Old 25th May 2016, 13:19   #31
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
Thanks for a great comprehensive review- just a few Qs:
1. Do the seats have ISOFIX?
2. Does the CVT have Hill Hold control?
1. No ISOFIX in Indian version which is a bummer ! Saving grace is that they have COP / child seats of various options that will fit.

2. No Hill-Hold in Indian version also. Though I believe with CVT its not a huge issue.

ASEAN NCAP 5 star rating is for the Thai / Indo version not Indian version. Since its missing VSC / ISOFIX etc. one star will be cut.
-xplora- is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 13:36   #32
BHPian

Excellent Review !! Truly deserves 5 stars.

I, for one feel, there are only 2 reasons which are in favor of this 'SUV'.
1- the 7 seats
2- the Honda badge.

Now, for the 1st point, it is definitely a niche category. Not everyone wants to move 4 to 5 adults and 2 kids together many times. So we will have to keep a close eye on the TBhp Monthly sales reports to see the numbers.

For the 2nd point, we all know the drop in quality levels in products coming from Honda. As mentioned in the review, its a pity that Honda seems to be moving towards Maruti than Hyundai when it comes to quality.

Though missing features such as auto-dimming IRVM, cruise control, touchscreen head unit, driver arm rest and a proper dead pedal are sinful, a missing camera is culpable, but missing parking sensors deserve death penalty.
Can we know who has finalized the feature list of this SUV and who approved it? Is it a 'bug' in Honda's software which omitted the features without anyone's knowledge? Did someone just miss adding them?

Eagerly awaiting the Nation's verdict on this Honda 'SUV', which for me is a failure.

Last edited by drive2eternity : 25th May 2016 at 13:37.
drive2eternity is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 13:50   #33
BHPian

I had checked out the Honda BRV couple of weeks back. It was 2 days before the official launch date in our area and the car was parked in the service bay. There was a Mobilio which came for service near the area where the BRV was parked. After taking a good look at the BRV, walked to the Mobilio to see what is different in BRV. I was really shocked at the similarity between the two cars. That explains the reason why Honda has directed its dealers to move out Mobilios from the display area in showrooms. I really felt that BRV is just an MPV, marketed heavily as a SUV. I was really disappointed to know that BRV is nothing but a Mobilio facelift. Sad that many of the renowned car magazines did not point out this fact in their reviews.
Old 25th May 2016, 14:05   #34
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues who had put down an initial booking money deposit for the BRV petrol top - end, before he saw the vehicle, cancelled his booking last week.

His grouses were:
1. Three abreast seating in 2nd row was very tight
2. No multimedia / infotainment touchscreen
3. No reversing aids or reverse camera as part of standard fitment which he thought should be mandatory for a vehicle measuring close to 4.5metres, bumper - to - bumper in overall length.
4. He was not very happy with the build quality. Was telling me that the outside door opening handle thickness and tactile feel felt like "as if one was grabbing a dried up chicken leg"

He told me he has put his money down on a 1.3 S-Cross. According to him, the S-Cross comfortably accommodated three people at the rear. He also felt that the build quality and fit and finish of interior plastics in the S-Cross was better than the Honda. And lastly, the top end S-Cross was loaded to the gills with equipment.

Point is: Has Honda been a bit over ambitious when speccing up the BRV? The person who i spoke about is a typical 1st time SUV/soft roader buyer. Had a hatch before and seeks quality over saving a few bank notes.

It's quite surprising to find Honda diluting its "perceived quality" standards. When other "mass market" brands, for example - Tata, Maruti, Hyundai(they always had good quality anyways) - are actually upping the ante in the "feel good" factor stakes, isn't the time not right for the Honda product planners to understand this shift in customer taste and launch products in line with it?
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
The urban SUV segment is growing at a fast pace in India.
Indeed. What with companies like Hyundai, Ford, Suzuki/Maruti, Mahindra, Renault and now Honda manufacturing mini SUV's that are high on quality and almost car like to drive.

Quote:
especially since the Mobilio flopped
Seems so but I wonder why. Did the interiors alone kill the product or the unwieldy design?

Quote:
Silly move of the month = heat absorbing windshield only on the top variant
Oh common Honda.

Quote:
The locking / unlocking action is quite silent
Good. Quite the opposite on my Fiat.

Quote:
This new dash is far better & much more contemporary than the el-cheapo one of the Brio.
It made a world of a difference to the interiors of the Amaze. I won't be surprised if this alone brought about renewed interest for the car.

Quote:
The interior is screwed together properly.
This is what matters. The Brio's dash, while ordinary to look at, never rattled.

Quote:
It's honestly disappointing that Honda chose to skip a reversing camera and parking sensors in this vehicle, at a time when cheaper hatchbacks are offering these aids.
More than a comparison made to cheaper hatchbacks, its a necessity on a car like this. I am sure Honda know this. They're just being stubborn.

Quote:
Honda should have definitely provided a more upmarket infotainment system in the BR-V.
The 14 lac City gets a slightly better looking head unit and the pricier BR-V goes low rent.

Quality, feature packed infotainment systems are the way to go and this is a must have when you are asking for 16 big one's.

Quote:
It comprehensively beats its competitors in the area of legroom, no contest.
The Japanese are aces at interior packaging.

Quote:
This noise can get irritating after a while; you will surely go down on the speed adjustment.
With an effective air conditioner, the use of higher blower speeds will be very rare.

Quote:
Interestingly, the cubbyhole on the left isn't as deep as the one on the right.
Due to the presence of the fuel filler and associated plumbing?

The BR-V sure looks more appealing than the Mobilio. Will it be a runaway success for Honda? Lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Advantage BRV
Another significant advantage would be Reliability.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th May 2016 at 14:13.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:16   #36
BHPian

Great review!

Happy to see Honda add a lot of features that they skimped upon in their premium hatchback: start/stop, keyless entry, projector headlamps.

All in all looks like a promising vehicle. The boot space is rather good.
The steering wheel very reminiscent of civic and first gen Jazz.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:16   #37
BHPian

Excellent Review as usual.

I was really disappointed when I actually saw the car in showroom especially when it's priced high and marketed as SUV.

When Mobilio was flop, why Honda carried the design trail to BRV?
Honda knows that they cannot capture rural market of India. It's the urban commuters who look for Honda. This was the best time to bring something better competitor to Creta.
Urban market is now aggressively trending towards compact SUV. A lengthier BRV need big place to park. Very few can accommodate BRV parking in urban houses.
When Honda has a capability to bring a strong competitor for creta, then why BRV?
If these trend continues in Honda, very soon they loose the market. I am a Honda fan, I don't want it to happen.

Lastly, please get away from that ugly front chrome design.
Old 25th May 2016, 14:35   #38
BHPian

BRV as a MPV

People looking for a MPV would evaluate Ertiga, Lodgy, BRV.

Brownie points for Ertiga

- MSIL badge, After Sales Service
- Price [ 69,000 drop for Hybrid due to excise cut ]
- Terrific mileage. 25 for Diesel

Lodgy

- Spacious
- More power than Ertiga

BRV

- Honda badge.
- More space and power than Ertiga
- Looks more appealing than Ertiga and Lodgy

Unless people are willing to spend 2 lacs more BRV is likely to loose out to Ertiga as Ertiga offers more value for money as a MPV.
speedkrish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 14:54   #39
BHPian

Fantastic review! Undoubtedly gets a 5 star rating.

In my opinion, this car is not the one which will be the game changer for Honda:

1. It's a souped up Mobilio: I agree a lot of folks might not realize that especially with the Mobilio thrown out of showrooms, but I have seen more and more people asking around or researching on the internet prior to purchasing cars. There's no hiding for Honda.

2. It's a 4+2 seater: As pointed out in the review, 3 adults can't sit in the middle row and nor can 1 sit comfortably in the last row over distances. Essentially it becomes a 4+2 kids. Other vehicles can easily manage 4+1 so it's essentially the additional kid only!

3. No cruise control: I drive on the Mumbai Pune expressway at least once a week (if not 2 or 3 times) and the cruise control is just fab to have. This is a miss at least in my books.

4. No phone controls on steering: Big, big miss! How can you not give this when you give Bluetooth? Are you expecting the phone to be swiped to answer the call? Or click a button on the deck?

5. Head-unit: This is a downright insult to any prospective customer. This is perfect for the half million rupee Brio but not the 1.5mn rupee BRV - I mean c'mon Honda! They could have charged 10-12k extra and surely given something better.

6. More premium over City: When I read the reviews and saw the car, my 4th gen City still feels far more premium over the BRV. Then how can it be priced higher?

7. 6th gear in petrol: This is a good and would have been good to have in my City especially on those expressway drives.

8. No reverse aids: Again - c'mon! Or maybe a way to increase accessory sales, i.e. dealer revenues / profits due to reducing sales volumes?

9. I happened to see the Mobilio next to the BRV at a service station when I had gone to give my City - most of the folks there were quite amused to see that Honda is trying to pull a quick one on potential customers by reintroducing the Mobilio as a SUV and also as CRV "ka chhota bhai"!

All in all, I am in the market for a so-called 7 seater but this would not be the one. BRV is doing 70% of Innova at 80% of the price so why not go for Innova itself? Or the Creta which offers 4+1 in comfort? Or maybe Ertiga which does 70% of Innova at 50% of the price? Or rent a car for the times when a 7-seater is needed and continue with the CITY??!!!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 25th May 2016 at 14:56.
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 15:03   #40
BHPian

How can Honda limit top speed to 140kph in this class of vehicle costing well over a million rupees? Simply wow
Old 25th May 2016, 15:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

If the manufacturer says its an SUV, not sure if many of mango people will disagree.

I hope it makes a dent in the market so that others can bring in something similar and to differentiate give us a little extra. They could have changed the looks just through the panels. Their motto could have been to be as lazy as possible.
Old 25th May 2016, 15:04   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Excellent Review as usual.

I was really disappointed when I actually saw the car in showroom especially when it's priced high and marketed as SUV.

When Mobilio was flop, why Honda carried the design trail to BRV?
Honda knows that they cannot capture rural market of India. It's the urban commuters who look for Honda. This was the best time to bring something better competitor to Creta.
Urban market is now aggressively trending towards compact SUV. A lengthier BRV need big place to park. Very few can accommodate BRV parking in urban houses.
When Honda has a capability to bring a strong competitor for creta, then why BRV?
If these trend continues in Honda, very soon they loose the market. I am a Honda fan, I don't want it to happen.

Lastly, please get away from that ugly front chrome design.
The reason is simple. Honda does not have a Creta competitor. HR-V is miles ahead of Creta in almost every sense, you can check out HR-V 2016 reviews on youtube from UK / SEA. HR-V would be priced and pitted against Tucson.

Indian market is still a cost driven market. If BR-V would have been priced 1 lac less, most of the reviews and sales forecast would have been praising Honda and BR-V. I think Honda has thought this through. Give the market a 6-7 seater Honda SUVish vehicle and all the missing features (read more profit for Honda), should be such that they can be fitted after-market. i.e. rev cam / AVN / leather pack.

Coming to Mobilio, with those looks, it is strictly a value based 6-7 people mover and that is where cost / spares etc. play a huge role. Maruti Ertiga is at a sweet spot there. If Maruti did not have Ertiga, Mobilio would have done better. Look at other similar markets where Mobilio actually does better than in India. While those who want comfortable people mover and had the budget, would not think of anything else than Innova.
-xplora- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 15:38   #43
BHPian

I have noticed that for some strange reason, car makers are moving the number plate housing on rear hatches of new SUV's downwards which according to me takes away from the butch look. It started with the Creta and the BR-V too has followed in the same path.

I am attaching an edited pic here (pardon my poor editing skills, I only know how to use paintbrush )

I would love to hear from other Bhpians as well, whether the edited car looks better or not.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-hondabrv05.jpg
captain.torque is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 16:06   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
2. It's a 4+2 seater: As pointed out in the review, 3 adults can't sit in the middle row and nor can 1 sit comfortably in the last row over distances. Essentially it becomes a 4+2 kids. Other vehicles can easily manage 4+1 so it's essentially the additional kid only!
Well I have 2 kids and I prefer them belted in their own seat. This car gives me the possibility of ferrying a few more adults as well.

Quote:
4. No phone controls on steering: Big, big miss! How can you not give this when you give Bluetooth? Are you expecting the phone to be swiped to answer the call? Or click a button on the deck?
Err.. I think the law says no phone while driving. So, can't really complain!

Quote:
6. More premium over City: When I read the reviews and saw the car, my 4th gen City still feels far more premium over the BRV. Then how can it be priced higher?
I've heard this in many forums and frankly all MPV/SUV designs are more expensive to make. A similarly priced good sedan will anydays be a better equipped and premium model.

Quote:
8. No reverse aids: Again - c'mon! Or maybe a way to increase accessory sales, i.e. dealer revenues / profits due to reducing sales volumes?
Does seem like the good old days when we had to get these done on our own. Now where is that friend returning from the USA...

Quote:
Or rent a car for the times when a 7-seater is needed and continue with the CITY??!!!
You just might found the best solution here. Zoomcar is there for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
BRV as a MPV

Unless people are willing to spend 2 lacs more BRV is likely to loose out to Ertiga as Ertiga offers more value for money as a MPV.
You're correct. But if perceived value for money was everything, none of the premium brands (Honda & Toyota included) would ever sell in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post

I, for one feel, there are only 2 reasons which are in favor of this 'SUV'.
1- the 7 seats
2- the Honda badge.
Agree fully and for someone with these needs, worth it's price.

Let's not forget that the Honda badge and reliability has value that can't be measured in plain rupees. Maruti sells more than everyone else combined primarily on the strength of it's badge. Toyota charges obscene money for it's Innova and we happily pay because we feel it's still worth it. Honda did this with the 1st and 2nd gen Honda City and did that till Verna and Vento started making big dents. But with the diesel it's back to the top again.
aptiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 16:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedkrish View Post
BRV as a MPV

Lodgy

- Spacious
- More power than Ertiga

BRV

- Honda badge.
- More space and power than Ertiga
- Looks more appealing than Ertiga and Lodgy

My cousin brother likes petrol cars and he has shortlisted Duster, Ertiga and BR-V.
Still he is under confusion as to what car to buy. Was waiting for BRV review to release on team bhp. The car is priced 2L more considering the bare minimum features it has.

Most Viewed