Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 13:04   #2146
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I had documented the mileage from 4000 kms on the odo till around 13500 kms on the odo for my Innova Crysta Touring Sport 2.8 Diesel Automatic ( with Auto start/stop ). Just thought of sharing it here.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot-20200116-12.46.04-pm.png

And this is the raw data from which the graph is drawn.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot-20200116-12.50.06-pm.png

Some observations.
  • The maximum mileage I've ever got ( tankful to tankful ) is 14.26 kmpl. MID mileage showed 15.0 kmpl for that trip.
  • Lowest mileage I've got ( tankful to tankful ) is 9.09 kmpl. MID showed 9.3 kmpl for the same trip
  • MID always shows a higher mileage than the actual mileage the car gives on the road. For a cumulative distance of close to 10,000 kms, the MID inflates the actual mileage by 4.48% . The fact that MID is always being optimistic gives me the impression that it's designed to show an inflated value.
  • Cruise control is an awesome way to get excellent mileage and at the same time make passengers comfortable without loosing out on trip time much. Another advantage that I find with it is that it helps avoid traffic fines in speed camera flooded highways in Kerala. I put it on 88-89 kmph cruise control once I enter the Kerala border.
  • Auto start/stop is an awesome feature to save mileage on bumper to bumper traffic and at heavy traffic toll booths. It works hassle free and would have helped me save atleast 5 to 10% fuel especially on the city.
  • Crysta Automatic has negligible engine braking ( probably due to the loosely coupled nature of torque converters ). Use that to your advantage by backing off earlier than you would do on a manual to coast and slow down. When you really need engine braking, switch to manual mode and shift to a gear which is one step lower than what you would have done on a manual vehicle.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 16th January 2020 at 13:14. Reason: typo
amalji is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 14:30   #2147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

Some observations.
  • The maximum mileage I've ever got ( tankful to tankful ) is 14.26 kmpl. MID mileage showed 15.0 kmpl for that trip.
  • Lowest mileage I've got ( tankful to tankful ) is 9.09 kmpl. MID showed 9.3 kmpl for the same trip
  • MID always shows a higher mileage than the actual mileage the car gives on the road. For a cumulative distance of close to 10,000 kms, the MID inflates the actual mileage by 4.48% . The fact that MID is always being optimistic gives me the impression that it's designed to show an inflated value.
  • C
4.48% error is awesome man. Ask a Nexon owner like me, the error rate is anywhere between 19-22% depending on the mood of the MID. I have had errors as high as 24% as well.
I wonder if there is a way we can sue the company for this wide error range.

Surprisingly the system calculates it fairly accurate but displays with large error. In my case (DTE+ trip)/40.5 is generally about 5% off the T2T method, always. Which leads me to believe that ECU has a correct calculation.

Last edited by aniyo : 16th January 2020 at 14:32.
Old 16th January 2020, 22:21   #2148
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The maximum mileage I've ever got ( tankful to tankful ) is 14.26 kmpl. MID mileage showed 15.0 kmpl for that trip.[*]Lowest mileage I've got ( tankful to tankful ) is 9.09 kmpl. MID showed 9.3 kmpl for the same trip[*]Cruise control is an awesome way to get excellent mileage and at the same time make passengers comfortable without loosing out on trip time much. Another advantage that I find with it is that it helps avoid traffic fines in speed camera flooded highways in Kerala. I put it on 88-89 kmph cruise control once I enter the Kerala border.[/list]
I agree that cruise control is better in giving good FE, though I have not validated against T2T method but as per MID on Highway if I engage Cruise Control at around 100 kmph (as per speedometer) the FE is shown as 17 / 18 kmpl on the mid. Average FE though on city I see around 10.4 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
If you ask me I would sue Toyota for the speedometer error that is way off, 100 km/hr on the meter is actually 84 km/hr in reality. The distance calculation in the trip meter is fairly accurate though so in Japanese perfection the speedometer must be an intentional imperfection . I validated my speed with the traffic cams that booked me displaying my actual speed in the e-challan and also validated against Google maps.
Old 27th January 2020, 17:27   #2149

Completed 1yr and 12345kms

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20200113_09220401.jpeg

Completed all 3 free services. The experience at Palace Toyota, Mysore has been really good. I was expecting the engine to feel a little smooth after 10000km oil change. However there was absolutely no difference. I doubled checked the color of the oil after coming home just to be sure

I'm getting a consistent average mileage of 14-13kmpl over long distance trips and 11-12kmpl in city. I always drive in normal mode and use power mode only for quick overtaking maneuvers. My driving style is all about maintaining pace. I never go over 110kmph and love to cruise between 95-100kmph with a very light foot. Here's my fuel log book.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20200127_12184001.jpeg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20200127_12184901.jpeg

So far I don't have any major complaints with the car. However there are a few minor issues worth mentioning.
  • Had 2 punctures. Not at all happy with the stock BS tyres.
  • When you open the door to its max there is a loud clack. ASC sprayed some lubricant on all the hinges. This somewhat reduced the clack but it is still audible. Checked with a couple of other Crysta's in the workshop and almost every one of them had this sound.
  • Slotting into 2nd from 1st or 3rd gets tricky if you don't match the revs. I can't believe Toyota gave such a lousy gearbox on a car that costs 25L.
  • Sometimes I get annoyed with the A/C controls due to their placement at an odd angle. The fan speed and temperature knob should be placed vertically for easy access. Bad ergonomics here!
  • Toyota should illuminate the fuel door opener. Sometimes I end up unlocking the hood
  • I wish there was a document holder tray underneath the driver seat. Xylo had this and it was easy to store vehicle documents.
  • I have started to hate the head unit. Feels really outdated and slow.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 13:09   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
  • Had 2 punctures. Not at all happy with the stock BS tyres.
  • When you open the door to its max there is a loud clack. ASC sprayed some lubricant on all the hinges. This somewhat reduced the clack but it is still audible. Checked with a couple of other Crysta's in the workshop and almost every one of them had this sound.
  • Slotting into 2nd from 1st or 3rd gets tricky if you don't match the revs. I can't believe Toyota gave such a lousy gearbox on a car that costs 25L.
  • Sometimes I get annoyed with the A/C controls due to their placement at an odd angle. The fan speed and temperature knob should be placed vertically for easy access. Bad ergonomics here!
  • Toyota should illuminate the fuel door opener. Sometimes I end up unlocking the hood
  • I wish there was a document holder tray underneath the driver seat. Xylo had this and it was easy to store vehicle documents.
  • I have started to hate the head unit. Feels really outdated and slow.
I have similar observations too. W.r.to gear, I expect slotting to improve with time/KM's. My old Innova used to behave similarly, post 70-80K it was pretty slick. Don't expect the engine sound to change or be smooth, good thing is that even after 2lac on ODO, you will hear exact same sound as day one.
The HU in Innova is all show no go. Poor audio quality, lacks modern functionality and a size too small. It is great only when powered off . I have bridgestone in one of the car and found them to be decent, much better than the bumpy apollo's.
PrideRed is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 14:03   #2151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4.48% error is awesome man. Ask a Nexon owner like me, the error rate is anywhere between 19-22% depending on the mood of the MID. I have had errors as high as 24% as well.
The problem is not that it gives 5% error. The problem is that it's always +5% and not +/- 5%. That's where I feel that this is a case of error by design rather than an error by mistake which is equivalent to manipulating data to make the customer have a feel good factor.

I don't know about how we can tackle this legally. But, I also agree with your view that manufacturers should be made accountable for such 'one sided errors'.

Quote:
Surprisingly the system calculates it fairly accurate but displays with large error. In my case (DTE+ trip)/40.5 is generally about 5% off the T2T method, always. Which leads me to believe that ECU has a correct calculation.
For DTE, Toyota is very conservative which I believe is the right way to be going. You don't want to show a 10 kms range left and then be without fuel after 5 kms. When the Innova says refuel ( equivalent to zero DTE ), there is around 10 litres of Diesel still left. I guess, TATA is also trying to do the same thing by being extra conservative with DTE values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
If you ask me I would sue Toyota for the speedometer error that is way off, 100 km/hr on the meter is actually 84 km/hr in reality. The distance calculation in the trip meter is fairly accurate though so in Japanese perfection the speedometer must be an intentional imperfection . I validated my speed with the traffic cams that booked me displaying my actual speed in the e-challan and also validated against Google maps.
+1. I used to notice 10 kmph speedo vs gps difference on the old Etios as well. But, at the same time when I connected an OBD2 BT adapter, the speed displayed there was almost accurate. So, it seems the ECU does recognize the correct speed. But, the analog meter seems to be calibrated on the safer side.

It's always safer to err on the higher side of speed. But, again not sure if it's by design and if it's by design, whether it's for safety reason or whether it's a plain case of cheating again.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 16:38   #2152
BHPian

Quote:
+1. I used to notice 10 kmph speedo vs gps difference on the old Etios as well. But, at the same time when I connected an OBD2 BT adapter, the speed displayed there was almost accurate. So, it seems the ECU does recognize the correct speed. But, the analog meter seems to be calibrated on the safer side.

It's always safer to err on the higher side of speed. But, again not sure if it's by design and if it's by design, whether it's for safety reason or whether it's a plain case of cheating again.
This probably is a requirement by law.

For more details - look at this thread. (Speedometer calibration: Government says that vehicle should overstate speed)
OrangeCar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 15:52   #2153
Senior - BHPian

A nice looking Crysta and a review by Faisal Khan of 2.8Z. Somethings are incorrect like Apple car play/Android Auto and good sounding music system. These aside I found rest of the review pretty straight forward.

Note: the car has 245 section tyres, which to me is an overkill on Crysta.

PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2020, 15:48   #2154
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance recently to test the highway mileage again ( on the 2.8 Diesel Automatic Innova Touring Sport with Auto start/stop ).
For tankful to tankful,
  • BLR - HYD MID Mileage - 15.7 kmpl ( actual as per tankful to tankful for a 583.2 kms drive - 15.25 kmpl )
  • HYD - BLR MID mileage - 15.2 kmpl ( extrapolated actual mileage by downsizing the MID value by 5% - 14.44 kmpl )

The following factors were different in the return journey compared to the onward journey
  • It contained a 3 hour stretch where my wife was driving at around 40 - 70 kmph which improved the mileage.
  • The net altitude is +350m which would have reduced the mileage
  • The car was fully loaded with IKEA packages which would have reduced the mileage.
  • AC was on for more than 90% of the trip ( compared to around 30% of the time during the onward journey ) which would have reduced the mileage.
  • 20 kms of Bangalore city traffic which would have reduced the mileage.
  • Tyre pressure for the front tyre got changed from 32 to 33.5 psi on the front and from 32 to 36.5 psi for the rear for the return journey which would have helped the mileage.

Also tried doing a split of the mileage for the return journey and figured out that the car gave an extra ordinary mileage of 18.9 kmpl ( actual, not MID ) when my wife was driving!

Attaching the drive details below for the return journey which shows the stark difference in mileage when my wife was driving the car.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screenshot-20200224-3.56.06-pm.png

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th February 2020 at 16:23. Reason: Moved to official review thread as requested.
amalji is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 08:33   #2155
BHPian

Hi everyone,

My Crysta 2.8 G completed 1 year and has clocked 48500 kms. I guess now it's time for me to change the tires of the vehicle.

I did a trip to Gokarna for Sivarathri from Vijayawada with 7 people on board.

Then on we went to Hornadu and Sringeri. I was the solo driver. The vehicle performed extremely well in the ghats. The 2.8 engine with Auto gear box is wonderful. When compared to my other cars which are monocoques, ladder on frame chassis of Crysta is more rugged. The beating taken by the vehicle during this trip from bad roads to non existent roads is worth mentioning.

I really thank Toyota for providing this people mover in India, especially the variant 2.8 G. Now I know it's discontinued, I am one lucky owner.

My only wish is that, Toyota kindly increase the fuel tank capacity. 50 litres for this vehicle is not I want. I want it to be 70 litres.

I went to see Kia Carnival, by just looking at the price of the different variants I came back. I am a guy who looks out for Value For Money products.

2.8 engine-- provided in Prado and Fortuner in other countries.

6 speed auto transmission with Torque Converter. Decent enough space to move 7 medium sized adults. Reliability backed up by Toyota. I don't want more.

Overall a very happy and satisfied customer.

Thank you
drpavan.
drpavan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2020, 13:46   #2156

Hello Everyone

Its been a long time since i could come back to this forum and share my ownership experience of Innova Crysta, now 7 months old. I was away and could not use this vehicle with ODO just touching 1400 Km, but a long trip to a hill station is now planned for upcoming summer vacations in June. Hopefully, i will also have something to share after this trip. Can someone share his/her experience of installing projector fog lamps, any recommendation of few brands will be of immense help. Further, i checked various options and brand for mobile holders available in the market, sadly i could not find anything which can stick firmly on its textured dashboard.Just wanted to check if installation on windshield is the only option ?

Many thanks in advance
Old 27th February 2020, 20:50   #2157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaverick View Post
. Further, i checked various options and brand for mobile holders available in the market, sadly i could not find anything which can stick firmly on its textured dashboard.Just wanted to check if installation on windshield is the only option ?

Many thanks in advance
I use the driver side cup holder to the right of the steering for keeping the mobiles. It works well for me.
Old 5th March 2020, 16:48   #2158
BHPian

Quote:
I use the driver side cup holder to the right of the steering for keeping the mobiles. It works well for me.
I have used it too and its my second best option. On longer road trips if the co-passenger has needs to keep an on the Nav system then the cup holders are far apart. Also the AC vent has the tendency to cool up the phone too much at few instances. Not sure, but seems the cable management may also be a problem for charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmaverick View Post
Hello Everyone
Further, i checked various options and brand for mobile holders available in the market, sadly i could not find anything which can stick firmly on its textured dashboard.Just wanted to check if installation on windshield is the only option ?

Many thanks in advance
I am using this one https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...rch_asin_title
?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it sits without any glue pretty much stable on dashboard, minor change of location can be easily adjusted manually.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 16:36   #2159
BHPian

Hi All,

Happy to share that I am now the proud owner of 2.8Z Variant ( Though bought it as second hand from Viva Toyota, Bangalore. It is 2016 Variant and had done 33500 Kms). I have upgraded from Tata Manza which has done 85K in 8 years. There is no comparison between these two cars and till now I am a happy owner with the upgrade. After going through the entire review thread I have the following clarification

1) The car comes with 215 55 R17 tires and all four tires are still in stock condition without any issues. But since these tires are prone to a sidewall cut and I am worried before taking it for any long rides. Now I have the following options and would request the experts to suggest the best option
a) Upgrade the tire to 225 55 R17
b) Upgrade the tire to 215 60 R17
c) Swap it with 16 Inches ( Will it compromise the ride quality)
d) Since there is no damage and tires have 40% life left, should I just
increase the PSI to 35 and live for another 10k Kms and change it when tires are gone with one of the above options. ( Financially no impact )

2) The previous customer has replaced the Brake pads @ 29664 Kms, I am sure it should be good for another 30k Kms. But does that mean I will not face any vibrations if brake at hight speed > 100 kmph? The previous customer has done the skimming at 17192 Km.

3) Facing few rattling in the rear seat and will take it to Toyota to fix those. Will they able to fix it properly and permanently?

4) Which is the best Toyota service center in Bangalore? I stay near Wipro corporate office in Sarajapur road and work in RMZ Ecoworld.
soarer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2020, 17:02   #2160
Senior - BHPian

[quote=amalji;Cruise control is an awesome way to get excellent mileage and at the same time make passengers comfortable without loosing out on trip time much. Another advantage that I find with it is that it helps avoid traffic fines in speed camera flooded highways in Kerala. I put it on 88-89 kmph cruise control once I enter the Kerala border.[/QUOTE]

Don't you find 88-89 kmph way to slow for the highway? Empty stretches at 100-110 kmph I feel I'm standing still.

Most Viewed