Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2021, 21:37   #1171
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Thank you for your advice. I was wanting to take the car to a local mechanic. However, a bit sceptical as I have never taken my car other than to Manufacturer (Honda’s and Hyundai’s) for service or when in case of issues.

As for the AC, it blows hot air from all vents. It works well after a service for few months and then the issue recurs. This has been the case since 2018. I guess there is some issue with AC unit itself.

I also use Honda’s magnetic shade on the rear windows. However this does not give any respite when AC is not functioning.

As you said, I would certainly want to take my car to local trustable AC mechanic, just that I still have not identified one.

For noise insulation, I will also try out your suggestion. However, are you aware of any place where we can actually test the difference before it can be purchased? I would want to know how much difference it makes before I get it.
Old 25th January 2021, 00:34   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Indranil,

Very simple procedure. Approach your SA at the local HASS and ask to extend the warranty. Pay the required amount and...that's it! You can extend for another 5 years. I paid about 14k for 2 years additional warranty. Make sure you do this before your current warranty expires or else there will be some additional charges.

Regards,
SS
Hi,
Thanks again. I went for my first paid service to the Whitefield Honda this time. This is because the Saphire Honda Showroom and service center has been shutdown completely. We were told that if we choose to go for extended warranty, then we will also be offered with a discount of RS 1000/- on the service charges. Myself and my wife discussed and decided to go for one year, since both 2 year as well as 1 year seemed to be almost of the same cost per year. Next year we will again go for another year extension of warranty and claim another RS 1000/- discount on our next service.
indranilmuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 00:47   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
Hi all, I have been following this thread since the beginning and i should say this has helped me a lot in many ways. I am glad that i am now a member and could post my first one on this thread.

I got my BRV in Apr 2017 and it has been a love hate relationship from the beginning. I have owned i10 and Honda City before i got the BRV. My kids seem to love this car as they have enough space to carry all the things that they want on all our long trips. I usually lay inflatable bed in the 2nd row where they can sleep and 3rd row is where they can sit and play during the long trips.

Having said this, there have been quite a few niggles that i have been facing since the beginning.

1. AC is completely ineffective during summers. Even if i turn on to the max, the cabin does not cool. I had taken several times to Honda Service where they checked it, refilled gas several times. They had not noted any leaks and they still have not identified the solution. They seem to acknowledge the issue though. I have not put any type of film on the windshield and windows. Will it help and if yes, which one should i go for without having to worry about fines.

2. The AC Air-flow slider is flimsy. It kept breaking and i after a few months stopped using it altogether. I just roll down the windows to let the air flow and then turn on AC.

3. Windows are jittery. It either needs to be rolled down or up completely and can not be driven with windows slid down half way. They vibrate a lot and seems it cannot withstand high speeds. I usually don’t like rolling down the window half way but it still the issue cannot be neglected.

4. As i was new to CVTs and automatics, i did not initially get the hang of effective use of accelerator and my FE dropped to 6 to7. Then it steadied and remains at 9 in city and 14/15 on Highways. My Honda City (Manual) used to give me 12 in City and 15 on Highways.
Warm welcome to the Team BHP family. I have the Honda BRV iVTEC VX Style Edition, manual gear shift.

1. I get around 12 kmph in the city and 16 kmph on the highway.
2. Being the top model, it has got a heat reducing windsheild and I have also noticed that the windows are all having tinted glass. I have also purchased the mangetic curtains with zips and it really helps build up the AC temperature within the car.

What I do is, I usually put the blowers to point on the roof and then run the second row AC vents to circulate the air. This is because hot air rises and I feel that the blow on the roof eventually cools down the entire cabin without making anyone feel uncomfortable to sit in front of the AC for too long.

As per my driving habits, I am calm on the roads, allowing everyone else to pass through. Also, I never open the window and rarely switch off the AC.
Old 25th January 2021, 14:05   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indranilmuk View Post

What I do is, I usually put the blowers to point on the roof and then run the second row AC vents to circulate the air. This is because hot air rises and I feel that the blow on the roof eventually cools down the entire cabin without making anyone feel uncomfortable to sit in front of the AC for too long.:
Thanks Indranil, thanks.. will check this out and see if it makes any difference. My larger concern is on the efficiency of my AC. Could be an issue with leaks / AC unit itself. I am planning to get the car checked by AC mechanic in Coimbatore, hopefully it will get sorted out.
Vikashmalya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:04   #1175
BHPian

Guys I drove the BRV petrol for some distance on the Delhi-Agra expressway.

- Found it more stable than any other Honda (but must say, it was full with 4 adults and 3 children)

- the steering was not light like.other Hondas. It was stiff enough and gave a fairly confident feeling on the highway (did not go beyond 120 kph though)

- It has 6 manual gears, but the gearing is wierd. Though one can engage the sixth gear at a low speed, but the flipside is that RPM is not very low at 100+ speeds

At 100 kph: ~2700 rpm
At ~113 kph: 3000 rpm

Since have mostly driven diesel vehicles, found the RPM to be a bit high for a car with six gears

- Got an overall average of 14.25 kmpl (tankfull method) for the entire Delhi-Agra round trip (was 15 kmpl as per MID while going)
jessie007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 11:49   #1176
BHPian

One thing I forgot to mention. It was quite noisy on the highway. More of wind noise, than engine noise. Didn't expect this from a million plus rupees vehicle
jessie007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 10:56   #1177
BHPian

Has anyone upgraded your tyres yet? Mine has run close to 40k kms and lately during the 6 months or so, i have had multiple punctures on tyres. Also, the tyres seem to be weak and do not hold pressure consistently. My left tyres are always 40% less than other tyres. I check them every 2 weeks. I am planning to change / upgrade my tyres. Considering the issues related to road noise seeping in, i was planning to get tyres that would reduce the noise. I am currently running Goodyear that came stock. Would Conti or Michelin make difference in cabin noise and comfort? Else Pls suggest any other make that can do this.. Also, would upsizing tyres further reduce the FE? WHat is the safe size that we can upgrade to without having to compromise on FE?
Old 4th February 2021, 11:13   #1178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone upgraded your tyres yet? Mine has run close to 40k kms and lately during the 6 months or so, i have had multiple punctures on tyres. Also, the tyres seem to be weak and do not hold pressure consistently. My left tyres are always 40% less than other tyres. I check them every 2 weeks. I am planning to change / upgrade my tyres. Considering the issues related to road noise seeping in, i was planning to get tyres that would reduce the noise. I am currently running Goodyear that came stock. Would Conti or Michelin make difference in cabin noise and comfort? Else Pls suggest any other make that can do this.. Also, would upsizing tyres further reduce the FE? WHat is the safe size that we can upgrade to without having to compromise on FE?
One of the 4 tires holding less air (or leaking more) is for sure a sign of either a slow puncture or a cracked/damaged/malfunctioning valve. Please take it to a proper puncture repair shop and thoroughly check for the source of air leakage. I have often seen many times a puncture goes unnoticed when the shop fellows try to fix it in a hurry.

Also, I personally do not see why your tires are prone to multiple punctures in the last 6 months than before while you mention that you have driven 40K km. I would treat that as a coincidence and nothing else. If the tread wear so prominent and end of life?

Regarding your query on a suitable upgrade/change, if you are looking for silent performance, Conti UC6 should be it. The Michelins are no doubt good but I have found Contis to be more silent than the Michelins. Further, Michelins are not easily available as before in India and that is a concern too.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:41   #1179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, would upsizing tyres further reduce the FE? WHat is the safe size that we can upgrade to without having to compromise on FE?
205/60 R16 is the best "upgrade" for BRV (stock 195/60 R16) - you get around 5% increase in width and profile. Also, since 205/60 R16 size is standard size in sub-4m compact SUVs, these tyres are widely available. So as a bonus, you get 10% to 20% lower price than 195/60 R16s of the same model/brand since 205/60 is "fast-moving" size (from tyre dealer point of view).

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20181124_111529.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20190219_181627.jpg

I'm using 205/60 R16 MRF ZV2Ks. Compared to standard Michelins, there is less grip in corners (tyres start protesting early) but other than that, no other negatives (in terms of noise levels or braking or acceleration or fuel economy, for example).

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th February 2021 at 11:46.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 12:01   #1180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
205/60 R16 is the best "upgrade" for BRV (stock 195/60 R16) - you get around 5% increase in width and profile.
Ideally yes since the stock is 195mm wide.

However, a crucial aspect to upgrade apart from the extra width and marginal increase in sidewall (if at all) would be the size of the stock Rim/Alloys.

What is the stock rim width for the BRV? Since the stock tires come in 195, I presume it should be 6J for sure. On 6J, 205mm tires would fit just about perfectly and hence a sensible upgrade too. Anything less wider (like 5.5J) and 205 on them means one can easily notice a Balloon effect or would always feel that the tires are underinflated due to the folding sidewalls.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:07   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
One of the 4 tires holding less air (or leaking more) is for sure a sign of either a slow puncture or a cracked/damaged/malfunctioning valve.
I wish that is the case. I have taken it multiple times to Service and also to local puncture shops. They all seem to say that the tyre is weak. The threads seem fine to me and i have not faced any issues in terms of losing grip while driving except when the tyre pressure is uneven.

I am planning to take it to a reliable store in Chennai here to check the tyre health and then take the call accordingly.

Quote:
205/60 R16 is the best "upgrade" for BRV (stock 195/60 R16) - you get around 5% increase in width and profile. Also, since 205/60 R16 size is standard size in sub-4m compact SUVs, these tyres are widely available. So as a bonus, you get 10% to 20% lower price than 195/60 R16s of the same model/brand since 205/60 is "fast-moving" size (from tyre dealer point of view).
Thanks, i will keep this in mind when i am upgrading the tyres. Can you pls tell me how much it cost you?

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th February 2021 at 16:23.
Vikashmalya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:31   #1182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
IWhat is the stock rim width for the BRV? . Anything less wider (like 5.5J) and 205 on them means one can easily notice a Balloon effect or would always feel that the tires are underinflated due to the folding sidewalls.
No idea, but there is definitely no ballooning effect.

Quote:
Thanks, i will keep this in mind when i am upgrading the tyres. Can you pls tell me how much it cost you?
ZV2Ks cost me around Rs. 6,300 per tyre couple of years ago. Since I was at the MRF store, I checked the prices of MRF Wanderer & MRF Perfinza sub-brand of the same size too. Wanderers cost around Rs. 6,800 while Perfinza was priced at Rs. 7,200. Usually with tyres, lower price equals comparatively long life + lower grip + hardy compound. Higher up the price ladder you go, you get better corner grip/wet road performance but need to compromise on life of the tyre.

I'm done with soft grippy tyres like Michelins. My OEM Michelins showed sidewall cuts (of varying depth) in two tyres quite early, probably due to bad roads/flying stones. Problem with sidewall cuts is that you wouldn't know if it is a minor issue or a major issue, and tyres have to be replaced.

Last edited by SmartCat : 4th February 2021 at 16:44.
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 16:48   #1183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No idea, but there is definitely no ballooning effect.
I saw your pic with 205 and they fit quite well and was sure it's definitely above 5.5J. A website that I checked earlier confirmed the Alloy size as 16 x 6J.

The ballooning effect isn't that pronounced like in case of my car with 5.5J but if you park the car on a kerb where the weight is shifted to one side, you will notice it easily. I have used 205 profile for my car for almost a lac Kms and plan to again switch to 205 after my current set wears out.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 20:20   #1184
BHPian

Hello dear BHPians and BR-V owners.
I don't know if this is an appropriate thread to post this query, please pardon me.
I am looking for a pre-owned Honda BR-V with the following requirements-
1. Year of purchase/manufacture 2017 or later
2. V or VX variant
3. Petrol engine only
4. Manual transmission
5.Bangalore KA registered
6. No specific choice for color

We will be purchasing this car to replace our aging 2008 Honda City Zx.
Budget is around 8.5l .
I am posting this query to seek your help in identifying existing BR-V owners (from friend circle/acquaintance/Whatsapp groups) who are looking forward to sell their BR-V in near future.
Please PM me incase you see any good example for sale.
Cheers!
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 16:20   #1185
Team-BHP Support

BR-V in 2 adults + 2 kids + 2 bicycles mode:

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20210228_161238.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20210228_161248.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20210228_161432.jpg

No need to remove front wheels (bigger cycle) and training wheels (little cycle) while transporting either.

Last edited by SmartCat : 28th February 2021 at 16:23.
SmartCat is online now   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks