Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 15:22   #571
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Looking at BR-V sales in August, there is quite a high probability of you getting cash discounts on diesel variants. With petrol MT variants, you might get discounts on things like insurance etc. With CVT variant, you might just get a free Ganesha!
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 21:53   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecapri View Post
Colleagues - Let me know if am talking nuts

I was thinking yesterday whether it will be good if I wait for another quarter and book the car (BRV) in say late December early January. Typically dealers give some discount on cars manufactured in the "previous" year.

1- Since I intend to buy the car not as an investment I dont mind purchasing a 2015 make car in Jan 2017.
2- Since this is my second car I will not necessarily be too much of a disadvantage vis-a-vis "stuck at home with no commute" scenario
3- I get more time to save and reduce my loan amount
4- Money saved can be utilized to get more accessories on board (only useful ones of course)

Note to the moderator --> If this appears to be more of a "personal" query please feel free to delete. I also want to probe what is the attitude of the BRV dealers. Will they be ready for discounts. From the above posts I observe the number of bookings are going down.
I am going through exact thought process right now and can totally relate to it(all the points above). But going by Hondas history they don't discount until 1 year of bad sales. At least that's what I saw with the Jazz. Plus CVT is surely in demand. 2 mi the waiting it seems.
onelife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 22:29   #573

Glad that I am not the only one. I will definitely be going for Petrol only. Unless I win a lottery I will stick to Manual V model.
Ok I hear you guys ( onelife, Smartcat). I should not be expecting much discounts. Much thanks for your inputs.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:27   #574
Senior - BHPian

Is a diesel+auto combo on the cards anytime in the next six months?
Old 11th September 2016, 00:49   #575

I have bought a honda brv manual petrol V model 3 weeks ago. I am grateful to all your posts as it did help me a great deal in making my choice. It is also an honour to finally get to being a member of team bhp.

I chose the brv because I wanted a 7 seater. I have 2 kids 9 and 8 year olds and this would enable each of them to sleep in the second and third row when we go on long drives as a family. The ertiga had too small a boot while the crista was too pricey. The brv was the most practical option though it wouldnt be a value for money car. Having done 1000km and finishing my first service I personally feel the main negative feature of the brv is the poor rear visibility. I need to rely heavily of my side mirrors as the centre mirror gives a grossly inadequate view.

I chose tafetta white because
1. White cars statistically have lower accident rates especially at night/ twilight when visibility is low
2. White cars are about 5 degrees cooler on the inside
3. Dirt isnt easily seen on white cars.
4. The tafetta white is a bit cheaper.

Though Honda claims a mileage of 15.4kmpl for the manual petrol my mileage has been 16kmpl with a best reading of 16.7kmpl. I must admit that I use my car only for long distance travel like Vellore to Hogennekal or Vellore to Chennai. Like smart cat mentioned it helps to be light on the pedal and use the slight downslopes on the highways by being extra gentle on the accelerator. It really helps boost the mileage.

The dealers in Chennai/Vellore dont have seat covers or the back bumper metallic guard. It has been out of stock since the last 4 weeks with no definite date of arrival in sight. Is it okay to order these items online like on Amazon??

The petrol brv doesnt have a cover on the undersurface of the engine unlike the diesel version. My dealer told me that the diesel version required it to help minimise the noise produced by the engine. I felt he was just making it up as initially he wasnt even aware of this difference till I pointed it out to him. Does anyone have an idea as to why Honda didnt cover their petrol engine's underside?
John Roshan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2016, 08:39   #576
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Is a diesel+auto combo on the cards anytime in the next six months?
I don't think Honda has diesel + auto combo anywhere in the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roshan View Post
I have bought a honda brv manual petrol V model 3 weeks ago.
Congrats, you did not consider the VX variant? Looking at the number of MT customers who have picked the V (instead of VX) variant, Honda should have offered the features of international variant (Touchscreen HU, reversing camera, Hill start assist, ESP) in the VX variant - instead of full leather interiors.

Quote:
Having done 1000km and finishing my first service I personally feel the main negative feature of the brv is the poor rear visibility. I need to rely heavily of my side mirrors as the centre mirror gives a grossly inadequate view.
Mirror mounted reversing camera with display starts from Rs. 3000. However, do not mount this on the mirror because it vibrates a lot. Instead, place it somewhere on the dashboard. If you have a larger budget (Rs. 20,000), opt for a Touchscreen HU with reversing camera.

Quote:
The dealers in Chennai/Vellore dont have seat covers or the back bumper metallic guard. It has been out of stock since the last 4 weeks with no definite date of arrival in sight. Is it okay to order these items online like on Amazon??
1) Seat covers are available everywhere. Opt for either black colored ones or tan brown (Innova Crysta-like)

2) If you opt for black bumper metallic guard, won't it foul with the reversing camera's line of sight?

Quote:
My dealer told me that the diesel version required it to help minimise the noise produced by the engine.Does anyone have an idea as to why Honda didnt cover their petrol engine's underside?
It's because the petrol engine is placed higher up in the engine bay and hence does not need engine guard. Anyway, the engine protector from the diesel variant will not fit on petrol versions.
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 18:16   #577
BANNED

Hello everyone, Just did 1000 kms on my BR-V CVT Silver, Did a outstation trip last weekend of around 600 kms with 7 adults and in my case all adults were comfortable (we cannot compare to comfort of Innova though). it was a manageable ride for everyone and it was fun been together rather than going in 2 cars.

I got very low FE of 12 kmpl, not sure if its gonna increase with time and by my driving adjustments. What I felt to accelerate with these many adults car has to be moved out of ECO mode and that results in loosing average.

Will soon start ownership review.

Accessories fitted so far
1. Rear Bull Guard
2. Side Running Boards
3. Reverse cam with parking sensors
4. 4D mats
5. Roof Rack

I am very satisfied with sound quality, must say Honda has did a great job, will probably just add mono amp and a sub to OEM head-unit.

CVT is really convinient for bumper to bumper traffic and paddle shifters are fun too. This is first time I am driving any automatic so enjoying a lot
W@nnaR@ce is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 23:36   #578
Team-BHP Support

Honda BR-V launched in Philippines - it is fully loaded (electronic stability control, hill start assist, Touchscreen HU etc)
http://www.autoindustriya.com/auto-i...crossover.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@nnaR@ce View Post
I got very low FE of 12 kmpl, not sure if its gonna increase with time and by my driving adjustments. What I felt to accelerate with these many adults car has to be moved out of ECO mode and that results in loosing average.
Well, I think I started off with 12 kmpl too. Coming from a manual, the "natural" way to accelerate would be to progressively press the accelerator pedal till we reach the desired cruising speed, say 80 kmph. Then, we retract the accelerator pedal a bit to maintain that speed.

Instead, do this -

When accelerating, press the accelerator pedal slowly till the engine spins at around 1800 to 2000 RPM in D mode. Very likely the accelerator will only be 25% depressed. Then, SLOW DOWN further the pace at which you press the accelerator pedal. The transmission automatically picks a higher gear ratio and car speed keeps rising. Once you reach your desired cruising speed, HOLD the accelerator pedal at that position.

No, you won't be going slow this way. What you are basically doing is avoiding "wasted revs" - thereby saving fuel. This is why CVTs offer the best fuel economy. From 800 RPM idle, you go to 2000 RPM and stay there. You can get up to 100 kmph without crossing 2000 RPM. But with any other type of transmission, to achieve the above in good time, the engine has to spin faster - from 800 to 3000 RPM - as you shift through 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th/6th gears.

Anyway, as long as you are enjoying the drive, FE does not really matter. There is some pleasure/satisfaction in getting 16 to 18 kmpl, but that cannot be compared to engine spinning at say, 4000 RPM.

Quote:
Will soon start ownership review.
Do this - we don't have a single ownership review yet. I don't have one because my "BR-V review" is spread across last 12 pages of this thread, and a couple of other threads.

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th September 2016 at 23:52.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 16:11   #579
BANNED

What is the tyre pressure to be maintained in BRV? on Door panels its written 32 if travelling with 5 passengers and 32 front and 43 rear if travelling with 7 passengers.

What is the tyre pressure current owners are maintaining on there BR-V's?
Old 20th September 2016, 17:15   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I don't have one because my "BR-V review" is spread across last 12 pages of this thread, and a couple of other threads.
C'mon now! With so much of research and analysis done before picking up the BR-V CVT and then experiencing and learning so much out of it, a detailed ownership review will complement all your efforts.

Please write one for the benefit of a lot of potential buyers. Trust me, it is too difficult to scroll back and forth here and pick up your posts that has a lot of information. Instead, a single source like an ownership review will do full justice I would say.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 17:20   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
C'mon now! With so much of research and analysis done before picking up the BR-V CVT and then experiencing and learning so much out of it, a detailed ownership review will complement all your efforts.

Please write one for the benefit of a lot of potential buyers. Trust me, it is too difficult to scroll back and forth here and pick up your posts that has a lot of information. Instead, a single source like an ownership review will do full justice I would say.
Agree with parag. You seem to have the most experience with BRV and I could gain lot of insights through your messages spread across this thread. A single post will benefit a lot of us who are still sitting on the fence .
onelife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2016, 19:40   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by W@nnaR@ce View Post
What is the tyre pressure to be maintained in BRV? on Door panels its written 32 if travelling with 5 passengers and 32 front and 43 rear if travelling with 7 passengers. What is the tyre pressure current owners are maintaining on there BR-V's?
32 psi front and back, irrespective of number of passengers. Increasing rear tyre pressure from 32 to 43 (when travelling with 7 passengers) does not seem logical to me. The last 2 passengers are what? Baby elephants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Instead, a single source like an ownership review will do full justice I would say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelife View Post
A single post will benefit a lot of us who are still sitting on the fence .
Will check with the mods regarding possible duplication of content/photos (that is, too many posts and threads on BRV).

Meanwhile, here is one more thread where I have an update on my BRV -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...hting-kit.html

My BRV's interiors at night -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160915_195853_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160915_195859_1_p.jpg

Also, after a double application of 3M rubberized anti-rust coating on the wheel well and a single coat on the underbody, the noise levels inside the car was quite acceptable on my last drive.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160821_140413_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20160821_140421_1_p.jpg

However, I'm not quite sure about this - it could just be a "placebo effect". The internet says these type of coatings reduce the noise levels only by around 5%. Will keep an ear on the noise levels during my next long drive and report back.

Last edited by SmartCat : 20th September 2016 at 19:42.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 16:03   #583
Team-BHP Support

5 seater + tons of luggage configuration:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20160925_105733.jpg

Even with all that luggage on board, the rear suspension does not sag.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20160925_120210.jpg

One significant issue with all 7 seaters is that there is no "luggage privacy". Unlike a hatchback (that has a parcel tray) or a sedan (that has a metal boot), you don't feel confident about parking your car (with luggage inside) for a long time.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th September 2016 at 16:05.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 21:44   #584
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Also, after a double application of 3M rubberized anti-rust coating on the wheel well and a single coat on the underbody, the noise levels inside the car was quite acceptable on my last drive.

However, I'm not quite sure about this - it could just be a "placebo effect". The internet says these type of coatings reduce the noise levels only by around 5%. Will keep an ear on the noise levels during my next long drive and report back.
It isn't a placebo effect. The noise reduction is for real.

However, the effect varies from car to car. In a car with already good overall insulation, you may not be able to feel the effect of 3M rubberised coating in reducing noise.

In a car with poor overall insulation, the difference can be like that between night and day! Try taking a ride in any Datsun currently sold in India both before and after a professional application of the 3M underbody coating (the more expensive one with a 5-year warranty), and you'll be able to hear the difference loud and clear!
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2016, 19:32   #585
BANNED

Hi, I did a 700 km ride from Delhi - Jim Corbette - Nainital - Jim Corbette - Delhi.

Fuel economy with hills was around 14

While doing Jim Corbette to Delhi around 300 kms, with around 100kms of dual lane highway including 20kms no road (car speed around 10kms/he), and around 200 kms of proper highway including 30kms city ride, I got average of 19.38

I guess I am learning and getting used to CVT now, thanks to smartcat for the driving tip

Really impressed to get that kind of fuel economy from a petrol automatic engine.
W@nnaR@ce is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed