Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 11:48   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb tops survey: Best car to own in the UK: India too?

Everyone knows skoda cars are something of a marvel in that segment. In India the skoda service is poles opposite to what their cars are.

Superb is skipped my many not because of the car but because of the brand. Sell superb under VW and it may actually sell more for people think VW is way better than Skoda.

To me Skoda is an affordable merc.
Old 9th June 2017, 11:52   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb tops survey: Best car to own in the UK: India too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
The Skoda Superb has topped the Driver Power survey, one of the biggest in the UK, conducted by Auto Express and the best car, across segments is the Skoda Superb with an overall score of 93.42...!!!

Source: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-ca...r-2017-results
The Skoda Superb might be an excellent proposition in the U.K, but it's only a pipe dream for people who even have money in our country. It's quite obvious why:

- Poor After sales and fraudulent dealers
- Inability of the infamous 7 speed DSG to deal with Indian Traffic and weather conditions
- Delivery issues with many cars on launch including the Octavia and the Superb
- Lack of knowledge portrayed by Skoda India on many issues with cars and poor responses to customers
- No new products introduced for the mass market. Very sluggish response times!

I think Skoda still has a long way to go when it comes to developing countries. You can clearly see that there is a lack of communication between Skoda and it's Indian arm, although the cars themselves are exceptional.

Regards,
Vishy
Old 9th June 2017, 14:29   #183
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDelight View Post
Finally I got delivery of the TSI 1.8 DSG L&K
I have taken a 7 speed DSG risk
Few updates in so called MY17 car.

The infotainment system is 8 inch with navigation. Probably amundsen.
Tyres are Apollo 215/55 R17 94w.
There are no storages underneath front seats.
Rest looks same.
Hi, May I ask you your ownership experience with the car. My annual run is less than 8000 kms and so the petrol variant seems to be on my mind but reading some of the comments I get a feeling that Diesel is the recommended option when going in for the Superb.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:06   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
Hi, May I ask you your ownership experience with the car. My annual run is less than 8000 kms and so the petrol variant seems to be on my mind but reading some of the comments I get a feeling that Diesel is the recommended option when going in for the Superb.
That is purely for the more reliable gearbox present in the Diesel (6 speed AT).

In terms of performance, I would prefer to not comment on the diesel engine post dieselgate scandal, but the petrol on it's own is whole lot of fun to drive!
I would pick one up with my eyes closed, but only if it came with a better gearbox.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:36   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
That is purely for the more reliable gearbox present in the Diesel (6 speed AT).

In terms of performance, I would prefer to not comment on the diesel engine post dieselgate scandal, but the petrol on it's own is whole lot of fun to drive!
I would pick one up with my eyes closed, but only if it came with a better gearbox.
The engine in the superb (or the octavia) has nothing to do with the dieselgate scandal at all. That was related to the older EA 189 code 2.0 diesel engines. The newer EA 288 code engines used on the MQB are perfectly alright. The superb diesel in fact runs the 177 bhp map in the stock form and is a reasonable amount of fun to drive.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 16:03   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The engine in the superb (or the octavia) has nothing to do with the dieselgate scandal at all. That was related to the older EA 189 code 2.0 diesel engines. The newer EA 288 code engines used on the MQB are perfectly alright. The superb diesel in fact runs the 177 bhp map in the stock form and is a reasonable amount of fun to drive.
Thanks for pointing this out! I don't know how it slipped my mind given the various states of tunes of the older engine.

Definitely very reassuring as I currently am very disappointed with the EA189 post the de-tuning.
Old 10th June 2017, 09:50   #187
BHPian

My TSI L&K has completed 6 months and 6000km.
Very functional and dependable car.
I have daily run in bumper to bumper traffic.
Petrol engine is thirsty but very responsive. In city it barely gives 8kmpl mileage.

The only issues are related to fitting of plastics.
The glovebox compartment has alignment issues. The side compartments in boot (where woofer is placed) comes off very often.

I am happy that I did not go for diesel as price differential is too high.
DieselDelight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 17:56   #188
Senior - BHPian

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_3727.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_3726.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_3724.jpg

Skoda Superb : Official Review-img_3730.jpg

Test drove the Superb the other day, mighty impressed. Waiting for the pricing information post GST. The car we test drove was Diesel L&K but the model we are interested in is petrol Style MT. Pre GST pricing was 32 Lakhs on road.
ecenandu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2017, 18:48   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

To me Skoda is an affordable merc.
Every line so true. And the last one is epic. Skoda is an affordable Merc. That's exactly what I feel.
Old 10th July 2017, 17:56   #190
Senior - BHPian

Just took delivery of the new superb petrol L& K version and I must say that I am mighty impressed with the features and performance. At first I was very skeptical about going for a Petrol version as I was aware of poor mileage issues, however recently I did a trip from Mumbai to Pune and back and drove on the expressway and through traffic keeping the car in Eco mode. I was pleasantly surprised that i got an average mileage of around 12 km/l. The suspension and road holding is also great and in the sports mode the car is very swift! I must say that for that price i would pick a superb over its competition any day.
the mole is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 21:28   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Just took delivery of the new superb petrol L& K version and I must say that I am mighty impressed with the features and performance. At first I was very skeptical about going for a Petrol version as I was aware of poor mileage issues, however recently I did a trip from Mumbai to Pune and back and drove on the expressway and through traffic keeping the car in Eco mode. I was pleasantly surprised that i got an average mileage of around 12 km/l. The suspension and road holding is also great and in the sports mode the car is very swift! I must say that for that price i would pick a superb over its competition any day.
Congratulations! Superb is a fantastic ride. Mileage for the petrol seems good. I managed to take out 18-20 on highways on my diesel 3T DSG before the dieselgate fix. Haven't hit the highway after the update.
3T petrol DSG was known to have mechatronics failures. Hope they've improved upon that now in the petrol DSG.
Old 11th August 2017, 12:09   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
• You can buy an Octavia Diesel MT or a Superb Petrol MT, but not vice versa.

[/i]

Brilliant detailing in the review there. We're currently planning on buying the Octavia, and while reading up on the same, managed to come across this review.

While the top spec Tsi Octavia and the style variant Superb MT are price almost the same, I think the Superb MT it is!! All thanks to your review.

One, I think the Superb just looks better specially after the FL Octavia launch.

And two, MT!!! What with 320 nm on tap!!!

I currently own a GT Tsi and have put on the GTI steering wheel with the paddle shifters. While the entire dynamics of the car are great (enough has been said and is used about it on the forum) specially during my goa Pune drives, and the ghat sections, I do miss MT.

Unfortunately, like many even I had to book the car just on the basis of reviews as VW couldn't manage to procure a car for TDs at the the time of purchase.
I was even behind them for so long to TD the manual 1.4 Tsi Jetta. It was just like talking to a wall!
Skoda stepped in last month to arrange a TD for their 1.4 MT Octavia which now has 150 Bhp. It's not bad at all, but it's not 1.8 either!

I'm still trying to search for a long term review on the 1.8 Superb MT.
Hopefully I should be able to get my hands on one soon enough!
Old 10th September 2017, 15:20   #193
BHPian

I have booked MY18 Superb L&K 1.8 TSI AT Business Grey color. Dealer promised to invoice the car at pre-cess hike price. Haven't seen the Business Grey in flesh. Went with that color since it is reserved only for L&K. Hope it looks good. The only other color that looked good was white but skipped it since I already have a previuos generation white.

MY18 supposedly comes with few extras over MY17 like handsfree parking, bigger flush glass entertainment system, wireless screen mirroring and some NVH improvements. No idea if anything gone missing from the existing feature set.

Does anyone know if Skoda has gone for FL Octavia like front for the MY18 Superb. I hope they haven't messed it up.

Last edited by novice : 10th September 2017 at 15:25.
Old 11th September 2017, 01:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
I have booked MY18 Superb L&K 1.8 TSI AT Business Grey color. Dealer promised to invoice the car at pre-cess hike price.
Congrats. I booked the 1.8TSI MT Style last Thursday at pre-cess hike price too. In Style, there was only white available in the factory as per Vinayak Cars.

Quote:
MY18 supposedly comes with few extras over MY17 like handsfree parking, bigger flush glass entertainment system, wireless screen mirroring and some NVH improvements. No idea if anything gone missing from the existing feature set.
MY18 has the following additional features as per dealer:

Style : 3-zone climatronic (earlier it was dual-zone), Boss-connect App
L&K - Handsfree parking, Boss Connect App, Sleep Package (Rear headrests etc)

8" Amundsen with Navigation was already standard on Model Year 2017 if I am right. Dealer claims nothing was removed from MY 2017, let's see.
Quote:
Does anyone know if Skoda has gone for FL Octavia like front for the MY18 Superb. I hope they haven't messed it up.
I don't think Superb has any change even internationally on the front end. So, I think its the same.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 11th September 2017 at 01:10.
Old 13th September 2017, 19:51   #195
Senior - BHPian

Seems Skoda has increased prices for Octavia, RS, but Superb prices are unchanged after the cess hike (for MY18, they had increased by ~30k pre hike for the additional features added) ? Or error on Skoda website.

Most Viewed