Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2018, 13:38   #1726
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

hi all, I was driving a Crysta ZX (2.4) MT variant and I noticed that gear lever was shaking terribly while idling. I was told that this was normal for the Innova. Also the gear had so much play, I couldn't slot it perfectly. If this is how it is, then its a big let down for a car costing 25lakh!
penpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 16:46   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
hi all, I was driving a Crysta ZX (2.4) MT variant and I noticed that gear lever was shaking terribly while idling. I was told that this was normal for the Innova. Also the gear had so much play, I couldn't slot it perfectly. If this is how it is, then its a big let down for a car costing 25lakh!
Undoubtedly one of the major flaw/drawback in the Innova. That said for a potential buyer, the positives are far more rewarding than this major drawback. I upgraded from Ecosport and the gearshifts of Innova are no where close. However you need far lesser gear shifts than Ecosport.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 18:16   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Odo reads 43750 today and so got 45000KM service done today alongwith change of front brake pads and rear brake shoes. Rear brake shoe change was advised against by the dealer because shoes last a long time on Innova, but i insisted of it being changed. Brakes bite really good now, braking has definitely improved!

Quote:
I have an auto and its stick doesnt shake because its connected by cables and wires to the transmission but I get what you mean and it has been so since Qualis days. I have seen the manual Crysta's stick dance but compared to the Qualis and previous generation Innova it doesn't dance too hard. There is no cure for it though.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 20:11   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
This was the case with the first generation Innova as well. As far as I know, ladder frame cars with a rear wheel drive will have this 'quality'. The reasons have been discussed in some other threads.

The first time I sat in the driver's seat on an Innova (2007 model) after having driven a petrol Verna for 6 years, had me shaking more than the gear lever . The Verna was absolutely butter smooth and will not even know if the engine was running at idle! But anyway I was mighty impressed with the way the Innova drove. With 7 people on board, pulled through brilliantly and I realized right there why the Innova was a massive hit in our country.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 21:17   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Undoubtedly one of the major flaw/drawback in the Innova.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I have seen the manual Crysta's stick dance but compared to the Qualis and previous generation Innova it doesn't dance too hard. There is no cure for it though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
This was the case with the first generation Innova as well. As far as I know, ladder frame cars with a rear wheel drive will have this 'quality'. The reasons have been discussed in some other threads.
Thanks for telling me its as designed. We were considering buying one for family, personally I want to select 2.4VX but the gear lever was such a turn off for me, now I am thinking 2.8GX AT should be the one to go for. The newly added features to GX actually makes it a sensible choice.

Can you please help tell me what could be the real world mileage difference between 2.8 AT and 2.4 MT ?
penpavan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 23:13   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly so. I had a opportunity to drive the last generation Innova extensively over a period of 4 years. What we are normally used to doing is, that our left hand is on the gear when we start the car. As I was unaware of this "feature" of Innova, the first time I started it I was completely taken aback.
This wobbling of the gear stick on starting the car is actually very horrible. It is so bad that one can actually hurt oneself if not careful with the stick during starting. Otherwise also this wobbling does stay but a lot lesser once the car has started.
So if you want to buy the manual version of the Innova be prepared to get this "perk" as package......happy motoring
Old 11th December 2018, 11:57   #1732
BHPian

I recently rode in a Crysta for the first time; 2.4 (5speed) as a passenger in the second row, and I have to say the NVH is horrible. Engine noise isn't that bad( little less than Scorpio/ XUV, in fact) but there's a horrible droning/ humming noise, when the car is between 1000-2000rpm which gave me a slight headache in about an hour. I've ridden in the old innova a lot, it was noisy but I don't remember the irritating vibration/ hum.
Old 11th December 2018, 12:12   #1733
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for telling me its as designed. We were considering buying one for family, personally I want to select 2.4VX but the gear lever was such a turn off for me, now I am thinking 2.8GX AT should be the one to go for. The newly added features to GX actually makes it a sensible choice.

Can you please help tell me what could be the real world mileage difference between 2.8 AT and 2.4 MT ?
The real world difference would not be more than say 1kmpl between the manual and auto because of higher displacement engines of this vehicle.
Our auto version is giving a decent 11-12kmpl on city roads and 15-16kmpl on highways, with AC On.
RickyC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 12:36   #1734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

We recently drove back home(BLR-Puttur) in 2 Crysta one being 2.8Z and other being my 2.4 G. At the end of journey 2.8 MID showed 12.8KMPL where as the 2.4 showed 15.2 . It took us 6.5hours to cover 320KM. In city If you are driving through heavy traffic like say Graphite road/KR Puram, I have seen my 2.4 touch 9-9.5. From what I heard from my friends 2.8, would show 7-8 when driven through same traffic. Overall I would say a difference of around 2KMPL. I feel on a stop go traffic the difference would be more pronounced given AT has bigger capacity but on highway the difference would be lesser. If you drive a lot in city go for AT .

Last edited by PrideRed : 11th December 2018 at 12:53.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th December 2018, 19:32   #1735
BHPian

Quote:

The AT will give slightly lower mileage than MT. But the 'feel good' factor one has in long term ownership of driving AT (especially if city driving is regular) is priceless - of course this is just my thought, IMHO. I can speak about this since when I purchased my Honda City, I was deliberating between AT & MT. Given the AT was INR 1L more at the time, I decided to go with MT. Many of my colleagues went in for AT. In retrospective, I think AT would have been a better choice for me, since my main running is in city with occasional highway drives. Thus, when I purchased the Innova Touring Sport, my choice was clear. AT is a real boon for me to drive in city traffic.

As for mileage, I am getting around 12.7 to 13+ kmpl in city suburbs. On highways I get around 14+ kmpl. I use cruise control and set it to around 90 kmph. These numbers are with 100% AC and with 'regular driving' - i.e. not heavy foot or super light foot. But my highway running is limited to around 100 kms round trip. I am sure on longer trips the mileage would be better.
Old 12th December 2018, 12:04   #1736
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post

As for mileage, I am getting around 12.7 to 13+ kmpl in city suburbs. .
A mileage of 13 in city on a Crysta AT is super excellent. What would be your average speed - distance divided by time taken to drive ?
As per my experience , it should be less than 9 at average speeds of 20 kms/hr as in Mumbai.
Old 12th December 2018, 14:45   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
A mileage of 13 in city on a Crysta AT is super excellent. What would be your average speed - distance divided by time taken to drive ?
As per my experience , it should be less than 9 at average speeds of 20 kms/hr as in Mumbai.
When I say city driving, I should clarify, it is more like suburbs city driving where there is bumper-to-bumper traffic but only during peak hours. Other times, one can do 40 kmph to 50 kmph.

Where the average speed is 20 kmph, the mileage would be lower, like you mentioned.
Old 12th December 2018, 20:37   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Paddleshifters for Innova Crysta

Paddle shifters for Innova Crysta GX 2.8, just like in the Fortuner AT. It will be useful for downshifts coming down twisty roads where i usually use S mode to downshift to help the brakes. Now I won't have to take my hands off the wheel to knock the shifter up or down.

Its not over yet, only half done. Will be completing the rest in a couple of days hopefully as i get time. Steering part is done.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-prb00276.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-prb00277.jpg

Yep its got cruise control also.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-prb00278.jpg
Sankar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 22:58   #1739
BHPian

Discussion on fuel efficiency is a national talk and every drop saved will help save a natural resource and reduce pollution (Cox, Sox, NOx). However, most people talk from economic point of view. What surprises me a private 2.8 litre Crysta owner discussing this (no offence pls). His daily fixed cost, if the car is kept for 10 years and fetches a sale value of say 10 lakh for the 26 lakh car would be around Rs 900. So, close Rs 1000/day is the cost of keeping the car. And how much one can save daily with higher efficiency and by running how much! So, just chill and enjoy driving car of your choice.
kbishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 18:57   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Here is a better one and everything is packed and closed I will post a tutorial (pictorial) on how to do this after some road testing.

Now my GX AT has paddle shifts, cruise control and steering audio controls. Looking forward to upgrade the speedo cluster as well in future.

Paddles are cool, and a feature not included in any of the Crystas and saved only for the Fortuner makes it cooler

Last edited by Sankar : 17th December 2018 at 19:04.
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks