Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2017, 16:02   #736
BHPian

Welcome harish onboard. I personally believe you need not alter the vehicle appearance just because it's having some design carried over. Whatever you do, you can't hide the design traits. Anyways, still your car looks good. I personally liked the BRV very much and it's in my list. I am just waiting for my finances to settle. Can you share more pics of your car? In other angles may be...
GRAND23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2017, 16:15   #737
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnavuluru View Post
This is my first post on Team-BHP. I have tried my best to remove the Mobilio look from my BRV. This is how it looks like now. Please let me know your thoughts Not even sure if the attached pic is visible. Apologize if it is not visible.
Nicely done! The C Pillar has been blackened? I like the black strip on bonnet and doors. Post more pics please.

The extra fog lamps are an overkill though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
I personally believe you need not alter the vehicle appearance just because it's having some design carried over. Whatever you do, you can't hide the design traits.
Wise words.

Last edited by SmartCat : 8th April 2017 at 16:17.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2017, 09:20   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
..The number is pretty good and could have been better as I feel that WRV could have eaten some share of BRV.
I do see a few BRVs on the road now which is a sign of BRV gaining popularity although slowly.

Regarding WRV as a competitor, I feel that WRV's customer base is altogether different than BRV's. This past weekend I was discussing the same with one of the sales guys at a dealer and he too mentioned that potential WRV buyers are comparing it with i20, Ignis, Baleno etc. not BRV.
For BRV, potential buyer is a 'family' of 4 or 4+ with comfortable seating options a primary requirement. In this price bracket, the key competitors for BRV would be Ertiga or lower rungs XUV models (if diesel is the choice) both showing increased MoM sales as well.

And perhaps the dynamics of BS III and FY closing might have been a factor too across the board. It would be interesting to watch the trend over next few months.

cheers!
Old 10th April 2017, 12:03   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Nicely done! The C Pillar has been blackened? I like the black strip on bonnet and doors. Post more pics please.

The extra fog lamps are an overkill though.
Thanks Smartcat Yes, the C Pillar has been blackened. The black strip runs from the bonnet to the end of the roof. It is a BMW one. Got it done at a local Car Decor shop near my home in Hyd.
I really wanted a heavy SUV look because I have owned an imported Pajero in the past and wanted a similar rugged look on my BRV. Hence the XID lamps.

Posting a few more pics.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_4190.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_4191.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_4195.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_4196.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-img_4199.jpg

Mod Note : Please refer to Click here to view our pictorial help article on uploading pics.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th April 2017 at 09:54. Reason: Fixing attachments
harishnavuluru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2017, 19:02   #740
BHPian

24th May 2016 was the date when this link was created, including one I'm typing the total number of posts would be paltry 740! We are on just 50th page (thanks god, it's half century!) Just for note, BRV launched in India on 5th April 2016, more than a year back!

I'm worried what Honda India team is doing to create interest and excitement for the very capable BRV, are they? Honda please introspect before it is too late.
Old 12th April 2017, 10:42   #741

Off late, I am seeing more BRV's on the road. Was talking to wife today about it and she also said that maybe the deliveries are happening now.
Or is it that post the launch of WRV, dealers have started offering discounts on BRV thereby resulting in more sales of BRV.

The looks of BRV have started growing on me. The more I see them on road, the more appealing it's becoming.
I think I'll have to soon go for a testdrive for one.
mguliani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 10:44   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnavuluru View Post
This is my first post on Team-BHP. I have tried my best to remove the Mobilio look from my BRV. This is how it looks like now. Please let me know your thoughts Not even sure if the attached pic is visible. Apologize if it is not visible.
Hello there, welcome!.

Unless you demolish the car from B-C pillar and meticulously expunge any last memories of mobilio, "it" will always be there (lol). I was one of the vociferous critiques (in my circles) of mobilio's looks and guess what, I bought BRV so that does say a lot has changed in BRV if we inspect.

On your attempt to better the BRV looks, let's consider adding 'side moulding armour' (since sides is what resembles most like mobilio) and 'front guard'. The former will match the black strips on bonnet & roof while the latter is just for 'rough-n-tough' aesthetics though, don't expect any real world guard work from it. Agree with Smartcats that the extra set of fog lamps seem a bit of an overkill as is. How about mounting 'em on the roof or put on square shaped ones?

overall, kudos for attempting the decor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
24th May 2016 was the date when this link was created, including one I'm typing the total number of posts would be paltry 740! We are on just 50th page (thanks god, it's half century!) Just for note, BRV launched in India on 5th April 2016, more than a year back! I'm worried what Honda India team is doing to create interest and excitement for the very capable BRV, are they? Honda please introspect before it is too late.
Well, let's do our bit and write down our ownership experiences more often?

The customer base for MPVs in this price range is limited (family kind) and so are the offerings. The only true competitor of BRV in this space is Ertiga IMO when it comes to a customer base with #1 priority of 4/5+ seating options. Ertiga has been selling more, no doubt but the thing that's going for Ertiga is good old "maruti" concept, i.e. A.S.S, resale and then Maruti's usual mass market masterstroke, the swashbuckling 3-4 lakh saving over BRV's variants.

No wonder then that Ertiga is now seen around much more as a Taxi than private vehicle. And even in the private usage customer base, the price difference is a *huge* factor for the common man. Now knowing the majority of Indian customers who focus on A.Price 2.Re-Sale 3.Mileage 4.nearest mechanic/service station Ertiga will cater to such masses while BRV in addition will provide exclusivity, elegance & a certain distinction although at a premium. Unless buyers are willing to shell out the extra 3-4 lakhs they might not even consider BRV and hence the less numbers off the inventory.

Had Ertiga not looked like decade old swift or dzire or not had the plain boxy looks overall or the national engine it carries, I might have contemplated saving 3-4 big ones and go the Ertiga way.

I expect BRV's sales figure to stay in vicinity of 1k/month until next version is launched whose 'kundli' we'll know at that time.

Overall, what do you think? I for one am a happy lot with BRV until I move into (and can stay comfortably) in Endeavour zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mguliani View Post
Off late, I am seeing more BRV's on the road. Was talking to wife today about it and she also said that maybe the deliveries are happening now. Or is it that post the launch of WRV, dealers have started offering discounts on BRV thereby resulting in more sales of BRV. The looks of BRV have started growing on me. The more I see them on road, the more appealing it's becoming. I think I'll have to soon go for a testdrive for one.
I too was hesitant to consider BRV but then family's needs got the better of my personal true blue SUV dreams. TD of CVT/iVTec combo appealed a lot to me over MT. Now after a few months of ownership the MPVish thoughts are fading away, driving experience is just like that of an elegant sedan while the seating-options/space is a boon with family on board.

Cheers!

Last edited by Aditya : 18th April 2017 at 08:07. Reason: Use of acronym (Endy)
wangdu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 12:07   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hello there, welcome!.

Unless you demolish the car from B-C pillar and meticulously expunge any last memories of mobilio, "it" will always be there (lol). I was one of the vociferous critiques (in my circles) of mobilio's looks and guess what, I bought BRV so that does say a lot has changed in BRV if we inspect.

On your attempt to better the BRV looks, let's consider adding 'side moulding armour' (since sides is what resembles most like mobilio) and 'front guard'. The former will match the black strips on bonnet & roof while the latter is just for 'rough-n-tough' aesthetics though, don't expect any real world guard work from it. Agree with Smartcats that the extra set of fog lamps seem a bit of an overkill as is. How about mounting 'em on the roof or put on square shaped ones?

overall, kudos for attempting the decor.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts
I bought my BRV in July last year, and have clocked 11500 kms till now, which includes 3 highway trips each measuring in excess of 1500 kms. Each one was a different experience. The first one was to Shimoga to get cancer medicine for a friend's mom. The Karnataka roads really are in a bad shape on this route. But my BRV took all the bumps in its stride. Before this I had gone to Shimoga in my Chevy Optra 1.8 LS. But this ride was a very very smooth affair, mainly due to the high stance, good shocks & good road view. (I am very short)

The next trip was to Goa where again we encountered some vicious Karnataka roads (no offense to our friends from Karnataka). The BRV stood true to my expectations on the Ghat roads near Goa. I really enjoyed the nearly 100 kms (both ways) Ghat road drive. My longest to date.

The next trip was to Gadchiroli in Maharashtra. Except for a patch of 50 odd kms, the entire road has been carpeted well. On this trip I could really let the engine loose and touch some good speeds. The engine is very responsive and the braking gives you more than adequate assurance to accelerate.

Rest of the Kms on my odo have been in the city conditions in Hyd. With a CVT, a city ride is never a problem, even in a choke-a-block scenario. Luckily my office is not in the Hitech City area which is very congested. So I am enjoying my ride with my BRV.

Need one suggestion: I wanted to name my BRV. Like a real name. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Pros? Cons?
Awaiting some amazing responses. And yes, I am glad to be part of this awesome community.

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th April 2017 at 09:56. Reason: Fixing quote tags.
harishnavuluru is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 12:23   #744
Senior - BHPian

What sort of FE did the CVT yield on those trips, harish? Also, any problem with the ground clearance and the long wheel base?
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 21:13   #745
Team-BHP Support

Eventful month so far -

1) 10,000 kms 'free' service done for which I paid around Rs. 4,000 -

- Oil change Rs. 1,700
- 3M Interior cleaning Rs. 2,100

2) Lots of strange issues with keyless entry/go system -

- Although I had the keyfob with me in my pocket, the instrument cluster would display "NO KEY". And yes, I couldn't start the car. The system somehow recognized the key after 2 minutes. "Keyless go" is a bad, bad idea!
- The car refused to "lock" with button on the door and also the button on remote. However, no issues with unlocking. I had to manually lock the door with the key. The system somehow fixed itself after 30 minutes.

3) The BR-V transformed itself into a Scorpio Getaway/Tata Xenon truck when it was called upon to shift some junk from one house to another. The stuff inside the BR-V is what one would see in 1980's kitchen of a large family in rural coastal Karnataka - large metal (brass?) utensils and wooden "cooking accessories". Going by rates for antique kitchen utensils on OLX, this junk is worth a little fortune.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170415_112406_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170415_113233_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170415_113941_p.jpg

These utensils & wooden "accessories" are quite heavy. The rear sank and the front was raised a few inches. Thankfully, the distance travelled with this load was only 0.5 km to 1 km. We got this stuff off the car pretty quickly.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170415_113202_1_p.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170415_113149_1_p.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 15th April 2017 at 21:19.
SmartCat is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 10:29   #746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
What sort of FE did the CVT yield on those trips, harish? Also, any problem with the ground clearance and the long wheel base?
I got a FE of 14-15 kmpl on these trips. There were hardly any problems with respect to ground clearance nor long wheel base. In fact they came in quite handy.
Old 17th April 2017, 15:17   #747
BHPian

Hi friends,

Besides sharing first ever pictures of my BRV, here's an update at ~1500 kms in 2 months.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-start-3.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-start-4.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-sparkling-chromestart.jpg

So , the 1300 kms makes it 650kms/month or ~20 kms/day. That's shy & slow I know but I got two growling steeds (RE & Bonnie) keeping me company during work days and two other cars to keep in running condition too. But BRV shall see lot more mile crunching through summer without any concern of rising mercury.

Usage: 50:50 highways/urban commute.

General: Did the first free service after a month with no charges, no fluid changes only check-up. My grouse since day 1 is the unrefined experience (post#724) when opening the rear doors. It requires some focused effort (with tin sound) and this was raised to Honda & dealer customer care who arranged a SA to specifically check it during the service. Their feedback is that it's as-designed. The SA also showed me the same experience with Brio & Amaze. I still can't fathom why Honda approved this annoying 'user experience'.

What are your thoughts about it and how are you circumventing this if this has caught your attention?

FE (CVT):
In City conditions, ~900 kms: 10-12 kmpl; NH/SH/City roads combo of 400 kms: 12-14 kmpl (Auto AC always on, 4-5 passengers with some light weight luggage). I am mostly in sedate mode with only sparingly using pedal shifters in D/S modes. I'm an "eco" mode hunter to put it simply and I’ve learnt that eco mode lights up at 2k rpm/110kmph or around 1.5k rpm (under 2k) at other lower speeds.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-900-city.jpg
Honda BR-V : Official Review-highway-fe.jpg

Driving Experience:

1. Great for sedate/mildly-spirited driving which is fine as BRV is only for family related duties where acceleration in a jiffy is not the intent anyway. But out there on highways it does gently remind me that it's a rather docile vehicle and will get there but not cruze like. I'm still learning how not to experience the rubber-band effect.

1 b. When fully loaded: On trips within city with 5 Adults and 2 kids (10yrs age) and all good to report. After effects post shopping weren't unpleasant due to fairly good boot space being available even with all seats up (unlike xuv or ertiga).

Honda BR-V : Official Review-seatluggage.jpg

The seating options suits nicely for kids serving up as a fanatically guarded private space for leisure or when to have individual rows to sleep or even for nurturing egos during those grumpy times.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-seat-options.jpg

Honda BR-V : Official Review-grumpy.jpg

2. Ground Clearance: a very useful feature. Many times I’ve noticed the humps late but the frame never brushed or even touched the humps. There are many improperly done speed breakers on our city roads and BRV simply drives over. I would mostly be closing my eyes expecting to hear that "ting" metal-grazing-concrete sound but nothing, the 210 mm GC is a boon. (I recall that during purchase the sales person’s attempts to sell me the running boards were firmly put down only due to this reason that I wouldn’t want even a mm of GC lost due to accessory). The suspension setup does its work fairly good and doesn't send "thuds" into the cabin violently when the car hits undulations on the road.

3. Stability: Perfectly planted on road at high speeds and top marks through curves too. At ~70-80 kmph, the car stayed in its lane (as it was on when entering) while maneuvering through fairly sharp semicircle like curves till exiting. All this without children screaming in joy from rear like they would on my hatch.

4. AC: I have the window shades set up but I think due to the length of the cabin it doesn't "chill" during the peak hot hours of the day (these days) but overall I would say it does its job with roof mounted unit keeping the rear passengers comfortable.
Honda BR-V : Official Review-hotac.jpg

Trivial: Bought car shampoo, wax, interior cleaners and it does take its toll doing all the work but it’s satisfying at the end. Credit where it’s due, my kids are running their imaginary service centre and are sharing fair bit of work load keeping the BRV clean & gleaming.

Random pics - All black dash with Alpine ICE, yours truly with fellow "hunters"
Attached Thumbnails
Honda BR-V : Official Review-dash-2.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-dash-alpnie.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-dash-day.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-dashalpine.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-yew.jpg  

Honda BR-V : Official Review-20170415_090352-2.jpg  

wangdu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th April 2017, 17:34   #748
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

[quote=harishnavuluru;4181860]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Hello there, welcome!.

Need one suggestion: I wanted to name my BRV. Like a real name. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Pros? Cons?
Awaiting some amazing responses. And yes, I am glad to be part of this awesome community.
Beowulf the BRV...

Just because of the ancient Viking inspired English legend...a good name for a great station wagon.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 06:11   #749

The Alpine ICE looks like OEM. Is it a dealer accessory or aftermarket?
Old 19th April 2017, 20:15   #750
BHPian

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review issue with gearbox

I like to share my update. Bought manual BRV top trim for my Dad last august. Don't drive much covered 2800K till now. The gearbox was giving issues right from begning it was stiff and did not slot in( I have a corolla altis, swift and accent no problem like such on them).
Today Dad came from dentist and could not reverse in our ramp. Finally took it to Honda and they have acknowledged the issue and kept the vehicle with them saying that they will get the Honda plant guys to come and take a look as they have no knowledge to the issue.

I don't know if I should wait and watch or get after them.
Any suggestions ??

Most Viewed