Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2016, 15:59   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Some investigation on cost structure of BR-V from my side, and after I present this bit of information, you can decide whether it is overpriced or not. I hope this is clinching and conclusive evidence.

1) Swift ZXi costs Rs. 7.84 Lacs and Swift ZDi costs Rs. 9.2 Lacs

2) Ertiga Zxi costs Rs. 10.22 Lacs and Ertiga Zdi costs Rs. 11.15 Lacs

3) This means converting the Swift into a 7 seater (Ertiga) has cost Suzuki approximately Rs. 2 Lacs!.

4) Assuming that Suzuki is the benchmark for car engineering, we can safely assume that - had BR-V been a compact 5 seater SUV like Brezza/Creta, it would have been Rs. 2 Lacs cheaper

5) Special note to CrazyDriver: I know you are a stickler for details and that Swift and Ertiga have slightly different engines. But Ertiga's seats are low on features (they do not tumble like BR-Vs). Because of this, Ertiga is a flawed 7 seater in the sense that when you fold the 3rd row, the Ertiga becomes an Alto in terms of 2nd row legroom. Because of non-tumbling seats, getting into Ertiga 3rd row is more difficult than in BR-V. The cost of proper seats cancels out the cost of bigger engines is the assumption in this analysis

6) So if you want a proper 7 seater like BR-V with high quality seats, Rs. 2 Lacs is what it costs and that is what you are paying.

7) Subtracting 2 Lacs from BR-V's prices, the diesel range of BR-V 5 seater would have started from Rs 10 to 14 Lacs on road Bangalore. Compares pretty well with the Brezzza prices - Rs. 10.7 to Rs. 14 Lacs.

8) Extending the logic to Creta, had it been a 7 seater like the BR-V, each model have been Rs. 2 Lacs more expensive than it is now.

9) While BR-V petrol/auto/diesel ranges from Rs. 10.7 to Rs.16.2 Lacs, Creta 7 seater's price range would have been Rs. 13.2 Lacs to Rs. 20.2 Lacs on road Bangalore.

10) I rest my case

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st June 2016 at 16:02.
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 16:42   #227
s10
BHPian

I guess this 6-7 seater + CVT combination is tempting for many like me. I booked it 2-3 weeks back but not hearing any date from the dealer. I think they have got too many bookings.

In fact I am surprised to see the arrogance from sales guy. Not telling any details about my booking, just said that you won't get it in June and I don't know anything beyond. Is there a way to track that my booking placement with Honda?

Seriously overpriced product with arrogant dealer is really putting me off . Am I making the right decision OR I am stupid!
Old 1st June 2016, 17:00   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10 View Post
I guess this 6-7 seater + CVT combination is tempting for many like me. I booked it 2-3 weeks back but not hearing any date from the dealer. I think they have got too many bookings.

In fact I am surprised to see the arrogance from sales guy. Not telling any details about my booking, just said that you won't get it in June and I don't know anything beyond. Is there a way to track that my booking placement with Honda?

Seriously overpriced product with arrogant dealer is really putting me off . Am I making the right decision OR I am stupid!
All of us are in the same boat. I have pre-booked in April, with no clarity on my allotment or my priority number of any sort. My take is don't waste your time calling your dealer and losing your head. Check tbhp, every 2 hours for confirmed updates..
I have heard various stories like just diesel is being manufactured to take on Delhi & NCR's fallout from Innova's sales and that Petrol MT will start from July and CVT to start later in August.
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 17:13   #229
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s10 View Post

I'm probably the first on Team-BHP to book the CVT version, and 2nd with my dealer.

1) I was initially promised delivery in May 2016 end, but now it has been postponed to June end.

2) The guy ahead of me in the queue (at the dealer) will be getting delivery in middle of June. Apparently, if he does not take delivery, this will be offered to me.

In 7 seater automatic category (10 to 20 Lacs), your other choices are -

Ertiga VXi AT (4 speed torque convertor)
Lodgy AMT (supposed to be launched in July)
XUV 500 W6 AT (6 speed torque convertor)
Innova Crysta GX AT (6 speed torque convertor)

One important point is that Honda hasn't given much thought to VX Variant of BR-V. For Rs. 1.25 Lacs premium over V variant, all you get is leather interiors. LED Guide lights probably cost Rs. 1,000. Nobody is sure if "heat absorbing windshield" works or not. Instead, Honda could have put all the features of Honda City into the BR-V for this kind of premium (Rs. 1.25 Lacs), if they had opted for something like leatherette (rather than very high quality leather).

So when evaluating and comparing, its best to consider the prices of V variant of Honda BR-V, rather than VX variant.

Last edited by noopster : 2nd June 2016 at 14:26. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 1st June 2016, 18:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
[b]
1) Swift ZXi costs Rs. 7.84 Lacs and Swift ZDi costs Rs. 9.2 Lacs

2) Ertiga Zxi costs Rs. 10.22 Lacs and Ertiga Zdi costs Rs. 11.15 Lacs

3) This means converting the Swift into a 7 seater (Ertiga) has cost Suzuki approximately Rs. 2 Lacs!.
By this logic, shouldn't we assume it should take Honda 2 lacs to turn the Brio into a 7 seater and that is what the price should be?
The Brio VX ex-showroom price in Bangalore is 5.8 lacs.
nd4$pd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 19:28   #231
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4$pd View Post
By this logic, shouldn't we assume it should take Honda 2 lacs to turn the Brio into a 7 seater and that is what the price should be?
The Brio VX ex-showroom price in Bangalore is 5.8 lacs.
You are going the other way, but sure why not? While comparing Swift with Ertiga is easy because they both have roughly the same features. Brio to BR-V comparison is a toughie, but lets try -

a) Brio VX on road Bangalore price is Rs. 6.9 Lacs.
b) Add 2 Lacs to Brio for 7 seater conversion.
c) The price of Brio is now Rs. 8.9 Lacs
d) BR-V petrol in V trim (manual) costs Rs. 13.69 Lacs.

The real difference in prices is Rs. 4.8 Lacs. Now this is what you are getting for Rs. 4.8 lacs -

- SUV styling (chrome bling, flared wheel arches, black cladding, roof rails). Note that this is not applicable for Swift to Ertiga conversion.
- 1.5 litre engine (in lieu of Brio's 1.2 litre engine). See previous post regarding Ertiga's 1.4 litre engine, and why I did not consider it.
- 16 inch alloys with 195/60 tyres (for BRV) in lieu of 14 inch alloys with 175/65 tyres of Brio
- Projector headlamps
- Amaze dashboard
- City's instrument cluster
- Engine start/stop button
- Automatic climate control
- Electric folding mirrors

Is it worth paying Rs. 4.8 Lacs for the above? If you have an intention of saying NO, then you will have to justify the price difference between

ELITE I20 AND CRETA

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st June 2016 at 19:31.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 19:46   #232
BHPian

Just took a short 1-2KM TD of the CVT. Not enough to judge completely but still...

Its smooth, that's for sure. But the good stuff ends there.

You push the gas pedal a bit & mostly what you get, is that the engine will groan.The acceleration comes minimal & perceptibly delayed.

Whats happening here? where's the bloody i-Vtec ??

For an AT noob like me- this could be a good demo sample of the CVT Rubber Band effect.

In short, a bit underwhelming first date.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 20:31   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

For the month of May 2016, the BR-V is off to a semi-decent start with dealer dispatch numbers of 2,344 units.

It slots into the 3rd spot for Honda, after the City (3,305) and the Jazz (2,473).

Motoroids

Last edited by RavenAvi : 1st June 2016 at 20:33.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 20:57   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Whats happening here? where's the bloody i-Vtec ??

For an AT noob like me- this could be a good demo sample of the CVT Rubber Band effect.
CVT rubber band effect at play there. Did you try using the paddle shifters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
For the month of May 2016, the BR-V is off to a semi-decent start with dealer dispatch numbers of 2,344 units.

It slots into the 3rd spot for Honda, after the City (3,305) and the Jazz (2,473).
Was the plant shutdown or something? 9954 units is less than half their production capacity I believe. Amaze, Brio, Mobilio all below 1000 dispatches! Looks to be some sort of production constraints.

Also, this month BRV sales should not be taken as warm or decent or poor. There are enough bookings I guess for few months. Even members with pre-bookings haven't received the confirmation. Real market response can be judged only after the initial bookings are cleared.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 21:03   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
In short, a bit underwhelming first date.
There is a tiny learning curve. Read the Team BHP review again on how to use the gearbox. You could also do a "CVT advantages" or "CVT Vs" Youtube search to learn more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Was the plant shutdown or something?
I wonder if this "Brownfield expansion" has something to do with lower production in recent months.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...7_6566401.html
Old 1st June 2016, 21:29   #236
BHPian

Quote:

Is it worth paying Rs. 4.8 Lacs for the above? If you have an intention of saying NO, then you will have to justify the price difference between

ELITE I20 AND CRETA
Oh I absolutely do not think the Creta offers anything other than higher ground clearance over the elite i20 and doesn't justify the premium it commands.
But I also do not think the BR-V's pricing is justified.
Perhaps there is more value to the "SUV styling", than I can comprehend, in both cases.
nd4$pd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 22:54   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

OT but Honda seems to have taken a whipping on their backsides. Forget the BR-V as it includes dealer dispatches etc. But look at the overall sales and especially the City! What I have been saying seems to have come true that with dismal quality and taking customers for granted, it's only a matter of time till you can fool people.

Till sometime last year, Honda was fighting for 3rd with M&M but now it's at half of M&M. Time to wake up Honda before you get shifted to the bottom-5 manufacturers. Some serious boardroom planning and implementation ahead... hopefully!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 1st June 2016 at 22:58.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2016, 23:55   #238
BHPian

Quote:

ELITE I20 AND CRETA
Smartcat, firstly congrats on booking your new car.

You are buying the BR-V simply because it suits your requirement. The posts you have made are informative and useful, but I feel you are trying defending your decision, come on mate, its your car and you don't need to justify to anyone why you are buying BR-V

And then coming to i20 and Creta, the i20 averages about 9k and the Creta a cool 7k units a month. I think thats enough justification. Add to that additional costs due to >4 metre length, bigger engine, SUVish looks, different dash board, additional airbags and its a size bigger

Quote:
- 1.5 litre engine (in lieu of Brio's 1.2 litre engine). See previous post regarding Ertiga's 1.4 litre engine, and why I did not consider it.
- Amaze dashboard
- City's instrument cluster
- Engine start/stop button
- Automatic climate control
- Electric folding mirrors

Is it worth paying Rs. 4.8 Lacs for the above?
These parts are shared among the cars and hence should result in cost savings.
Hence I would say NO, its not worth 4.8 lacs.

Having said that I agree that the BR- is a unique practical package. But the only gripe is Honda is capable of much better. And BTW I'm curiously looking forward for your ownership report.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 2nd June 2016 at 00:07.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 00:08   #239
BHPian

Amaze as well gets a 100PS engine and it's the same 100PS engine on BR-V. The only difference being the BR-V gets the 6th gear. Why can't Honda do some differentiation here? Offer more power on the BR-V in comparison to the C1 segment sedan? Too much of an ask for Honda?
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2016, 00:30   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Chandra View Post

You are buying the BR-V simply because it suits your requirement. The posts you have made are informative and useful, but I feel you are trying defending your decision, come on mate, its your car and you don't need to justify to anyone why you are buying BR-V
I hope I have not offended anybody - if yes, that was definitely not intentional.

See, I'm interested in CARS but I'm equally interested in NUMBERS. I just try to put these two things together, analyze them and see if they reveal anything. Check out these threads I had created many years ago -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-ranking.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-reckoner.html

The above exercise seems to be an awful waste of time, but oddly, these two threads directly and indirectly helped me choose my current profession! (I'm a stock market trader)
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks