Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:42   #901
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
@'heavy horse' can you confirm what's latest since you purchased BRV lately.
They've given me Michelin.
Old 24th January 2018, 16:37   #902
BHPian

Purchased Brv (SMT petrol) last month ( White Orchid Color). Already did a out station trip from Jamshedpur to Raipur. Love the car. I own a Honda Jazz( 2010 model), so it was natural for me to again go for BRV. Was considering Ertiga also, but Jazz experience tilted the decision in favor of BRV + some extra space.
For the rat problem, some folks suggested naphthalene balls. Not sure if it helps.
yogesh.janghel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 08:55   #903
BHPian

The annual custom of chasing snow continued this year too with a trip to Mussoorie & further till Dhanaulti in Uttarakhand over the long weekend of 26/Jan.

Although the snow wasn’t much but the kids made it count. Talk of learning from children where just the spirit of fun makes up for whatever isn’t there.

Route: Faridabad – Ghaziabad –Meerut—Roorkee-Dehradun—Mussoorie, distance of 310 odd kms. Total distance 720kms to-n-fro including driving to near by kempty falls, Dhanaulti and local areas.

The SH road quality in UK isn’t much to talk about as driving time of 8 hrs (with only one quick break) while being fast enough per the road conditions, averages overall speed of less than 40kmph, which tells the story. The bar's been set high by the road quality in PB/RJ/HR even on SH.

BRV fared super well as expected barring a few instances where the FWD was causing the tires to slip on ice. Key points that I continue to much admire of the car for me,

1. CVT – S mode just takes away any issues that D can’t overcome driving up the gradients

2. Paddle Shifters – Ergonomically positioned on-demand power, for those quick overtakes or to keep pace with other vehicles when joining the highway.

3. FE – On the forward journey, FE of ~16 kmpl and 14 kmpl overall isn’t bad, in fact I’m happy given the ~11 kmpl figure I was getting prior to the last service

4. ‘Space Space Space’ – with 2 Adults & 2 kids and required luggage (which is much with children) I didn’t have to fold the last seat. This is amazing and reaffirms my buying decision over XUV. Which provided ample space for family to play around with seating options or full seat per passenger for taking a nap or two when wanted.

And in the process BRV completed 10K kms in about 11 months, all of it “hunting” far off destinations. That’s like one long trip every month. Come to think of it as I wrote the last line, our family bonds are much better having been in the cage for many hours 'storming & norming' Travelling really helps, reaffirmed.

Until next hunt, cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180125_065641.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180125_083930.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180126_100818.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180126_112038.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180126_113739.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180128_090704.jpg  

wangdu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 12:07   #904
BANNED

Hello all... Looking forward to your suggestions.

Requirements:

1.) Ability to carry 7 people if needed; and 5 or 6 people in total comfort.
2.) Automatic transmission.
3.) Maximum safety possible.
4.) Need things like bluetooth for phone, audio controls on steering wheel, seat height adjuster, etc.
5.) Don't really need push button start, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, chrome garnishes, etc.
6.) Petrol or diesel. But, out of the two, Petrol would be preferred.
7.) Usage - One, maybe two, long trip/s a year. Other than that, mostly city.

Cars considered are XUV, Ertiga and BRV. No offense meant to Hexa and Lodgy owners and others who have chosen other cars.

So, here is my list of pros and cons. It would be good to hear from others.

XUV - W9 AT:

1.) Looks. Sheer presence. This is a real SUV.
2.) Second row width. Seriously, the XUV is unmatched in this area. Amazingly comfortable for 3 average sized people.
3.) 6 airbags

Dislikes:

1.) Nervous about the outlook of diesel vehicles. This really is a big concern for me. 16 lacs and above is not a trivial amount for my family. So, wondering if it will go down the drain tomorrow if the govt decides that diesel vehicles are finished in India.
2.) Lack of boot space. But, this is minor. I can make do with the last row doubling as boot.
3.) General (non-specific) worry about Mahindra ASS.
4.) Price.

P.S.
Petrol XUV is nowhere in sight. They launched it. But, no one at any dealership has a clue about that car. So idea when customers will have that option.

Ertiga - VXI AT:

1.) Price.
2.) Space. After XUV, this is the car where I found the space to be sorted. Second row is deceptively wide; three astride are quite OK. Not XUV OK. But, not bad at all. Last row also is pretty good.

Dislikes:

1.) AT version does not have seat height adjuster and rear window washer / wiper. It also does not have alloy wheels, push button start etc. But, those I can live without. Seat height adjuster is something that I absolutely need. Dealerships here are categorically refusing to install it as an add on. I asked already.
2.) Very little storage space in the cabin. Especially, the lack of cup holders are a problem during long drives.
3.) Same old Maruti experience in the cabin. I have seen that dash a million times. Gets a bit boring now.
4.) Looks. At the end of the day, it is still a van.

BRV - V CVT:

2.) Dash is little bit better than typical Maruti fare.
3.) Space seems OK. Although 2nd row width is the least of the 3.

Dislikes:
1.) Lack of power socket in 2nd row. But, this is a minor gripe.
2.) Ambivalent about looks. It just looks like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It is certainly not tough / butch; and nor is it an unapologetic people mover like the Ertiga. It's not something that I immediately like.
3.) Really low car. Lower even than my Ritz. That takes away the SUV factor because seat height is pretty much car like.

Now, what does this community think?

Last edited by mohansrides : 10th February 2018 at 12:10.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 17:17   #905
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
If you can wait for some more time, there are two MPV launches in 2018.

New gen Ertiga
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...en-ertiga.html
Mahindra MPV
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4351838

Here is a XUV500 next to my BR-V:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20171129_171833.jpg

You can see that the slightly oddball looks of the BR-V is because of short stubby bonnet and a long cabin. This translates to 3 row seating plus 270 litres bootspace. XUV500 has a traditional SUV look - longish bonnet and proportionally sized cabin. On the flipside, you lose out on practicality (choose between 5 seater + luggage or 7 seater + no luggage)

So between XUV500 and BR-V, it all depends on what you value more - good looks or practicality?
SmartCat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 16:47   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all... Looking forward to your suggestions.
My thoughts in addition to already mentioned,

On XUV,
1. why would one want a petrol version when the torque will be pretty low to pull the 2.5 ton vehicle?
2. Diesels aren't going any where any time soon. The diesel market & lobby won't let that happen. Case in point the recent ban on 2L plus diesel cars was revoked in lieu of 10k environment cess. Do we think the 10k cess is actually going towards curing the air or inventing ways to reduce pollution by the manufacturers. No. So, it's bigger than we think.
3. If you need to have all seats up, there's no space for luggage.
4. In city which is where you say you would be doing most driving, XUV is less agile.
5. Looks are SUVish but no SUV as such.

On BRV:
1. iVtec+CVT is a gem IMO for relaxed city drives and long ones alike. No diesel engine clatter or noise.
2. The seats are spacious and 3rd row is good too. My family members of 5'5-5'7" have no complaints. The seats recline and the punch then is that the luggage is in the boot without any bother.
3. Nimble to move around in the city
4. Machined Alloys (yeah BRV wheels were a big factor for me matched only by Terrano's)
5. Reputed and trust worthy A.S.S

I was in exact same dilemma but I leaned towards to BRV for these reasons. Heart wanted an SUV (Safari) but most of the need stemmed from family comfort so options were down to XUV/BRV, Ertiga was never in contention.

So, I thought to my self if I ain't buying a true blue 4x4 safari then heck let's feed the head completely. I wasn't bowled over by XUV but pretty much liked the suave looks, peace of mind with Honda, time tested iVtec/CVT and overall a very practical BRV for my young family and dog while being easy on pocket as well.

To each his own, go for what satisfies your heart or head completely.

Last edited by wangdu : 13th February 2018 at 16:51. Reason: I'm not a QWERTY champ, I should check for typos :)
wangdu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2018, 19:35   #907
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you can wait for some more time, there are two MPV launches in 2018.....

So between XUV500 and BR-V, it all depends on what you value more - good looks or practicality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
My thoughts in addition to already mentioned....

I was in exact same dilemma but I leaned towards to BRV....

To each his own, go for what satisfies your heart or head completely.
Thank you both for your guidance. Actually, I had long since ruled out the BRV for lack of rear seat width, and zeroed in on the XUV. But, the BRV has come back into contention because of the recent public sentiments with respect to diesel vehicles.

I TDed the BRV a couple of days ago and I agree that the CVT is quite good; very effortless to drive. Also, the legroom and recline angles in second and third rows are quite good.

The BRV also has some key misses for a 14 lac vehicle.

1.) For a 7 seater, the car only has one mobile charging port for front row; there are none in the second and third rows.

2.) No Isofix child seat anchors.

3.) No vehicle stability assist, or traction control (BRV outside India gets this safety feature).

4.) No Brake Assist.

5.) The AVN system does not support Apple Car Play or Android Auto. (Mirrorlink only works with certain apps, and only for Android). I am not big on using the AVN to browse the web or go on Facebook, or even to play music (I am a fan of fresh music thru' the FM). But, I think that it would be good to have tight coupling of my smartphone with the AVN purely for Google maps. Otherwise, I would have to mount my phone somewhere on the dash.

6.) The BT phone call answer / disconnect button is not on the steering wheel; but far away on the center console.

7.) No rear view camera for a long vehicle like this.

This purchase is entirely out of necessity. Since my heart is out of the picture, these misses are making me think again about the BRV.

Further thoughts from this BRV community would be welcome.
Old 18th February 2018, 08:44   #908
BHPian

Quote:
1.) For a 7 seater, the car only has one mobile charging port for front row; there are none in the second and third rows.
This can be easily addressed by using a charger with 2/3 ports. I use one with 2 ports purchased from Amazon for Rs 350/- which is working well.

Quote:
6.) The BT phone call answer / disconnect button is not on the steering wheel; but far away on the center console.
I can reach the console buttons without even stretching my arm fully. Not a big issue for me.

Quote:
7.) No rear view camera for a long vehicle like this.
Again not a big issue for me. The RVM along with the ORVMs and the rear camera for parking assist are quite adequate.

I own both vehicles and while I treasure both I use the XUV purely for long distance highway rides. I find it quite painful to ride that in congested city traffic in Mumbai because of it's size and weight.

If you are intending to use the car largely in Mumbai city with occasional long distance rides, go for the BRV. No car will give you every feature that you desire (like a husband/wife) !!!

My two cents. Hope this helps
Heavy Horse is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2018, 10:06   #909
BHPian

Quote:

Cars considered are XUV, Ertiga and BRV. No offense meant to Hexa and Lodgy owners and others who have chosen other cars.
No offense taken, but the AT used in the Hexa cannot be compared to the units in the XUV or the Brio derived BRV. The Powerglide manufactured gearbox is being used in Cadillac products and was used in the past in BMW cars. If you're still open about brands without biases, do drive the XMA Hexa. It will blow most other cars below 25L away in terms of comfort, presence and driving pleasure. If you're strictly against buying a product from the most trusted Indian brand, then I have nothing to say, good luck with your purchase

Please delete if OT. Thanks.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 18th February 2018 at 10:10.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2018, 08:44   #910
BHPian

Any suggestions for reducing road noise. Mine is a brand new CVT, did a 1000+ kms long trip this week. Everything was fine except the road noise at higher speeds. Has anyone tried dynamat or similar products, please share your views.
newway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 13:57   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Any suggestions for reducing road noise. Mine is a brand new CVT, did a 1000+ kms long trip this week. Everything was fine except the road noise at higher speeds. Has anyone tried dynamat or similar products, please share your views.
I have a particulalr vibration at exactly 75-80 KMPH speed, not before and not after, else the drive is smooth. There is no noticable road noise as such for me. Mine is a BRV Diesel V trim.
Old 8th March 2018, 16:25   #912
BHPian

I come from driving a Linea 1.4 NA. Looking to change vehicle and BRV has struck the right cords. I'm looking the VTec VX MT option. My queries below:

1. How does it fare in ride and handling department?

2. AT 100KMPH, tire and road noise is quite intrusive in Linea. How does it sound in BRV?

3. Has anybody tried changing the stock tires to a meatier one?

4. Linea offers a carpet ride quality. From reading ownership reports, I gather middle row is quite bumpy on BRV. How good or bad is it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th March 2018, 17:05   #913
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
How does it fare in handling department?
Handling is a 8 out of 10. BRV's steering is slightly sharper and quicker than Linea. However, understeer will come a bit early - you can't push the BRV into a corner as much as you can in a good sedan/hatchback. Also, you will find that the BRV's steering is a bit too light, when compared to Linea's hydraulic unit. However, BRV's steering feel and feedback improves with speed.

Quote:
AT 100KMPH, tire and road noise is quite intrusive in Linea. How does it sound in BRV?
You will feel right at home. Tire and road noise is intrusive in BRV too.

Quote:
Linea offers a carpet ride quality. From reading ownership reports, I gather middle row is quite bumpy on BRV. How good or bad is it?
High GC and decent handling means stiff suspension. So ride quality is not exactly BRV's strength. However, I run 30 PSI front and back instead of the recommended 32 PSI. No complaints from wife or kids (who occupy the middle/last row)

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th March 2018 at 17:14.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2018, 01:15   #914
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Horse View Post
If you are intending to use the car largely in Mumbai city with occasional long distance rides, go for the BRV. No car will give you every feature that you desire (like a husband/wife) !!!
Thanks. My driving will indeed be mostly in the city. That's why I am even looking at this car. Also, I appreciate the common sense solutions that you have proposed to the problems I mentioned. I do feel a bit better now.

However, there is one other big miss that is driving me to other cars. The lack of back lighting on anything on the dash or steering. This is shocking. More so because no one here in this thread appears to be seriously discussing this as a problem. They are discussing looks (MPV/SUV), transmissions, mileage, everything. But, only perfunctory mentions of the lack of backlighting!! Not being able to see the buttons while driving at night is a serious safety issue, Even my Ritz which costed only 5 lacs has backlit everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
No offense taken.... good luck with your purchase
I am TDing the Hexa tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Way out of budget. But, now is the time to consider everything on the table. I was not planning on looking at it. But, your conviction made me think that I should be a bit open minded.
Old 10th March 2018, 14:23   #915
BHPian

Quote:
However, there is one other big miss that is driving me to other cars. The lack of back lighting on anything on the dash or steering. This is shocking.
The back lighting is fine on the dash and off course the AVN system. The problem, and it's a big miss as you say, is the absence on the steering and the door panel where the ORVM and window controls reside. The good thing is that the "blind man " learns !!!

Btw, Smartcat has a post dedicated to this issue. I went through all his posts and Wangdu's before I took the decision to buy the BRV.

Anyway,whatever you ultimately decide on, I wish you a great set of wheels and many years of driving pleasure.
Heavy Horse is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed