Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 18:36   #1576
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I tested the limits of my touring sport and im really impressed. Offroaded in fields, been on numerous potholes, jumped on speed breakers. 900kms in 2 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20180703wa0002.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20180703wa0000.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20180703wa0001.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20180703wa0005.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2018, 19:27   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
I tested the limits of my touring sport and im really impressed. Offroaded in fields, been on numerous potholes, jumped on speed breakers. 900kms in 2 days.

Is it MT/ AT ? If Manual, could you please let me know how good is the 6 Speed MT box with 2.4 engine ?

One of my friend is seriously considering Crysta, but confused between ZX MT & Touring Sport MT

Touring sport has 6 speed MT at the cost of few features - Cruise control , power adjust driver seat, passenger seat easy slide & speed sensing door lock too !!
Old 6th July 2018, 14:07   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Cruise Control Installed

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180703_111810.jpg

I installed cruise control in my Crysta GX automatic. Did the roadtest today and it is working. It was a DIY - from start to finish. Probably the only GX in India with a Cruise control.

Only ZX and touring sport has cruise control right? Does VX have?
Sankar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 15:11   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cruise Control Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Attachment 1778895

I installed cruise control in my Crysta GX automatic. Did the roadtest today and it is working. It was a DIY - from start to finish. Probably the only GX in India with a Cruise control.

How much did it costed, please share more details about procurement and installation.
Old 6th July 2018, 15:20   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Is it MT/ AT ? If Manual, could you please let me know how good is the 6 Speed MT box with 2.4 engine ?

One of my friend is seriously considering Crysta, but confused between ZX MT & Touring Sport MT

Touring sport has 6 speed MT at the cost of few features - Cruise control , power adjust driver seat, passenger seat easy slide & speed sensing door lock too !!
You also lose 4 airbags and probably ESP in the touring sport. If you are interested in Touring sport, 2.8 is the one to go for.
Old 6th July 2018, 17:49   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
You also lose 4 airbags and probably ESP in the touring sport. If you are interested in Touring sport, 2.8 is the one to go for.

Yes, Touring sport MT has 3 Airbags only but ESP/VSC is present in Touring sport

The confusion is between the 5 Speed MT on ZX Vs the 6 Speed MT on Touring sport
Old 7th July 2018, 13:13   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1778895

Oh wow Sankar. This is great. Is that TGA and please share more details. You really should come up with a seperate ownership thread man. Will be easy to refer for many like me.

And cruise control is not there on VX.

Last edited by samabhi : 7th July 2018 at 13:24.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2018, 23:37   #1583
BHPian

Has anyone installed any DRLs in the Crysta? I was thinking of picking up a set of Philips Daylight 8 as they're available for $110 (~₹7,570) on Amazon.com. I find it very perplexing that Toyota didn't install DRLs in such a massive vehicle, especially on the top trim models considering they're offered on other top of the line Toyota models such as the Corolla and even the new Yaris. Perhaps they're saving it for an eventual facelift?

In any case, are the pilot lights in the center of the headlights bright enough to function as DRLs? The last time I was in India and drove our Crysta, I turned them on highway runs which also turned on the rear tail lights. I figured the tail lights being on would function as an additional "rear DRL" much like my current BMW does here in Canada. I thought some light would be better than none, but didn't want to turn on the full LED headlights since that would have been overkill.

I regrettably did not check the brightness myself from afar while I was in India, for whatever reason it never occurred to me. Can any users chime in as to the brightness of the pilot lights in the day time? If need be, I can purchase these Philips DRLs and bring them with me when I visit India next month. They seem reasonably priced and Philips is a long trusted brand.

I have seen other Chinese based DRLs which fit near the fog lights and function as switchbacks (ie. they turn amber when turn signals are activated) but longevity is my biggest issue with such products. Kindly follow this link for an example image available from AliExpress. I rather spend some extra cash and get a product that will last many years than constantly spend money on a cheap Chinese product that keeps burning out within a few months.

Thanks!

Quote:

This is wonderful! When it comes to Crysta's, Sankar sir has no match. Despite our Crysta having factory cruise control, I would love to see a step by step guide for other users who'd like to do this. If it's a DIY, I don't imagine it will be too complicated.

As per Toyota India's brochure, it looks like VX models do not come with cruise control. It looks like an option only for the ZX trims.

Last edited by CrippledLucifer : 7th July 2018 at 23:41.
CrippledLucifer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2018, 09:39   #1584
Senior - BHPian

The part to cover the gaping hole in the steering wheel.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180708_083127.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180708_083345.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20180708_083415.jpg

Btw there is a special service campaign going on for early Crystas (mine included). They check the routing of a wire and re-route it if necessary and apply tape (tape is high quality and comes from Toyota). In mine re-routing was not necessary only tape application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Oh wow Sankar. This is great. Is that TGA and please share more details. You really should come up with a seperate ownership thread man. Will be easy to refer for many like me.

And cruise control is not there on VX.
Samabhi, it is not TGA man, the stalk is genuine Toyota part which can be bought from Toyota or online sellers. Ownership threads are too much effort, sort of like story telling if one needs to get it published in the first place. Thus i desist. I will make a CC retrofit thread.

Yep, ZX AT and MT and the Touring Sport AT gets cruise control. Fortuner 4x2 MT also does not have CC as per website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
Has anyone installed any DRLs in the Crysta? I was thinking of picking up a set of Philips Daylight 8 as they're available for $110 (~₹7,570) on Amazon.com. I find it very perplexing that Toyota didn't install DRLs in such a massive vehicle, especially on the top trim models considering they're offered on other top of the line Toyota models such as the Corolla and even the new Yaris. Perhaps they're saving it for an eventual facelift?

I have seen other Chinese based DRLs which fit near the fog lights and function as switchbacks (ie. they turn amber when turn signals are activated) but longevity is my biggest issue with such products. Kindly follow this link for an example image available from AliExpress. I rather spend some extra cash and get a product that will last many years than constantly spend money on a cheap Chinese product that keeps burning out within a few months.

Thanks!
Check out OSRAM Led fogs
https://www.amazon.in/Osram-LEDFOG10.../dp/B00EE4ETN2

https://www.osram.com/am/ecat/LEDriv...t/ZMP_1072187/

I have seen few Crystas here with a similar setup and it looked good. Plus is it does not look like an extra fitting and everything gels well. Chinese replicas are available and some of them are as good as original Osram.

Personal opinion: Do not get switchback LEDs, it looks odd when indicators are on and two sets of lights in the front flash to indicate a turn. Tells the world it is a retrofit and Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
This is wonderful! When it comes to Crysta's, Sankar sir has no match. Despite our Crysta having factory cruise control, I would love to see a step by step guide for other users who'd like to do this. If it's a DIY, I don't imagine it will be too complicated.

As per Toyota India's brochure, it looks like VX models do not come with cruise control. It looks like an option only for the ZX trims.
Thanks man. It is just that I like to dive in and dig up the details of the vehicle I happen to own.

This is the third DIY on CC retrofit by tbhp member afaik. 1st was Linea TJet (Patchyboy), 2nd Polo GTTDI (Gannu) and 3rd this one. Will put up a thread soon.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 07:12   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Check out OSRAM Led fogs
https://www.amazon.in/Osram-LEDFOG10.../dp/B00EE4ETN2

https://www.osram.com/am/ecat/LEDriv...t/ZMP_1072187/

I have seen few Crystas here with a similar setup and it looked good. Plus is it does not look like an extra fitting and everything gels well. Chinese replicas are available and some of them are as good as original Osram.

Personal opinion: Do not get switchback LEDs, it looks odd when indicators are on and two sets of lights in the front flash to indicate a turn. Tells the world it is a retrofit and Chinese.
Thanks for the links! I was thinking of swapping out the fog lights with OEM Toyota LED fogs (the same which ship with the newer Fortuners/Innova Touring Sports. Per other TeamBHP users, they are fully compatible and are a plug and play retrofit. I have asked my Dad to procure the parts ahead of time so we can get them installed at our local dealer. These do look tempting, but I've not seen any pictures of the light output.

I agree, the switchbacks look awful. It seems too redundant to have a second set of indicators. I'm also not a fan of the full LED replacement tail lights that are available, they just look very out of place.

As far as DRLs go, I have been watching some videos of Thai/Indonesian spec models and it looks like the center "pilot lamps" are functioning as DRLs in those markets. This has me wondering if it's possible to somehow wire them to come on as DRLs as soon as the ignition is turned on.

The next time you (or anyone on this board) spot an Innova Crysta in the day with their pilot lamps on, do let me know if they are bright enough to use as DRLs.

Quote:
Thanks man. It is just that I like to dive in and dig up the details of the vehicle I happen to own.

This is the third DIY on CC retrofit by tbhp member afaik. 1st was Linea TJet (Patchyboy), 2nd Polo GTTDI (Gannu) and 3rd this one. Will put up a thread soon.
My pleasure, you're very much the same as me then! I love to tinker around with my cars and get into the real nitty gritty side of things. Very much interested to see the CC retrofit DIY.
Old 10th July 2018, 08:15   #1586

Is it possible to upgrade Innova Crysta GX Driver’s Seat to ZX / VX Seat Configuration ?

I have a Crysta GX that has fixed height Driver’s Seat in it and I want to know the possibility to replace it with a ZX Powered Seat or VX Manual Height Adjusted seat If I can source one.

Is it safe to assume all variants (GX/VX/ZX) have same physical dimensions for seats and fit each other without any issue?

Does Powered Driver’s Seat in ZX variant have any link to ECU or is it a simple standalone circuit/motor that just needs 12v supply to operate if used in GX?

Last edited by GTO : 10th July 2018 at 09:41. Reason: typos
srekar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th July 2018, 14:55   #1587
BHPian

Re: Is it possible to upgrade Innova Crysta GX Driver’s Seat to ZX / VX Seat Configuration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srekar View Post
I have a Crysta GX that has fixed height Driver’s Seat in it and I want to know the possibility to replace it with a ZX Powered Seat or VX Manual Height Adjusted seat If I can source one.

Is it safe to assume all variants (GX/VX/ZX) have same physical dimensions for seats and fit each other without any issue?

Does Powered Driver’s Seat in ZX variant have any link to ECU or is it a simple standalone circuit/motor that just needs 12v supply to operate if used in GX?
I've done this in my Maruti Celerio. I swapped the original bucket seats with much broader seats from a Swift Dezire. The installation was bolt on and did not require any modifications even though both the cars are different in terms of size/design.

In your case, since you are looking for swapping seats from a different variant of the same car model, you shouldn't face any problems. The chassis on which the seats are fitted should be the same across all variants.

The powered driver seat (if it fits) can easily be connected to a power source to function and should not be difficult task for a good mechanic.
Old 10th July 2018, 15:08   #1588
BHPian

Re: Is it possible to upgrade Innova Crysta GX Driver’s Seat to ZX / VX Seat Configuration ?

Quote:
ZX Powered Seat or VX Manual Height Adjusted seat If I can source one.

At present, GX is also coming with Manual Driver Height Adjust Seat. You can go for it safely, if you prefer manual.

Regarding Powered Driver Seat, I am not sure but I feel that it may just need 12v power supply only.

On a different note, I am waiting very anxiously for your DIY details of cruise control installation .

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th November 2018 at 19:11. Reason: typo corrected
Old 10th July 2018, 16:56   #1589
BHPian

While a similar query is asked couple of pages back, i would like to ask it again for some inputs.

I would like to buy a Innova Crysta. Maximum i can stretch is 20L.

I have an option of buying a GX AT at OTR around 20L. But, considering the monetary benefits, i wanted to look at pre-owned, low mileage ones.

1. ZX AT - 2016, 25000 kms, first owner - Asking 22L - with Dealer

2. GX AT - 2017, 19000 kms, first owner - Asking 18L (this one is inclusive of a Pioneer set up and upholstery matching an ZX) - With an individual

Verifying the service history is not a problem as i have been a Toyota customer for some time and have made some good friends there.

What is the price i could offer to take one of these. I tilt towards the ZX, but my daughter is not very happy with the Captain seats as she wants the bench in middle.

Kindly give your inputs - both are Chennai Registered. Thanks for your assistance

Swami
Old 10th July 2018, 17:19   #1590
BHPian

Quote:

There are going to be additional differences that you may / may not have considered.

Zx comes with leather seat only and with a side / seat airbag built in.
So, if you are going to swap with a Zx seat, you will need to deck up your other seats with similar trim to match. At the same time, Side airbags in the seat may add to the cost.

Your best match as quoted above by another member would be to swap with a seat of the current Gx, which comes with a manual adjusting lever for height.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks