Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Old 8th February 2019, 09:35   #496
BHPian

Default Re: 2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Duster AMT gets minor updates, have shared the link below,
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...10-lakh-411414
In terms of equipment, the updated Duster gets an upgraded touchscreen infotainment system with the addition of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity.

Is it possible to get this update for the existing cars or is it a total different hardware , any idea ?

EDIT : Some googling reveals it is a totally new device

https://www.gps-rlink.com/2018/10/02...apple-carplay/

Last edited by ms001 : 8th February 2019 at 10:02.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2019, 08:05   #497
Senior - BHPian

It is better to get a good after market headunit, the new Media Nav system is still outdated. What is the point in allowing touch function only for Android phones?
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 15:33   #498
Senior - BHPian

My Duster celebrated its first year birthday earlier this month, I have enjoyed a trouble free ownership completing 25K kilometers.The FE has been consistent between 15-16kmpl.
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:55   #499
BHPian

I tried to fiddle around with the medianav to see if this can be updated to the latest version firmware with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but nothing worked out.

Please see the below thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4579186 (Renault Lodgy / Duster - Updating Navigation Maps)
Repsol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 09:37   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
I tried to fiddle around with the medianav to see if this can be updated to the latest version firmware with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, but nothing worked out.

Please see the below thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4579186 (Renault Lodgy / Duster - Updating Navigation Maps)
It is a totally different hardware it cannot be updated to android auto/ car play .
If you are looking to upgrade the HU , then blaupunkt has a good option .

https://www.blaupunkt.com/in/nc/prod.../single/13709/

Available for 19-20k
ms001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2019, 22:15   #501
Senior - BHPian

I got my Duster serviced from Renault Tumkur, it was a periodic service for 30K kms. I dropped in my vehicle at 10 am and vehicle was delivered at 1 pm. The total expenses was Rs.7100 which included some of my extra demands.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2019, 01:29   #502
BHPian

Hi everyone, my duster Rxl AMT completed 66,000 kms. It is still running on it's first set of break pads. I did a recent trip to Ooty in my duster from Vijayawada. Duster performed well even on the ghat sections. I got an overall mileage of 15kmpl.

While going to Dodabetta peak dusters ground clearance helped a lot. The road to peak is in very bad condition.

I feel it's time for Renault to provide cosmetic upgrades for Duster. These days I am getting the vehicle serviced at a nearby garage. I have a doubt, does Renault provide counter sale of spare parts? Whenever the mechanic meets me, he says they are from the company though. I still doubt that.

Overall am totally satisfied with the vehicle. Only after my vehicle crossed 50,000 kms 3 of my family members have purchased Dusters.

If you want to tour India, If you prefer to drive yourself fatigue free, I definitely will recommend people to test drive Duster.

Regards,
Drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 09:21   #503
Senior - BHPian

I changed the tyres to JK Ranger H/T stock size, the braking is now more assuring and tyre noise is considerably reduced. The fuel efficiency is still consistent between 15-16 kmpl.
deehunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 13:51   #504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
If you want to tour India, If you prefer to drive yourself fatigue free, I definitely will recommend people to test drive Duster.
Hi Pavan,

How old is your Duster? I am assuming it's the AMT variant? How less convenient is the AMT over the fully auto transmissions of other SUVs? I drive a Linea, diesel, manual. Off late i am experiencing fatigue over long drives, lack of power, requirement for higher GC etc. On highways etc when i slow down for a speed bump it takes it's own sweet time to pick up speed again. Having to shift 5 gears in a span of 10 seconds each time i slow down to sub 20 speeds is quite tiring. Duster AMT looks like a good alternative. The manual Linea is really taking a toll on my left hand, left leg and have almost made up my mind to go with only automatics in the future.

Look forward to hear your views.

Bharat

Last edited by bharatbits : 18th June 2019 at 13:52.
bharatbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2019, 15:03   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Hi Pavan,

How old is your Duster? I am assuming it's the AMT variant? How less convenient is the AMT over the fully auto transmissions of other SUVs? I drive a Linea, diesel, manual. Off late i am experiencing fatigue over long drives, lack of power, requirement for higher GC etc. Duster AMT looks like a good alternative.
Bharat
When you drive an AMT vehicle, you feel a lag for around 4 seconds before each gear shift. The lag is observed between 2nd and 3rd gear, sometimes between 3rd and 4th gear. A new driver takes time to get adjusted to this lag and learn how to control the throttle. The CVT vehicles are prone to rubber band effect, DSG ones from Skoda, VW are in a different league but not reliable. The best thing about Duster are the suspension and seat comfort, it is very comfortable for long drives. If you are budget conscious and happy to live with the aged interiors, Duster AMT can be a good alternative for city and highway usage. The fuel efficiency will be around 15kmpl in city and 18kmpl on highways.

Last edited by deehunk : 18th June 2019 at 15:32.
Old 18th June 2019, 23:02   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Hi Pavan,

How old is your Duster? I am assuming it's the AMT variant? How less convenient is the AMT over the fully auto transmissions of other SUVs? I drive a Linea, diesel, manual. Off late i am experiencing fatigue over long drives, lack of power, requirement for higher GC etc. On highways etc when i slow down for a speed bump it takes it's own sweet time to pick up speed again. Having to shift 5 gears in a span of 10 seconds each time i slow down to sub 20 speeds is quite tiring. Duster AMT looks like a good alternative. The manual Linea is really taking a toll on my left hand, left leg and have almost made up my mind to go with only automatics in the future.

Bharat

Hi, My Duster came home on 20 th December 2016. I have an Innova Crysta 2.8 G as well. My wife uses a 2014 Skoda Superb 2.0 Tdi Auto transmission. I mentioned these because all three vehicles are with different types of auto gear boxes.

My opinion on each one of these

a) Duster - AMT - Automated Manual Transmission. Its just like a mechanical part helping in your gear change.

Its best suited if you like to just travel from point A to point B on plain roads with smooth acceleration and smooth deceleration.

If you want to travel with 5 passengers and full load and in ghat section, I feel the lag will catch you badly.

If you are a sedate driver and if your journeys include light to medium weights, irrespective of the road condition Duster AMT will keep you happy.

b) Innova Crysta - Torque convertor unit.

My opinion - when I travel with my whole family and heavy load, TC does a fantastic job. 2.8 engine is huge and with a Torque Convertor unit, it does the ferrying job very well. Let it be plains or ghats, it does not matter, Crysta shines and keeps me very happy.

If you want more mileage, this is not the vehicle.

c) Superb Skoda - DSG

If you love driving on highways and if 0-100 timings matter you more, then it will satisfy you.

Back of my mind, I am always afraid of the ASS. Even service costs are more. It can be used on both plains and ghats equally with or without loads.

As a vehicle I like it a lot but I always need to pamper the vehicle by providing extra care.

Overall if I travel alone or If I travel with my driver, I prefer to use Duster AMT as it has fantastic ride quality, good ground clearance, good mileage, easy parking, adequate boot space.

Make sure, you be prepared to be a sedate driver if you are planning for this car.

My Duster has completed 65,000kms and is still on stock brake pads, and on first set of clutch plates.

I feel I could achieve this by being a sedate driver.

The above are my personal observations and I do not intend to hurt any one by comparing different segment cars.

Hope this helps.

dr.pavan
drpavan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2019, 09:11   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
Hi, My Duster came home on 20 th December 2016. I have an Innova Crysta 2.8 G as well. My wife uses a 2014 Skoda Superb 2.0 Tdi Auto transmission. I mentioned these because all three vehicles are with different types of auto gear boxes.
Thanks! That helps.

I am quite sedate in my driving style, no 0 100 timing races etc. I even let smaller cars pass me when i think they are getting into a race.

The Crysta is too large for my needs. The Superb is a wonderful car, but i feel it's quite difficult to maintain such a long, low slung car scratch free on our narrow city roads with jam packed traffic. Even small nicks by two wheelers and auto guys on ORVMs, body panels etc bother me. I'll consider taking a TD of the Duster AMT and see how it goes.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote