Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 14:47   #781
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Having typed out the run-in phase of the Superb a few days back, let me now jot down the reasoning on getting this machine and how we welcomed it.

The reasoning

We really wanted a true family sedan for sub urban India. The true family car in the sense that it gets every occupant of the car almost the same experience, which we felt was missing in the German competition, where either the driver was having all the fun, or the rear bench was pampered back to the mother's womb, which includes the Camry too.

Yes in the Superb, there are a few things you might miss in each seat, but it's not far off from what the other occupants enjoy. The rear passengers miss out on the ventilation, but with the shades up and the longer wheelbase, sun light never reaches the seat fabric to make them hot and uncomfortable, but they get to enjoy the extra legroom. The shotgun, though can be pushed upfront with the Boss button, gets to control the infotainment, and can override the Boss of a family member who streams songs from far behind using Bluetooth. The driver can enjoy using the engine and can play around gently while being weighed down by the responsibility of giving a comfortable, relaxing ride for the other occupants and the extra weight lugging sometimes in the massive boot.

Hope @M00M can get a few notes from the above.

The welcome

And, now to welcome our Superb, it can't be the usual delivery photos to support, it has to be of the current times, it has to be truly virtual, it has to be truly online, it has to be a webpage https://the-skoda.netlify.app/, a web page that is so big that it takes around 14MB to load (foreshadowing the mileage that the Superb delivers in kmpl), a web page with a virtual Superb which you can interact with as well, a web page whose code you can look at https://github.com/sbenstewart/the-skoda

Yours truly, being considerate of the mobile users on limited bandwidth not being able to experience the web page, has attached below a video of the same, but truly recommends to try out the web experience at least once. Please note that this is not the exact replica of the car, as the render was created from the blueprints provided in the manual, which had prints only of the MY2016, all thanks to Skoda's simply clever cost cutting.

sbenstewart is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 15:42   #782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
My 2 bits:

Toyota Camry

Red Mica

Thank you for your reply. Yes it does look stunning in Red but I would prefer a subtle Silver if I ever go that route. They need more colours like a soft Blue and a Brown Tan interior as an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Since you already have the ES, Camry is the same car underneath so there wouldn't be much difference in the performance/efficiency department. Yesterday I saw a video of EvoIndia's drive from Bangalore to Kanyakumari on Earth Day in the Camry and they got an Alto-rivalling mileage of 23.5Kmpl for the entire 700kms!
!
Yes Sir, My ES is averaging 20 kmpl. Due to lockdown and COVID travel bans, limited usage but it is returning stellar 20 and even the first service is due. So i expect this figure to go up. So 23.5 in my opinion is achievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
My two cents: you should consider either the updated 2021 Camry or the petrol E class.
Yes was considering the E but dealer says no discounts and it is considerably more expensive now. It is about 77 for Expression variant and 81 for Exclusive variant. Too overpriced, no discounts, no Blue colour and expensive in my opinion but I am thinking of checking out good used cars if I can find a good condition used E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Oh, so for a change you should consider the 6 series.
Had a bad experience with BMW India. I had given a token amount to book the 5 before my ES and then I felt the need to shift to ES so since we had not booked any car (5 was not ordered or booked just token was given to keep a tentative booking), they refused to refund my money. Eventually they refunded but after 9 months and lots and lots of calls and emails to the higher ups. It was apparently BMW India and Dealer Boss refusing to refund. Left a bad taste as through me they have sold a few cars just on my word to the people who have bought it and given their reference / contact number / personal introduction to buy the car from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Your priorities seem to scream Camry but you seem to gravitate towards the value proposition that Superb offers. This, despite saying that budget is not a concern
If it truly isn’t a concern, buy the Camry. Else go for the Superb. I had the same dilemma and Viddy had added CR V to the cocktail making it more confusing Fortunately Honda cleared the confusion by stopping sales of CRV and We eventually bought Camry in Jan’21.

Facelifted Camry should be launched in another 6 months time, if not earlier.

Cheers
Thank you for your reply. I was discussing with my friend and BHPian Lamborghini and my Banker about a change of car for my Mother as she is 99% driver driven and 1% self and the Driver drives me around sometimes and goes shopping for house stuff due to COVID so while Camry is a good choice, its too expensive. I would buy a CRV eyes closed if they had it on sale as i already have a 2014 CRV and I love it to bits. In fact the idea was to get the CRV special edition but they stopped selling the car entirely. My Banker was of the opinion to look at Superb as he has sold lots of them in the last 6 months. He advised me that its half of E and less than Camry so its a value proposition but I am still concerned about the reliability and the after sales of Skoda in India so I thought it best to ask all the owners out here. Also it feels a bit old now.

Anyways, Thanks to all but my driver has tested COVID + 2 days back and now we are all in self imposed quarantine at home as we all had some minor exposure to him as he would come and go with house food veggies etc. Currently no one is showing any symptoms but we have decided to isolate and stay safe for now. So no new car testing or driving for next 15-20 days till the Doc gives a go ahead to step out. Hoping some announcements regarding Tesla Model Y or return of the CRV or HRV or City Hybrid or next gen Camry or discounts on the E start. Let's wait and watch.

Last edited by M00M : 24th April 2021 at 15:51.
Old 24th April 2021, 16:52   #783
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Thank you for your reply. I was discussing with my friend and BHPian Lamborghini and my Banker about a change of car for my Mother as she is 99% driver driven and 1% self and the Driver drives me around sometimes and goes shopping for house stuff due to COVID so while Camry is a good choice, its too expensive. I would buy a CRV eyes closed if they had it on sale as i already have a 2014 CRV and I love it to bits. In fact the idea was to get the CRV special edition but they stopped selling the car entirely. My Banker was of the opinion to look at Superb as he has sold lots of them in the last 6 months. He advised me that its half of E and less than Camry so its a value proposition but I am still concerned about the reliability and the after sales of Skoda in India so I thought it best to ask all the owners out here. Also it feels a bit old now.
First of all, I hope you all turn out COVID -ve!

Since you already have a ES300, no point in going for the Camry. I had the same concerns for Skoda as you do & since it was going to be the only nice car in the family, I couldn't take risk with so much money. With you, that doesn't seem to be the case. I would encourage you to try the Superb, the value it offers is incredible, truly. Unless, you want to spend more money than the Camry, then why not the Merc

After being Honda loyalist for 2 decades buying 2 Honda City's one of which was Type 2 (best one ever!), later the Civic, unfortunately their current strategy didn't inspire any confidence. I think they've become a one trick pony aka Honda City.

Last edited by RJK : 24th April 2021 at 16:58.
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 16:09   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
First of all, I hope you all turn out COVID -ve!

Since you already have a ES300, no point in going for the Camry. I had the same concerns for Skoda as you do & since it was going to be the only nice car in the family, I couldn't take risk with so much money.

After being Honda loyalist
Thank you for your COVID -ve wishes. . So far so good. I caught his symptoms early i feel and sent him home to rest even though he was a bit hesitant to go home and rest. He tells me he had cold milk for 3 days so maybe thats why he got COVID. I had to explain thats not the case but to rest now and not worry about job or anything else.

Well honestly i am a Honda loyalist too, had 2 Honda City and currently a Brio and a CRV along with my ES, and other than the hybrid tech and the larger comfier size of the Camry, 9 airbags, safety, i dont see it being any different from the Honda City usage wise. I still feel the City with its new styling and upmarket interiors is a good good product. Lets see how the hybrid comes out. Superb I will TD and decide, I also dont want the hassle to manage lots of expensive big cars as they get difficult to park in the city. Waiting to hear keenly about the HRV Hybrid for India as well.

Last edited by M00M : 25th April 2021 at 16:19.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:33   #785
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Now criteria most important are:
1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service
4. Ease of use and ease of maintenance
5. Fuel Efficiency as its driver driven
The Camry wins on almost all counts. Main advantage of the Superb vs the Camry is driving pleasure (although new Camry is damn good too), the typical Euro stuff (build etc.) and that it is significantly cheaper. But on your listed parameters, the Camry is supreme. Heck, it'll give you 14 - 15 kmpl in the city too.

However, because you already have an ES, I have to say Superb (<40 lakhs), 3-Series LWB (fun & spacious, both) or E-Class. Recommending the last two as you said no budget cap. If driving pleasure is even a little important, go for the 3-Series LWB. BMW makes very reliable cars. It's a lot of fun in the driver's seat, and comfortable on the backseat. E-Class is next-level luxury, but no fun to drive due to its l-e-n-g-t-h.

On a different note, is there anyone else out here who likes staring at their cars from a couple of floors above?
Skoda Superb : Official Review-20210429-08.49.55.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 29th April 2021 at 19:51.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 19:55   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

On a different note, is there anyone else out here who likes staring at their cars from a couple of floors above?
Attachment 2150453
Yes! I love the way how cars look longer and bigger when you see them from an height. I am referring to sedans like City, Verna. Superb must be looking mind blowing from the top
pk1972 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 23:07   #787

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

I agree the stock tires are rubbish and the wheels were too boring for my eyes.
Got this late last year for my dads B'day. Running on 245/45r18s now

The few things that i did miss on the LK were the absence of the virtual cockpit, Full led lights and 360 cam. I did manage to get a VC installed on mine though - I just couldn't stand looking at the analog dials.

Current mod list include -

Wheels and tires upgrade : This made the ride and handling so much better.
ECU and TCU remaps : Makes me grin when I floor it
Adaptive Cruise control : Thought my dad would like this but he seems indifferent

Hoping to get the 360 cam installed the next time i come to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by parekhakshar View Post
Is it possible to retrofit lane assist, adaptive cruise control, headlight assist in superb?
Yes it is.. it's costly though. Vagtune helped me with mine. Lane assist - I'm not too sure but I ve had the rest retrofitted on mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_20210129_133836.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_20210215_180242.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd May 2021 at 12:17. Reason: Mod note attached.
rocketgeorge is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 00:59   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgeorge View Post
I agree the stock tires are rubbish ...
Hoping to get the 360 cam installed the next time i come to India
Nice wheels bro!

On the 360 degree cam, do you know how to get it done? Are you taking about the oem skoda one or an after market one? I'm looking to get one too, but I don't want to get an aftermarket unit. Would love to get the skoda oem one if possible, without affecting warranty.
Old 30th April 2021, 01:26   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Nice wheels bro!

On the 360 degree cam, do you know how to get it done? Are you taking about the oem skoda one or an after market one? I'm looking to get one too, but I don't want to get an aftermarket unit. Would love to get the skoda oem one if possible, without affecting warranty.
Thanks bud, they're replica RS7 wheels. Gives it an OEM look given that the new Vrs wheels are similar.

Vagtune says he can retrofit the OEM Skoda 360 cam but that means changing a few parts including the ORVM if I'm not mistaken. Warranty would be at the dealers discretion but I've been told that warranty is usually voided ONLY on the modified part/s
rocketgeorge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 19:34   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the Camry is supreme. Heck, it'll give you 14 - 15 kmpl in the city too.

However, because you already have an ES, I have to say Superb
Thanks. New Camry FL is expected by dealers in June / July so lets see how they stack up. Launch is confirmed by 2 dealers.

Superb I really have liked it from Day 1 but the fact that it will be 99% driven driven makes me want to rethink due to low mileage and drivers don't really drive carefully so better to give them a car which is low maintenance and can take some abuse. Sincerely thinking, don't want to spend a lot of money due to covid work is down by a lot so want to save up for contingencies, so the choices are either to get something and use for 10 years, don't mind waiting for some time or to use what's there right now for next few years, or other wise make a compromise and get the best all weather sedan - Honda City albeit hybrid form. Lets see, what happens in the next few months with covid and changing dynamics of the market, I like the Superb but giving him something that delivers 7-8 kmpl is not appropriate as he may reduce it to further 5 kmpl with the way drivers operate the car.

Yes I like to look at my cars too from the balcony.

Can I request you to start a Superb thread of your own ? Might help us all out.

Last edited by M00M : 1st May 2021 at 19:35.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:13   #791
BHPian

Hello everyone, it’s been about 2 months with the Superb and I’ve enjoyed every bit of it. However, recently I’ve been noticing a faint sound coming from the driver’s door whenever there is some stress on the chassis, for instance while turning or going over some bad road that involves significant vertical movements. Just wanted to check if others have experienced something similar?

The sound is mostly from the door seals, as far as I could make out.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:00   #792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrajagarwal View Post
...whenever there is some stress on the chassis, for instance while turning or going over some bad road that involves significant vertical movements.

The sound is mostly from the door seals, as far as I could make out.
Known flaw due to drying door rubber beadings in the Superb and Octavia due to the MQB chassis flexing over uneven roads. Just Google for the same. Get Skoda Service to lubricate them, or buy something like Gummi Pflege and lubricate them yourself.

https://www.amazon.in/nextzett-91480...omotive&sr=1-2

It stays lubricated for ~2/3 months depending upon the weather and parking conditions, and usually returns after that.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 00:15   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Known flaw due to drying door rubber beadings in the Superb and Octavia due to the MQB chassis flexing over uneven roads. Just Google for the same. Get Skoda Service to lubricate them, or buy something like Gummi Pflege and lubricate them yourself.

https://www.amazon.in/nextzett-91480...omotive&sr=1-2
Ordered it and expecting delivery around mid May. In the mean time, the squeaks were driving me insane and our old friend ‘WD-40’ came to the rescue. Could get rid of most of the squeaks by applying it.
Old 5th May 2021, 02:37   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Ordered it and expecting delivery around mid May. In the mean time, the squeaks were driving me insane and our old friend ‘WD-40’ came to the rescue. Could get rid of most of the squeaks by applying it.
Thanks for sharing. Can WD-40 be used on rubber beadings? Will it not dry out the rubber and make it more brittle as WD-40 can act as a degreaser as well. I have been using a silicon based spray once in 2-3 months.
Karvel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 02:48   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not apply WD-40 on any rubber or plastic components. It can cause the components to go brittle over time and eventually crack or split. Silicone based lubricants are best served for this purpose.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks