Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-2.html)

What a car! Skoda has spent quality time to design this one and it shows. The attention to detail is mindblowing.

Is this one having the biggest boot of all the sedans in our country at present? I think so.

And a lot of interesting and useful stuff. The best bit is, we can get all those highly useful bag hooks, Tablet holder, waste bin, packing plates etc. for any car. LOL

Good show Skoda! Now, get this stunning Diesel engine for the Octy too. A Zeal edition with the engine in this spec will take the cake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3958549)
What a stupid location for the engine start button! They obviously filled up the ignition keyhole area on the side of the steering column!

I quite like it this way and wish the Fiesta had the same setup.

When the start stop button is in the keyhole area, you can request ACC and then ignition with your right hand and buckle up using your left. I normally give it a second or two between ACC and ignition for all warning lights to do their job. When the start stop button is here, all movements in the car are a bit more seamless. And when the car is idling, both your hands are free to sort your mobile, shade and wallet. Very trivial but it helps in the long run. :)

And one can also request ACC (to roll down/up a window) and even stop the engine from outside (after idling) with your dignity intact when the button is in this position. Besides, the button is subtle in this position and has it own charm. You don't have to let everyone in the car know there is a start stop button. LOL

Thanks for the fantastic review my friends. The line "The smooth, fast & unreliable DSG" made me laugh out loud for quite some time. This is one car that seriously impresses. All the cars in the segment, including the Camry is going to have a pretty hard time ahead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 3958600)
Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Official Reviews. Thanks for sharing, S2!!!

Quite a review of quite the car. Rating thread 5 stars :thumbs up.

There's never been a better time to have 30 lakhs in your pocket. First the Ford Endeavour, then this Superb. Both these products are the segment best, well-priced for what they offer, loaded with kit and offer great engines. The two have awesome, timeless styling too. It's really nice to see cars like these coming into the market. If Skoda had taken better care of its reputation, reliability & dealerships, they'd have won a lottery with the Superb.

Fantastic review, rated 5 Star as well :thumbs up

I don't have 30 plus lakhs of disposable income at the moment, but after reading the Superb review and your comments above, I am already dreaming and also confused on which car to own stupid:

Just imagine if this was launched by Honda, it would have had the sales chart on fire and would have given sleepless nights to the big three Germans

A superb review of the Superb! 5 stars!

If it was the 1Kg=8 lakh Rupees of 1,000 denomination in the Brezza review, it is the details of the boot opening in this one that awed me. Probably owners will find it hard to remember these options in the boot :)

Coming to the car itself, the styling is the best part. Its so understated and classy. Be it the sharp lines and the absence of too much chrome on the outside or the green,blue and orange coloured lights on the interiors, its just classy and elegant.

However so many dummy buttons everywhere and one even on the steering wheel (which might be a first) could have been avoided by Skoda.

I just hope Skoda improve on their scary sales and service network or else, people won't buy their cars. Anyway, I wish Skoda all the luck with this superb Superb!

PS:
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3958553)
• Engage reverse gear and the left ORVM will tilt down (to show you the curb).

It is Kerb and not Curb. Mods, please correct it.

Excellent review S2. Rated 5 stars.
From the armrest design, it looks as if it is non-adjustable for length. Is it really that way? I guess not many people will use it then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 3958850)

PS:

It is Kerb and not Curb. Mods, please correct it.

There's no need for any correction as curb is sort of a footpath and not weight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doge (Post 3958865)
There's no need for any correction as curb is sort of a footpath and not weight.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-kerb.jpg

Kerb is pavement and Kerb-weight is vehicle weight with coolant, lubricants and fuel without people and cargo. English is a funny language :)

Excellent review, sighted this car yesterday in Black and it just looked majestic! It seemed to bounce excessively over a speed-breaker though, not sure if the driver took the bump too quickly or is vertical movement quite pronounced?

Am conflicted between recommending this excellent package to people, given Skoda's after-sales woes in India and the reliability of the DSG.

The review is really awesome to the point that I got exhausted half way down. I couldn't take this much detail in one go. Now I think I should abandon my idea of an ownership thread. Coming to the car, barring the name and the experience till date form after sales and the DSG, can't find anything much to complain.But then those two are really scary enough. Why are they still sticking with this troublesome DSG, why can't they try the ZF transmission in BMW? It's very good as inferred from many ownership reviews including GTO's. A sad state for such a brilliant car. 5 years down the lane one can hope to find a used Superb for ₹ 15 lakhs, a good lateral upgrade. Octavia looks so plane jane now, it needs a facelift and the difference between the two ain't that big.

Excellent review of an excellent car. :thumbs up As always, a Team-bhp review grabs my top most attention in office - that too on a Monday morning this time!
Coming to the new gen Superb - if we ignore the DSG reliability issues for a moment, I believe finding a deal breaker in the new Superb is almost impossible. Skoda has further improved an already well loaded and competent car.

Wonderful review!! This is how a car should be, striking in a world of odd ball designs and looks equally purposeful. Umbrellas in every door, tow alarm, interior motion detection! wow!! Sheer brilliance I must of Skoda engineers and designers to come up with such thoughtful stuff in a car that costs just right when compared to other players in its segment.

I wonder how only Skoda pulls off one such a neat looking notch back design! I mean it looks so very well integrated and I do not think there is any other manufacturer in the world offering one such a set up (correct me if I am wrong). Why can't our compact sedans have this design?? Does this design make things more complicated?

How many man hours are spent for an review like this? From the time actually spent with the car, photography, taking rough notes, then penning them down up until publishing!

The "Other points" and "Small yet significant things" sections are something I find interesting and unique.

Great job.

Superb review as always. This is the kind of car that is made for Team BHP official reviews. :D

I really hope Skoda works out its after sales service. They somehow seem to have some great cars on offer and yet after, what, 15 years? in the Indian market they are sitting at the bottom of the sales charts.

Former Superb owners will surely hesitate to stay with the brand given the problems they've had with the DSGs. I recently heard from a family friend that a Superb owner in his circle had 3 mechatronic units replaced under goodwill warranty from Skoda and now its failed for the fourth time! I hope something has been done on that front. Also they need to improve their inventory and logistic management. Too many cars sit in their service centres for silly reasons. Its not uncommon to see customer and service staffs sparring and arguing every time you visit the service centres for a service. The scene out there does not inspire confidence.

But all said and done, as a product and value proposition, the Superb is unbeatable. The new Octavia and this Superb have catpulted Skoda's image worldwide no end. People are made to question their wisdom in paying nearly 2X the money for cars the like the A6 and E class. Is the badge worth another Superb??

Despite all its problems in India I still believe Skoda has a winner on its hands. Lots of people now have experienced Euro car luxury and Euro car tantrums that go with it. At least with the Superb, the luxury comes cheap, relatively speaking. Just hope it does not throw too many tantrums. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3958549)

Active neck restraints are a part of standard equipment. These actually move forward in a crash to minimise neck injury:

What does this button on the headrest do? Noticed the same in the UK version of the Jazz too; is that the headrest height adjuster?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fash_1 (Post 3959178)
What does this button on the headrest do? Noticed the same in the UK version of the Jazz too; is that the headrest height adjuster?

It can be used to tilt the headrest towards you.