Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2016, 19:10   #136
BHPian

Re: 2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Folks, After evaluating the Creta, XUV and Duster, I', on the verge of booking a Duster Rxz AMT.

I believe I'm getting a good deal with heavy discounts and will be a little lesser than 14Lakhs on road.
I was willing to even stretch a little for the Creta S+ Auto, but the ride quality and lack of ESC was a major dampener to spend an additional 2 Lakhs.

I've always had a few doubts regarding the AMT's functionality on inclines. I hadn't seen this discussed on TeamBHP either. So I took a longer test drive today and managed to do a few crazy tests in full on Kochi traffic.

Test 1
Drove halw way up a fly over, stopped the vehicle completely and let go the accelerator. I wanted to know if the vehicle would roll back after the 4 second Hill assist. But it didn't. (It does on the Celerio).

Test 2
I stopped the vehicle completely on the downward incline, slotted AMT into reverse, and let go the brakes and accelerator. The vehicle did not roll forward and creeped backward.

Thus, except for the noticeable 2nd and 3rd gear shift, the AMT performed quite decently.

For some last minute queries,
1) Will I be able to use the AMT Manual mode efficiently on bad roads and inclines?(Which would have alternatively required the half clutch balancing?). I plan to do a Ladakh drive some time next year, so I hope the AMT wont be a problem. Do AMT's have durability issues?

2) The metal on the duster felt inferior to the ones used on Creta. I hope the structural safety is Ok with the Duster.

I realize the duster isn't doing great business anymore and I will might be ridiculed by some, but the duster simply felt more macho and ready to take up bad undulated roads than the XUV or Creta.
The Adventurer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2016, 18:13   #137
BHPian

Finally, got the Duster checked at Renault South Workshop near Sarita Vihar Metro Station for the left pulling issue in a brand new car. I had driven the car only 2-3 times since purchase and I told them that. They checked the wheel alignment and found no problem there. They gave me a report also of the wheel alignment. Incidentally, what they found was that both the tyres on the left side had significantly less tyre pressure, about 22 psi, and therefore the car was pulling to the left. I took a test drive post the rectification of the issue, and found no left pulling. So the issue is hopefully resolved. They have taken my complaint on the PDI not being done properly on the car. Hopefully they will be more careful from now on.
Old 25th August 2016, 22:29   #138
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Incidentally, what they found was that both the tyres on the left side had significantly less tyre pressure, about 22 psi, and therefore the car was pulling to the left.
Don't want to add to your worries but please check the tyre pressure in all wheels. Hope in your case it was a one off problem but they usually fiddle around with tyre pressures on all four wheels till the car starts tracking straight.
Tgo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 09:53   #139
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I booked a Duster 85 PS RXZ from "Gen Next Motors", Thane. Below are the details.

They offered a Discount of 47K + Corporate discount - 5K, dealer discount - 5K, So total discount comes to 57K and final OTR quote was - Rs.1,305,331

I am not opting for insurance from the dealer as their price was - 45,341

Need some help from the existing owners.

Which insurance I should opt for, should I go for the least quote or consider if Renault/Dealer has tie-up with any insurance provider.

should I request for any specific tyre (Not sure whether they will agree), I could see MRF tyres fitted to most of the cars at the dealership.

As I could see there are some rusting issue few owners are complaining and others say its not that big an issue, want to know is this common with the cars. I don't understand after under body anti rust coating how this happening.

Any other check points will be appreciated.

Thanks
soumya
Old 29th August 2016, 15:32   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Adventurer View Post
Folks, After evaluating the Creta, XUV and Duster, I', on the verge of booking a Duster Rxz AMT.

I believe I'm getting a good deal with heavy discounts and will be a little lesser than 14Lakhs on road.
Congratulations on making a sensible choice, Adventurer!

Would you mind providing a break up of the pricing for the Duster 110 RxZ AMT please? The OTR was coming to 16.4L when I checked in July and the discounting you have pulled off is amazing
Old 29th August 2016, 23:16   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisissoumya View Post
Yesterday I booked a Duster 85 PS RXZ from "Gen Next Motors", Thane. Below are the details.
Congratulations.

Quote:
I am not opting for insurance from the dealer as their price was - 45,341

Which insurance I should opt for, should I go for the least quote or consider if Renault/Dealer has tie-up with any insurance provider.
Find out who they have tied up with and then you can get quote from the same company through an independent agent or directly from the company. It is invariably cheaper as the Dealer commission on insurance is not added. Just make sure that the IDV value and other addons are the same. I managed to get the same Tata AIG coverage for my duster that the dealer was offering much cheaper directly from Tata AIG agent.

Quote:
should I request for any specific tyre (Not sure whether they will agree), I could see MRF tyres fitted to most of the cars at the dealership.
Tyres are installed at the plant at time of production. If you want to change, you will have to pay the difference. Not worth it as MRF's are okay with good life.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2016, 16:55   #142
BHPian

Guys,

Knew that Duster AMT RXZ/RXL has ESP. But, I couldn't find the switch to power on/off the ESP. In the AWD variant, there is a switch adjacent to ECO mode switch, but in AMT there is a switch but nothing is mentioned on it.

Is ESP always active on AMT and one cannot switch it off in AMT?

Need feedback on this. Have recently test driven RXZ AMT and observed this. Hence the query.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd September 2016, 07:36   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys,

Knew that Duster AMT RXZ/RXL has ESP. But, I couldn't find the switch to power on/off the ESP. In the AWD variant, there is a switch adjacent to ECO mode switch, but in AMT there is a switch but nothing is mentioned on it.

Is ESP always active on AMT and one cannot switch it off in AMT?

Need feedback on this. Have recently test driven RXZ AMT and observed this. Hence the query.

Thanks in advance.
i got the AMT RXZ and yes its always turned off and you cannot manually turn it off. That said I'm loving the car. My driving is limited to city limits. AMT Gearbox, handling and ride quality over potholes and bad roads is the best part about it.
wannabelean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 08:17   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
i got the AMT RXZ and yes its always turned off and you cannot manually turn it off..
I guess its always ON. You've mentioned it as OFF.

Also, what is the real time mileage in city and on highway.

Whats the on road price and any discounts.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 3rd September 2016 at 08:28.
Old 5th September 2016, 10:31   #145
BHPian

Yes my bad...its always ON. Dunno highway mileage as I barely go out of town. In the city I get about 14.5 FE in the city. I got it in July and it was Shraavan maasam or something so they gave a discount. On road all inclusive of insurance(zero dip taken outside) its costed me close to 15.3 L.
wannabelean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2016, 10:42   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Yes my bad...its always ON. Dunno highway mileage as I barely go out of town. In the city I get about 14.5 FE in the city. I got it in July and it was Shraavan maasam or something so they gave a discount. On road all inclusive of insurance(zero dip taken outside) its costed me close to 15.3 L.
15.3L for AMT in Hyderabad is good price, I think. Can you pl post the breakup of the on road price, if you are fine with it. Also, have you fitted any accessories, either in showroom or outside.

Can you post few pictures of the same, both interior and exterior as well.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th September 2016, 16:43   #147
BHPian

Guys,

Since AMT is mainly a manual gearbox with an add-on that makes it clutch less, do clutch and its related parts need to be replaced as per maintenance schedule or as required, similar to how it is done for a manual.

In a fully automatic vehicle, such replacements are not there. Hope I'm clear on this. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 9th September 2016 at 16:48.
Old 12th September 2016, 23:00   #148
BHPian

Guys,

If a Renault Duster AMT is driven always/most of the time in manual mode than in auto mode in order to avoid the slight lag / jerk, will there be any harm to the gearbox or to the amt setup.

Please respond to this and to the previous post, as I'm on the verge of booking an AMT.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 12th September 2016 at 23:04.
Old 18th September 2016, 08:53   #149
BHPian

I test drove RXZ AMT yesterday, and boy it was not bad at all. The AMT jerk is minimal and probably only felt by the driver. And once you move it to manual mode - overtaking and being the power-band becomes so much easy. Frankly, for most of us, looking for automatic which is going to be driven 90% in city traffic - this is quite good - I have Brio automatic and have driven Polo GT quite extensively - in city bumper-bumper it all becomes same - in fact I'd prefer Duster because of it higher seating and awesome ride quality. The point with Duster is you like to go through the potholes and broken roads with others you still struggle to avoid them . Presently Duster RXZ AMT is coming at ~ 3L Rs. less than Creta SX+ AT in Hyderabad - and this just clinches deal in my favor. As Creta continues to hike its prices and s-cross and duster continue to decrease there's - Duster and S-cross are my favorites again - probably had they priced this from the beginning, Creta would not have been a runaway hit that it became.
jha.shailesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2016, 11:20   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha.shailesh View Post
..And once you move it to manual mode - overtaking and being the power-band becomes so much easy..in fact I'd prefer Duster because of it higher seating and awesome ride quality. The point with Duster is you like to go through the potholes and broken roads with others you still struggle to avoid them . Presently Duster RXZ AMT is coming at ~ 3L Rs. less than Creta SX+ AT in Hyderabad - and this just clinches deal in my favor.
Exactly to the point.

After extensive test driving of vehicles across various segments right from Ecosport to Ertiga to S-Cross 1.6 to Duster AMT to Creta diesel 1.6 AT SX+ to XUV500 W6 AT to Innova G-AT, finally shortlisted Duster AMT and S-Cross 1.6 and eventually booked Duster RXZ AMT in White color as mentioned at the link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post4059026

I'm planning to use Duster RXZ AMT extensively in Manual mode only than in auto mode to avoid the delay in gear shifting. Hope this doesn't cause any additional issues.

BTW, what's the on-road price of Duster RXZ AMT in Hyderabad after discounts and details of discounts offered.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 18th September 2016 at 11:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks