Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2022, 22:21   #1231
BHPian

Re: Five years with my Honda BR-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpWarp View Post
That's very unlike Honda, you indeed seem to be unlucky one. If you like Alcazar then go for it
There is compromise to be made in every vehicle in every price bracket. For me reliability and peace of mind ownership is one of the most important criteria. So I can understand your inclination towards Hyundai. Go for it.
I have decided NOT to give away BRV for now. My 2nd test drives of both Alcazar and Safari convinced me that moving to either is not in any manner an Upgrade from BRV. Rather than spending 25L for a car that underperforms, i thought i will spend whatever it is to get the BRV in shape. Hopefully i wont regret this decision in the long run. I have been using this for 5 years now and i think i will hold on to couple of more years.
Vikashmalya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 10:02   #1232
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
I am surprised why BR-V is one of the best selling vehicles in SEA markets but was a dud in India.

Unless majority of Indians are buying cars for 8-10 inch ICE or other gimmicky features. I would take paddle shifters any-day over a touch screen, but that's just me.
I think it flopped mainly due to MUV look, especially the side profile. True about paddle shifters, a lot of emphases is on gizmos nowadays, driving enthusiasts would prefer driving aids/controls anytime over other gizmos.
Old 14th February 2022, 11:12   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
I have decided NOT to give away BRV for now. My 2nd test drives of both Alcazar and Safari convinced me that moving to either is not in any manner an Upgrade from BRV. Rather than spending 25L for a car that underperforms, i thought i will spend whatever it is to get the BRV in shape. Hopefully i wont regret this decision in the long run. I have been using this for 5 years now and i think i will hold on to couple of more years.
Brother you are absolutely spot-on. Why spend Rs. 25-30 Lakhs if the new vehicle is not an upgrade to the BRV we currently own.
I just did my 5th year/50,000kms servicing of my BRV. All is well. Next servicing will see the fuel filter, spark plugs, belt, brake-oil, gear-oil being replaced. I wanted to change all these in the 5th year servicing but the Honda servicing centre declined. They flush cleaned the radiator with liqui-moly and again flushed with distilled water, then refilled new coolant. The front suspension "mounts" have taken a toll, will get them replaced soon. Apart from this no mechanical issues till date, all I am planning to replace have run their life, no premature fault in any part of BRV.

After finishing the servicing i took my BRV on a 400kms safari in Mayurjharna Elephant Reserve, District Jhargram, West Bengal for two days. Jumbo performance by the BRV with three adults and a kid on terrain fit for landrovers.

Brother if you find a justifiable upgrade to the BRV kindly let me know, I will follow you

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 14th February 2022 at 11:31. Reason: Proof Read.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 11:20   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Brother if see find a justifiable upgrade to the BRV kindly let me know, I will follow you
True.. None whatsoever in this segment and at this price point. Unless of course we jump 2 segments above. Only after taking test drives of cars including Safari, Alcazar and Innova did I realise the worth.

Last edited by Vikashmalya : 14th February 2022 at 11:25. Reason: Error
Vikashmalya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 11:36   #1235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Brother if you find a justifiable upgrade to the BRV kindly let me know, I will follow you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikashmalya View Post
True.. None whatsoever in this segment and at this price point. Unless of course we jump 2 segments above. Only after taking test drives of cars including Safari, Alcazar and Innova did I realise the worth.
A car cannot be an 'upgrade' and be at the same price point. At best, you will have cars with more features perhaps.

Eg: XL6 is comparable with BRV. I would rate XL6's third row comfort a notch better than BRV, because of slightly higher seating position. Like BRV's, third row of XL6 reclines and there is enough bootspace with 3rd row up.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 12:38   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
A car cannot be an 'upgrade' and be at the same price point. At best, you will have cars with more features perhaps.

Eg: XL6 is comparable with BRV. I would rate XL6's third row comfort a notch better than BRV, because of slightly higher seating position. Like BRV's, third row of XL6 reclines and there is enough bootspace with 3rd row up.
I agree.. However, my viewpoint was in the context of Alcazar and Safari which are close to 8 to 10 lakh higher than BRV. I couldn’t find one car matching up the BRV in terms of drive ability and space even if you are willing to spend 6 to 8 lakhs more. Innova top end is priced way over and not even comparable.

About XL6 / Ertiga, yes, both these match up BRV spec wise and space wise. It is bit wider than BRV too. Me and my colleague got our BRV and Ertiga (Newer model) together. Though our needs were similar our choices were different.
Vikashmalya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2022, 22:27   #1237
BHPian

I am also in the same boat. I have completed 5 yrs of ownership with 84k kms on odo. Can't think of worthy upgrade without burning the pocket royally. I took my BRV in places where I thought it would not possible for FWD. I did donuts on my BRV. It has been good exp so far[Touchwood]

No rear wheel drive.. no problem. Do the donuts in the reverse

arun_kun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:23   #1238

Hi Br(a)vians

My mother hates the bench seat - she gets back pain - even for a 6 hour journey. In the earlier 2006 Honda City - she never complained. I also noticed when I sat in the middle row - the seat is too small.

Are there any simple alternatives to this?

1. Can I extend the breadth of the bench seat somehow.

2. Or - Can I replace the bench seats with 2 captain seats.

Is there any dealer in Bangalore who can do this? Has anyone tried this?
Old 6th March 2022, 23:26   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencat View Post
Hi Br(a)vians

My mother hates the bench seat - she gets back pain - even for a 6 hour journey. In the earlier 2006 Honda City - she never complained. I also noticed when I sat in the middle row - the seat is too small.

Are there any simple alternatives to this?

1. Can I extend the breadth of the bench seat somehow.

2. Or - Can I replace the bench seats with 2 captain seats.

Is there any dealer in Bangalore who can do this? Has anyone tried this?
Hello, I will try to answer your queries:

1) The breadth of the seat can’t be increased since it’s already placed at maximum available space.

2) The height of BRV is pretty less and I doubt captain seats will fit into the same. Also the narrow width of the car will result into minimal gap between the captain seats, all these factors will make the 3rd row inaccessible.

Alternatively, I would suggest you to get some cushioning, padding done which will ease the comfort.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 00:21   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Br(a)vians

You are comparing the best Sedan (I had the Arrow one before the BRV) in its segment with something that is/was 'just the right fit' for its segment.

Not sure of your variant but if your OEM seats are fabric, you can add an extra leather cover and the seats will get about 10% better in comfort. Or you can try a double cover if not the synthetic leather.

My BRV has an extra synthetic leather cover and it is slightly better than OEM in middle row.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 00:50   #1241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My mother hates the bench seat - she gets back pain - even for a 6 hour journey. In the earlier 2006 Honda City - she never complained.
Problem with a seat that reclines is that it has to be manually placed at good comfortable angle. If it is too upright or too angled, it can quickly get uncomfortable over long journeys. Next time, check if backrest angle is the culprit. If possible, show her how to adjust backrest angle.

Last edited by SmartCat : 7th March 2022 at 11:19.
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 23:11   #1242
BHPian

People who are struggling with that old Digipad 1.0 still, there is some good news. I found some very useful videos on the YouTube, created by a channel called TravelTech. I have tried those software myself and they do work pretty well. I didn't knew about them, so just thought of sharing.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TravelTECHchannel

Also, recently I went to the Honda showroom near to my place (Whitefield Honda) as my car's old body cover is almost dead now and requires a replacement. The showrooms were running out of stock, as they said this is a discontinued model, so it is not possible to get accessories for BRV now. Even though, parts will be pretty much available and the costs were surprisingly reasonable.

I found that Honda has launched a new Digipad of size 10 inch. The showroom claimed that this can be replaced on my BRV against the old 7 inch Digipad 1.0. This one has both Android Auto as well as Apple Car Play. They said the rear view camera also needs to be replaced and the entire panel holding this AVN system on the car. The entire cost for replacing this unit will be RS 35,000/-. I found this pretty decently priced.
indranilmuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 10:04   #1243
BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Recently I got the 5th year/50,000 kms servicing done on my 2017 model Honda BRV Petrol MT. And at that time a few replaceable parts were unavailable at the HASS so ordered them and got those parts changed immediately although I had not experienced any issue with the parts replaced, But as a routine measure i wanted to be on the safe side. The parts replaced are :-

(i) Fuel Strainer (Petrol Filter),
(ii) Set of spark plugs, &
(iii) Front Shocker Mount (pair of rubber bushes for each shocker).

Replacing the petrol filter was the most time taking portion of work. The centre row seat (right) had to be tumbled and below was the fuel tank which was accessed and the Unit of fuel filter cum pump was taken out. The pump and a mesh filter attached to it were cleaned and the fuel strainer replaced. At least 20 different small parts had to be replaced in the fuel filter unit.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20220406_080133_294.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20220406_080134_657.jpg

Next the front shocker's mounts were replaced and wheel alignment done.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20220406_085207_440.jpg
(The rubber mount has two protruding rings - inner and outer. The outer ring is placed an inch above the inner ring in the new piece <left> whereas both the inner and outer rings have worn out and and have become levelled in the old piece <right>, and that is defect due to which the front end of my vehicle had sagged down by an inch, and now after replacement the front end of my BRV has risen an inch higher than being sagged earlier.)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20220401_101907.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20220406_085208_689.jpg

Lastly the spark plugs were replaced with the same NGK make.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_20220401_101141.jpg
(DIFR6D-13)

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20220406_080135_759.jpg
(Old Vs. New)

Next up on my maintenance list are the belt and the water pump which I intend to replace at 60,000 kms/ 6th year.

Thanks for your patient reading,

Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2022, 14:59   #1244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

What you'll like:

• A 7-seater
• Spacious, practical interiors. Excellent legroom and headroom in the 1st and 2nd rows
• Fast petrol, smooth CVT
• Compliant ride quality & neutral handling. 210 mm of ground clearance!
• Effortless to drive: light controls, easy maneuverability
• 691 liters of capacity with the last row folded away
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Large Boot space with all rows up? Check!
High Ground Clearance for bad roads? Check!
Compact Size? Check!
Japanese Reliability? Check!
I travelled today in a Bold Runabout Vehicle for 300+ kms. What bowled me over was the amount of luggage the car could take with only one half of the third row folded. Added to that, an absolutely smooth ride with the car cruising effortlessly at 100kmph. The only point that I didn't like was poor under thigh support.

This car sure makes for an excellent multi utility vehicle in the used car space.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv_2.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-brv_1.jpg

This short clip illustrates how the BR-V rides on a good highway.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th April 2022 at 05:10. Reason: As requested
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 22:48   #1245
BHPian

Hi

Has any one upgraded the tyres to 205/60 R16?

If so, how is the performance and any impact on mileage?

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks