Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2016, 16:22   #421
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
And crazy product placement as well- Jazz/Amaze get L mode CVT , but City/BRV doesnt (in India)
You got it wrong - City SV CVT has the L mode. But, the VX CVT comes with Paddle shift. Probably, Paddle shifters replaced L mode !

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2016, 20:01   #422
BHPian

^^ That would actually be another example of Honda's dumbness -lower variant gets it, higher doesn't !
Old 1st July 2016, 10:43   #423
BHPian

^^ Buddy, Paddle shifters + sports mode combination are to be used when you feel its need. This combination would give you more control than a simple "L" mode.
I dont see any dumbness in not offering "L" while we have Paddle Shifters !

"lower variant gets it, higher doesnt" - Sounds like you get one extra button in a lower variant, but that button is missing in the higher ! NO, thats not how I see it.
Paddle Shifters are more superior and provides more/better control than the "L" mode.

Its your turn to get convinced

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2016, 12:49   #424
Team-BHP Support

There is a Honda BR-V CVT Vs Hyundai Creta Petrol AT road test in Overdrive, but strangely, as separate articles

Honda BR-V CVT Verdict:

Quote:
The BR-V CVT would have felt more premium and fit better into this segment if Honda had simply taken components off the Jazz or City instead of the Amaze. The BR-V lacks a certain something in this segment that I can’t quite put my finger on. And no, it’s not just a touchscreen
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-hon...d-test-review/

Hyundai Creta Petrol AT Verdict:

Quote:
At Rs 15.66 lakh on-road, Mumbai, the Creta petrol auto is not exactly affordable. The similarly specced EcoSport is priced nearly Rs 4 lakh less than the Creta. The BR-V auto in the meanwhile with an extra set of seats is a lakh cheaper. That however is a story for another day. In the meanwhile, if you’re looking for a premium looking everyday runabout which can also tackle the highways with ease, the petrol Creta auto is the one for you.
http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-hyu...d-test-review/

The difference in fuel economy between 6-speed Torque Convertor AT (Creta) and CVT (BR-V) is huge

Creta petrol AT City: 9 kmpl
Creta petrol AT Highway: 12 kmpl

BRV Petrol CVT City: 11 kmpl
BRV Petrol CVT Highway: 18 kmpl
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 12:43   #425
BHPian

Honda ships 3052 BR-V in June. Not exactly setting the charts on fire. Hmmm..
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 13:40   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Honda ships 3052 BR-V in June. Not exactly setting the charts on fire. Hmmm..
On the other hand, that figure makes it the second highest in Honda lineup and only about 500 units less than the City. It also is in line with the initial targets of 3k units per month announced by Honda.

Honda has announced that the numbers are less due to the decline in sales of diesels variants and huge stocks left with dealers for diesel variants. Coming months will portray a more accurate picture.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.first...-android-oppo#
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 22:26   #427
Team-BHP Support

Honda managed to produce 5000+ Mobilios per month (for a few months) without much trouble. Although I do understand that Honda had a target of just 3000/month, I wonder why they don't crank up production temporarily to 5000 per month and clear out all the initial bookings.
Unless marketing folks believe that having a waiting list is a good thing for Honda BR-V. You know, when a sales guy says "No sir, there is a waiting list of 3 months", it does give an impression that BR-V is a hot selling model

Paid advertorial/travelogue with Honda BR-V from Autocar India. Watch it if you want to see some unintentional comedy.

Last edited by SmartCat : 2nd July 2016 at 22:31.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2016, 23:47   #428
BHPian

Where are the BRVs? I spot atleast two Crystas every day, but have come across only two BRVs since launch. Is it a flop already or Honda moving slowly?
Old 3rd July 2016, 01:41   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Paid advertorial/travelogue with Honda BR-V from Autocar India. Watch it if you want to see some unintentional comedy.
Ha ha, funny guys, camera and acting was ok, the screenplay and dialogues really nailed it!

I did love the off-roading part though!

What next I wonder, "The Hunt Begins" bollywood movie?! ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Looks like you got yourself a big bonus, steering mounted call controls, which otherwise are missing in the BR-V. Can the steering controls be configured even with the OEM unit?
Well, thanks to a pic posted by smartcat, I could make out the model # of the stock HU, its a Mitsubishi AR 0H, and google quickly gave me the link for the FCC docs of this, which has, apart from external and internal pics, the user manual of this!

FCC Mitsubishi UJH AR 0H

Honda BR-V : Official Review-stock-hu-mitsubishi-ar0h-external-pic.jpg (Compare with the image from the BRV review, click here)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-stock-hu-mitsubishi-ar0h-internal-pic.jpg

Stock HU Mitsubishi AR0H - User Manual.pdf

And this user manual at least does not mention any way to change the pre-set functions of the steering controls!

Any one can suggest a way out, how to change the audio controls to telephony ones using stock HU?

It would be a HUGE bonus indeed!

Finally, looks like media is tracking each 1k sale of the BRV lately, after the 9k, 10k reports, here is the 11k report:

Honda BR-V overall bookings rise to 11,000

Last edited by Hvt77 : 3rd July 2016 at 01:50.
Hvt77 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:52   #430
BHPian

Hello All,

Completed 1K Kms yesterday while returning back from Pune. There was an absolutely heavy rain spell in the Ghat and in the patch between Kamshet and the tunnel. Following are my notes

1. Absolutely good drive in terms of visibility and handling during the heavy heavy rains
2. The pick up and overtaking was really easy and effortless (average speed 80)
3. Got an average of 22 KMPL including the heaviest traffic experienced on the Pune Bypass as well as within the Pune city. (I have the i-DTEC model)
4. There were questions from people where I parked my car and the obvious looks whenever you see the new car model on-road. General expression after revealing the price of the V trim iDTEC model was like WHAT... thats expesive. Which I tend to agree .

Anyway, I am happy with the purchase and happy with the first 1K ride.
preetamkabra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 19:34   #431
Team-BHP Support

Just came back from a drive to Nandi hills. This destination is perfect for testing out a car because it involves 15 kms of city traffic, 30 kms on a 3+3 lane expressway, 15 kms on a 2 laned highway, 10 kms on a winding hilly road and 5 kms of hairpin bends.

My review of Honda BR-V 1.5 iVTEC V CVT:

GOOD:

- Chunky good looks & styling. One of the best OEM alloy design. Connected rear tail lamps unique. BR-V attracts surprising amount of attention on the road, even from kids!

- Airy cabin with large windows. Practical tumbling & reclining 2nd/3rd row seats. Higher driver seating position (than my old Honda Civic) means no lower back pain!

- Large boot space with 3rd row up.

- Small dimensions, chuckability & CVT makes for a city friendly car.

- Features that CANNOT be fitted aftermarket are all standard -> keyless entry & go, electric folding mirrors, paddle shifts, climate control and roof mounted AC.

- Decent stock speakers and powerful projector headlamps, no need to upgrade.

- After living with beige interiors for 12 years with two different cars, the all black interiors of the BR-V’s a breath of fresh air. Dashboard and instrument console are stylish too.

- Once you get to know the engine + transmission characteristics (and not step on the accelerator like you would on a manual), you can completely eliminate CVT rubber band effect - and still keep up with the traffic.

- Steering is slack-free and feels well weighted in ghats and at highway speeds.

- 210 mm ground clearance means underbody does not scrape anywhere.

- Honda City-like fuel economy. CVT ensures that engine is almost always spinning between 1000 to 2500 RPM.

- Sounds clichéd these days, but BR-V has car-like handling in city, highways, ghats and hairpin bends. No body roll at all.

- Cold air intake and smoked headlamps are standard. How unique is that?

- Past good experiences with Honda’s reliability and service (wrt Honda City and Honda Civic).

- Strong safe body structure. 4 star NCAP safety rating

BAD:

- BR-V CVT’s overall driving experience is more Jagjit Singh, and less Milkha Singh!

- Nicely damped. Spring loaded. Felt lined. Double stitched. Soft touch. Well, these are some of the words you will NOT be able to use to describe the interiors. Attention to detail is quite poor at places.

- PRNDS on gearbox is not backlit. First time AT users might find this difficult.

- Hatchback or sedan drivers will notice that ride quality has a hard edge to it, especially in bad city roads. Occupants in the 2nd row are thrown around a bit too.

- Steering feels a bit too light at city speeds

- Looks odd when viewed from certain angles.

- ESP, Hill Hold & cruise control missing from Indian BR-V.

- CVT costs Rs. 1.4 Lacs over the manual.

- Brio platform means 2nd row seat width is Ertiga like.

- Knees-up sitting position in the 3rd row for adults.

UGLY (but fixable):

- Chrome strip at the back.

- Rolls back on very steep inclines

- Wind/Tyre roar is on the higher side at highway speeds

- Narrow 195 width tyres (Honda trait, always 20 mm lower than segment standard)

- Front armrest, Touchscreen AVN, parking sensors, leather interiors and reversing camera missing from standard features list.
SmartCat is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 09:36   #432
BHPian

@smartcat: I hope that you would have TD'ed the Creta AT as well.

Do you think that dropping the 7-seater requirement, would make Creta , the better contender of the two?
Old 5th July 2016, 10:59   #433
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@smartcat: I hope that you would have TD'ed the Creta AT as well. Do you think that dropping the 7-seater requirement, would make Creta , the better contender of the two?
Creta AT was never in contention - so did not even consider it, let alone a TD. My only contenders were Ertiga AT, XUV 500 AT and perhaps pre-owned Captiva AT and pre-owned old gen Endeavour AT.

BHPian XPlora test drove both BR-V and Creta, before putting the money on the former. He will have a good idea about strengths and weaknesses of Creta/BR-V.

BHPian CrazyDriver and myself are planning a BR-V CVT Vs Creta 1.6 base diesel Vs Duster AWD photoshoot/comparison this month (with the help of our friends' cars). That should be interesting!
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 11:43   #434
BHPian

I was watching the latest episode of Top Gear yesterday where they test drove the Accura (Honda) NSX. When they were showing the tail lights, I reckon there is a striking similarity. Check the pictures. Of course, both belong to totally different segments hence the designs are also different, but the similarity in terms of the continuous strip is very much the same.
Biggest difference is that the entire strip of the NSX lights up, where the middle part of the BRV is just for the looks enhancement. Boy, how I wish that the strip also lit up. It would look just beautiful.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-2013acuransxconcepttaillight.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-hondabrv05.jpg  

preetamkabra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:29   #435
BHPian

Quote:
@smartcat: I hope that you would have TD'ed the Creta AT as well.

Do you think that dropping the 7-seater requirement, would make Creta , the better contender of the two?
It is not just a 7 seater vs 5 seater debate. I had booked the Creta Petrol AT, as I don't have much use of a 7 seater. My conclusion:

If you are looking for SUVish high seating / don't need much space / better fit and finish and most importantly Diesel MT or AT.. go for Creta. Diesel BR-V is no match for Creta's CRDI.

If you are looking for a petrol AT ( which I was ) then it definitely tilts towards the BR-V. iVtec + CVT + Paddle shifters are a better combo than VTVT + TC. In addition you get:

- Better GC
- Airy Cabin (this is a very under-rated design feature but makes a huge difference)
- Extra space
- 7 seater with various space / seat combos
- Car-like driving and handling
- Better brakes
- Better Ingress - Egress
- Better pricing
- Novelty factor being a new 2016 car ( vs Creta, if you are into such things )

Smartcat has put it comprehensively in his report. Features of BR-V cannot be replicated in Creta, while what you get in Creta can be added after-market in BR-V from the money you save.

PS: It also comes to personal likes and dislikes. I prefer BR-Vs front look and lamp cluster over Creta's. I also prefer the Dash design of BR-V, not that Creta is bad, but that mauve-beige dash looks out of place and the faux carbon on BR-V with matte chrome looks really modern. Infact, almost all new Honda cars and SUVs are following that design styling. ( so much for low-rent amaze interiors argument . The moment Civic 2017 is launched in India suddenly BR-Vs interior design is "inspired" by Civics.

Overall fit and finish wise, Creta scores better than BR-V though.
-xplora- is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks