Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 19:17   #601
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Long story short, we got them down further. In total, we ended up with a whopping 6 lakh discount!
A killer price for a lovely car makes it even more special. Congratulations once again buddy!

Quote:
• DSGs can get jerky in crawling traffic (between 1st - 3rd gears). It’s an inherent DSG trait
]
Considering you really haven't put significant numbers on the odometer just yet I'm optimistic about the gearbox learning your driving pattern (throttle inputs) and getting smoother over a period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
In the midst of these developments, Manson sent this picture to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Luckily after speaking to you, moralfibre and Manson, I jumped 14L up just like your bro and got what I really wanted, the Kodiaq.
Saving these to represent to Skoda for a deeper discount if I do end up getting the Superb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Now coming to the deal I am getting for the Sportline:

The SA told me, "Sir, you will get 2020 SL model BUT you have to pay the revised (Ex-showroom) price which is now 31.99L as opposed to 29.99L. Additionally, you will get a 75K discount on this price".
Don't bother. I was offered 2 Lacs off on the 2021 update model last month. This discount will only get bigger in the the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I think Sportline variants never had as big a discounts as the L&K. Not sure why. I can wait for a few more months though.
The discounts I had seen on the 2020 Sportline was 3 Lacs. Could deepen by another 25-50K on the last blue Sportline perhaps, say 3.5 lacs at tops. The L&K was overpriced by 3 Lacs in my opinion, so the deeper discount only corrected the price gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Thanks a ton!
Also, what are your views about extended warranty and the maintenance pack?
Must buy?
Extended warranty with a Skoda is a no brainer, please purchase without fail. Maintenance package of 4 years for 60/70K odd is reasonably priced considering each annual service at Skoda will cost in the range of 15-20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jash2709 View Post
Any good ceramic detailers around Mumbai?
Sumant Vikas of OCD Detail Studio worked on my really old bike a few months back and I was satisfied with the outcome of the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I think GTO, you should stop praising the pricing of car so much here, of all you know Skoda reads this and decides to raise the price of the car
+100000
The review post alone cut a lac if not two of discounts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakarthik1 View Post
What a beautiful car! A diesel would definitely make some of us very interested.
The diesel was around for the past couple of years but at 4 lac price difference it did not justify the investment for most buyers apart from the superior reliability of the higher rated DSG gearbox with the diesel engine. That too is hopefully resolved with the new DSG gearbox with the 2.0 TSI engine.
manson is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 21:19   #602
BHPian

Hi All - I took the plunge in Jan and finally got delivery of my car a couple of weeks back. Manku and DDisLover have already given an elaborate "Buying Decisions" thread. GTO's posts are always crisp - and the 14 Pros/Cons + detailed review have already extolled all the virtues.

So there is not a lot that I can contribute towards additional value - except a few snaps of my new ride. And maybe a short commentary on the significance of a good Paint Protection coating.

To be honest, I was not too convinced initially of any of these paint protection products, having maintained a Black Laura for close to 10 years - and having felt that I did a pretty good job maintaining the shine quite well.

However, a visit to Ultimate Detailerz changed that perception pretty quickly. Gave my car for a Ceramic coating (CQuartz Finest Reserve) + PPF for the Piano Black surfaces. Mohsin from UD is every bit what TBhp had mentioned - very clearcut and straight forward. Some folks may not like the no-nonsense responses, but I did find his suggestions to be very genuine. For e.g. I had never thought I would need a PPF - but his suggestion of getting the Piano-Black surfaces wrapped was spot on. Saw 2 cars - which had their piano black surfaces scratched out/swirled to a point that it just looked ugly.

Havent clocked much miles given the lockdown - but was finally able to figure out all the features. Drives are a charm - but then, most of you have already figured that out.

Here are a few snaps that I finally managed to take over the weekend.

At UD:

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20210212_165350.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20210212_164452.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20210211_182911.jpg

Tyres getting the Nitrogen treatment:

Skoda Superb : Official Review-20210213_140143.jpg
SanjuInGgn is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 11:37   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
Hi All - I took the plunge in Jan and finally got delivery of my car a couple of weeks back. Manku and DDisLover have already given an elaborate "Buying Decisions" thread. GTO's posts are always crisp - and the 14 Pros/Cons + detailed review have already extolled all the virtues. ...
Congratulations Sanju, the car looks amazing! Thanks for providing your thoughts on PPF + ceramic coating. I'm thinking of doing a similar treatment as well, but I am yet to find a good detailer in my hometown.

If you dont mind me asking, what was the quote for ceramic coating + PPF on the piano black surfaces? That seems like an excellent idea!

On an different note - I thought the fuel tank capacity was 66L on the Superb. On my recent refueling (the fuel-guage showed reserve), the auto cut off happened after 72L! Am I missing something? To date, I have fueled up thrice. Once right after buying the car (MID showed a range of ~140kms, dont recollect the volume of fuel), and twice when the car showed reserve warning. For each of the last two times, the auto cut off happened after the car swallowed 70+L of fuel.

Last edited by DDiSLover : 16th February 2021 at 12:02. Reason: added another question
Old 16th February 2021, 17:48   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post

On an different note - I thought the fuel tank capacity was 66L on the Superb. On my recent refueling (the fuel-guage showed reserve), the auto cut off happened after 72L! Am I missing something? For each of the last two times, the auto cut off happened after the car swallowed 70+L of fuel.
Manual says 66L. I did a tankful on day 1 - it was approx 63L - with the MID DTE showing 40km.

Last edited by Sheel : 16th February 2021 at 18:01. Reason: Request you to please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:01   #605
BHPian

Went for a night drive after so many months and came away with a warm feeling in my heart. Not only was the drive soothing to the senses, but my prized possession, the L&K diesel MY18 Superb, surprised me with 'Superb' fuel economy returns!

True, one should expect good fuel economy on largely empty roads and with sedate driving and minimal braking, but getting 25 kilometres to the litre from a 2l diesel engine in a big, big car is no joke, IMHO. I was driving in the 55 to 75 kmph band.

This is solo driving, with the AC kept to auto at 20 degrees. Driving mode was configured to individual preferences - eco for drive, normal for steering and AC, and dynamic for headlights.

The car's done ~31,000 kms, and its tyres were replaced a few months ago. PSI on all four tyres set to 34 a few days ago.Skoda Superb : Official Review-photo_20210217_235411.jpg

Last edited by gk1234 : 18th February 2021 at 00:04.
gk1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 17:36   #606
BHPian

Folks, I have a MY20 Superb. Had couple of questions regarding tyre pressure (Car has the stock Apollo 215/55 R17 tyres).

1. What is the ideal air pressure for the tyres? Based on the image from the fuel flap, I have it at 32/33 in the front/rear tyres. Wanted to check what the experience has been on this group with regards to the air pressure

Skoda Superb : Official Review-tyre-pressure.jpg

2. What is the opinion of the group on filling the car tyres with Nitrogen? Does it help? Is it advisable?
Old 20th February 2021, 01:24   #607
BHPian

I filled it at 35 for all 4 tyres and the ride has got a little bumpy. But since the car will be sitting around for the most time, filled a little more than recommended. I do fill Nitrogen for the simple reason that it is less prone to expansion. Traveling for longer distances at higher speeds would cause the tire to heat up - and consequently the air inside - leading to tire bursts (atleast theoretically; not sure how much of that can be backed up statistically though).

Hi All - I am facing a pretty strange issue with my car. When I play any song via Android Auto OR even via Bluetooth - and then skip to either the previous or the next track - I can hear a much more "distinctly loader/clearer" sound output for a fraction of a second. Then the sound again goes back to the earlier quality. I use Amazon Music for my music.

That momentary sound output definitely sounds superior in quality (and ofcourse loudness levels too).

I was thinking that it may be happening due to "Loudness Normalization" that either my Amazon Music setting is causing or the Media Unit. But inspite of removing this setting, I am still facing this "issue".

Anyone else faced this? If yes, any resolution or suggestions pls?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th February 2021 at 07:38. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Thanks.
SanjuInGgn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 07:34   #608
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All - I am facing a pretty strange issue with my car. When I play any song via Android Auto OR even via Bluetooth - and then skip to either the previous or the next track - I can hear a much more "distinctly loader/clearer" sound output for a fraction of a second. Then the sound again goes back to the earlier quality. I use Amazon Music for my music.
This is a problem with Android Auto. Can you try it out using an iPhone + CarPlay as well if a friend or a colleague in your circle has one? I had faced this issue with the RCD 340 on my Polo and it was highly irritating.

Android Auto has some quirks like these and is not the most polished interface when compared to CarPlay.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2021 at 23:29. Reason: 320 > 340.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 08:19   #609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio80 View Post

2. What is the opinion of the group on filling the car tyres with Nitrogen? Does it help? Is it advisable?
Let's just say the benefits, if any, are not worth the hassle involved.
androdev is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 17:32   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio80 View Post
Agree with androdev, IMO the theory behind Nitrogen filling is mostly just gas .
Air is 78% Nitrogen anyways and when you fill up to around 30 psi, the total % of Nitrogen inside is around 89%, (not really possible to have 100% as in deflated condition you have 100% air inside it).
So whatever the tyre guy markets is the advantage of Nitrogen, everyone is driving around with that "advantage" (almost) anyways
lambodara is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:48   #611

Hi All - I have been on a lookout for a new car in 25L+ segment as a replacement for my 2013 Hyundai Verna. The launch of Compass spiced things up, but the 34.5L on road Mumbai price tag for a facelift seems a bit too steep with almost 2.5 month of waiting period for 'S' variant.

I have always been a fan of sedans and inspite of practical challenges due to low ground clearance took a TD of BMW 330i and Skoda Superb recently. I must say BMW is sheer pleasure but Skoda just put a big smile on my face for the value it offers.

I am inclined to go ahead with Skoda Superb though the only thing which is holding me back is the ground clearance and the long wheel base. I like to do road trips and frequently go slight offroad (likes of Lonavala/Mahabaleshwar/Goa from Mumbai. Not really Leh/Ladakh) and the scare of hurting my car is keeping me from taking the plunge.
Will be great to hear from fellow members if this should be a deal breaker in your view? Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd February 2021, 00:39   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
This is a problem with Android Auto. Can you try it out using an iPhone + CarPlay as well if a friend or a colleague in your circle has one? I had faced this issue with the RCD 340 on my Polo and it was highly irritating.

Android Auto has some quirks like these and is not the most polished interface when compared to CarPlay.
Tried today using the iPhone. CarPLay sound quality and interface is a class apart. Thanks for that insight, Gannu_1.
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:47   #613
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharutk View Post
I have always been a fan of sedans and inspite of practical challenges due to low ground clearance took a TD of BMW 330i and Skoda Superb recently. I must say BMW is sheer pleasure but Skoda just put a big smile on my face for the value it offers.
Go for the 330i. It is way more fun to drive, the engine & gearbox are fantastic, the suspension offers the perfect ride + handing balance and BMW's reliability is far superior to Skoda's. Owning a BMW will feel more special and while the Superb's quality is very good, the luxury marques are 25% better.

Pick the Superb only if you need that extra leg space at the back. Else, for a self-driving enthusiast who loves road-tripping & can stretch his budget, a RWD 330i over the FWD Superb any day!

You might want to check out this article of mine (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2021 at 10:48.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:32   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Tried today using the iPhone. CarPLay sound quality and interface is a class apart. Thanks for that insight, Gannu_1.
I use CarPlay and haven't had the issue you mentioned, but I did notice a quirk with loudness normalization sometimes when maps or something else has to take over the audio stream for an announcement, Amazon Music doesn't always come back at the same loudness level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharutk View Post
I am inclined to go ahead with Skoda Superb though the only thing which is holding me back is the ground clearance and the long wheel base. I like to do road trips and frequently go slight offroad (likes of Lonavala/Mahabaleshwar/Goa from Mumbai. Not really Leh/Ladakh) and the scare of hurting my car is keeping me from taking the plunge.
Will be great to hear from fellow members if this should be a deal breaker in your view? Thanks in advance.
The ground clearance has been absolutely fine for me so far, but I am not familiar with the roads you mention, so cant comment on that. In Bangalore/Karnataka and Tamil Nadu roads where I have driven, the car's been comfortably ok even on broken roads.

163 mm GC is not in SUV territory, but its not Honda City level either

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd February 2021 at 22:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button while quoting and replying to multiple posts at once. Thanks.
manku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 17:41   #615

Quote:
Go for the 330i. It is way more fun to drive, the engine & gearbox are fantastic, the suspension offers the perfect ride + handing balance and BMW's reliability is far superior to Skoda's. Owning a BMW will feel more special and while the Superb's quality is very good, the luxury marques are 25% better.

Pick the Superb only if you need that extra leg space at the back. Else, for a self-driving enthusiast who loves road-tripping & can stretch his budget, a RWD 330i over the FWD Superb any day!

You might want to check out this article of mine (How a more expensive car can work out cheaper (if you hold onto it for longer)).
Thanks GTO. Very useful.

Considering you have driven both cars extensively, is living with Superb easier looking at Mumbai roads? Or you think I am overthinking here and ground clearance should not be a factor which should sway the decision either way. (difference in ground clearance is not much i know, but I realised around my home while taking the test drive that 330i scraped on the speed breaker wheras Superb dint)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks