Team-BHP - Skoda Superb : Official Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Skoda Superb : Official Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/175340-skoda-superb-official-review-5.html)

This review reminded me of Sam Kapasi. Great review guys, the depth of analysis and information supported by pictures is just so informative to read. A combination of technical aspect + the common mans perspectives. Complete "Paisaa vasool"

This review clears soo many of my doubts, I might as well replace my jetta with superb, My parents would be happy at the back seat and ill be happy at the driver's seat and I won't have to shell out another 20-30 lakhs after buying the superb just for the brand value, Only down side is those empty slots even in the L & K variant, Skoda's reliability and After sales!
Amazing review though! Thanks a lot!

I used to wonder why some people are hell bent on buying a Skoda after all these low reputation! And one look at this thread, am sold on the car!!

Skoda makes lovely cars - how I wish they had a bit of customer centricity as well. There is hardly anything to point out wrong compared to the good bits. I love this styling which is so sharp. Heck, those headlights & tail lights alone can make a sale. The features are all bonus. And I wonder why does the A4 & 3 series cost so much more too.

Brilliant review as usual, team!!! No reviews would ever (most likely) have some of these details incorporated. Am sure team-bhp pics are driving some sales too. I read the review halfway and was about to sleep; got up, read the rest on my mobile & slept peacefully. The review is addictive, no one can do just one round!!

And yes, I am happy that I cant afford the car, no heartburns. This car made my heart beast faster.

Excellent review S2 !

And love the way you have pointed out all the small bits and pieces of info that any reviewer (or the sales guy at the showroom for that matter) may not tell us.

Wish Skoda had a better customer service; so that we may not see people struggling in the dwarfed versions of German premiums. As you rightly pointed out, Superb should be on the comparo sheet right against the 3 Series, A4 and of course the C / CLA. The superb actually puts the smaller siblings of the earlier mentioned german cars to shame.

Yet, VW doesnt look like revamping the Customer Service of the Czech in India (not well informed on the way it is outside india).

Waiting to see them on the road!! If I had the 30 Lakh wallet, the Superb L&K would have been the only sedan in the list for a new car.

Came across this picture on the web showing the side profiles of 2nd gen Superb vs the 3rd gen Superb.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-superb-ii-vs-superb-iii.jpg
Source

The picture explains a lot on how the design team were able to take away the 'limousine' side profile in the new generation Superb, while at the same time the car grew in overall length, wheelbase, width and slightly more in height also.

The front and rear overhangs are smaller in the newer car. The headlight design neatly integrates into the sharper shoulder line. Smarter folds/lines are integrated into the bottom of the doors in the newer car, compared to plain looking doors of the second gen Superb. They have cleverly played along with the design of the C-pillar. The angles aren't as sharp as the second gen Superb, the rear windscreen seems to be larger and stretch out more.

The extended portion of the rear door/quarter glass for the 3rd gen Superb is one of the critical design elements that eliminates the 'limo' side profile. Some have pointed out that this extended portion of the rear door comes in the way during rear ingress/egress. I think it is one part where the team took liberty into 'form over function' (typically the other way for Skoda designs) to achieve the well proportioned side profile :)

Fantastic review that I would have rated 5 stars if there was an option to rate reviews on the iPhone app.

Skoda has really upped the ante with the new Superb. This car, especially in L&K trim, takes all that was good in the old Superb and makes it better (except for the absence of the twin door boot, which I find very useful).

Yes, service will be hit and miss. And reliability, even other than the DSG, will be poor. And you will almost certainly have a Mechatronics failure (or three) with the DSG. But for that, you get a car that outclasses the much costlier 3 series / C Classes and in many ways is better than a 520D / E200 that cost twice as much. And service / insurance costs are much lower than those cars as well. So if you put your practical hat on, this is the car to buy in the price range.

Personally, would consider the Petrol DSG again when I look to replace my current (6 year old) Superb early next year. Unless I get seduced by fancy brands and blow up my hard earned cash on a luxury car.

Great review S2!! Need to TD the car, have been travelling and very busy after getting back, so still pending...
Quote:

Originally Posted by S2!!!
On the flip side, the car's turning radius is 5.85 meters! That is rather wide and, as you would expect, taking u-turns in such a long car will require more 3-pointers than the average sedan.

5.85m would mean a Turning Diameter of 11.7m. When I had posted this comparison of the new Superb with the one it replaced, I had seen in the specs a TD of 11.1m! 11.7m (as in the official specs on Skoda India/Germany websites), seems too high for our roads esp. with all the U-turns in Bangalore :-( For comparison, it seems 10.6m for E class, and 11.4m for 520d.

Tech Spec Comparison (New Superb vs Old):
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3921504
Feature Comparison (New Superb vs Old):

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3921511

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemanth.anand (Post 3958850)
PS:It is Kerb and not Curb. Mods, please correct it.

I use 'kerb' all the time, but thought to mention 'curb' is American English for it.

I have been noticing that if I park my car on an incline/decline when get in to drive off and I move the gear stick from P (park) into D (drive) it offers some resistance and makes a grating sound. This doesn't happen when it's on relatively flat road. Are these signs of the gearbox deteriorating? Should I be concerned?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABbaby (Post 3963595)
I have been noticing that if I park my car on an incline/decline when get in to drive off and I move the gear stick from P (park) into D (drive) it offers some resistance and makes a grating sound. This doesn't happen when it's on relatively flat road. Are these signs of the gearbox deteriorating? Should I be concerned?

That's because when you park on an incline or decline, it doesn't seem you are using the hand brake or not engaging in enough. The cars weight shifts on to the parking pin which engages when you put the car in P. And that is only meant for flat ground. So while the weight of the car is on the pin, it makes the sound when you move into gear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABbaby (Post 3963595)

Many people I know , have this problem.
I have a very simple work around for this.

Pull the parking brake lever all the way up (with the brake pedal still depressed) before moving the gear shift to P mode(this will ensure that the wheels don't move a bit, as a result there is no load on the pin and hence no grating sound white shifting from 'P 'to' D' mode)

Hope this helps solve your problem:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecosport rules (Post 3963637)
Many people I know , have this problem.

I have a very simple work around for this.

Pull the parking brake lever all the way up (with the brake pedal still depressed) before moving the gear shift to P mode(this will ensure that the wheels don't move a bit, as a result there is no load on the pin and hence no grating sound white shifting from 'P 'to' D' mode)

Hope this helps solve your problem:)

Thanks for the advice. Will certainly try this.

Posting very initial impression of the car. Got our car on 29th April. Delivered on promised date by Tafe Access at Bangalore. Smooth delivery no problems.
Model is 1.8 TSI MT - Style.

Car is extremely smooth and easy to drive. You do not feel the size. Coming from Cruze to Superb gives a feeling of very light steering wheel. Have not driven the car beyond 70 kmph so do not know currently how it will feel at higher speeds.
One minus point which I noticed currently are tyres. Makes too much noise and the grip level is not too good. Looks like tyres needs to be changed.
Will try to post a owners review after about 500-1000 kms.

Autocar May Edition published following 0 to 100 Kmph figures for Superb.

1.8TSI MT 8.42 sec
1.8 TSI AT 8.52 sec
2.0 TDI AT 7.83 sec

Octavia 1.8 TSI AT has a claimed 0 to 100 of 7.2 seconds. But in autocar test it did in 8.01 seconds. So TDI superb is indeed a rocket clap:

Note from Mode - Removed pic due to copyright issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by motor_breathing (Post 3964185)
Autocar May Edition published following 0 to 100 Kmph figures for Superb.

1.8TSI MT 8.42 sec
1.8 TSI AT 8.52 sec
2.0 TDI AT 7.83 sec

Octavia 1.8 TSI AT has a claimed 0 to 100 of 7.2 seconds. But in autocar test it did in 8.01 seconds. So TDI superb is indeed a rocket clap:

Note from Mode - Removed pic due to copyright issues

I was quite surprised when I read this actually. Did not expect the TDI to be nearly a second quicker to the ton. And it does not stop there, the TDI is quicker to 150 too. It could be something to do with fuel quality. My experience with TSI engines says that they love higher octane fuel. Our regular 91 octane kind of stunts its performance. With 97 Octane, the TSIs should be quicker than the TDI.

We took delivery of a Superb 1.8tsi L&K within the family last week to replace the very rare and absolute pleasure to drive previous generation Superb 3.6 V6 FSI 4x4.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-image3-2.jpg
Skoda Superb : Official Review-image4-1.jpg
Skoda Superb : Official Review-image5.jpg
Skoda Superb : Official Review-image6.jpg

The monster with the 3.6 V6 4x4 that it replaces
Skoda Superb : Official Review-image1-2.jpg

Initial Impressions; It is a bloody head turner on the roads and the delay in deliveries of the diesel cars might just let us enjoy the attention for a little longer :D

It is hardly any fun to drive when compared to the 3.6 FSI which is actually superb, but this car is now chauffeur driven 90% of the time so not missed too much. We own a Octavia 1.8tsi as well which I drive almost daily and in the Superb with the same engine the effect of the greater weight and size is immediately noticeable when you drive it, it is not as much fun to drive as the Octavia which is very agile in comparison. The Superb felt more planted as compared to the Octavia but this is just an initial impression from driving within the city, need to try driving it on the highway and at higher speeds. The stock Hankook tyres that came with the car hardly provide any grip and not very confidence inspiring and yes they are just too noisy. It felt too big and barge like to drive within the city to me. Of course my opinions above are solely a comparison with the bigger engine in the previous gen of the same car and same engine in a lighter and smaller car. The 1.8tsi for those not very familiar with it will still be an absolute blast to drive.

Feature wise it cannot get any more loaded than this at the price, although a lot of part sharing with the Octavia and similar design language made me feel very much at home in the Superb. In terms of rear leg room trying out sitting in both the older Superb and the new one back to back I am very sure the older generation is better, in fact I find the older Superb's rear seat more comfortable than this one as there seems to be some change in the seat back positioning or angle. Having said that the rear seat comfort is still class leading and in fact I can still almost compare the rear comfort with an S500 that we also own in the family.

The car was delivered with accessories like original skoda rubber mats, skoda boot rubber mat, trunk net, tablet holder and mobile holder as well as the protective boot lip. All these things are listed as additional accessories but were provided by the dealer without asking for it and without paying anything extra for it which I found weird. Also there was no umbrella provided at delivery and when checked with the dealer later he said that they will send it across but only 1 umbrella and not 2 as Skoda is providing only 1 Umbrella with the car, here I smell something fishy maybe someone else here who has got delivery can confirm.