Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2019, 11:15   #1816
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpavan View Post
Yes I do drive fast, but it will be done in my cruze. In Crysta i intend not to cross 100 kmph.

Crysta 2.8 is fine at high speeds. But once I had to do an emergency braking/turning manoeuvre and almost soiled my pants. I too have a duster and an X3 and have been spoilt in the handling department as the duster handles very well and the X3 just brilliant. Nowadays, when I am in the Crysta I remind myself to stay within 120kmph unless I get a clear open stretch of highway.

Last edited by navin : 7th February 2019 at 17:03. Reason: high speeds
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2019, 15:50   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Crysta 2.8 is fine even upto 120-130 kmph. But once I had to do an emergency braking/turning maneour at 150+ and almost soiled my pants. I too have a duster and an X3 and have been spoilt in the handling department as the duster handles very well and the X3 just brilliant. Nowadays, when I am in the Crysta I remind myself to stay within 120 unless I get a clear open stretch of highway.

Good afternoon sir, again happy to hear that you too have a duster and crysta combo. Whenever we buy a new car, one aspect which every owner cum driver face is speed masking.

This is especially important when you have multiple cars and when you drive them on the highways.

I shall share my experience, it took a lot of time for me to understand at what speed I was cruising in the cruze, whereas the learning curve was easy for duster.

Again now i find it different in crysta, need to understand it more. Just to test myself i was coasting without looking at speedometer, I thought I was doing 80kmph but when looked at speedometer I was shocked to see 110 kmph. Maybe better NVH insulation than duster.

This is purely individual perception and am not generalising my observation.

What can be the maximum odometer one has seen in the torque converter gearbox of toyota ?

Seniors kindly give your opinion, this is out of curiosity.

Regards,
drpavan.
Old 7th February 2019, 16:34   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Coming to Odo, in other markets, Toyota Torque converter runs as much as Manual transmission without hiccup. Come India, I have seen copies of Fortuner AT doing 1.5lacs without breaking sweat. The 6 speed unit should be equally good!

Last edited by aah78 : 7th February 2019 at 18:23. Reason: Quoted post deleted.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2019, 14:52   #1819
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta Drivetrain Ratios

The title says it all. I'm looking for the approx. gear and axle reduction ratios values for the Innova Crysta manual transmission variant, if anyone has it noted. One of the most scantily available technical data about Indian vehicles on the internet.

Various techniques for calculating the same can be found on the internet, but being a computer science engineer (and not mechanical), I'd think twice before jacking up my car and touching the propeller shaft myself for estimating the axle ratio.

You might be wondering why I'm desperate for this info. I'm working on a project that talks to the ECU, one of the modules of which is a gear shift indicator engine. It tells you the right gear to be in after instantaneously understanding your speed, RPM and throttle position. The project with all the modules is an attempt to better the driving habits of frivolous drivers while perfecting that of the experienced. With the implementation done right, I'd like to test the same on my Innova Crysta 2.4VX-7 MT.

Is there anyone with the specs?

Thanks!
theGeekyLad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2019, 21:25   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post

I AM A FAN of Crysta now and terribly sad that my 2018 test drives were on bad Crystas leading me to select XUV over the cash savings.

But this prompts me to think about two factors now :-

1) Can Crysta be bruised so easily when compared to the bullet proof older Innova? If so, I would not dare buy a used Crysta. Test drive vehicles had done 40k-50k kms, and we all know they arent well maintained either, but still in the back of my mind it disturbs, only because we expect a lot from Toyota.

OR

2) Did Toyota fix something, read as suspension, NVH and steering feedback.
If so, dear friends don't even think twice if confused over Hexa vs Crysta vs XUV vs Compass, it is the Crysta.
Bouncy suspension and light steering are classic example of very high tire pressure. I can really feel your heart burn!

Besides, how did you find the Hexa in these three aspects- steering, suspension and engine refinement?
Old 15th February 2019, 14:25   #1821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Bouncy suspension and light steering are classic example of very high tire pressure...
My car's about a month a few days old now. At the first service milestone the tires were at 35 psi against the recommended 33. No wonder the ride was bouncy all the while. That's probably how it walks out of the stock yard. I was wondering if it's the wishbones or just my feeling as I transitioned from a hatch.

Nevertheless, it has been corrected to 33 psi on all 4 tyres and the ride now feels normal.
Old 16th February 2019, 07:32   #1822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanam View Post
I agree. I now have an Innova Crysta ZX (with the Captain seats) and used to have an XUV before both of which are/were driver driven. World of difference. XUV does leave you tired and a bit nauseated. My son also used to get car sick in the XUV. Crysta on the other hand does not give one any discomfort or car sickness.
Can't comment on the second row comfort. usually I am always the driver and I have one passenger sitting next to me.

I guess XUV may be more of a driver's car compared to crysta. I regularly drive at high speeds wherever situation permits without any worry. Taking corners at relatively high speeds whether in highways or in ghats, or bad roads does not upset XUV at all. Sudden high speed lane changes at high ways is also good, so is driving over speed breakers. My car still feels like new, no rattles after 80000 kms of spirited driving over all kind of roads.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th February 2019 at 09:20. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
Old 16th February 2019, 10:01   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Bouncy suspension and light steering are classic example of very high tire pressure. I can really feel your heart burn!

Besides, how did you find the Hexa in these three aspects- steering, suspension and engine refinement?

Hexa offers an outstanding ride. I dont think any vehicle in India can beat that. Havent riden in S class so cant compare But anyday better than Crysta. AT gearing is bit aggressive but NVH is fine. Steering is also fine.

But I happened to see a used Hexa which had done 20k kms which was not in a good shape. Opened the bonnet and noticed the oil spills too. May be it is a unique case but I will give Tata more years to prove their mettle in their cars. Hexa is afterall the aesthetically improved Aria. One can easily make out if you see them side by side. But having said that I have seen good condition Hexas too. But personally I would rate a vehicle as good post 5 yrs of ownership or say 1 lac+ kms and that too lot of vehicles should sucessfully prove. So as of today, given a chance I will buy the Crysta, come what may, bcoz 20 lacs on a Tata vehicle when there is a Toyota, come on!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 16th February 2019 at 10:02.
Old 20th February 2019, 13:44   #1824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hexa offers an outstanding ride. I dont think any vehicle in India can beat that. Havent riden in S class so cant compare But anyday better than Crysta. AT gearing is bit aggressive but NVH is fine. Steering is also fine.
I too was under same impression until I saw a different perspective. Most of the time, ride quality is associated with longitudinal movement and how well the suspension soaks in the bump. In many of the occasion the lateral movement is never considered as part of ride comfort/quality. Now if you are driving on a 4-lane road,ride comfort probably boils down to the seat comfort than suspension. I was recently driving on a mud road in a loaded Xylo and I loved the way it destroyed the bad patches with aplomb. I simply cannot do that in my Crysta. Few minutes later we were on smooth curvy road and I could see the head's of people at the back and myself move violently like swing! I asked passengers at back as how was ride, they gave a big thumbs down citing too much lateral movement. Same with Hexa, while it destroys bad patches/road very well, given that you sit higher, there is considerably more lateral movement. Putting the credit where due, bad roads/bumpy terrain- Hexa is the boss but on a 4 lane highway/twisty roads found the Crysta to be better.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 15:14   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I was recently driving on a mud road in a loaded Xylo and I loved the way it destroyed the bad patches with aplomb. I simply cannot do that in my Crysta. Few minutes later we were on smooth curvy road and I could see the head's of people at the back and myself move violently like swing! I asked passengers at back as how was ride, they gave a big thumbs down citing too much lateral movement. Same with Hexa, while it destroys bad patches/road very well, given that you sit higher, there is considerably more lateral movement. Putting the credit where due, bad roads/bumpy terrain- Hexa is the boss but on a 4 lane highway/twisty roads found the Crysta to be better.
Very well put and I can relate and even agree to the above view. I owned a xylo for last 7 years and often my travel was to the hills and xylo handles road or no road situation well when driven slow and careful. Also passengers do not complain. And on highways and 4 lane or 6 lane toll roads, driver has to slow down and avoid driving high speed on curves else the passengers feel the effect of being thrown away to the sides very much.
Innova rides more like a sedan than a high GC MPV. And on rough or no roads, I need to be extra cautious and extra slow, not to hit the belly and not to hurt the suspension set up.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 15:45   #1826
BHPian

Quote:
a) FELT LIKE A TOYOTA! I wish I could scream more!
b) Engine feels refined
c) FEELS PLUSHHHHHHH, wasnt bouncy
d) Steering wasnt light and wobbly. It was firm as it should be.
e) Gave me goosebumps as if I got my Corolla Altis like Toyota quality back!
I own a May 2017 Innova 2.8 ZX with 50,000 km on the ODO and we have not done any kind of extra maintainence, except an oil change at 1000km and it feels like it rolled out of showroom yesterday only.

a) It does even after 50k km.
b) The engine is gruff when cold but becomes refined as soon as it reaches operating temperatures. Typical diesel.
c) It does, especially with those 16 inch wheels. No tyre issues and a stupendous ride quality.
d) Driver can comment on this, but he says there is no issue. (We owned a 2009 Innova and kept it for 2,00,000 km.
e) Quality is same as our last Innova, even better at some places.

Quote:
Can Crysta be bruised so easily when compared to the bullet proof older Innova? If so, I would not dare buy a used Crysta. Test drive vehicles had done 40k-50k kms, and we all know they arent well maintained either, but still in the back of my mind it disturbs, only because we expect a lot from Toyota.
NO, it cannot be, if you do only the required maintainence, you are good to go. Toyota essence remains.

This comes from a person who has undergone this. Link (Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?)

This was a one off incident, and other things make me forgive this.

But if you mean actual bruising (dings and dents), it can be, since sheet metal flexes even fingers. Though, the doors are heavy and the car feels safe.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 20th February 2019 at 15:50.
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 17:41   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Agarwal View Post
This comes from a person who has undergone this. Link (Water leakage in my new Innova Crysta - where has Toyota's famed quality control gone?)

This was a one off incident, and other things make me forgive this.

But if you mean actual bruising (dings and dents), it can be, since sheet metal flexes even fingers. Though, the doors are heavy and the car feels safe.
Really thrilled to see such a wonderful and unbiased comment from you Shreyas. I repeat, your comments are really UNBIASED. And Toyota equally deserves comments like this. The quality is just AMAZING. I can vouch for your words since I am writing this after owning a Qualis for more than 12 years and Fortuner for 1 year now.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 12:32   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
After test drive of various cars (Hexa, XUV, JeeP Compass & Crysta), finally booked a Crysta GX AT.
I am expecting to get the car by this weekend if everything goes well.
My CRYSTA GX 2.8 delivered in first week of this month.
Till date already drove 750 KM. All in city except a 60 KM highway drive.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20190207wa0031.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20190207wa0029.jpg
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img20190207wa0038.jpg
KALINGA is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th February 2019, 16:27   #1829
BHPian

Can anyone help me out with the gear and axle reduction ratios of the Innova Crysta? If not, how to calculate it?

Thanks!
Old 27th February 2019, 19:36   #1830
BHPian

Toyota has replaced a certain number of parts under warranty at the 50k mark.
Here is the bill:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20190227193409_gallery.jpg
Is this something to worry about?

I had no problems whatsoever, car is and was perfectly fine.
They themselves diagonased the issue without any complaint from my side.

PS: The earlier post was made before the service at about 48,000 km.

Last edited by Shreyas Agarwal : 27th February 2019 at 19:51.
Shreyas Agarwal is online now   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks