Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 07:31   #46
BHPian

Re: 2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review

What happened to Renault's quality control?

Recently, I went with my friend to see his RXZ variant car prior to delivery. We were shocked to see incorrect variant badge on left side! Instead of rxz, the car had rxl badge!

Sales adviser promised to swap it, but seeing something like that on a new car can be disheartening.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20160402_172322.jpg  

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-20160402_172814.jpg  

Last edited by anilntny : 8th April 2016 at 07:36.
anilntny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 16:52   #47
BHPian

Re: Test drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10 View Post
You mean the newly launched duster, is it available in Blr showrooms?
It wont come here in Delhi for next 2-3 weeks and getting similar vibes from vinitbhavi for Mumbai as well!!
110 was the new version. 85 was the old test drive vehicle. Btw, both versions were on display (and in the yard) , in the new avatar.

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 8th April 2016 at 16:54.
Old 8th April 2016, 23:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
It wont come here in Delhi for next 2-3 weeks and getting similar vibes from vinitbhavi for Mumbai as well!!
Bangaloreans are quite lucky then if they have already started testing the cars. I have a strong feeling the vehicle should be there in bombay /Delhi to test by next week. Really looking forward to hearing from other perspective buyers.

Last edited by vinitbhavi : 8th April 2016 at 23:36. Reason: Place change
Old 9th April 2016, 08:31   #49
Team-BHP Support

I have spotted the new version as a TD car [with stickers and all and in this signature color] at the new dealership here. And I have spotted it at a few places, suggests that they are giving TD's.
Old 9th April 2016, 08:43   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I saw 2 cars in the JP Nagar showroom. They might have a test drive too.
Old 9th April 2016, 12:15   #51
s10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesha View Post
The new Duster is already here in Delhi, 2-3 new vehicles are displayed in 'Renault Archini'. I did a 30KM test drive of the new AWD Duster on 3rd April. One of my friend took delivery of the facelift AWD on 5th April.
Did you get to drive the AMT version as well?
I think manual is available and AMT will come after some time. Hope the delay is not because of any technincal snag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have spotted the new version as a TD car [with stickers and all and in this signature color] at the new dealership here. And I have spotted it at a few places, suggests that they are giving TD's.
Was it an AMT model?

Last edited by Aditya : 11th April 2016 at 07:08. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 9th April 2016, 17:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Did you get to drive the AMT version as well?
I think manual is available and AMT will come after some time. Hope the delay is not because of any technincal snag
Even AMT was available for test drive.. However I was not interested in AMT as I was looking for AWD version.
Old 10th April 2016, 08:26   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Having driven a few AMT cars and also having used quite a Automatic's, in my opinion AMT is good only for economy hatches. The shifts are never like a modern Torque Converter or DSG automatic.

Renault should have put a regular 6-Speed in the Duster and limited the AMT to the hatches. Just like the manual AWD, they should have launched an AWD with automatic as well. With Hyundai firing on all cylinders, time for Renault to get their act together or continue to loose market share...
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 16:08   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Having driven a few AMT cars and also having used quite a Automatic's, in my opinion AMT is good only for economy hatches. The shifts are never like a modern Torque Converter or DSG automatic.

Renault should have put a regular 6-Speed in the Duster and limited the AMT to the hatches. Just like the manual AWD, they should have launched an AWD with automatic as well. With Hyundai firing on all cylinders, time for Renault to get their act together or continue to loose market share...
Are the shifts smooth or tolerable in AMTs when you let go of the throttle when gear is changed just like you would in a manual car. I might be interested in the AMT duster just because of the magical ride it provides over bad roads. I would mostly prefer to use manual mode to shift gears as the car will be used mostly in hills and holding a gear longer has lots of advantages over here. Frankly, if I were to buy any automatic car, I would for sure, use it mostly in the manual mode, whether with the lever or paddles. For me, the AMT takes away the the agony of using a heavy clutch while letting me retain the experience of a manual vehicle and for me it works better than a fully auto transmission.
I am sure I can get the same effect on a normal auto transmission as well but unfortunately no other car offers the same ride as a duster.
Old 11th April 2016, 11:31   #55
BHPian

Got invited to the launch of Duster Facelift in Kolkata. The event was held in ITC with lunch afterwards. Blackpearl & I reached the venue at 11.45. From Renault, we had VP - Sales & Marketing - Renault, Mr. Rafael Tregeur & The Easter Business head for Renault India. Do not remember his name now.

The event started with the AV of Renault Duster, Adventure Zone Event organized by Gangs of Duster. For those interested please find the AV below :

Then, Mr. Tregeur gave presentation on the Renault journey in India & other marketing slides showing new features et all.

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_0128.jpg

Then the Unveiling started.

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_0133.jpg

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_0134.jpg

Finally Unveiled.

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_0135.jpg

Blackpearl & I at the event.

2016 Renault Duster Facelift & AMT (Automatic) : Official Review-img_0138.jpg

We test drove the AMT as well as the AWD. I will focus more on AMT since I already have an AWD & driving the new one wasn't too different. Somehow, I missed the wall of torque in the AWD. While parking the car I saw that it had ECO mode on. May be that is the reason behind it.

This was the first time I ever drove an AMT. I have driven ATs before so I think my expectation were higher than they should have been. The lags are quite a bit. You can feel all gear changes quite visibly. On kickdown, the jerks increase quite a bit. The gear changes were happening around 4k in the kick-down mode. While in traffic, I sometimes had to wait for a sec to gear to engage. The manual mode on the other hand was a convenience. It only changes gears when you touch the lever. Blackpearl noted that it was not the same in some other ATs where in the manual mode the gear change after a certain cut off rev.

I found the AMT in auto mode highly uncomfortable & but I think a little practice may help in finding the soft rev spot for instant power.

As far as interiors are concerned, a lot has been covered in the review. I will just add some more from an owners perspective.

1. I hate the CRIMSON on AWD.

2. The Automatic AC has better throw than the manual one present in the older version (Even at Air throw level 4)

3. Thank fully, the rear armrest has been modified. There was a design flaw in the last model. If a person rested there elbow on the rear hand rest, the power window button used to get pressed & the window rolled down. Whenever I have people sitting behind, I have to lock the windows to avoid any such instance. This has been improved in the new gen Duster.

4. I was happy with the ORVM selector below the handbrake. It was safer there. As it is, the ORVMs in Duster have a wide view & do not reuire frequent changes.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 11:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
For me, the AMT takes away the the agony of using a heavy clutch while letting me retain the experience of a manual vehicle and for me it works better than a fully auto transmission.
Renault has reworked the clutch issue on the newer models. I think the change was introduced for 2015 vehicles. From my experience, it's not an issue anymore even on longer drives.
Old 11th April 2016, 13:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Renault has reworked the clutch issue on the newer models. I think the change was introduced for 2015 vehicles. From my experience, it's not an issue anymore even on longer drives.
Having driven petrol vehicles all my life, I usually find diesel clutches too hard for my liking. Also since my move to the hills, I have started detesting driving cars because of higher number of gear changes and clutch use. Hence I am pretty sure my next car will have an automatic transmission. If the road conditions at my place were good or even mediocre I would probably not consider Duster. However the roads over here are pretty rough and still the Dusters amazing suspensions makes short work of it. So, at least for me, Duster is a logical choice despite the uninspiring interiors and the AMT, if manageable under conditions I mentioned above, will be like cherry on the cake.
Old 14th April 2016, 09:45   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Ambuj Agrawal for sharing this note!

Quote:
Renault has officially confirmed to me today that the Duster AWD model will ONLY be available in the new Cayenne Orange & Amazon Green Colours.
Is this true? Sounds quite illogical. What if I want a white AWD?
Old 14th April 2016, 10:42   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Are the shifts smooth or tolerable in AMTs
It is okay, and as you said, it sure beats driving a manual in city traffic. It is not as smooth and seamless as modern Torque Converter or Dual Clutch automatics. My point was that since they are taking almost a lakh premium over the comparable manual model for the ATM, they may as well have put in a proper automatic gearbox.

I suggest check it out and get a feel at highway speeds also, especially downshifts when overtaking on the highway.
Old 18th April 2016, 17:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Can't think of any production car with ESP and without traction control.

Don't know, but XUV is shown having ESP, but does not have TCS as per Mahindra.

Also, previous version of Elantra Crdi had TCS but no ESP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks