Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-19.html)

A question for the diesel AT users. Does the DQ250 gearbox have failures too? Isn't it the wet-clutch type?

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 4464204)
A question for the diesel AT users. Does the DQ250 gearbox have failures too? Isn't it the wet-clutch type?

It’s a wet clutch. Same as on the diesel Octavia/Jetta. Pretty sturdy gearbox. Superb owners can comment better but from the reviews, it seems quite a bit more reliable than the DQ200.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discoverwild (Post 4464204)

On my second car with the same gearbox. Had the Laura earlier and now the Octavia. Laura is running a ToT map as well. A total of 160,000 km done between both the cars. Absolutely zero issues.

My Superb is due for its first scheduled service early next week, and I have covered roughly 12400 kms in my first year of ownership. The last couple of days, I have been experiencing a moderate shudder at the time of ignition. No such shudder while turning off, though. Could this be due to lower engine oil levels, or could it be something I hadn’t noticed all this while? Or worse, would this have anything to do with the gearbox at all? I rarely use the auto hold function, and always shift with hand brakes while waiting for the signals. Is this even a problem or am I reading too much into a diesel car’s mechanism?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk1234 (Post 4465530)
My Superb is due for its first scheduled service early next week, and I have covered roughly 12400 kms in my first year of ownership. The last couple of days, I have been experiencing a moderate shudder at the time of ignition. No such shudder while turning off, though. Could this be due to lower engine oil levels, or could it be something I hadn’t noticed all this while? Or worse, would this have anything to do with the gearbox at all?

The shudder at the time of ignition may be because one of the injectors starts working little late (by few revolutions of the engine, a fraction of second). During this time, only 3 out 4 cylinders will be firing, causing imbalance and therefore the judder. You can ask the ASS to check.

Low oil level or gearbox problem does not seem to be the cause. Actually, the oil level is not expected to fall below the minimum in 1 year old car in just 12000 km.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk1234 (Post 4465530)
My Superb is due for its first scheduled service early next week, and I have covered roughly 12400 kms in my first year of ownership. The last couple of days, I have been experiencing a moderate shudder at the time of ignition. No such shudder while turning off, though. Could this be due to lower engine oil levels, or could it be something I hadn’t noticed all this while? Or worse, would this have anything to do with the gearbox at all? I rarely use the auto hold function, and always shift with hand brakes while waiting for the signals. Is this even a problem or am I reading too much into a diesel car’s mechanism?

It might be something to do with the engine mounts or the flywheel. I suggest you get both checked at the service centre.

Shudders don't typically occur due to oil levels. They shouldn't be felt at the time of startup is what I believe. (Being a 2.0 TDI owner myself)

I enquired about the availability of the Superb Style MT variant and was informed that it is not available in Black, only White. This was very surprising as one of the cars used in the official Team-Bhp review is a Black MT.

I asked another dealer and while he confirmed that it is not available in Black he added another color (brown) to the mix.

I suspect if i ask enough dealers, eventually someone will say black is indeed available. :-)
Can anyone who has recently been in the market share some insights please ?

In other news, one of the above dealers mentioned that the Sportline variant will be AT only and again, won’t have a black color option.

Yeh, black is only available on the top of the line L&K variant! My friend recently bought a dark brown Style TDI which closely resembles black.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMandarin (Post 4470038)
I enquired about the availability of the Superb Style MT variant and was informed that it is not available in Black, only White. This was very surprising as one of the cars used in the official Team-Bhp review is a Black MT.

I asked another dealer and while he confirmed that it is not available in Black he added another color (brown) to the mix.

I suspect if i ask enough dealers, eventually someone will say black is indeed available. :-)

In other news, one of the above dealers mentioned that the Sportline variant will be AT only and again, won’t have a black color option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMandarin (Post 4470038)

I had checked out a black superb MT which was on sale sometime back. Recently the white MTs are been sold as corporate edition by the Mumbai skoda dealer. I guess MTs in white are slow selling hence the push by dealers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKRiVAL (Post 4470718)
I had checked out a black superb MT which was on sale sometime back. Recently the white MTs are been sold as corporate edition by the Mumbai skoda dealer. I guess MTs in white are slow selling hence the push by dealers.

Not really the case. Both Superb and Octavia sell a good number of candy white cars. In fact, these cars look very good in the white color - like Audi cars do in white.
A couple of reasons why the factory may build more of white color is
a) Indians like white color, and atleast, its a neutral choice across buyers
b) Candy white is the cheapest to manufacture - if you look at Skoda UK website, only the VAG blue color is cheaper option in the car configurator. So factory makes more margin! Probably, the main reason!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancer_rit (Post 4471549)
Not really the case. Both Superb and Octavia sell a good number of candy white cars. In fact, these cars look very good in the white color - like Audi cars do in white.

Agree, Octavia & Superb looks stunning in white with those dark accents and headlights.
@lancer_rit, you should post more pictures :D

On a side note, wish Skoda provided some information on the Superb Sportline! Typical of them to put a placeholder and leave it for so long.

Quick question for the L&K TDI owners, what Tyre Pressure are you maintaining in city? This is for the 17” stock tyres - 215/55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahir (Post 4477701)
Quick question for the L&K TDI owners, what Tyre Pressure are you maintaining in city? This is for the 17” stock tyres - 215/55

Skoda recommends 36 psi for light to medium carriage, and 40 psi in case of full load of passengers and cargo. 36 psi was too much for me, and it wasn’t a comfortable ride, so I maintain 34 psi all tires. Someone I know suggested I maintain 33 psi, but I wasn’t sure if I should do that, what with the recommended psi being 36.

With full luggage and 4 passengers, I topped it up to 36 psi, and it was a sturdy ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gk1234 (Post 4477715)
Skoda recommends 36 psi for light to medium carriage, and 40 psi in case of full load of passengers and cargo. 36 psi was too much for me, and it wasn’t a comfortable ride, so I maintain 34 psi all tires. Someone I know suggested I maintain 33 psi, but I wasn’t sure if I should do that, what with the recommended psi being 36.

With full luggage and 4 passengers, I topped it up to 36 psi, and it was a sturdy ride.

Thanks for the information. I too found the psi pretty high, hence the question. Appreciate it.

Are you running the stock tyres?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zahir (Post 4477849)
Thanks for the information. I too found the psi pretty high, hence the question. Appreciate it.

Are you running the stock tyres?

Yep. Apollo Aspire 4G 215/55 R17 94W. My spare wheel is a space saver, 205/55 R16 91V.
The Apollos are okay. They offer decent grip, but squeal like anything if you try to launch the car from idle. I’m told they are better than the Hankook Ventus Prime, and each car could be assigned either of the two brands.