Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3958553)
Other Points:

• If you’re in Neutral and the car starts rolling, the reversing camera and parking sensors automatically turn on! This car has so many small features that will make you smile. Over & over again.

clap: Hats off to Skoda for that. I had the same feeling with my Fabia - which kept surprising me with small surprises almost till the end of first year of ownership.

Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!! (Post 3958553)
Other Points:

• Only one reversing light! Sucks in such a fully-loaded car. There's inherent value in having a reversing lamp on both sides.

I read such statements on never understood why. As per my observation and as I read in other posts of Team BHP too, European cars have usually had one reversing light (Fabia, Polo, Punto). The other side of the reversing light is devoted to the Rear Fog Lamp. I think Superb is inline with the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by agnimidhun (Post 3960105)
I read such statements on never understood why. As per my observation and as I read in other posts of Team BHP too, European cars have usually had one reversing light (Fabia, Polo, Punto). The other side of the reversing light is devoted to the Rear Fog Lamp. I think Superb is inline with the same.

IMHO, having two reversing lights is rather common on most of the Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and Tata vehicles and is a real boon when reversing in poorly lit/ dark areas.

A single light on one side of the car just doesn't help in seeing on the other side.

Most of us don't tend to have a well lit parking area, hence finding the twin reverse lights, which are common on most of our mass market cars, far more convenient.

Mods/ Experts please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the Review S2!! Top Notch as always. :thumbs up

The new Superb does stand up to it's name "Superb". This is the car I will buy if I have a chauffeur and if Skoda can give a better ASS.
However, I have driven the new Octavia and the older Superb and found Octavia is way more fun to drive than the Superb.

So from an enthusiast point of view, Do you think Octavia edges out the new Superb in driving dynamics?

Awesome review S2. Thank you very much.

Post launch, I had been to a Skoda Showroom with a friend to check out the Octavia. There was a Superb on display and I spent a long time just admiring the car, sitting inside in various seats, touching and feeling the various areas. Everything is so pristine and perfect. You kind of bow your head in respect. It is an expensive car. Hope the After Sales treats the owners with the same degree of respect the car commands from the owner.

Slightly OT: Did you purposely hide the branding from the water bottles in this image? Link :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santoshbhat (Post 3959164)
Superb review as always. This is the kind of car that is made for Team BHP official reviews.

Totally agree with this. The perfect review car. Can go on and on and on about it. :)

Dear S!!, thank you for a comprehensive review. This was one I was waiting for. A year from now I will be in the market for a new sedan and the new Superb on a stand alone basis is well worth evaluating. Having owned a Laura and now a Superb my impression of both cars is quite positive. After Sales Service is quite a different matter. One year from now I wonder how the comparison will work out between the Superb vs Camry Hybrid vs the expected new Accord vs the expected Volvo S90. Rated a well deserved 5 stars. Thank you for the effort and time you put into this review. - Narayan

Excellent Review S2!!!

Coming to the car, it would be fair to say some cars make you fall in love with them over and over again! I loved the last generation Superb and the feelings have only amplified right now with this one. Too bad my bank balance is yet to catch up with my feelings :D

I can bet there was a last minute scramble on the pricing thanks to excellent pricing of the Endeavour. Skoda could have distanced the pricing from the Octavia and kept it more towards the Camry Hybrid and it would still sell. However, it would have lost out on the Endeavour on price and body style both.

Funny thing is even after so many days I am yet to spot one. Despite the waiting on the Endeavour i have spotted many on the road but yet to see a single Superb! Pity because the initial euphoria is the best time to cash in. There may be some buyers who may consider the car by simply seeing other examples on the roads. Restricting kits and poor supply is no way to remain niche in the competitive market place. People are willing to wait for a good product but for someone spending 30-35 large ones there are many other options.

Skoda have a good slew of products globally and also scheduled to launch. Somehow they manage to mess something on every car, be it pricing (Fabia, Yeti) or delivery (Octavia, Superb) or variants (Octavia 1.8 TSI MT, Octavia vRS, Superb Diesel MT) or car launches (high time MQB Fabia comes to India). Somehow India doesn't seem to figure in their list of priorities.

Coming back to the car this should be an awesome one to buy used as I don't forsee myself getting one new! Hope service improves with time and they provide better warranty packages on this one especially for the gearbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmenon (Post 3960159)
IMHO, having two reversing lights is rather common on most of the Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra and Tata vehicles and is a real boon when reversing in poorly lit/ dark areas.

A single light on one side of the car just doesn't help in seeing on the other side.

Most of us don't tend to have a well lit parking area, hence finding the twin reverse lights, which are common on most of our mass market cars, far more convenient.

OT, but just wanted to highlight that even Hyundai is now going the European way with its newer launches like the Elite i20, with a single reversing light. It definitely is a poor choice, as I can tell the difference in illumination on the camera display when reversing, depending on which side the kerb lies.

Seems to be a silly place to cut costs. Also, shouldn't uniformity trump the marginal costs saved from this? Hard to fathom what these manufacturers gain.

Quote:

Unlike the Passat, this car doesn't feature a dead lock i.e. once you lock the car from outside, passengers inside can still unlock the Superb (albeit the security alarm will trigger).
Isn't this a good feature ?

Suppose someone is sitting inside the car and its locked from outside and there is some emergency, one can anytime open the door and leave rather than being locked inside. The alarm are being triggered anyways to let others know that the door was opened. Off-course one can argue that children might fool around with such a feature but i think its good as far as safety is concerned.

Or am i missing something ? please:

The topic of single reversing lamps has already been discussed in the forum here. Also found a more precise answer on Quora here.

Since the law says at least one fog lamp, cost cutting has restricted it to the minimum. The rear fog lamp doesn't make much sense in India (might make sense on hilly foggy areas may be). But I like very much :D

Now a days the rear parking sensors can easily take over the job from the light from reversing fog lamps.

The recommended tyre pressure on the flap of my Superb petrol lid is 33psi and 36psi when loaded. Ironically my SA insists I should keep it at 30psi. I also read that the fuel tank has a capacity of 66L. At my recent visit to a company owned IOL Pump I was able to fill 67litres and the funny thing was the tank was not completely empty when I got there. How is this even possible?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABbaby (Post 3960876)
The recommended tyre pressure on the flap of my Superb petrol lid is 33psi and 36psi when loaded. Ironically my SA insists I should keep it at 30psi. I also read that the fuel tank has a capacity of 66L. At my recent visit to a company owned IOL Pump I was able to fill 67litres and the funny thing was the tank was not completely empty when I got there. How is this even possible?

There is some fuel in reserve always like 10 litres. Plus you dont count the fuel lines. You might have had a very close call. Always keep about 10 litres in the tank when refuelling as the particles from fuel if low can go into the engine.

A massive car like this needs 2 reverse lights, they need to do some basic country specific engineering. Cant just export and plonk it anywhere. If they couldve sorted out the ride quality they shouldve sorted out the 2 reversing lights as well. Great car terrible support.

This is a gorgeous car, especially in Black. Feature loaded; which makes the review run across pages!!! Resemblance to Octavia is disappointing though.

Quote:

I also read that the fuel tank has a capacity of 66L. At my recent visit to a company owned IOL Pump I was able to fill 67litres and the funny thing was the tank was not completely empty when I got there. How is this even possible?

If I am not wrong, fuel tank keeps a buffer for an air gap which is on top of the capacity. If there is no air buffer gap in the tank, then the pressure in the tank could go dangerously high, as air is more compressible than fuel. Moreover, you also have hose connecting to the tank, which can take up few extra liters of fuel.

I am not sure if modern cars have changed this aspect, still it explains the additional diesel in the tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acharya (Post 3961301)
If I am not wrong, fuel tank keeps a buffer for an air gap which is on top of the capacity. If there is no air buffer gap in the tank, then the pressure in the tank could go dangerously high, as air is more compressible than fuel. Moreover, you also have hose connecting to the tank, which can take up few extra liters of fuel.

I am not sure if modern cars have changed this aspect, still it explains the additional diesel in the tank.

Even if we fill it without gap, won't there be a gap created within few kms of ride automatically? I trust that should work.

Quote:

Has this happened to you only at that particular pump? It could be the case that their instruments are faulty or they are cheating.