Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:20   #1336
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
So, I got the battery changed from Brite Skoda and as usual, overall a pleasant experience. However my observations on the process:

1) The battery dies just like that : no warning
2) The battery replacement is NOT as trivial as plug and play. The moment it is disconnected, the car forgets itself.
3) A very detailed reset and coding procedure was involved with their proprietary scan tool (like VCDS)
4) The battery serial number, batch number, type and a few other details are entered manually into the scan tool and a checksum is generated.
5) Many modules like ABS, ESC, turning lights, windows, sunroof etc. go haywire. They have to manually cleared and reset from the scan window.
6) A few residual errors are reset ONLY if you drive a few hundred meters. Steering, ESC, ABS for example.

So while it may be possible to fit an external battery, I doubt if a valid checksum would be generated if a random serial number is punched in or if we "add 1 to the old serial number" (as advised on some VAG forums).

The battery MRP is 11831/- . The old battery is with me. Need to sell it off

Car score : 5/5
Battery longevity score : 3/5 (Varta non AGM, 72AH)
Brite Skoda workshop score : 4.75/5
I drive a Superb 2.0 TDi here in Germany. I replaced the battery myself with an AGM one from Energizer. Bought it at a hardware store. I had to only change one digit in the serial number using OBD Eleven or VCDS and it works fine. The other thing I changed was the capacity since the aftermarket batteries have 2Ah more.
vigneshram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:39   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Not a Superb owner but generically speaking:

1. How are the current tyres and what brand? Age & mileage on them?
2. Is the spare a full-sized one or a space-saver tyre (SST)?
3. Are your tyre pressures correct?
4. You should generally buy 2 if the other tyres are fairly worn. Ideally, new tyres should go to the rear axle.
5. Do check wheel alignment definitely!
6. Michelin is the preferred brand as such.
1. Current ones are the stock tyres (Apollo). The tyres are around 2 years old and the car has driven ~7K in the last 20 months
2. Spare is a SST
3. Got air checked before I left for the trip (at 32 PSI) and got it done again while coming back
6. Called a couple of dealers from Michelin website, and got quotes for Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama, ranging from 11K to 13.5K. Couple of observations and questions
  • One dealer said that the he doesn't have the size required (215/55), but has 215/60 instead which is cheaper. Not sure if this is fine or does it void some sort of warranty. Also since I am planning to buy only 2, not sure if different sizes on front and back is good for drive or the car
  • Apparently, Yokohama has an unconditional 2 year warranty where they will replace tires if they burst or can't be fixed. Any feedback on Yokohama?
Scorpio80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:02   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio80 View Post
1. Current ones are the stock tyres (Apollo). The tyres are around 2 years old and the car has driven ~7K in the last 20 months
2. Spare is a SST
3. Got air checked before I left for the trip (at 32 PSI) and got it done again while coming back
6. Called a couple of dealers from Michelin website, and got quotes for Michelin, Bridgestone and Yokohama, ranging from 11K to 13.5K. Couple of observations and questions
  • One dealer said that the he doesn't have the size required (215/55), but has 215/60 instead which is cheaper. Not sure if this is fine or does it void some sort of warranty. Also since I am planning to buy only 2, not sure if different sizes on front and back is good for drive or the car
  • Apparently, Yokohama has an unconditional 2 year warranty where they will replace tires if they burst or can't be fixed. Any feedback on Yokohama?
Oops, you have done a pitifully low mileage and your tyres must be in good shape as such. I'd suggest just buy an single Apollo replacement and be content with it. The other (expensive) option is to change all 4 to Michelin Primacy 4ST.

Keep in mind that your full-size spare tyre may not fit into your SST wheel well. Do check that first.

Your pressure for fully loaded drives is much too low in my opinion. What does the tyre placard say (front door sill or inside fuel filler flap)? Generally, these Euro manufacturers require much higher pressures. That could well be why your tyre blew out.

Michelin Primacy 4ST (all-rounder, comfort-oriented, longer life) or Pilot Sport 4 (sportier, lower life, softer compound) is best - keep trying for 215/55/17. I would not recommend changing to 60 profile. The ideal upsize is 235/50/17 but you may not really need such high-end tyres.

No idea about Yokohama's promises. In my experience, such warranties are rarely fulfilled.

Last edited by itwasntme : 23rd August 2022 at 17:07.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:14   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshram View Post
I drive a Superb 2.0 TDi here in Germany. I replaced the battery myself with an AGM one from Energizer. Bought it at a hardware store. I had to only change one digit in the serial number using OBD Eleven or VCDS and it works fine. The other thing I changed was the capacity since the aftermarket batteries have 2Ah more.
I also replaced the EFB battery with AGM battey (higher capacity) in my VW Golf Mk7. As you mentioned we need to update only the battery type, capacity and change one digit in the serial no. With the change in serial no., ECU knows that it is a new battery and with correct battery type and capacity, ECU would adapt the charging properties accordingly.

You can even skip the VCDS update and everything would work but the charging properties would not be optimum which would affect battery life in long term.

Regarding all christmas tree warning lamps, simply drive the car 100 mtrs, everything would heal itself. I have disconnected and reconnected battery few times in VAG cars and its same every time.
Old 23rd August 2022, 17:44   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Oops, you have done a pitifully low mileage and your tyres must be in good shape as such. I'd suggest just buy an single Apollo replacement and be content with it. The other (expensive) option is to change all 4 to Michelin Primacy 4ST.

Keep in mind that your full-size spare tyre may not fit into your SST wheel well. Do check that first.

Your pressure for fully loaded drives is much too low in my opinion. What does the tyre placard say (front door sill or inside fuel filler flap)? Generally, these Euro manufacturers require much higher pressures. That could well be why your tyre blew out.

Michelin Primacy 4ST (all-rounder, comfort-oriented, longer life) or Pilot Sport 4 (sportier, lower life, softer compound) is best - keep trying for 215/55/17. I would not recommend changing to 60 profile. The ideal upsize is 235/50/17 but you may not really need such high-end tyres.

No idea about Yokohama's promises. In my experience, such warranties are rarely fulfilled.
Thanks for inputs.

For spare tyre, my thought was to keep full-size spare one on long drives, so that I can use the small-size spare to get to the closest mechanic and have him replace the damaged tyre on the full-size wheel with the full-size spare, which I would need to get done in any case after reaching the destination. That way the travel on small-size spare can be reduced in such scenarios.
Old 28th August 2022, 15:32   #1341
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is TSI MT.
A small query. When you take your car over uneven roads / undulations, does the ESC error illuminate for few seconds and goes off after a while?

Skoda workshop tells me this is the case with all skoda style MT variants. In the L&K variant, there is a button to switch it off. Is this true?
Old 28th August 2022, 16:12   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
A small query. When you take your car over uneven roads / undulations, does the ESC error illuminate for few seconds and goes off after a while?

Skoda workshop tells me this is the case with all skoda style MT variants. In the L&K variant, there is a button to switch it off. Is this true?
Not always, but ESC does blink if I am accelerating over broken roads or a wet patch. But at moderate speeds (I am a sedate driver) no. ESC also blinks if I am overtaking or doing a very quick one quick one at a low gear. ESC can also be turned OFF from CAR section in the head unit.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 17:14   #1343
BHPian

Quote:
Not always, but ESC does blink if I am accelerating over broken roads or a wet patch. But at moderate speeds (I am a sedate driver) no. ESC also blinks if I am overtaking or doing a very quick one quick one at a low gear. ESC can also be turned OFF from CAR section in the head unit.
Thank a ton for your prompt response. I am a sedate driver too and yes have experienced it over broken roads and wet patches. Not yet experienced it while overtaking.

I assumed it cannot be turned off. Thanks for letting me know. Is it of great use in the city? Should I keep it on or off? What do you suggest?
Old 28th August 2022, 17:17   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2285 View Post
Thank a ton for your prompt response. I am a sedate driver too and yes have experienced it over broken roads and wet patches....What do you suggest?
Keep it on. It's not a botheration. I believe it's because of the huge torque and some wheelspin that the car interprets as ESC issue. The tyres aren't stellar, you see.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 28th August 2022 at 17:24.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 21:23   #1345

Hello All,

I have recently purchased pre worshipped Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI MT 2014 model in a heart over head decision.

One of my relative got burned in different city few years ago by dealer when there were issues in name transfer and dealer did not help.

I am very nervous about this purchase and going tomorrow to Skoda service center with car to get few items like ABS sensor, Memory seats sorted out. I have a list of minor items and things to check. I hope it's ok to give it there for few days when RTO process is not complete? I have delivery note copy. Dealer has started process of getting NOC and I will make sure to get acknowledgement from service center after dropping car there.

I will also try to make sure service center does not try to upsell me on repairs but it's easier said than done. I do have a good feeling about this SA working with me. But dealer from which I purchased car knows people at service center too.

I didn't want to buy new superb as planning to buy electric luxury sedan in 2-3 years

Thank you
SuperbNavigator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2022, 11:32   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
My friend's passat got water damaged recently and the control unit(under the seat) which controls the electronic seat adjustment isn't working now, is there a way to source this? Moreover is this unit common between passat and superb? His passat is the last generation which was sold.

The seat is not moving front and back but rest other functions are working, and 360 camera isn't working. These are the 2 issues which he's facing after water got into the car.
Need some help for a friend, is this module common between Passat and superb?
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Superb : Official Review-img20220901wa0025.jpg  

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img20220901wa0027.jpg  

Old 6th October 2022, 10:25   #1347
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bro reported this last night. Started car after a week, so could it be due to low voltage (Low voltage situations & weak batteries | The bane of German cars)? Notice how error messages are almost identical in nature to what I saw in my 530d with the weak battery.

Am going to check it in a bit. Am guessing:

- Low battery. Does Skoda have a way to check the voltage through the MID like BMWs?

- Rat damage? Seriously hope not!

- Some electronic failure. If so, damn you Skoda-VW & your reliability.

Skoda Superb : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221006-07.30.59.jpeg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221006-07.31.001.jpeg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221006-07.31.002.jpeg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20221006-07.31.00.jpeg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 11:24   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
8 months into the purchase, my Superb started triggering issues related to the battery. Non-essential like cabin lights, infotainment, touch lock/unlock etc would stop working within 10 seconds of killing the ignition. I don't have the photos now, but, as per Skoda, this was their 1st in India(possibly WW), they took my car in for 2 days, ran a battery() of tests and were no wiser after. Why - they tested a brand new and the existing battery side by side. Reports of both were identical - good battery.

What helped was, the issue went away when they replaced existing with a new one. They knew this on day#1 but had to run the tests to claim the warranty. So a happy ending overall.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 12:22   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bro reported this last night.
- Low battery. Does Skoda have a way to check the voltage through the MID like BMWs?
But the car started on its own or did it need a jump start?

You can't check the voltage but only the SOC can be checked. Immediately after turning off the ignition, press and hold the trip reset button and it's toggle through "TIME" and "BATTERY SOC", release it on the second screen and it'll display the SOC on the MFD for a few seconds. Take a photo of that so keep the camera handy before doing this. New Superb came with AGM batteries and we thought the issue of dreaded battery failures was behind us. But like you said the car was started after a week, and assuming the car runs mostly in the city, could be insufficient charge during running. Run the car for around 50 KM and park it overnight and use your trickle charger to charge it properly. Observe for next two days in routine usage. Doing this will save time at the workshop where they will anyway do all this and ultimately give you a new battery.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2022, 14:39   #1350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bro reported this last night. Started car after a week, so could it be due to low voltage (Low voltage situations & weak batteries | The bane of German cars)? Notice how error messages are almost identical in nature to what I saw in my 530d with the weak battery.

Am going to check it in a bit. Am guessing:

- Rat damage? Seriously hope not!

Most likely battery but its quite early. Unfortunately no ways to check battery voltage in the Skoda.

Since you own a BMW and Skoda you really should get a simple OBD module for all these errors. The OBD module will show battery charge status and voltage in detail as well as what all errors are popping up and the code.

https://www.amazon.in/Veepeak-OBDChe...73XKQQQW&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluet...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed