right now and this is probably unpleasant for you, but whoa - you coast at 100 Kmph ? You could very well throw me off the top of Eiffel Tower right now and I'd be equally scared. We get it, you coast big time. Spare us the details please and please wear your seat belts.
I always wear seat belts, and as stated above, will avoid this and was doing only on Expressway with little to no traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I do not know if this is such a good idea. Please do not take offense as i do not mean to criticize but this leads to loss of engine braking hence loss of control as well as some damage caused due to friction if im not wrong. I know its not recommended to do the same in a manual vehicle.
I never felt loss of control, but then I never been to life threatening situation. And I dont wish to be in one, so will avoid this for sure.

Now I am feeling good to be part of this group as there is always a lot to learn from all of you.

Last edited by GKG4 : 5th June 2019 at 07:17.
GKG4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 16:39   #3930
BHPian

Seeing a Ford Endeavour ad on TV during the World Cup broadcast. Never seen one before. Are they finally starting to put the money saved from deleting small LED bulbs to work?

Good Ad though. A bit cheesy maybe, but good.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByUkeTYB...d=fzuzt8qbylw7
rovingeye is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed