Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 10:23   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Took delivery of a Duster AMT this weekend. Driven 50 kms so far. This is my first-ever clutcheless vehicle and I am enjoying it.

Two questions: A. in all cars I've seen, the remote key lock triggers one long flash of turn indicators and two small flashes indicate remote unlock.

But in my car it is the opposite: the turn indicators flash twice when I lock the car and flash once when I unlock. Is this norm for the Duster or my car is "custom-built" by Renault?

B. Is it possible to fit an arm-rest for the co-driver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Since I started doing it this way I noticed even more women flocking to me, men showing me greater respect and I started making more money.
DirtyDan, you run the local Elf dealership, isn't it?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 10th April 2017 at 10:26.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:18   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Took delivery of a Duster AMT this weekend. Driven 50 kms so far. This is my first-ever clutcheless vehicle and I am enjoying it.

Two questions: A. in all cars I've seen, the remote key lock triggers one long flash of turn indicators and two small flashes indicate remote unlock.

But in my car it is the opposite: the turn indicators flash twice when I lock the car and flash once when I unlock. Is this norm for the Duster or my car is "custom-built" by Renault?
Welcome to the Duster community; this is the way Duster behaves while locking/unlocking, it's absolutely normal, nothing unusual.

Congrats for your new ride bty. Don't forget to share your experience with the AMT in days to come.

Regards
agt7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:26   #348
BHPian

Can someone please advice about how the performance of 85ps version is. I will be doing a lot of highway trips, hills too, so wanted to understand if the 85ps would struggle. I know 110ps is good for highways, but thats way too over my budget. So for me, the comparison is between brezza and duster 85ps. Trying to understand which one would be more suitable from a highways and hill usage point of view.
Old 6th May 2017, 07:11   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Can someone please advice about how the performance of 85ps version is. I will be doing a lot of highway trips, hills too, so wanted to understand if the 85ps would struggle. I know 110ps is good for highways, but thats way too over my budget. So for me, the comparison is between brezza and duster 85ps. Trying to understand which one would be more suitable from a highways and hill usage point of view.
Though I own a 110 PS (AWD) and it's very good for long hauls even if the vehicle is loaded upto brim (witnessed it recently during a 2000km trip), I honestly believe that it depends upon what speeds you normally prefer to do. It it is 100-120 kph max then 85 PS should do absolutely fine. It's very driveable and would be even better than 110ps (non AWD) in hills as suggested by many experts across different fora. It should suffice for all real world practical purposes.
Regarding Brezza I cannot comment because haven't driven one.

Regards
Old 6th May 2017, 22:01   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agt7 View Post
Though I own a 110 PS (AWD) and it's very good for long hauls even if the vehicle is loaded upto brim (witnessed it recently during a 2000km trip), I honestly believe that it depends upon what speeds you normally prefer to do. It it is 100-120 kph max then 85 PS should do absolutely fine. It's very driveable and would be even better than 110ps (non AWD) in hills as suggested by many experts across different fora. It should suffice for all real world practical purposes.
Regarding Brezza I cannot comment because haven't driven one.

Regards
Thanks for the reply @agt7

In the pre-facelift version, I have read that there is water seeping issue during rain and washing etc. Has it been solved in the facelifted duster? Any water seeping issues?
Old 6th May 2017, 23:32   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Thanks for the reply @agt7

In the pre-facelift version, I have read that there is water seeping issue during rain and washing etc. Has it been solved in the facelifted duster? Any water seeping issues?
So far I have completed 5k Kms, out of which 2k in scorching heat (41-46 celsius) with continous AC usage. Luckily no water seepage issues so far.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:11   #352
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I am currently out in the market shopping for a diesel AT sedan/SUV where my running is around 75 KMS / day for daily office commute from Faridabad to Noida. And also would make once a quarter highway trips. Most of the times it will be driven alone and weekend getaways in a quarter with family. I got an offer from the dealer for 12.5 Lacs OTR faridabad registration for Vento TDI DSG Comfortline and 13 Lacs OTR for Skoda Rapid Mid variant which essentially comes with important bells and whistles. Do you think this is a sweet deal? Other car under consideration is a Duster AMT diesel 110 PS (OTR 14.1). I am in a big fix what to choose? Can experts help please? I can stretch by budget a bit and go ahead with a duster if it is a better car than VW or Rapid. I am leaving out XUV or Create AT because of higher budget.
Old 10th May 2017, 15:22   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Dear Friends,
I am currently out in the market shopping for a diesel AT sedan/SUV where my running is around 75 KMS / day for daily office commute from
If you will be pretty much using on urban roads and don't need the additional ground clearance, best to go for Vento/Rapid as it has a excellent power-train.

AMT is a cheap solution for small hatch backs, Renault shouldn't have chosen AMT for a car that costs 15 lakhs on the road. Drive both back to back and do some brisk acceleration, you will find that the AMT is way slower and jerkier than the DSG or Conventional Torque Converter automatic. Basically an AMT has a whole series of linkages/arms that the shifting and engaging/releasing the clutch automatically of a Manual Transmission. If you ask me, it may be a lot cheaper, but way more complex than a regular Torque Converter Automatic. I think more powerful cars will start facing issues with AMT in the long run.

If you prefer an SUV, consider the Hyundai Creta Automatic which comes with a proper 6-Speed Automatic.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:55   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
AMT is a cheap solution for small hatch backs, Renault shouldn't have chosen AMT for a car that costs 15 lakhs on the road. Drive both back to back and do some brisk acceleration, you will find that the AMT is way slower and jerkier than the DSG or Conventional Torque Converter automatic.
I test drove the Duster AMT extensively and then bought the Creta diesel AT but the power train was not the reason. Yes the AMT is sluggish, but only relatively. For an average joe looking for a big car who's not counting every gear shift, AMT is a very practical solution. Offers diesel's driveability, returns excellent mileage and is cheaper to maintain.

That being said, Duster has other shortcomings which didn't make it a value proposition, atleast to me.
Nonstop-driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 16:00   #355
BHPian

Duster has received zero rating in latest global NCAP crash test for the base model. However the model having driver airbag has scored three stars. The Latin made Duster has four stars last year and it seems that the Indian model has a smaller air bag compared to the later and that compromises the safety aspect. Full details in the below link.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/950270.html

It's really disappointing to see Duster performing so bad in the crash test even though the cost remains on the higher side. It's high time now Renault should pay attention to the safety features in all models.
SNayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 16:42   #356
BHPian

On a side note, today's FE carried an article on Duster crash test conducted by Global ncap.

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...h-test/662157/

Mods move this to relevant thread if location is incorrect.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 18:03   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNayak View Post
Duster has received zero rating in latest global NCAP crash test for the base model. However the model having driver airbag has scored three stars. The Latin made Duster has four stars last year and it seems that the Indian model has a smaller air bag compared to the later and that compromises the safety aspect. Full details in the below link.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/950270.html

It's really disappointing to see Duster performing so bad in the crash test even though the cost remains on the higher side. It's high time now Renault should pay attention to the safety features in all models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
On a side note, today's FE carried an article on Duster crash test conducted by Global ncap.

http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...h-test/662157/

Mods move this to relevant thread if location is incorrect.

Regards
Nikhil
Thanks Guys. This is a deal breaker for me. A million and a half rupee car that too which cannot keep the driver safe. I would go with a cheaper and infact solidly built vento or rapid.
Old 10th May 2017, 22:18   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
For an average joe looking for a big car who's not counting every gear shift, AMT is a very practical solution.
I was not referring to average joe, but for anyone who enjoys driving at reasonably higher speeds, AMT won't cut it.
Old 10th June 2017, 17:02   #359
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Point worth mentioning regarding insurance premiums and repair costs:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4214368

Its expensive to own a Duster.

I feel jealous of XUV, Creta and even Fortuner owners since their regular service costs and costs for replacement of wear and tear parts are always lower than Renault for their Duster. Wonder what level of localization its being manufactured at?
Old 11th June 2017, 19:46   #360
BHPian

Is the RXL AMT stopped by Renault? When I checked with Trident Renault in Bangalore, this is what the SA told.

Most Viewed