Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-17.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL (Post 4398674)
Test drove the L&K TSI variant. I felt some kind of lag between me pressing the accelerator pedal and the vehicle taking off. I guess thats why most people feel the new skoda twins dont feel as fun to drive as the previous generations. Checked on briskoda forums where some owners recommended pedal tuning boxes to overcome this lag.

I guess the lag is more pronounced in DSG transmission than MT. The pedal box makes throttle more aggressive in the initial part of curve, by changing those signals to ECU, but given our stop-go city traffic, it may also have downsides - probably, need to run "stock-like" in crawling traffic ...

In my 1.8TSI MT, I didn't feel as much lag, unless RPM is below 1400 or so. I haven't done more spirited highway drives much, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4399443)
I guess the lag is more pronounced in DSG transmission than MT. The pedal box makes throttle more aggressive in the initial part of curve, by changing those signals to ECU, but given our stop-go city traffic, it may also have downsides - probably, need to run "stock-like" in crawling traffic ...

In my 1.8TSI MT, I didn't feel as much lag, unless RPM is below 1400 or so. I haven't done more spirited highway drives much, though.

Haha, from the official review itself!

So, what's the petrol MT like? First, the numbers – 178 BHP between 4,000 - 6,200 rpm which is a wider band than the petrol AT. Max torque is much higher too, rated at a diesel-like 320 Nm between 1,450 and 3,900 rpm! The ARAI rating is a little lower @ 14.12 km/l. If you thought the petrol AT was punchy, wait till you drive the MT!

Push the clutch pedal in and press the engine start / stop button to fire her up. Must mention again: the petrol isn't dead silent; it's faintly audible inside the cabin. You need to be careful with your throttle & clutch co-ordination. The MT is easy to stall if you aren't paying attention and it does take some getting used to. Drive the petrol AT & MT back to back and you'll immediately notice that the MT feels a little more eager, lighter and responsive. This is due to the 70 Nm of additional torque available, with partial credit going to the 46 kg lower kerb weight too. I'm not sure if enthusiasts will line up for this car owing to its long wheelbase, but those who do will definitely have a smile plastered on their faces each time they floor the throttle. The Superb accelerates brilliantly...in a way that no luxury barge should have the right to! There's something special about a free-revving engine mated to a manual transmission and, make no mistake, this is among the best petrol engines on sale in India. No matter what speed or rpm, there's always power available on tap. Power delivery is brutal and she pulls relentlessly all the way to the redline. Even with a light foot, the Superb will reach high speeds before making you realise it. With a medium to heavy foot, you'll notice the traction control light flashing a little too often as the 215 Hankooks struggle to put the power down. The clutch is on the heavier side for a luxury car (not too heavy, but not a light pedal either). Owners will definitely wish it was lighter. The 6-speed MT's gates are well defined and you'll never miss a shift. It isn't as slick as a Honda Accord's though; this gearshift has a notchy characteristic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4399443)

I also drove the diesel L&K. It felt more responsive. I guess its due to the higher torque rating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL (Post 4399713)
I also drove the diesel L&K. It felt more responsive. I guess its due to the higher torque rating.

Yes diesel dsg maybe better but there's plenty of folks on briskoda with 190dsg TDI who complain of throttle lag still.
Problem I see is that these pedal boxes are as expensive as ecu boxes or remap whereas they do something way simpler. And pedal tuning boxes don't change bhp or torque in the car, simply how ecu responds to pedal movement.
You can check out DTE and Racechip - both German tuners with pedal boxes.

Purchased a Superb L&K diesel (MY18) late last year. I received one of the first MY18 kits in Cochin, or so I’m told. I shall post a detailed report soon, and will discuss the Sales and ASS experience, too.

Speaking of which, was anyone amongst us invited to bring their car in for a headlight update recently? Apparently, there was a problem with the auto-leveling feature, which frankly I never faced, and the update was supposed to rectify that. That said, I do really wish the headlamps offered better throw and illumination. After having used my family’s E250’s LED system, this one’s being disappointing, so far.

I am on the verge of buying a used superb. After driving both the petrol and the diesel variants I am extremely confused between them as both are equally good. Is there any difference between the maintenance of both the variants. Also any reports of the 7 speed dsg failure on the new superb?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL (Post 4404171)
I am on the verge of buying a used superb. After driving both the petrol and the diesel variants I am extremely confused between them as both are equally good. Is there any difference between the maintenance of both the variants. Also any reports of the 7 speed dsg failure on the new superb?

There is one used skoda superb L&K petrol variant, 8000 kms 2017 model available in Bangalore. Let me know if you're interested

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren_kk (Post 4404346)
There is one used skoda superb L&K petrol variant, 8000 kms 2017 model available in Bangalore. Let me know if you're interested

Was looking for MH registered car only as i will have to reregister out of state car to transfer on my name. Will have to shell out additional 3 to 4 lacs for that.

New powertrain testing for 2019 Superb

Skoda Superb Facelift Spied Testing in the Alps, Might Get New Engines
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/s...n_news_static#

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren_kk (Post 4399353)
Yes, I got around 2.2 lakhs discount on ex-showroom price.

Wow, great deal! Congrats on your new Superb. I wanted the brown color as well, but only white was available at factory before cess hike, and I settled for it as it was my 2nd preference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naren_kk (Post 4404346)

Interesting! What % less than OTR, is this likely to be at?

I had to make a trip to the airport yesterday morning, and the light Sunday morning traffic was a good setting to test the practicality of the coasting feature in Eco driving setup. For those not in the know, Cochin city to the airport is roughly 30 kms via the Edapally route, and about 36 kms via the Container road route. I took the former route for the onward journey, and the latter for the return trip home. I’m happy to report great mileage after driving for over an hour at a fairly consistent speeds of about 60 to 65 kmph, with the AC on auto mode at 18 degrees throughout the drive (and yes, I did leave the engine idling while waiting at the airport for about 10 min):
Skoda Superb : Official Review-0fc83af3a14f400a9ff82106ac055172.jpeg

My car’s done nearly 11,000 kms since it was added to my garage late October last year. I intend to do a full fledged ownership report immediately after my first service at 15k kms mark.
Skoda Superb : Official Review-5b538ee1655c46b4a79b8de86cf7674a.jpeg

I think it’s relevant to note that I had checked my tyre pressure levels the previous evening ( I set it at 34 psi for all four tyres, since the company suggested 36 psi makes the ride a little more bumpy, and especially pitchy at the rear) and although I am not an aggressive driver, I make no attempt to baby my car. Heck, I have even managed to heavily scrape the underbody protection plate once (thankfully, no damage either to the suspension or the chassis or to any other part of the vehicle...yet). So yeah, it was refreshing to drive in a sedate manner, while remaining gleefully ignorant to the growing traffic around me on a Sunday morning.

Edit: Before you notice the low fuel warning, I must point out that I always refuel from a company operated fuel station, if I can help it. However, the last time I had to refuel, I was in the midst of an emergency, and I refused for a few hundred rupees at a dealer operated fuel station, and although it’s a reputed station, I wasn’t happy that I didn’t find a company outlet, as I always do. It’s a placebo effect: I am aware that even company outlets have had their share of low quality fuel being sold, but to be honest, my mind won’t be at peace otherwise.stupid:

Yesterday, I had a dead battery on 18 month old petrol Superb DSG L&K :Frustrati
It just happened, no prior issues.
Battery did not charge even after jump start and running vehicle for 30min.
Service center confirmed dead battery with battery tester. It had 12 month warranty, no replacement.
I bought a new exide battery MLDIN60 from exide dealer. Performed steering left- right procedure. Everything back to normal.

Now I noticed two issues. The car doesnt creep after releasing break. I have to press accelerator to move it. Second issue is the one touch power window operation does not work anymore.

Is there any additional coding procedure?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselDelight (Post 4432718)
Second issue is the one touch power window operation does not work anymore.

From the driver side window controller, press each button up-down thrice so the windows roll down and up completely. Do this for each window and the auto up-down function would resume.

Happens for all VAG cars when the battery is disconnected.

The creeper mode was not working because somehow it defaulted to auto hold.
I need to check on power windows though.