Team-BHP - Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Maruti Vitara Brezza : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/174917-maruti-vitara-brezza-official-review-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_shimla (Post 3949645)
IMHO the engine is highly under powered. I felt it was struggling big time to keep pace here in hills specially with a full load and steep gradient.

That's not lack of power, that's turbo-lag (as explained by other BHPians in reply to your post).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillout (Post 3949692)
As always excellent review, was it a conscious decision to leave out the Creta in the comparisons.

Variant to variant and size-wise, the Creta is positioned much higher. It's like comparing the Dzire to the Verna.

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOVATOR (Post 3949828)
however, I don't think you have looked at the back seats. I am yet to sit on a more uncomfortable seating position. Especially for longer rides, it is simply unacceptable. the headrests issues, that find mention, just add to the woes of the back seat rider.

I sat on it from Pune to Wai and wouldn't say that it's 'woeful'. Yes, it could be better and the EcoSport's rear bench is where I'd rather be on a long drive.

Under-thigh support missing? Mentioned.
Headrest poking? Mentioned.
Flat rear bench? Mentioned.

So what more do you want us to outline? Whatever is good & bad has already been put up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiInJa (Post 3949898)
The Nexa strategy is not confused if you start looking at the minor details of the review. The absence of Bi-xenon lamps, leather wrapped steering wheels, auto dimming IRVM or all four disc brakes or the mention of premium feel in Baleno compared to Vitara Brezza all point to one thing: Cars sold through Nexa outlets are a little premium compared to normal ones

The Baleno has a lighter / cheaper build, lesser power and is a cheaper car. To even suggest that it is more premium than the Vitara Brezza is ridiculous. It's missing some of the Vitara Brezza's equipment too (e.g. auto wipers, cruise control, dual seatback pockets etc.). Also, if Nexa is indeed all about the features, they wouldn't be selling lower poverty-spec variants without the goodies you've listed. Seen the Baleno's base variant :)? Or the S-Cross base?

Finally the much awaited review(Sorry for the cliche dialogue).
Thanks for the maximized review. i guess only the ICE in VDi part is missed in the detailing. clap:

Thinking about upgrading my 2010 Swift VDi .
Had a look at the Brezza 2 weeks ago. TD vehicle was not available then. Eagerly waiting to get it done.

Confused between ZDi and ZDi+, Red/Blue:)

Here comes much awaited review, that is top class too, thank you very much. In all possibilities Brezza is going to be there in top 5 chart.
I felt bit strange that Brezza was compared against Duster, which is in fact belong to a segment Creta lies. It is true that 84HP version of Duster crosses the price range of Brezza, but is it enough to compare? Duster 84HP shall be a fair comparison against Creta 1.4 IMO.

Great test drive but what a terrible value proposition. I just can't get over how much Maruti has cut corners. No leather on the steering wheel for a 10 lac car? The interiors look like they belong on the Swift.

The Ciaz isn't much more expensive and tries to offer you a premium feel. The Brezza isn't premium and isn't an SUV...which begs the questions....What is Maruti selling for 10 lacs? A larger Wagon R disguised as a modern Gypsy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3949918)
Also, if Nexa is indeed all about the features, they wouldn't be selling lower poverty-spec variants without the goodies you've listed. Seen the Baleno's base variant :)? Or the S-Cross base?

Yes, I agree to that, but selling lower spec car in normal outlet and higher spec ones in Nexa will be confusing for customers and hence a disaster, something which Maruti wont do. I think a sales figures chart of base versions with top versions should help understand how the Nexa outlets are working out :)

Having said that, I do feel that there is something more to cars coming out of Nexa outlets than normal outlets if we compare only Vitara and S-Cross at this point (and see Baleno top end in isolation with other Maruti's top end hatchback offerings). I might be wrong though as I haven't test driven either of them.

Mod Note: Please delete the post if necessary as this one is not related to Vitara Brezza directly.

Great review guys. I have seen & read almost all the reviews on YT and interwebs and thought I know this car in and out but you guys somehow managed to surprise me with all the small details which every other reviewer missed. Yet again a great job guys.

Coming back to the vehicle itself, I just came back from my much anticipated test drive and after driving a CRDi i20 and a DDIS Swift the first thing I felt as soon as the car started moving was this engine is refined. The car felt really light to drive. I could feel the turbo lag and unfortunately didn't find empty roads to stretch its legs but I will go with my previous experience of DDIS and your words about the surge which we get after 2000 rpm.

I casually asked my SE that what if I wanted to swap my booking from Zdi to Zdi+ and he said I should be looking at a 18 week waiting. Ouch, This is when I had booked my car on 17th March itself.

Things which we don't get in ZDi are:

Auto folding IVRM
Indicators on IVRM
Cruise Control
Touch Screen Infotainment System(Basically you miss navigation if you are an Android user or am I wrong here)
Door Mounted Tweeters
Cooled Glove Box
Push Button Start
Arm Rest
Reverse parking camera(Integrated with the Infotainment System itself)
Keyless Entry

As I am putting down the features I feel that 1 Lac premium over the ZDi for the + option is well worth it. Though I feel its PITA to use a touchscreen in a moving car and honestly apart from the Armrest and Reverse Parking Camera I am not going to miss much from the car but If I had that extra lac and the patience I would definitely get the ZDi+ over the ZDi.

Also glad to read that my preferred Red/Black combo is the Teams preferred combo as well :D

The one we've all been waiting for! Thanks to both of you guys for yet another excellent review, 5 stars all the way. The car seems to be a hit and a big one too for Maruti. I've already started seeing many of these on road and Oh Boy! the dual tone red version does look hot. For me, the only thing that stops me from sealing the deal as of right now is the 90hp diesel motor. Coming from a petrol swift, I would like something even better in terms of power, say north of 100hp since my driving involves a lot of highways. Can't wait for the boosterjet and I really hoped Maruti would make sure the boosterjet is timed well with the brezza. A sub 10lac 110PS turbo petrol with such good looks and Maruti's after sales is just too hard to let go. :D

Every team-bhp review is a benchmark unto itself, this one is no different. Great work Tushar!

I test drove the Baleno, S-Cross and Vitara Brezza all within 2 days. The least mark obviously goes to the Baleno, which was once by dream car for replacing my Alto K10, but not anymore. What looked like a dream became a nightmare the moment I started driving it. The build quality was unbelievably tinny for such a huge looking car(huge in its segment).

The Vitara Brezza on the other hand is definitely a very practical car. The Brezza offers the same excellent practicality of Ertiga in an SUV avatar and with more equipment. This one was born to be a hit. However, I only wish some basic necessities like a rear wiper were offered on all variants. The moment Maruti chose not to sell this in Nexa they went back to their old ways of not offering rear wiper, and even rear power windows on lower variants.

For me, S-Cross is a clearly superior car among the three. It has a decidedly superior build that you can feel while driving. Even the base variant is equipped with ABS, EBD, All wheel disc brakes and dual airbags!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tushar (Post 3949369)
A lot of models and updates from rivals later, Maruti Suzuki has finally launched its first contender for the sub-4 meter SUV segment; though late to the game, this is a nightmare come true for its competitors.

That sums up the current scenario very well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 3949557)
The Brezza doesn't have good interiors. The Creta does.

But how much premium Hyundai charges for that! IMO, if I say in the recent trend of comparing cars (:)), Brezza is 90% of Creta at 70% of its cost.

Quote:

The Nexa strategy is not confused if you start looking at the minor details of the review.

Through Nexa, Maruti tried to go "premium" by establishing a different look and feel and branding. There is not much differentiation in terms of the products it offers. When Ignis come to Nexa later this year, we will feel this "same wine, different bottle" more.

IMO, Nexa will be used by Suzuki if they have to brand their cars without the "Maruti" badge at a later stage, when the Gujrat plant comes alive. Even though Suzuki says that they will sell the cars to Maruti to market through Maruti dealership network, at a later stage, if any resistance comes, NEXA will be made use by Suzuki to establish their own sales channel, IMO.

I think LDI(O) is the best value add upgrade considering 2.5+L difference with the top end variant. Looks like a good upgrade from Figo (D, Titanium).

Quote:

That's not lack of power, that's turbo-lag (as explained by other BHPians in reply to your post).

The thing is that, what this engine can climb in third gear at rpms in turbo range can be struggle to do in 1st gear at low rpm. Need to learn how to master it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ysak (Post 3949940)
i guess only the ICE in VDi part is missed in the detailing. clap:

I'll cover that in my ownership thread of ZDi variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetorque (Post 3949946)
I felt bit strange that Brezza was compared against Duster, which is in fact belong to a segment Creta lies. It is true that 84HP version of Duster crosses the price range of Brezza, but is it enough to compare? Duster 84HP shall be a fair comparison against Creta 1.4 IMO.

I'd pick Brezza over Duster anyday. Even more so with the 85ps variant. New duster's interiors with multiple colours used looks awful. They should have made it all black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Switch (Post 3949985)

Coming back to the vehicle itself, I just came back from my much anticipated test drive and after driving a CRDi i20 and a DDIS Swift the first thing I felt as soon as the car started moving was this engine is refined. The car felt really light to drive. I could feel the turbo lag and unfortunately didn't find empty roads to stretch its legs but I will go with my previous experience of DDIS and your words about the surge which we get after 2000 rpm.

I casually asked my SE that what if I wanted to swap my booking from Zdi to Zdi+ and he said I should be looking at a 18 week waiting.

Things which we don't get in ZDi are:

Though I feel its PITA to use a touchscreen in a moving car and honestly apart from the Armrest and Reverse Parking Camera I am not going to miss much from the car but If I had that extra lac and the patience I would definitely get the ZDi+ over the ZDi.

Also glad to read that my preferred Red/Black combo is the Teams preferred combo as well :D

I don't think the turbo lag is less in 75ps variant. This turbo is bigger but its also a VGT, that should in theory help reduce turbo lag due decreasing input area and increasing pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satz581993Mille (Post 3950014)
For me, the only thing that stops me from sealing the deal as of right now is the 90hp diesel motor. Coming from a petrol swift, I would like something even better in terms of power, say north of 100hp since my driving involves a lot of highways. Can't wait for the boosterjet and I really hoped Maruti would make sure the boosterjet is timed well with the brezza. A sub 10lac 110PS turbo petrol with such good looks and Maruti's after sales is just too hard to let go. :D

This engine is very good for highway trips too. Ask bhpians who already own a car with this engine. The Boosterjet might not even come on this vehicle. I believe its going to get delayed for next year when the powertrain manufacturing facility will be ready to produce boosterjet in india.

Quote:

Originally Posted by veyron_head (Post 3950020)
I test drove the Baleno, S-Cross and Vitara Brezza all within 2 days.

The Vitara Brezza on the other hand is definitely a very practical car. The Brezza offers the same excellent practicality of Ertiga in an SUV avatar and with more equipment.

For me, S-Cross is a clearly superior car among the three. It has a decidedly superior build that you can feel while driving. Even the base variant is equipped with ABS, EBD, All wheel disc brakes and dual airbags!

There are issues with the S-Cross too regarding the steering reliability. I worried it might get lifted off the market by maruti eventually. A bigger Vitara will wipe it out.

Quote:

I respectfully disagree to one point about Nexa outlets in the review though: The Nexa strategy is not confused if you start looking at the minor details of the review.
The absence of Bi-xenon lamps, leather wrapped steering wheels, auto dimming IRVM or all four disc brakes or the mention of premium feel in Baleno compared to Vitara Brezza all point to one thing: Cars sold through Nexa outlets are a little premium compared to normal ones, Nexa outlets are for those discerning customers who want cars which have these small niceties that are otherwise not present in normal 'Maruti' cars.

Not really! Nexa is as confusing as possible, they do not have a clean strategy yet! The sigma variant of baleno does not have a tachometer! :Frustrati The front grill is hideous when compared to the rest of the variants. The only thing premium about Nexa is the way they have made their showrooms and the suited up staff. Which, again who are a nightmare to deal with. I feel the brezza's variants went a little haywire due to the Nexa initiative, the zdi variants should have had a few more features which are good to have, however they have gone for excessive cost cutting here!

Another absolutely wonderfully crafted review by the team and that too of one of the most awaited cars of the year. Giving a well deserved 5 star to the thread. I think its a wonderful product from the Maruti-Suzuki stable and it surely will be a huge success with the masses.

I've seen quite a number of Suzuki Vitara here in London and going by the size, it itself seems like a rather compact SUV i.e. even smaller than the Creta and Duster. I'm really skeptical how the Brezza looks with its under 4 meter body hangings. But given the fact Maruti had to undercut that length, they have done a wonderful job with the overall design.

Interiors are a huge let down for me specially that same old boring steering wheel which has been there for over a decade now. I remember how the flat bottom steering wheel introduced by VW in the Polo/Vento enhanced the looks of an already good looking dash by many folds. Wished Maruti could have paid more attention to the interiors department as well to make this car look a tad bit premium from its half priced siblings. I know the masses don't bother much about these fine details but someone who likes spending much of their leisure time in their machines behind the wheel, would certainly agree to have had something better to hold. And the same old previous gen Swift's power windows switches on the doors look so out of place in a 2016 car.

Boot-space too seems a bit of a downer, but I guess Ecosport is no better there either. For that matter, I prefer to take our old Ford Fiesta Classic against the new Hyundai Creta for the airport runs(sometimes even Chandigarh to New Delhi airport and back) as it has a better usable boot space and no one in my family likes to travel light which I guess is the case with most of us Indians. There is no denying the fact that there is a huge craze to be driving around in a SUV/compact SUV these days, but if i were a buyer in this segment, I would chose a mid sized sedan over these cars anyday. Yes unless you drive on a daily basis in places where roads absolutely don't exist, then the added ground clearance should be a no brainer.

Quote:

Variant to variant and size-wise, the Creta is positioned much higher. It's like comparing the Dzire to the Verna.

I agree there are differences, was intrigued when comparisons to the Duster was made though.

Fantastic review!! Great attention to details. Great work Tushar! Rated with 5-stars.

I did not find the review of the Audio HU of lower variants. Please add few pictures as well.

For me, I liked the SUVish looks of V. Brezza than the EcoSport.