Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:24   #541
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
GTO and bro! Welcome to the Superb club. I got myself a Superb L&K last year. My buying experience is kind of identical to so many here, went in trying to pick up an octavia 1.8 and one month later ended up with a business grey superb L&K sitting in the parking lot. Although it has run a meagre 6K Kms over the last one year, I have relished every single km and hour spent within it. Amazing car, brilliant size, features and looks.

I fully agree with you and understand the sentiment when you say that it is a 50L car masquerading as a 35L car. It does help when that also aligns with ones own personal credo. Once again, welcome to the Superb owners club and wish your brother and the family miles and miles of happiness with it!
Merril - does the car scrap the bottom on Bengaluru's notorious speed breakers or craters on the road?

"Superb" is my dream car and within the budget. The roads are the only reason I am hesitating - heard today that Silk Board to Airport metro work will start sometime this year and will go on for 5 years. I live in ORR and my office commute (when it starts!) is on the ORR.

What would be your advise on buying the Superb in Bengaluru conditions based on your experience?

GTO - would be great to see some pictures of the interiors with the Coffee Brown leather.
pk1972 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 15:48   #542
BHPian

Congratulations GTO and your brother.

Superb is a great car indeed and the space inside is phenomenal. From Sunny to Superb is a big jump in all aspects. I hope the Skoda horror stories won't come back to haunt you and I really wish Skoda to succeed with new Octavia too. In this era of SUVs, we sedan lovers need more sedans to keep the joy of driving alive. I'm not saying all SUVs are less engaging to drive but they sure can't beat sedans on a good road.

Wishing your brother many happy miles ahead.
Carpainter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 17:28   #543
BHPian

Congratulations and wish you, your brother a lot of happy miles on this new ride. Thanks for the details and sharing the whole experience. Leaving the car details etc aside, personally for me the highlight of the post was that I got to see you in the pics ! Going forward, it will be much easier to relate to your posts when I read through them
viscosity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:18   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1972 View Post
Merril - does the car scrap the bottom on Bengaluru's notorious speed breakers or craters on the road?

"Superb" is my dream car and within the budget. The roads are the only reason I am hesitating - heard today that Silk Board to Airport metro work will start sometime this year and will go on for 5 years. I live in ORR and my office commute (when it starts!) is on the ORR.

What would be your advise on buying the Superb in Bengaluru conditions based on your experience?

GTO - would be great to see some pictures of the interiors with the Coffee Brown leather.
Well I guess I’m best placed to answer this. Live right on the orr and also worried about the looming metro construction. However in the last year on so I’ve had the car, I’ve had the bottom scrape only once and that too on an improperly created ramp at a supermarket parking lot in Kerala.

In fact we completed two trips to and fro between Bangalore and Kerala both with the boot fully loaded. At no point did the car bottom out into a hump or pothole.

I would whole heartily recommend you buy the car. Only drawback is the mileage - I came from a vento 1.6 tdi and the 12 kmpl diesel mileage is very difficult to forget but as GTO mentioned, buy a big car- get used to big fuel bills
Merril is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:50   #545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
Well I guess I’m best placed to answer this. Live right on the orr and also worried about the looming metro construction. However in the last year on so I’ve had the car, I’ve had the bottom scrape only once and that too on an improperly created ramp at a supermarket parking lot in Kerala.

In fact we completed two trips to and fro between Bangalore and Kerala both with the boot fully loaded. At no point did the car bottom out into a hump or pothole.

I would whole heartily recommend you buy the car. Only drawback is the mileage - I came from a vento 1.6 tdi and the 12 kmpl diesel mileage is very difficult to forget but as GTO mentioned, buy a big car- get used to big fuel bills
Thank a lot for your inputs Merril . I will go ahead and do test drives of the 2021 Superb.
Old 3rd February 2021, 19:48   #546
BHPian

Congratulations on the lovely car. It's the best practical, comfy , euro car in the market with just the right ingredients. In fact I even liked the alloy wheels that it comes with.The DSG with the Superb is the newer and smaller version of the DQ500. I would not worry about that at all. The 6 year warranty does give you peace of mind. But then the wait is really long before you go in for a remap of the engine or the DSG.Wishing your family many happy miles.
KKapadia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:29   #547
BHPian

Great car GTO! I admire the weighted reasonings that you provide for the decision you have taken. I am sure this would have inspired at least handful of buyers sitting on the fence to go for Superb!
nagarjun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:56   #548
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations GTO to you and brother for a sensible buy. Being a happy Skoda owner(a 2011 Laura TDI MT), I can vouch for the Skoda quality. The more you use it, the more you'll fall in love with it. As you rightly said, it spoils you no end and going back to a Japanese/Korean car is unthinkable. I bought the car when team bhp was filled with Skoda horror stories. Still I decided to take the plunge because I couldn't get over the extended test drives and back to back drives with Altis and Cruze back then - the other contendors. I had decided to give the DSG a miss though. The Skoda Shield extended warranty(2+2) back then had laid to rest any apprehension I had going for a Skoda. Absolutely no regrets till today and i've enjoyed every moment with it, it's been giving me countless wide grins behind the wheels since then. It still drives tight, not a single rattle or squeak. Having driven a friend's new Passat last year, I was more clearer in my mind about holding onto this, more so because the 2.0 L TDI may never come back. The Passat felt very light and the tank like feel of Laura was missing as manufacturers work overtime to make cars lighter and lighter. Today the car is still going strong at 190K on the odo, obviously with religious upkeep of the car. Skoda is one manufacturer who got all the flaks(rightly so) at the wrong time. But things have improved a great deal in the last ten years. So I'm pretty sure your brother will have a trouble free ownership experience with Superb, such an understated car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Two, the Seltos crash test happened! Because the requirement was primarily highway + high speed safety for my younger brother after the aforementioned Deolali trip, the Seltos was immediately dropped. Stupid Kia, as my bro loves the car otherwise!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Agree fully that Kia really screwed up on the build quality - it meets my needs perfectly but am hunting around looking at various options mainly because of the crash test rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJ View Post
We are also in a similar situation, decided Seltos as our next car but dropped it from the list because of safety rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
GTO, you and I both went through the exact same drill. Decided on Seltos AT, saw the safety ratings, looked at Superb, fought for a good price & bought a 2020 Superb!
It's so interesting to see how often Seltos is mentioned in a Skoda thread. Skoda should thank Kia at least twice for two Superb sales. How Kia screwed it up on the safety front for what's otherwise a great car. One year into it's ownership, the only remorse i've is with it's safety rating. One Mr.Zac must be grinning by reading the above comments of bhpians. Come on Skoda, bring on the Kushaq and teach the high flying Korean twins a lesson or two on vehicle safety. I know of at least two in my immediate circle who have shied away from Seltos for the very same reason and ready to shell out a couple of lakhs more for Kushaq/Taigun for the extra peace of mind and safety net. The 2.0 litre diesel at some point later would really be the icing on the cake.

Meanwhile, another news trickling in.

Quote:
IPL 2021: Chennai Super Kings (CSK) get new title sponsor, Skoda signs 75 Cr deal with MS Dhoni’s team
https://www.insidesport.co/ipl-2021-...s-dhonis-team/

Skoda indeed is leading the charge of the ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India's India 2.0 Project and exciting times ahead for the Skoda VW group and car buyers too.

Cheers,
Bibendum.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 3rd February 2021 at 21:16.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:31   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
I hope Creta (1.6Petrol AT) owners could say this aloud to pacify ourselves each time we visit the petrol bunk.

The 1.6 Petrol engine + AT combo gives mediocre fuel economy usually hovering around 10-12 kmpl , except on long highway trips.
You should actually be happy about that number. It's way better than what BHPians are getting from the smaller i20 1.2 CVT. Check out the thread once. People are getting mileage around 7-8kmpl. Heck even the grand i10 1.2 TC box returns single digit in bangalore traffic. Compared to that 10+ from Creta petrol TC is stupendous. Hyundai petrols were never known to be frugal specially in AT guise

Quote:
IMHO, 33 lakhs for a Superb is a steal. Our original choice - the fully loaded Seltos - costs like 21 lakhs in Mumbai. For 12 lakhs more, we jumped to a car that feels 2 - 3 segments higher and is far safer + luxurious too. Admittedly, the jump in budget is 50%, but my brother wasn't price sensitive (at one point he was considering spending 50 lakhs on a new C-Class) and the Superb feels totally worth it. I feel the Seltos is well priced at 20 lakhs (safety rating aside)...but the Superb is “underpriced” at 33 lakhs. Heck, my Superb L&K cost less than the Compass Facelift's top variant OTR! That's how overpriced the Compass is (and conversely, how well-priced the Superb is).
Congratulation to you and your brother for the wonderful possession. Superb really is a lot of car for the price specially when compared to the Germans. Wish you a fuss-free ownership.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 00:26   #550
BHPian

Congratulations on adding a 'Superb' car to your family garage... I have been a big fan, since the Laura days. Hope the ownership experience is much better than you expect. Keen to know how the new DSG shapes up.
SouravS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 00:29   #551
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride, GTO. Didn't realize you are the founder of TBhp - which I have so frequently started coming back to, to check on all things automotive.

Also, 6L of a discount is amazing. Did you get any sense of discount on the Sportline, while doing your pricing conversations?

Cheers

Has anyone managed to get the speed warning notification (of 80 kmph/120 kmph) disabled? If yes, would appreciate some directions pls.

Specifically, any particular setting to modify on Skoda's VAS. VAS is seemingly less user friendly / less options as compared to VCDS.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 4th February 2021 at 01:02. Reason: Merging back to back posts. please use edit option when replying.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 06:51   #552
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations GTO!! Didn't see that coming from you but a hearty welcome to the Superb Club. As a current owner of the 2012 1.8TSI MT, I can vouch for all the thoughts that you listed going into your buying decision. My car, although a low mileage one, is driving 'superbly' into it's 9th year and I expect the same with yours. And I have no urge to upgrade to anything else because it still fits all my requirements so perfectly. As I mentioned in another thread recently, Superb is (nearly) the perfect sedan one can wish for in today's day and age, especially at the 'value' it offers giving the best bang for your buck.

Here's a recent photo of my car, still going strong and loving it...

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20200826_133551.jpg

Once again wishing your family years of 'Superb' driving pleasure... Cheers

Last edited by dkaile : 4th February 2021 at 07:11.
dkaile is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 06:53   #553
BHPian

Quote:
I feel this best-in-NEXT-class ad symbolizes what the Skoda Superb L&K is about (thanks to Smartcat for sharing the link!)
Congratulations to you and your brother GTO. Welcome to Skoda club.
I bought 1.8 TSI L&K back in 2017, done close to 50K so far and have not regretted.
Things to watch out for:
  • Sunroof squeaks. mine started irritatingly just in first 10K, frequent cleaning and some rubber bidding lubrication helps but not much. Few visits to dealership for this, they tried everything out there including full service of sunroof by removing and refitting but squeak returns after few days of run. WW Skoda forums have reported this but no universal solution. If anyone out there has same issue and found solution please let me know.
  • Power window switches are delicate. After annual internal thorough clean that I get done, they malfunctioned due to cleaning liquid sipping in, observed this after second failure in as many years
  • Back seat arm-rest flap entry to boot is HARD to open, my kid managed to break its lever while trying to open
  • And lastly, its very difficult car to upgrade. E with LWB seems nearest option but at twice the cost! I am looking for upgrade since last year, but next best seems to be 2021 Superb
shyaGO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 07:51   #554
BHPian

Thanks for sharing, this is (has) going (gone) straight to our homepage.

Jokes aside, congratulations on the Superb!

To tell you the truth, with all the Skoda bashing (well deserved too) there is on forums I never expected you to get this; but I'm living with an almost 10year old Skoda and it's been a pleasure every single day (touch wood, and as truckers say buri nazar waale tera mu kaala ). I sort of knew what I was getting into and more than feels like you definitely know - all the best!

Here's wishing you (and your bro) miles x1000000~ Of a great ownership experience

Cheers,
Aayush
aayushnair is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 10:18   #555
BHPian

Congrats to you and your brother, GTO.

Your experience and decision makes me much more comfortable about my decision to buy one couple of months ago.

Quote:
I usually move fast - we TD'ed both cars on Sunday, started negotiations with the two dealers on Monday morning, and we closed the price on Tuesday. Wednesday, we cut them a cheque for 20 big ones and the deal is done.
Glad that I am not the only who went up one class and booked a car within a day of seeing and driving a car. I test drove on Sunday and checked only one option (Elantra) before paying the booking amount on Monday.

Quote:
Just wanted to add that, Vid6639 & me were both greatly influenced by my own thread on how more expensive cars can work out cheaper in the longer run (read it NOW). We're big believers of spending some more $$$ at the start and then retaining the car for 10 years + saving big bucks. My bro was originally inclined to buy a Seltos now and a C-Class 5 years later. Instead, he's going to keep the Superb for 10 years.
This thread is something I live by and was one of the influences to go for a bigger car. Buying this one and keeping as long as I can instead of buying smaller and upgrading 5 years down the line.
Scorpio80 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed