Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 12:32   #556
BHPian

Re: 2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

Duster experts,

Saw an advertisement for Duster AMT RXZ DCI for 12 lacs, from a gentleman who is moving to Usa on Mygate app.

Only 20000 km done on the car and seems to be 2017 registration (probably before the 2019 facelift).

What do you guys think? I personally think it's way too expensive for a car whose production has already been shutdown.
What price do you think can I haggle it down to?

Any known issues to be aware of? Should I be worried about the injectors konking out quickly.?

I am still confirming if he has extended warranty and roadside assistance.

Thank you for the help in advance

Last edited by 1985Darkkid85 : 13th April 2022 at 12:33.
Old 7th June 2022, 23:47   #557
Senior - BHPian

Well there's been a Duster AMT in the house for a few years. A 2016 model. It wasn't here during the lockdown days and over the last few months I drove to Patna and took a flight back leaving a couple of cars there.

Since this Duster was behind my Thar in the parking blocking it, I took its key and drove it around in the city of Gurgaon for a few days. I liked it. The AMT isn't all that bad. The ride and the shift are rather smooth. That small momentary delay can be observed but I don't really go around flooring cars on the road or off-road unless it's a planned high ramp climb on a dune or mud bank.

I took it from Gurgaon to Jhajjhar and Noida a few times and liked driving it. Finally I took it to Jaipur and back over the last three days. It drove superbly. I never crossed 100 KMPH on this road where truckers drive in all three lanes. Most of my highway driving was between 70 to 90 / 100 KMPH. The AC with its auto climate control was superb. 110 bhp power for a medium size car like this was more than adequate. On my way back in Manesar this evening I got it refueled at an Indian Oil service station which is company run and sells diesel about 20 paisa / liter cheaper than other Gurgaon fuel pumps. The consumption figures were an average of 17.4 KM / liter while I never used the Eco mode. Not bad I would say. Will use it to drive around town. One thing I like the most is it's very short turning circle.

It has a cruise control but even on the KMP ( Western Peripheral Expressway ) the truckers drive in all three lanes. The Auto Cruise Control just isn't practical. Set cruise at 100 ( The speed limit is 120 on KMP ) change into the middle lane because of a truck ahead. It disengages and on resume no sooner than it reaches 80 brake again. Now a truck in the middle too. Unless they restrict the trucks to the left lane as on the Yamuna Expressway or NH 48 from Manesar to Delhi too the Cruise function will just not function well in these parts.

Last edited by desertfox : 7th June 2022 at 23:58.
Old 31st August 2022, 11:31   #558
BHPian

Hi everyone, My Duster AMT completed 1,08,000 kms. It is on its first set of clutch and Flywheel. I have not had any Injector problems so far.

From 30,000 kms service onwards I shifted to a trusted mechanic in my neighborhood. I have been using Mobil 3000 5w-30 grade fully synthetic engine oil till date. I follow a 10,000 kms interval for oil change.

The key for a healthy AMT is to go for a gradual acceleration especially in the 1,2 gears. I am planning to keep this vehicle for long. My vehicle is 2016 model and is out of warranty.

If you have any questions regarding long term reliability of AMT, I can help you out. Thank you.
drpavan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 15:06   #559
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Late to join the party, I have recently picked up a 2016 model RXZ AMT, done 67K kms. The car is in decent condition, and we could check the service history from Renault.

While driving the car in first few days, I noticed slight judder in bumper-to-bumper traffic, especially when the car had run few kms. knowing the symptoms, got it checked at Renault ASC which diagnosed that clutch had gone weak and flywheel needed change . They said there was no immediate need for change, and we could drive for another 8-10k kms, but we always prefer perfect running condition car. Renault ASC quoted 74K for this, which was way beyond expected. Thus asked them to return the car, and we started quest to source the clutch-flywheel set from market.

Luc brand set was sourced by a local garage @ 42K, but we decided to use our own sources to find better rate options. The same set was sold at Kashmiri gate @ 36K. But having not-so-good past experiences of Kashmiri gate sourced parts, we continued our search, and found a reliable source at Chandigarh who came highly recommended for supplying genuine spares at best rates. He also offered the same at 36K. Ordered the set, along with the following items:

Brake pads (Bosch 2K)
Timing Belt (2.7K)
Fan Belt (1.1K)
Oil Filter (.25K)
Air Filter (.55K)
Diesel Filter (1.5K)

The car is back after the service (Engine oil, Brake oil, Gear oil & Steering oil also changed) and repair. Now running perfect. Hope all running parts are taken care of and hope to enjoy the car. Will keep updating on further experiences.

Cheers!

ashish
Ashish B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 16:19   #560
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2017 AMT done about 34K Kms, recently noticed one the front struts was leaking so decided to get the set replaced(left, right).

The amount quoted from the SC was 5200+800 * 2.
I was looking for resorbable options considering Duster uses Monroe struts that are available outside at much lower cost.

Spoke to Bay6(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...ml#post3544739 (Multi-brand Car Servicing & Repairs - Bay 6 Motorworks (Bangalore))), they quoted 800 for labor and about 3000 per struct(Monroe aftermarket) for arranging the parts. Seemed decent enough so went ahead and got the set replaced. Work was done professionally and to my satisfaction. Any suspension change requires wheel alignment, that was done immediately after at Tyre Empire Hosa road.

Here are some pictures of the parts, work in-progress.

Original Strut
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-old.jpeg
Original Strut is also from Monroe
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-original-monroe.jpeg
Old Strut dismounted
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-old-struct.jpeg
Monroe Box
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-monroe-pack.jpeg
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-monroe-1.jpeg
Comparison
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-comparison.jpeg
Mounted2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-fitted.jpeg
ms001 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:16   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Spoke to Bay6(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/banga...ml#post3544739 (Multi-brand Car Servicing & Repairs - Bay 6 Motorworks (Bangalore))), they quoted 800 for labor and about 3000 per struct(Monroe aftermarket) for arranging the parts. Seemed decent enough so went ahead and got the set replaced. Work was done professionally and to my satisfaction. Any suspension change requires wheel alignment, that was done immediately after at Tyre Empire Hosa road.
Any difference in ride quality or handling after this change, considering you went aftermarket route?
Old 2nd September 2022, 09:32   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Any difference in ride quality or handling after this change, considering you went aftermarket route?
The original strut is exactly the same as this, both are manufactured by the same company Monroe. You can see the comparison and branding in my previous post.

Monroe is official Renault supplier for struts and shocks, Renault sells it at double the cost in the service center. You get the same part outside at half the cost from any spare parts shop.

I had done a 1300km round trip immediately after the replacement and didn't find any issue with ride and and handling, its back to how it was when new.
ms001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 17:52   #563
BHPian

I have a 2017 model Renault Duster Petrol CVT and recently some rattling noise have started coming up on the left side of the car, there is rattling from the center dashboard on top where there is a pocket for keeping phones and stuffs and then near glove box.

I did ask service center to check for a solution but they did not bother and just did the normal oil change service as usual and deoivered the car. I live in Bangalore, Whitefield region, Can anyone suggest if there are any good mechanics who can help me
in identifying this issue and also fix it?

I do not trust gomechanic because last time when I gave my Ford Fiesta Classic for an AC service they just assigned my car to some local mechanic shop near roadside and those guys damaged the coolant pipes and it started leaking on my lomg journey and finally my family had a terrible time in hot summer without an AC
Old 10th October 2022, 15:57   #564
BHPian

AC Compressor and Condenser replacement

Mine is a 2017 RXZ 85 PS MT model, currently done 56K kms. Just 2 months back, I got the 60K kms service done from Renault Silkboard, and got all the belts changed (as recommended by Renault), along with the regular service. Now, I was coming back from a trip to my hometown (Kerala), and took a halt at Salem A2B for breakfast. Once I started from Salem, suddenly a loud kat-kat noise starts coming, it was so loud that I can hear it even with all windows closed. I immediately stopped the vehicle to check, but couldn't see anything obvious. Then again started it to see if the sound comes, but no sound as such. But as soon as I switched on the AC, the sound came back again. This confirmed something to do with the AC system. I initially thought it's the fan, so checked the engine bay, but did not notice any issue with the fan. Since it was a Sunday, and Salem Renault A.S.S was closed, I continued my return journey without AC.

Post reaching BLR, I took it to Renault Silkboard, they diagnosed the issue to be a play in compressor pulley, and the only solution was to replace the compressor, for which they quoted 38K (including labour). At this point they didn't even check the condenser. Since my car is out of warranty, they said nothing much can be done from their side, even though it's just been 3 months since the warranty expired, and this is not a part which should ideally fail so soon. But they just simply refused any sort of goodwill warranty. Anyways, I decided to not handover the vehicle immediately, and took it to Bay6 Motorworks (Multi-brand Car Servicing & Repairs - Bay 6 Motorworks (Bangalore)). Mr. Bala attended the vehicle quickly, and without wasting much time, suggested to take it to Aditya Car AC (Koramangala) for diagnosis. Spoke to Mr. Pradeep from Aditya Car AC, and explained the issue to him. Took the vehicle to him on Saturday morning, and immediately they started the diagnosis.

Within 10 mins they confirmed the issue is with compressor, and not just the pulley as advised by Renault. They also check the condenser and confirmed that the system is choked, and the condenser also needs to be replaced. They even took out some of the fluid from compressor and showed me. It has become a dark grey thick slime type fluid.

So, decided to go ahead with replacing the compressor and condenser. Mr. Pradeep sourced the replacement parts (both same brand - Sanden compressor and Behr condenser) within 1hr. By the time the parts arrived, the technicians dismantled the old compressor and condenser. All in all, the work was completed in 2.5 hrs, and I was heading back home. So far things are fine, even the when the compressor kicks in, the sound is much less than what it used to be earlier.

Total cost came to 32K including parts and labour. If I would have given the vehicle to Renault, then compressor itself would have costed me 38K, add to that the cost of condenser, which I am sure they will charge upwards of 10K. Anyways, it was quite an ordeal to deal with, considering the vehicle is just 5 yrs. and 60K kms old. But I am not very impressed with Renault, firstly because of such a part failing so soon, and secondly, not offering any kind of goodwill gesture, when they can clearly see that warranty expired just 3 months back.
Repsol is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 17:17   #565
BHPian

Quote:
The original strut is exactly the same as this, both are manufactured by the same company Monroe. You can see the comparison and branding in my previous post.

Monroe is official Renault supplier for struts and shocks, Renault sells it at double the cost in the service center. You get the same part outside at half the cost from any spare parts shop.

I had done a 1300km round trip immediately after the replacement and didn't find any issue with ride and and handling, its back to how it was when new.
Same manufacturer doesn’t mean same part. Did you verify using the part number , in the pics of the original and new damper side by side, the new one looks longer . Unless it’s an optical illusion
Old 11th November 2022, 11:20   #566

Renault Duster Weird Gear Shifting Problem

Good Morning BHPIANS,
I own a Renault Duster RXZ AMT 2016 Model and have clocked about 75 K.
A very weird thing happened yesterday, while driving the Gear got locked in 2nd Gear, could not shift to 3 rd or 1st gear, since there was little traffic I took the car to side and shifted to neutral but the Dashboard still displayed 2 nd Gear and moved forward when accelerated with Paddle Shift in Neutral Position.
I turned off the Ignition and restarted engine and could drive normally for some time about 4 kms. After about 4 Kms of drive same thing got repeated and I did the same procedure again. Can anybody enlighten me how serious this observed issue is? Thank you.
Old 20th December 2022, 08:44   #567

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
Hello, First of all I wish to tell you that my Duster AMT purchased in 2016 December completed 74000 kms. I am very happy with the purchase. I never faced any breakdowns. Duster is an important product for Renault.

Renault might discontinue the diesel version but the petrol version might be on sale. The spares should not be an issue at all.

From 30000kms onwards I am getting the vehicle serviced at a neighborhood garage.

Duster is a vehicle which is mechanically sound rather than the cosmetics. If you drive by yourself and if you give priority for suspension and drive comfort, then nothing can beat Duster.

My other cars are Cruze, Crysta. I really still like Duster for the suspension it offers.

Thank you.
I am thinking of used S Cross Diesel 1.6 liter or Duster diesel which one will be a better deal.
Old 31st August 2023, 22:44   #568

I have a 2019 Alpha Petrol. Recently my grandfather gave me his Duster 2017, RXZ Diesel. Both cars have 20k on their odo. Most of the running will be in the city but have a few outstation trips planned post September.
I need to allocate one car to the family driver for ferrying my family and doing the city chores while i use one for my own use (self-driven). It will not be easy for me to trade one for the other cause i tend to get attached to my machine and thus like exclusivity in driving it.
Any inputs are welcome please.
Old 5th September 2023, 16:01   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrador View Post
I have a 2019 Alpha Petrol.
Not sure what you mean by 2019 Alpha petrol, could you specify the make and model?
Old 5th September 2023, 16:20   #570

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by 2019 Alpha petrol, could you specify the make and model?
Apologies, must have missed it by mistake. I meant a 2019 Maruti Ciaz Alpha Petrol MT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks