Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 22:05   #2101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I recently came across an old article on the Innova Crysta by a foreign media. They are couple of years old but makes for good reading.

Src: https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/a...a-a34-20170520
I was trying to find reviews on the 2.4 6spd manual (Touring Sport version), but couldn't find any. Not even Hilux reviews had the 2.4 6spd version.

Came across Filipino videos, though I knew they were the only market other than us to get the 2.8, didn't know it was an exclusive engine there. And to my surprise, the model in the video had 2.8 badging and a 5spd stick.

I was like, what the heck!! Expected it to have the Fortuner 6spd iMT, would have been a strong performer that one.
And now this review.

Can understand the reviewers frustration. Even if it's less powerful, can adjust with that. But a powerful engine restrained by the gearbox, and booming at cruising speeds.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 13:44   #2102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I was trying to find reviews on the 2.4 6spd manual (Touring Sport version), but couldn't find any. Not even Hilux reviews had the 2.4 6spd version.
Take a test drive of the manual touring sport Does not get simpler than that!

Quote:
Can understand the reviewers frustration. Even if it's less powerful, can adjust with that. But a powerful engine restrained by the gearbox, and booming at cruising speeds.
Even the 2.4 could use the 6 speed manual transmission. His frustration with 2.8 with a 5 speed gearbox is totally justified
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 13:55   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Even the 2.4 could use the 6 speed manual transmission. His frustration with 2.8 with a 5 speed gearbox is totally justified
I am told Manual touring sport is hard find, most dealers don't have this specimen.Some say its easier to find a white Bengal tiger than Manual Touring sport.
5 speed is just about adequate in 2.4 and when paired with 2.8 is definitely overkill. Since Toyota already have 2.8+6 Speed combo for Fortuner, surprised they opted for 5 Speed one.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2019, 23:55   #2104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Atleast in the Enchakkal showroom, it's either the ordinary 5spd and the 2.8 auto.

Heck, the demo Fortuner is also auto only.

Even the media reviews had only the auto Touring Sport, and if I am not wrong initially the Touring Sport had the 5spd. Only later did they add the 6spd iMT.

Actually if it was not for this video by AR3 AUTOMOBILES in YouTube, I would have thought the 6spd in Touring Sport was a typo error.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot_20191129234645.png
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 05:11   #2105
BHPian

I have driven a 6 speed manual 2.4 touring sport.
Vulken Auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2019, 17:20   #2106
BHPian

What is the average FE you folks are getting with your Crystas on highways with AC on? My cousin says he gets 10-12kmpl of diesel in his.
Old 30th November 2019, 17:40   #2107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
What is the average FE you folks are getting with your Crystas on highways with AC on? My cousin says he gets 10-12kmpl of diesel in his.
Is it the 2.4 manual or 2.8 auto? A lot depends on the driving habit, driving mode and cruising speed. For the 2.8 auto that I am having, my observation is below.

If you are in City traffic with frequently fluctuating slower speeds it's better to use normal mode which is eco mode turned off. This is because eco mode is for quick upshifting to higher gear and the moment you slow down and again push the throttle to gain speed the eco mode is not willing to shift down easily unless you give a heavy foot or the speed has considerably come down triggering downshift. So you burn more fuel and lesser FE. Go to Normal mode and repeat the same thing since it delays upshifting compared to Eco mode the fuel is burnt less delivering more FE.

In highway, use the eco mode of you have a cruising speed of 70-90 km/hr so that it can quickly go to the 6th gear and most importantly hold the gear with a light tap on the throttle. Eco mode is not suitable if your speed is frequently going to fluctuate. Also for overtaking go to power from eco and come back and maintain light foot. One bhpian has got 18km/l. Also practice the driving looking at the instantaneous fuel mileage on the MID and not the Eco gauge.
haisaikat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:17   #2108
BANNED

Only 10-12% Toyota Innova Crystas are sold as taxi in India!
Quote:
Well, the previous Innova was a hit and more often than not if you're someone at a good position, the office will definitely send it as a taxi for you. The private buyers too loved the vehicle and it was one complete family car. Enter the new Innova Crysta and while it is costlier than the older unit, there still are many takers. Both in the cab as well as personal segment. We checked with Toyota on how many units are sold each month to the taxi segment. Toyota confirmed that only a small 10-12% Crystas are sold as taxi in India. The waiting period varies based on demand situation and ranges anywhere between 15 to 60 days. Toyota says that their taxi Innova Crystas get a Speed Limiting Function (SLF) that is linked with the ECU of the vehicle. Since it is ECU-based, tampering with it is very difficult.

To our question if a customer wants a higher grade Crysta model as a taxi, Toyota says that there are certain variants that are available as taxi. These come with the SLF and hence it is recommended that customer buy these. However, were the customer to buy a higher model and then add a speed governor from outside, Toyota says that this could void his warranty. The Toyota spokesperson said, "Currently as per TKM’s warranty manual, warranty will not be valid on effected parts if any outside accessories / fitments are done, hence our recommendation to customers is to purchase vehicles with factory fitted SLFs."
Source: Financial Express
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 15:19   #2109
BHPian

Good afternoon BHPians,

Would anyone know how to delete existing presets (FM) and add the new presets in stock HU of Innova Crysta?

Thanks,
drive_angry
Old 2nd December 2019, 20:48   #2110
BHPian

Hello bhpians,
I have a 2.8Z done about 11k kms and is about a year old.
For the last few days, I have been observing some liquid leaking near the front left tyre. Looks like water, but i am not sure. My driver says its increasing day by day.
I dont remember seeing it earlier, or may be never noticed it. So thought of checking with all here if thats normal, as I havent been able to visit the service center due to lack of time.
I am aware that the water from A/C condenser drops near the rear tyre when idle.
But this is near the front left tyre, that too when the car is switched off.
I am attaching a few pics for reference, which were taken from the front left wheel-well after the car was parked post a short drive. I tried looking closely and saw that the droplets are coming out from a pipe sticking out from the engine bay. I am highlighting it in the pics.
Pls let me have your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-52771b51ea5e4f05801e15c582fd06e8.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-859ccac62df74fa2879ecda0cd5987bc.jpeg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-0e8ea1f687fb4171b998f8a7e05ef6fb.jpeg  

Old 2nd December 2019, 22:27   #2111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
I am aware that the water from A/C condenser drops near the rear tyre when idle.
But this is near the front left tyre, that too when the car is switched off.
I am attaching a few pics for reference, which were taken from the front left wheel-well after the car was parked post a short drive. I tried looking closely and saw that the droplets are coming out from a pipe sticking out from the engine bay. I am highlighting it in the pics.
Pls let me have your opinion.
Its evaporator drain from AC, no need to worry. Water near the rear right wheel is from the rear evaporator, this is from the front unit. Crysta has two units, one for front passengers and one for rear passengers.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2019, 22:52   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Would anyone know how to delete existing presets (FM) and add the new presets in stock HU of Innova Crysta?
Select a frequency by tuning / scan and then keep a particular preset slot pressed for few seconds, it will overwrite previously set preset with new frequency.

Last edited by Sheel : 3rd December 2019 at 09:27. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:33   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Only 10-12% Toyota Innova Crystas are sold as taxi in India!
Source: Financial Express
From what I heard from dealer, recent upgraded GX has helped pull in a lot of white board clients and price hike have made yellow boards look elsewhere. The ZX has as always been the big garage favorite, sharing space with Mercs/Bimmers. Not to forget Innova also does a lot of sales to Govt/Armed forces which are technically white board.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 17:53   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Select a frequency by tuning / scan and then keep a particular preset slot pressed for few seconds, it will overwrite previously set preset with new frequency.

Thank you very much haisaikal!

Would you also know how to keep its audio system on mute if I have muted it before the call. The audio system plays on its own after I disconnect a call or when the car starts/system reboot. Thanks much again.

drive_angry
Old 4th December 2019, 20:23   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Is there a new innova on the cards anytime soon?

Most Viewed