Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 15:09   #1081
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda BR-V : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
1. A car that is Safe and Predictable and Reliable on the highway 2. A car that is not big and unwieldy ( The reason why I sold my innova , also lack of automatic and Airbags) 4. Easy to maintain , easy availability of spares, should the need arise ( Love my Maruti in this aspect) 6. A powerful AC at the rear that can keep my dogs cool during the journey 9. Driver Seat height adjustment
BRV CVT meets the above requirements.

Quote:
3. Automatic transmission with ABS/EBD ( cruise control if possible)
No cruise control. I think Maruti XL6 is equipped with this feature.

Quote:
5. Flat folding seats that create a flat surface that can house at least 2 dogs in the boot
BRV has compartmentalized boot floor. Maybe you can get smaller dogs in the middle row and bigger dogs at the back. The third row does not fall flat on the floor.

Honda BR-V : Official Review-p_20170307_113906_p.jpg

Quote:
7. Ability to keep the car running (AC running) while the doors are locked and ability to carry the keys with me, when I stop for refreshments or when I go shopping near my farm.
You cannot lock the car when the engine is running.

Quote:
8. Reach and rake adjustable steering wheel
No reach adjustment

Quote:
Also , how often should the CVT's belt be changed? How often does the CVT require maintenance ?
No idea about belt, but oil needs to be changed every 2 years/20,000 kms

Quote:
What is the maintenance interval of the BRV ( VW is once a year which is good )?
1 year/10,000 kms
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 15:44   #1082
BHPian

You cannot lock the car when the engine is running.

Does the BRV not have a normal traditional Key and a key hole on the door?
Old 7th September 2019, 20:33   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the BRV not have a normal traditional Key and a key hole on the door?
Yes, BRV has a normal traditional key hidden inside the remote and a keyhole on the passenger door (not the driver's side). Did some testing with engine ON:

- You can walk over to the passenger door and lock it with the key. Central locking works, so all the doors lock.
- Weirdly, when unlocking, only the passenger door opens. So you need to slide inside and manually unlock the driver's door.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 20:48   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Yes, BRV has a normal traditional key hidden inside the remote and a keyhole on the passenger door (not the driver's side). Did some testing with engine ON:

- You can walk over to the passenger door and lock it with the key. Central locking works, so all the doors lock.
- Weirdly, when unlocking, only the passenger door opens. So you need to slide inside and manually unlock the driver's door.

Thank you so much for testing this for me. I am glad this works because this is very important for me to keep the engine and AC running while the door is locked.
rrnsss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 11:11   #1085

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Please fill up at the very first opportunity even if the range indicator
====
that would have been some scene
Absolutely agree!
I have a thumb rule that if the fuel indicator touches 2 bars, I have to stop at the nearest filling station. This keeps my nerves in control as I am kind of a control freak :P
harishnavuluru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 13:39   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
5. Flat folding seats that create a flat surface that can house at least 2 dogs in the boot
6. A powerful AC at the rear that can keep my dogs cool during the journey
7. Ability to keep the car running (AC running) while the doors are locked and ability to carry the keys with me, when I stop for refreshments or when I go shopping near my farm.

what you can do is, remove the 3rd row seats temporarily/permanently and fold the 2nd row seat. That would help get your two/three car loving dogs enough space.

A/C effectiveness is questionable during summer IMO and the blower gets noisy trying to cool down the cabin (perhaps due to large cabin space) but window shades can help a bit.

Quote:
.Did some testing with engine ON:

Was it in P or N? Engine might not switch off if it's in N
Did you check if Engine was still ON when you were say 50 feet away?
wangdu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:00   #1087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
Was it in P or N? Engine might not switch off if it's in N. Did you check if Engine was still ON when you were say 50 feet away?
- It was in P.
- Definitely more than 50 feet. I crossed the road, went into an ATM to withdraw cash.

Are these systems designed to shut off the engine when key is XX feet away from the car?
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2019, 14:11   #1088
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are these systems designed to shut off the engine when key is XX feet away from the car?
No they aren't. Engine keeps running unless switched off regardless of the key being inside, once its started. I think there have been cases where even GTO gave a car (BMW?) to a friend & they went miles apart by the time the key was found to be with GTO .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 10:29   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newway View Post
Has anyone tried installing cruise control in BRV. If yes, please share the details. I saw an after market kit ad in facebook but unfortunately it was from Pakistan (not sure if I can import from Pakistan).

I started using cruise control extensively in my Vento TSI. It's actually useful even in Bangalore city traffic so keen to explore the same options for BRV.
I was wondering about the same thing. Is it possible to get a Aftermarket Cruise control kit for the BRV ?
Old 13th September 2019, 10:39   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was wondering about the same thing. Is it possible to get a Aftermarket Cruise control kit for the BRV ?
Aftermarket cruise control units certified by ARAI are available. You can have a look here & contact them for further details -

Link - AutoCruise - AutoMate India, Pune
You'll find contact details on the portal too.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2019, 13:37   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
You can check out the auto cruz system from a Pune based company named Auto Mate India. A friend of mine has gone for their auto clutch system for his grand i10 and is very happy with it. You can give them a call / drop email. URL is below:-

http://automateindia.in/products/cruise-control/

Regards
Nikhil
Old 14th September 2019, 22:00   #1092
BHPian

Friends!

I have been dilly dallying about BRV vs Ertiga vs Innova.

I spoke to a very trustworthy friend who works for Ford, and he asked me to close my eyes and go for the BRV.

He knows my requirements very well.

He also said may be we will get deeper discounts during Navarathri time.

Currently Manasarovar Honda is quoting 15.5 L OTR.

Does this seem OK ?

Last edited by rrnsss : 14th September 2019 at 22:09.
Old 15th September 2019, 00:23   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Depends on what variant. You need to be specific
Old 15th September 2019, 11:29   #1094
BHPian

I am looking to buy the petrol CVT model.
Old 16th September 2019, 16:41   #1095
BHPian

CVT is a good option for start and stop city traffic, as I face here in Bangalore. I personally feel comfortable on the manual gearbox and had gone for the manual one. I am comfortable with this one as well. I use the combination of hand brake, clutch, gear and accelerator whatever is the appropriate one on a start and stop traffic. In Bangalore especially when you are doing this uphill (climbing up an underpass or a flyover). Manual works pretty well too. I have driven the CVT thrice during my test drive and I felt that the brakes lack a bit of smoothness that usually I get on the manual gearbox by balancing between the brake pedal and the accelerator pedal. It's a personal choice anyway.

Most Viewed