Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-14.html)

Finally got delivery of my model year 2018 Superb 1.8TSI MT Style from Vinayak Skoda yesterday evening. Drove 150+km in bangalore and outskirts, and it put a big smile on my face :-) As it rained heavily, while I drove 35km from showroom to home, the car got dirty immediately, so couldn't do some better photographs, than in the evening at the dealer -couple of photos attached.

It seems Skoda has reverted to 2 remote keys for Superb from the 3 they gave for model year 2017. Other than that, yet to find anything missing. My car also came with 2 SD card slots, one for navigation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4274985)
Finally got delivery of my model year 2018 Superb 1.8TSI MT Style from Vinayak Skoda yesterday evening.

Congratulations! This is the last of luxury petrol cars that you still get in the manual variant. I had almost finalized on the Superb until I heard about the impending VRS launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maibaa (Post 4275004)
Congratulations! This is the last of luxury petrol cars that you still get in the manual variant. I had almost finalized on the Superb until I heard about the impending VRS launch.

Thanks Maibaa. Well I thought also about getting the vRS but there were too many compromises from my perspective when I thought hard about which one:
* No TD of vRS available - buying without TD is against my philosophy
* Race blue or red color not available
* harsh ride due to low profile 17" tyres of sporty make - senior citizens when riding in the back won't be comfortable, octavia rear setback is a tad too upright as well.
* Chance of rim or tyre damage in bangalore 's potholes and craters, and a narrow Stepney tyre.
* No corporate or any other discount
* No MT though 6DSG is way more reliable
* Unproven 2.0TSI engine under Indian conditions and effects of RON91 fuel mid to long term
* A.S.S. Capabilities to diagnose and troubleshoot issues with the car which is low volume and more complex/extreme - remembered ajmat's thread on his vRS mk 1!

So, my decision to go with the Superb which is a class act and combines power, grace, comfort and features in an unique combo.

I do understand when others choose the vRS though - matter of heart :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4275369)
* No TD of vRS available - buying without TD is against my philosophy

Did you get to test drive the manual TSI Superb? Most test drive or display cars were either the Diesel or the automatic L&K Petrol when I was considering the Superb petrol.

Quote:

So, my decision to go with the Superb which is a class act and combines power, grace, comfort and features in an unique combo.

You have made a conservative and a wise choice. :thumbs up

Quote:

I do understand when others choose the vRS though - matter of heart :-)

In the battle of Head v/s Heart, mostly its the Heart that triumphs especially when its comes to the VRS :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maibaa (Post 4275371)
Did you get to test drive the manual TSI Superb? Most test drive or display cars were either the Diesel or the automatic L&K Petrol when I was considering the Superb petrol.

I could TD only the 7dsg petrol variant but it did allow me to experience the handling, suspension, ride comfort, how the car handles potholes and giant speed breakers etc

Quote:

You have made a conservative and a wise choice. :thumbs up
Thanks. I always coveted the Superb, so for me heart was as much for the Superb as for the vRS. Also, the looks of the Superb overshadow the Octavia body style when looked together :-)

Quote:

In the battle of Head v/s Heart, mostly its the Heart that triumphs especially when its comes to the VRS :)
Different strokes for different folks. I am enjoying the MT in about 180km I have driven, and no DSG or anything else is as fulfilling ( having driven 7dsg and 6dsg a fair bit) for me.
Btw, vrs is 1.2lakhs more expensive post cess hike, which makes the 1.8TSI MT Superb a great deal as its price seems not bumped up:-) Just in case, you're on the fence..

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4275373)
Btw, vrs is 1.2lakhs more expensive post cess hike, which makes the 1.8TSI MT Superb a great deal as its price seems not bumped up:-) Just in case, you're on the fence..

Seems Skoda has fixed their goof-up and also increase the ex-showroom for the Superb due to GST-cess increase. So, no relative gain there.

Had an opportunity to ride a hotel owned L&K Superb, their fleet of cars have run nearly 1lac kms without any major fault. Vehicle had become slightly noisy from the outside but no rattles or squeaks to write about on the inside.

Re-looking at the Superb's attention to detail, I noticed the bonnet-line juxtaposed with the side character line! never noticed in any car save for the uber exclusive super-cars.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-superb.jpg

Less prominent in pictures, but once you see the taught shut line of the bonnet, You realize how painstakingly engineered, the car must be!

Skoda's renewed efforts on improving service satisfaction can help in loads, to find more homes for the brilliant cars (minus the component failures) they offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDelight (Post 4119499)
Finally I got delivery of the TSI 1.8 DSG L&K
I have taken a 7 speed DSG risk :)
Few updates in so called MY17 car.
The infotainment system is 8 inch with navigation. Probably amundsen.

Does your car have a WLAN option in the "System Settings" on the Amundsen HU ? In my Style, there is no such option though the manual shows this is possible in Amundsen ..

Quote:

There are no storages underneath front seats.
L&K has electric front passenger seat, hence no storage compartment. Style has manual adjustment for front passenger seat, and does have the underneath storage compartment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the mole (Post 4231779)
Just took delivery of the new superb petrol L& K version and I must say that I am mighty impressed with the features

Same query on the WLAN option on the Amundsen HU

So, I have driven about 600km since taking delivery including 200km on nh4 towards kolar. Trying to follow run-in process - Skoda says not to exceed 75% of rev range. Briskoda forums advise to vary speed and take it upto 4500 rpm at times.
Car is very silent, and power/torque from engine is great above 1500 rpm. The Apollo Aspire 4G tyres also seem very silent and pliant, need to drive a couple of thousand km to comment further. Handling is very good, 1.8 TSI brings a smile every time I drive. MT gearbox is very well mated to the engine, and I found gear action precise (if not as butter smooth as in the Lancer) and clutch not too heavy.

Ride is very comfortable (more pliant than superb gen2) but there is also a bit of vertical motion on undulating roads.

FE for highways in this run-in mode (and with not much traffic) with limited speeds is 13.5kmpl from the MFD, yet to tank up again.

Had got CQ-Finest ceramic coat done a week plus before at Ultimate Detailerz, Mohsin and his guys did a thorough and high quality job. Will post more on that thread, but here is a photo from my phone of my gleaming beauty.
Skoda Superb : Official Review-car.jpg

Still haven't got the mandatory accessories kit from the dealer despite regular follow-up over 3 weeks. I am told Skoda has not despatched the kits :-(
Finally, no feedback yet on whether WLAN menu options exist on L&K variant in the Amundsen HU ? Manual shows it is capable, but I don't see any options in my Style trim car ...

I am considering a preworshipped B8 superb as my next car. Not many have come on sale in the used car market. A white 1.8 TSI MT is on sale on some used car portals for 19. Is it worth taking the risk considering no long term ownership reviews are available. Should i wait for sometime or wait till the facelifted superb is launched?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL (Post 4286797)
I am considering a preworshipped B8 superb as my next car. Not many have come on sale in the used car market. A white 1.8 TSI MT is on sale on some used car portals for 19. Is it worth taking the risk considering no long term ownership reviews are available. Should i wait for sometime or wait till the facelifted superb is launched?

Well, the new Superb was launched internationally in Feb 2015, and in India last year. So, long term reports for India will be tough to find, you can read on briskoda forums good and bad experiences abroad.

Current OTR of Style 1.8TSI MT (before discounts if any) is 32+ lakhs in BLR. MT gearbox is reliable, no DSG issues there. The older models would miss a few features but not so big a deal I guess. Depends on the car is Model Year 2017 or before (wrt Music system and screen size etc) Rest you have to check the state of car, its history etc, and make your assessment ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4274985)
It seems Skoda has reverted to 2 remote keys for Superb from the 3 they gave for model year 2017. Other than that, yet to find anything missing.

Seems Driver Personalization feature is removed in MY 2018 cars, as the 3 keys were to associate with 3 memory positions and 3 user profiles. As per manual, Personalization is only supported in cars with 3 keys. I had sent a query to Skoda customer care, they responded promptly but redirecting to dealer :-(

Maybe someone with MY 2018 l&k trim can confirm of its absent on that trim also?

Still no update on the mandatory accessories kit - have written to Skoda but no timeline from them. Frustrating to drive the car without front mud flaps and getting all kind of muck on the paint in rains here.

Filled up tank again at 832km on ODO with 68.6l (auto-cutoff). Had filled 70.5l when ODO was at 60km.
FE with mixed highway and city driving is 11km/l by tankful method, MID was showing similar figures, so seems MID calculation is pretty accurate... Need to check over another interval or two.

Still no word on accessories kit! Wonder if other bhpians who may have bought a Superb recently have got their's ?

Finally got the Superb Accessories kit and got the front mud flaps and bumper protector sheet installed today ! The accessories kit for Superb contains:
* Contoured front and rear rubber footwell mats
* Rubber rear centre tunnel mat
* Front Mud flaps
* Front door pocket trash bin
* Rear bumper loading protector sheet
* 2 Skoda pillows
* Tablet/phone holder in rear centre armrest or behind fron seat headrest
* Coat hanger
* 1 MicroUSB cable
* 1 MiniUSB cable
* 1 Lightning cable for iphone

I also got the Skoda Navigation SD card with maps (World without Europe) - its same across all Skoda cars in India.

A few snaps from my phone, so please excuse the poor qualitySkoda Superb : Official Review-dsc_0598.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4290221)
Seems Driver Personalization feature is removed in MY 2018 cars, as the 3 keys were to associate with 3 memory positions and 3 user profiles.

Is the Driver personalization option removed? Can you please reconfirm?