Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 18:41   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roshan View Post
I ."

I looked online and found a place in Bangalore that does it for 3800??

Hi, please share details of this bangalore vendor. Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:20   #602
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Hey guys,

Sorry for the 3 months absence on this group, particularly from this thread!

Was out of country from July to Sep, and since I stuck to my choice of Red color, we got the delivery of my V-CVT, 2 weeks after I had already departed from Mumbai, so my wife and daughter did the honors!

Car was lying in the parking lot since then, except when the service center driver picked it up and dropped it back after the 1st free service.

Stepped into the car the day I landed back, and the 1st thing I wanted to mention here (already told by someone before, I think): absolutely zero learning curve needed!

After 12 years of driving my beloved Santro (MT), I was very apprehensive about taking out this hulk (at least, relatively speaking), even to take it out of my cramped Mumbai stilt parking, but i found it tremendously maneuverable despite its length, and extremely easy to drive, thanks to car-like mannerisms, good seating height and CVT!

Since then, have done about 400 kms on it, about 50 kms on the western express highway, and another 70 on the eastern express highway, rest of the kms clocked only on the pathetic internal road from chandivali to powai (4-5 kms one way) and back!

FE on the highways touched 18-19 kms, but overall trip FE comes down to 10-12, and the internal road FE is a measly 6-7 kmpl!

Will post more pics and experiences as I drive it around a bit more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
The only criticism I can think of right now is that it is a bit too clinical (I don't mean boring though).

It is not as characterful as my old Civic or even my old Optra (was my first car, I covered 100,000 kms in 6 years, so I am a bit sentimental about it).

The higher noise levels I was complaining about too is no longer an issue, probably due to 3M rubberized underbody coating. Moreover, in our BRV Whatsapp group (has a grand total of 10 members), only 2 of us had (has) issues with high NVH levels.
Yup, as smartcat said, agree again on the too clinical part, I am just super happy with D mode and loads of rest to my left hand and leg, so much so that i have not even tried the S mode or the paddle shifters yet! And agree again, I am one of those remaining 8 in that group who have so far not been troubled by external noise / braking noise etc, am keeping my fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Great going Smartcat. You are truly putting the BRV to use. I have barely managed 1000 kms and that too 100% city driving. Haven't got a chance to take it out of the city.
@HVT. Maybe we can just plan an aimless drive on the expressway to get those 18 + kmpl figures clocked and documented.
Count me in Ritesh, am sure our friend Chirag would also be enthu, lets see if we can meet up with Rohit from pune!

Anyone else in powai / mumbai and wants to meet up, please send me a personal message (for newbies: just click on my author name on this post and you should see that option)!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-hemant_aaryaa_brv.jpg

Last edited by Hvt77 : 13th October 2016 at 19:22.
Hvt77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 19:55   #603
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Had the opportunity to sit in the BR-V today.This was the V-CVT variant. I sat in the third row during the first half of the journey and felt that the space at the rear was better than the XUV 5OO. This sentiment was echoed by my friends as well. In the later half, I called Shotgun and was able to appreciate the dashboard. I found it rather nice looking. I really liked the 'Polka dot' finish just above the glovebox. The all black design felt nice and I do prefer it over the beige strip given by Hyundai in the Creta's dashboard. The Civic like steering looks sporty. The City like instrument panel looks great.

I feel that Honda could have improved its 'feel' and 'look' factor by incorporating some elements from the City such as-

1. City like steering atleast on the V and VX variants.If not that, then they could have atleast made the Civic like steering standard across the range. It looks much better than the Brio unit.

2. The 5 inch unit from the City for the top variants. The present single-din system looks basic.

3. Addition of parking sensors for the top variants.

I don't think that prospective BR-V customers would have mind paying the extra 20-30k for the above mentioned features. On asking my manager as to why did he opt for the BR-V, he said that it is because his parents stay with him and they needed a genuine 6 seater, which the BR-V is.

I just realised that I have praised the dashboard of the BR-V too much. I always maintained that the interiors of the Creta look much better than the BR-V, but I am confused now.
Will have to sit in the Creta again.
AYP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:45   #604

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydude View Post
Hi, please share details of this bangalore vendor. Thanks
Hi Andydude the Bangalore site is called glamour accessories. I contacted them on facebook.

This is their webpage
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...%20accessories

I am still not sure if getting it from them is in any way inferior to getting it from the official Honda accessories guys. Any inputs from your end are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-14572528_1196307970408621_1835553578_o.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-14585636_1196307967075288_623092824_o.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-14614438_1196307980408620_727352217_o.jpg  

John Roshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 14:54   #605

Quote:
Plus, I'm guessing it would affect rear parking sensors and camera.
Dear Smartcat I checked with the Honda guys even before purchasing the brv about the rear metallic bumper guard. They told me that if I did install one it would affect my rear parking sensors, but not the camera. I hence have got the rear view camera installed with no parking sensors.

If you dont mind I would like to be a part of your brv whatsapp group. Can you help me with that. Thanks
John Roshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 15:41   #606
BHPian

Honda announces first ever Discount Offer on BR-V!!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv.jpg
vikash49 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 18:04   #607
BHPian

Well guess they increased the prices and started giving discount. Not too smart IMHO.
Old 19th October 2016, 22:55   #608

When I was buying my br-v the dealer told me about the buddy royalty programme. My father in law who owns a city became my referee. However 2 months later he still hasn't earned his 5000points. On further enquiries the dealer now tells me that the brv doesn't qualify for the buddy royalty programme. Very disappointed with Honda about this.
Old 20th October 2016, 13:29   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Roshan View Post
On further enquiries the dealer now tells me that the brv doesn't qualify for the buddy royalty programme. Very disappointed with Honda about this.
Do check for the details on this buddy royalty program and see if it specifically excludes BRV. If no, take it up with Honda. Don't go by the dealer's knowledge.
Old 24th October 2016, 09:04   #610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Why are we even comparing the Brio with the B-RV? It might .................same as a Scorpio so again not sure where the Brio fits here.
Right on! "Sharing platforms" is a lovely new buzzword, I believe specifically developed by the industry spin doctors to confuse the public - who they believe are all air-headed bimbettes!

As Car & Driver's Csaba Csere said as far back as 2003 - "That's why there's more to platform sharing than simply chopping or stretching a vehicle's wheelbase and slapping a different body on it. The clever manufacturers share only those pieces that are expensive to develop and will create the least compromise in other applications." In other words, its all about money - cost efficiency & parts sharing. Even bespoke names (Bentley) are not immune from this process - at VW, the D platform was shared between the Bentley Continental GT & the Audi A8.

Thus, a bespoke name is no longer a guarantee of exclusivity!

Mods, if the above sounds too far OT, please delete the post.

Last edited by shashanka : 24th October 2016 at 09:10.
Old 31st October 2016, 23:57   #611
Team-BHP Support

1) 5,000 kms free service done. They apparently checked the fluids, checked underbody/ engine bay and did torqueing of suspension bolts.

2) 5,800 kms on the odo in 4 months. Maybe 300 kms in the city, and rest on highways.

3) I had a huge revelation today filling up fuel. Petrol is Rs. 71 per litre and diesel is Rs. 59 per litre. Petrol is roughly 20% more expensive than diesel. But BRV AT is roughly 20% to 50% more fuel efficient than its 7 seater diesel AT rivals (XUV 500 AT, Innova Crysta AT and upcoming Hexa AT) - most of it down to 500 to 1000 kilo weight advantage of BRV. The little regret I had in mind about not having a diesel AT 7 seater is out of the window. My satisfaction with BRV is pretty close to peak right now.

Note: FE figures of XUV 500 AT and Innova Crysta AT are from ownership reviews/posts on Team-BHP. We can guess the FE of Hexa AT based on its weight, engine power/torque and type of transmission.

BRV AT's better-than-expectations FE is of course, based on my own experience. Average FE during my last trip (820 km) was 14.9 kmpl -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161031_201707.jpg

Majority of which was on roads like this -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161030_104648_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161031_132122_1_p.jpg

and sometimes, this - meandering through small villages.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161030_114647_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161030_175932_p.jpg

On Golden Quadrilateral (say, on a drive to Mumbai from Bangalore), expect something like this -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161029_122417_1_p.jpg

4) The performance (acceleration) figures of all the 7 seater ATs are out -

Quote:

Tata Hexa AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 7.68 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 10.44 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 12.71sec

Toyota Innova Crysta AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 6.7 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 8.84 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 11.46sec

Mahindra XUV500 AT:

20 to 80 kmph in 6.72 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 9.06 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 13.16 secs
But again, because of Honda 1.5L iVTEC, bantam weight and reasonably quick CVT, the BRV AT matches the performance figures of the heavy weights -

Honda BRV AT

20 to 80 kmph in 8.57 secs
40 to 100 kmph in 10.61 secs
0 to 100 kmph in 12.53 secs

OK maybe not. Gives away a second to its rivals, but it really doesn't feel slow.

Note: Ertiga AT not included in this mini-comparison because neither performance nor FE numbers are available.

5) Pros & Cons of BRV AT against the big three 7 seater ATs - Hexa, XUV500 & Crysta)

Pros:

+ Small dimensions and quick steering makes BRV AT very nimble.
+ Lowest initial cost
+ Lowest fuel costs despite being petrol powered.

Cons

- Does not have tough build quality of the big three.
- XL sized panel gaps in BRV is quite embarrassing.
- Likely to have low resale value

More BRV pics from my recent trip -

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161031_105150.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161031_153544.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20161031_171315.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161030_105600_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161030_115116_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20161031_121935_p.jpg

That's a Renault Lodgy Stepway
SmartCat is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st November 2016, 00:04   #612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Likely to have low resale value
I'm not so sure, because of all the negativity surrounding big diesel engines! And things (read NGT bans, taxes etc) are only going to get worse in the future.

If you sell closer to the 10 year mark, the resale value difference might not turn out to be a major differentiator, considering BRV petrol AT is still cheaper to own as compared to the other diesel AT seven seaters in the market.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 21:52   #613
BHPian

Classic case of a great idea that was executed poorly. Sad to see it fizzle out so early...

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv.jpg

Let's hope Honda learns its lesson from this!
vikash49 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 11:04   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Classic case of a great idea that was executed poorly. Sad to see it fizzle out so early...

Attachment 1572942

Let's hope Honda learns its lesson from this!
Hmm, except City (and even that is dethroned since long, to # 2 by ciaz in sedans), nothing is going well for Honda:

Honda Cars sales decline 23% to 15,567 units in October

Quote:
HCIL last month sold 535 units of small car Brio, 3,011 units of premium hatchback Jazz, 4,009 units of compact sedan Amaze, 498 units of MPV Mobilio and 6,378 units of mid-sized sedan City.

The company also sold 1,070 units of its new compact sports utility vehicle (SUV), BR-V.

Besides, it sold 41 units of SUV CRV and 25 units of recently launched Accord Hybrid. In addition, it exported a total of 289 units during the month.
And still they are putting up a brave face:

Quote:
HCIL President and CEO Yoichiro Ueno said strong demand during the festival period led to the company's highest monthly retail sales of 2016 in October.
Hvt77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2016, 11:50   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvt77 View Post
Hmm, except City (and even that is dethroned since long, to # 2 by ciaz in sedans),
6360 Units of Ciaz Sold last month against 6378 City Sedans.

City is back to No 1 but that's a super close fight.

http://www.marutisuzuki.com/press-re...er--2016-.aspx
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks