Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2018, 10:56   #961
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
I went to Dakshin Honda dealership couple of weekends ago (weekend before election), and was happy to hear that there's a 70K discount being offered on BR-V.

Is anyone aware of refresh plans from Honda for the BR-V?
I think Honda did a refresh in early Q4'17 when V/VX were factory fitted with reverse parking sensors & camera and also the latter was fitted with AVN too. Per my last chat with a known at dealer (a month or two ago) here in NCR, a refresh won't be coming in soon now let alone a new launch. I was also told that the air filter will be factory fitted now onward; do you know if it's done already? Or perhaps it would be part of the minor updates later.

The 70k discount is the usual dealer and/or factory deal it seems and can be haggled further if you pitch one against the other. If you can wait till Aug/Sep, you might get a good deal and will also know if a new launch is on the cards (2018 BRV has been already launched in SE Asia). Good deal because besides it being festive season (discounts!!) it's also their annual 'dealer of the year' contest in October.
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2018, 12:53   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I think Honda did a refresh in early Q4'17 when V/VX were factory fitted with reverse parking sensors & camera and also the latter was fitted with AVN too.

The 70k discount is the usual dealer and/or factory deal it seems and can be haggled further if you pitch one against the other. If you can wait till Aug/Sep, you might get a good deal and will also know if a new launch is on the cards (2018 BRV has been already launched in SE Asia). Good deal because besides it being festive season (discounts!!) it's also their annual 'dealer of the year' contest in October.
The CVT V variant comes with factory-fitted reverse parking sensors only. During conversation, I was offered the choice of either getting Honda authorized touch-screen HU that includes reverse camera, or getting free insurance.

I too sensed the cash discount is further negotiable. However, I am waiting for the launch of Ertiga refresh so as to do back to back TDs, and then get down to serious talk.
Old 28th May 2018, 22:05   #963
Team-BHP Support

Back from a 1,400 km Home - Mysore Road - Wayanad - Madikeri route - Mangalore/Suratkal/Udupi - Charmadi ghat - Home trip, with 4 adults, 2 kids and luggage for 7 days. Fuel economy was just 13 kmpl because of narrow & winding roads, medium to heavy traffic and large load.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180521_202238.jpg

At Wayanad, we spotted some rare wildlife.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180522_140416.jpg

We then fled to Mangalore in Sports Mode thanks to Nipah virus scare. Wayanad to Madikeri drive is a 10 out of 10, especially if it is drizzling! Meanwhile, my in-laws' place in Mangalore was all green because of recent rains.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180527_103706.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180527_103923.jpg

On the drive to Bangalore, we took the Charmadi ghat route. It was misty, but the drive was not enjoyable because of heavy traffic. Overtaking was really a nightmare.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180527_152914.jpg

On our way back home, a tragedy of sorts struck a few kilometres before Nelamangala - a debilitating tyre puncture at 9:00 PM. Now, in my 20 years 200,000 kms driving experience, I never had to change a tyre. I have had punctures before - but thanks to tubeless tyres and electric pump, all I did was fill up and scoot to the nearest tyre shop. But this particular puncture completely flattened the tyre.

It took me around 20 minutes to change the tyre. But after changing the tyre, I drove at 60 kmph all the way home - because I had this strange fear that the tyre would fall off! I really don't trust myself when it comes to mechanical repair work.

Next day:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180528_172453.jpg

The culprit:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img20180528wa0033.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180528_182621.jpg

Some nutcase probably placed this bolt on the highway intentionally. Now after a mushroom patch, the tyre has been moved to stepney duties. How reliable is a mushroom patch? Replace this tyre or let it be?

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th May 2018 at 22:09.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 22:34   #964
OSH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Now after a mushroom patch, the tyre has been moved to stepney duties. How reliable is a mushroom patch? Replace this tyre or let it be?
A mushroom patch is a very good way to fix punctures caused by the usual thin nails and the likes but in your case, that thick bolt must have created a very large hole for any puncture repair to be reliable.

I feel the best thing to do is replace the tyre or else ask some tyre shop if they can fit a tube inside the damaged tyre. If they say that the tyre is fine to run with a tube, then use that tyre in the spare wheel.

Have you clicked any pics of the tyre's inside ?

Last edited by OSH : 28th May 2018 at 22:42.
OSH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 09:50   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Back from a 1,400 km Home - Mysore Road - Wayanad - Madikeri route - Mangalore/Suratkal/Udupi - Charmadi ghat - Home trip...

- because I had this strange fear that the tyre would fall off!

tyre falling off ..Ha ha..What fear man!, Imagining the context, I laughed out hysterically. My 2 smilies per post quota is just for this. Lovely trip report, I so miss bangalore and around at times.

Okay, so here's what BRV is up to in North.

An avid hunter is one who on his way back from wilderness contemplates more daring hunts for the next time so as to satiate his hunger longer. True to this spirit, the hunters in my family on the return in last trip envisioned some place quieter and something not done, for the next trip in May.

@Shashanka provided some interesting options in Kumaon range but for some reason the guys on the other side weren’t as excited as I was when it came to bookings. (Shashanka: could you please share pandey ji’s & other KMVN phone numbers again).

In parallel, I started looking for other options that could provide respite from blistering NCR summer, away from madding crowd and most importantly – something different. ‘Camping’ is something I had been hesitant with an over enthusiastic pet and 'Dangal' kids, as the last attempt had the other campers complaining of too much “life” (read high db sound/screams) in ‘that’ camp. But then I thought to myself that the kids and the pet have grown a year wiser (hopefully quieter per society’s benchmark) so all should be okay. With this optimism, a campsite was booked higher up in Narkanda, some 50 kms from Shimla. The 1000 kms escapade for the month of May was well underway.

Route options:

Faridabad-Del-Chandigarh-Solan--Shimla--Kufri—Narkanda
This is the route some 20,000 visitors to Shimla take per day during this season. So, I had serious apprehensions despite my family wanting to see Shimla. I cajoled them for coming to Shimla on the return.

Faridabad-Del-Chandigarh-Solan—Kandaghat—Chail--Kufri—Narkanda
This one is off the beaten path, bypasses the Queen of hills-Shimla and I was happy to stay away from the city due to the colossal traffic on narrow roads. Rather I'd whistle through scenic Chail which was just 25kms longer.

Started from Faridabad (NCR) at our usual 4ish AM, steered BRV through the latter route and the additional 25kms drive turned to be absolute bliss. With cloudy afternoon, cool breeze and winding through hills with zero traffic what more could I have asked for. Someone correctly said, contrarian approach pays. Finally reached the camp site after 10hr drive.

The stay was fun, family level adventurous and very healthy. I filled up my lungs with deep deep breath and really connected with Nature – listening just the birds’ chirping, feeling moist grass and meditation. Well, all this was only till the kids woke up and the dog realized that his walker is missing.

After an year, as feared the kids and pet have only grown noisier and their sound pollution must have bothered the guests and fauna around. But as we were there for just 2 days & 1 night, I didn’t bother the noise makers with the usual parental warnings and let them be.

Picked a couple of apple juice crates, boxes of red cherries and local fruits as mementos.

Here are some pics and some description where they don’t tell their story.

FE: Ahem Ahem.. from 11ish to 17kmpl, vooh hoo.. It continued like this for next 200 kms till the hills started. Driving style as usual sedate to mildly aggressive. Things done differently this time - cleaned air filter prior to trip, checked all tires' pressure for 33psi from 2 shops which were right next to each other. Imagine their amusement. Overall trip FE: 14.6

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_053449.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_054312.jpg

This happened perhaps 15 or so minutes before I passed. A truck had hit another and the one in front toppled over closing most part of 3 lanes. Lucky passing this spot on time.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_061802.jpg

Here the XUV had hit the median, rolled over and crossed over from the other side
Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_082917.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_082919.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_083127.jpg

Hills of Himachal in sight

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_090817.jpg

Local taxis (mostly Altos) habitually zip fast without a care in the world. And then life gives them time to introspect and relax

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_135726.jpg

The Camp, bonfire, trekking, serenity (and dog bark, kids' excitement we can't hear here.. ha ha)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_145807.jpg

Name:  Burst_Cover_GIF_Action_20180525145636.gif
Views: 6264
Size:  571.2 KB

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_162353.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_072032.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_091449.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-burst_cover_gif_action_20180526091516.gif

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180525_145819.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_093705.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_094204.jpg

Break to re-center the brain affected by the zillion twisties on the way down

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_174521.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_174457.jpg

Now this Duster's driver (green T) was in some real hurry. Twice he bothered me with close shaves coming down the hill and then I saw him unsuccessfully trying to muscle his way in back into the lane seeing oncoming traffic. He learns a lesson in patience.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_190152.jpg

Last accident seen on the trip. This stretch is just when long drive down through hills is over and tarmac on plains welcomes you, tempting to speed up but just then another vehicle in front of you brakes hard .. oops.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180526_191404.jpg

Until next, drive safe.. cheers! (:thumsup ha ha)

Last edited by wangdu : 1st June 2018 at 09:52.
wangdu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 20:41   #966
Team-BHP Support

"Tastefully" modded BR-V. This guy is sheer class!

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img20180601wa0049.jpg

Quote:
Until next, drive safe
Do you intend to visit Narkanda again? If yes, I recommend the above mod!

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st June 2018 at 20:44.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2018, 09:54   #967
BANNED

Quote:
....@Shashanka provided some interesting options in Kumaon range but for some reason the guys on the other side weren’t as excited as I was when it came to bookings. (Shashanka: could you please share pandey ji’s & other KMVN phone numbers again)....Until next, drive safe.. cheers! (:thumsup ha ha)
Nope, sorry old chap, nothing new to add. Try some surfing & digging yourself - all the info is there on their sites.
Old 9th June 2018, 20:15   #968
Senior - BHPian

Test drove a BRV diesel VX MT on behalf of/with a friend. He is looking to buy a seven seater but is not sure whether to go for a petrol or a diesel. The options are the usual suspects - Ertiga, Lodgy and the BRV, with a budget limited to early teens. Below is a subjective report.

A 15,xxx km run HONDA BRV DIESEL VX MT (Non AVN) - SHORT TEST DRIVE EXPERIENCE

1. BRV is not a full fledged seven seater. It can only seat five adults and two children in relative comfort.

2. The seats - all of them - are on a diet! They appear uncommonly thin, the area behind the central armrest looks specially ungainly. Plus, none of the seats gave me that hugging feeling. That is not to say that they were uncomfortable; they are of the right firmness, the squabs of the first and second row seats adequate and supportive enough for me. The seats came wrapped in black coloured leather. Interestingly, the base of the driver's seat was severely cracked.

3. The middle row seat backs are reclinable and it is easy to find a comfortable angle. There are multiple possibilities for adjustments.

4. It is easy to get in and out of the front and middle rows. The third row, even with tumbled down second row seats, is far more difficult to access. One may get used to it but for us, it was not really a cakewalk. Moreover, the third row is best suited for children. Even average size adults will have to sit with raised knees. Under thigh support is almost non existent. Sitting there, I had about half a foot gap between my head and the roof. My height is 164 cm. The reclining back rests are a boon though.

Headroom - 3rd row.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180609_142135.jpg

5. The third row seats have space for cups/bottles and mobile phones at both the sides. However, the latter is useable only with sub five inch phones.

6. I wear size 9 shoes and shockingly they were getting stuck whenever i placed my leg over the clutch pedal.

7. The clutch is smooth and doesn't feel heavy. The gear shift is short but not butter smooth. I could feel a little notchiness although i must admit that never once did the lever land up anywhere other than where i desired it to be.

8. The most impressive thing for me was the linear power delivery and ease of driving (even) at lower rpm. Release the clutch and you will see the vehicle moving forward without any throttle input. There isn't any suddenness or jerkiness in the movement. At around 1000 rpm, i could manage to accelerate without much difficulty. I felt the low end drivability to be better than Ertiga diesel. Consequently, the BRV would be an easy car to drive in the city.

9. The car picks up speed smoothly in all the gears. The engine noise is muted till about 3000 rpm post which one hears an unpleasant grunt. But i must admit that one wouldn't anyway need to cross that threshold very often.

10. The braking - at varied speeds - was confidence inspiring. They stop the car without any drama and in a straight line, every time. However, i felt that the ABS was starting its work a tad too early.

11. The instantaneous mileage as per MID was hovering around 20kmpl while the average being displayed was 15.6kmpl.

12. The suspension is well tuned. That and the high ground clearance help in negotiating those mega speed breakers without unsettling the occupants. The shocks go about doing their duty silently - no untoward sounds are heard even while traversing big potholes or series of rumble strips. The SA was pushing me to go off road, saying that i would appreciate the car only if i drive it on uneven surfaces.

13. The plastics used on the dashboard and the doors could have been of better quality. The addition of a leather base on the door armrests is a nice thought.

Leather base for armrests

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180609_132815.jpg

14. The slot inside door handle has this slightly raised portion. Probably to aid grip, not sure though.

Raised portion inside the door handle

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20180609_142509.jpg
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 02:59   #969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post

[*]The seats - all of them - are on a diet! They appear uncommonly thin, the area behind the central armrest looks specially ungainly. Plus, none of the seats gave me that hugging feeling. That is not to say that they were uncomfortable; they are of the right firmness, the squabs of the first and second row seats adequate and supportive enough for me. The seats came wrapped in black coloured leather. Interestingly, the base of the driver's seat was severely cracked.

Honda is the master of space management and anaemic seats are one of it's cards that it uses in ensuring the same. Check the seats in the Brio, Jazz and you would find them similarly thin.
Having said that the seats aren't bad per se in terms of comfort.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 07:46   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Honda is the master of space management and anaemic seats are one of it's cards that it uses in ensuring the same. Check the seats in the Brio, Jazz and you would find them similarly thin. Having said that the seats aren't bad per se in terms of comfort.
Agree with you on both.

A few more points based on the feelings of my friend as well as the notes that I had taken down soon after the test drive
(could not lay my hands on them while typing the previous post).
  • BRV felt like a car and at no point did i feel like I was driving a seven seater. Special mention must be made of the fact that under various hard braking and sharp turning conditions, the vehicle did not fishtail even when not fully loaded. Though I must admit that at times I felt Ertiga (I drive one occasionally) is far more tighter. This could be the result of differences in ground clearance suspension tuning.

• Even when (deliberately) trying to get out of relatively deep muddy and slushy potholes, we didn't experience any wheelspin. Just to give it some context, it has been raining continuously for over a week here and the places i took it to and through can hardly qualify as roads.

• While we were constantly trying to mentally compare the BRV with Ertiga, the SA was adamant on pitting it against Duster and Creta. Interestingly, he was going on and on about how the BRV is a better car than the Amaze but was silent on its placement vis-a-vis the WRV and the City.

• Taking tight turns on city roads could be a little difficult as I had to take three turns at a spot where it would take one less for an Ertiga.

• Using the steering wheel, handbrake and even the seat belts was a breze. All of them had butter smooth movements.

• The brakes, though good, seemed to lack bite in the initial stages. That did not stop the car from stopping where I wanted it to. So, no complaints there.

• The larger of the two seats in the middle row was creaking when I sat there.

• My friend was of the opinion that the interiors were not posh enough for a 15 lakh car and that but for the badge, he would be hard pressed to admit that they were from Honda! This was in stark contrast to the sales pitch which was heavily reliant on the usual This is a Honda, what else do you need? kind of statements.

The seven seater segment in India is a candy store. We have options resembling Kacchha Mango at one end and Lindt & Sprüngli at the other. Based on how richly lined the buyer's pockets are, one can make a measured choice.

And as for the result of this particular test drive, i may go on to say that the prospective buyer isn't convinced that Honda deserves to get one and a half million rupees from him for the BRV - a vehicle which (as per him) he would have had no qualms in buying had he got it for around twelvish lakhs.

NB: Dear Mods and Official reviewers, while trying to record my subjective experiences, I have found a few pounds of extra respect for the work you do in composing those objective reviews. Hats off to you all.
dailydriver is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 09:01   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so here's what BRV is up to in North
Hi,

That's a fair number of accidents that you witnessed on this trip

How did the car do in the mountains? Does one feel slightly handicapped in an automatic vehicle? Are there any tips or pointers that you would like to share.

We have a black lab too. What do you call him/her? Please do share the experience of the pet friendly accommodation that you would have opted for.

Thanks,
Promit
promit is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 15:38   #972
Team-BHP Support

BR-V wading through a flooded street in Kerala.

Video credit: Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
How did the car do in the mountains? Does one feel slightly handicapped in an automatic vehicle? Are there any tips or pointers that you would like to share.
Whenever we need to overtake fast moving vehicles on a hilly road, we shift to S mode for that quick burst of acceleration. No other handicap as such.

Last edited by SmartCat : 13th June 2018 at 15:44.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 16:18   #973

BR-V wading through a flooded street in Kerala.
- is this petrol or diesel BRV?
Old 30th June 2018, 19:44   #974
BHPian

A question from a BRV owners to others in the forum. I plan to travel with the full complement of adults and kids in the BRV and will have luggage too.

Was planning to get "AmazonBasics Rooftop Car Carrier Bag" because it can be directly attached to the roof rails, but am not sure if the BRV's roof rails will be able to hold this on. Every time I check the rails, it looks like there are there for the appearance only.

Your thoughts?

If not, any suggestions for carriers or roof boxes?
Old 1st July 2018, 20:54   #975
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Was planning to get "AmazonBasics Rooftop Car Carrier Bag" because it can be directly attached to the roof rails, but am not sure if the BRV's roof rails will be able to hold this on. Every time I check the rails, it looks like there are there for the appearance only.
Those roof rails are proper load carriers - so you can attach a luggage rack or a roof box or carrier bag. Your actual questions should be -

1) Is it 100% water proof? Read 1,2,3 star reviews of the product to see how it performs in heavy rain.
2) Without a luggage rack, won't the roof of the car be bent out of shape because of the 30 plus kilograms load?
3) Will it slide & move forward when you brake hard?
4) How "deep" is the carrier bag? Will you have buy smaller soft luggage bags to fit the carrier bag?

Most Viewed