Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2020, 12:09   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
One of the USPs of the older Toyotas was low maintenance and service cost. Going through this thread, it doesn't seem to be true of the newer Toyotas. 11.5k is like a huge cost. Is this the cost for the service at every 5k kms?
Its still quite reasonable when you realize a regular service bill of Hyundai i10 or Maruti swift would cost about 6-7K or even more when you add WA/WB. Note that Innova costs 30L while the Swift costs 10L. Older Innova Service bills would be about 6-7K when I used to spend 4K for my Diesel Figo.
Old 16th July 2020, 15:08   #2252
BHPian

I have taken delivery of my 2.4MT GX variant here in Bangalore. I was able to luckily take delivery one day before the lock down started on July 15th! Whatever limited driving I could do on the evening of July14th, I have enjoyed every minute and the engine is superb, now eagerly waiting for the lock down to end. A few pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-1.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-2.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-3.jpg  

Mile10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 15:25   #2253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
[b]

-Service was quick. Gen service done within an hour & they took an extra hour to skin discs

- I noticed shudder couples of times over last 1 years, but that is again after driving for sometime on highways & braking from high speeds (brake fade??). So this time I insisted them to check properly & change the discs if needed. However I was told they did skim the discs and didnt notice any shudder when they went for test drive.
For the first approximately 500 kms after skimming, avoid heavy braking and allow the pads and discs to set in. Braking with a light foot will help even wear on your discs. Also whenever you put in new pads, take it easy on the braking for the first 500 kms. After this, use a brake cleaner and spray on your caliper, pad and disc assembly. This will help to clear off the brake pad dust and dust, mud etc
Old 16th July 2020, 18:49   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile10 View Post
I have taken delivery of my 2.4MT GX variant here in Bangalore. I was able to luckily take delivery one day before the lock down started on July 15th! Whatever limited driving I could do on the evening of July14th, I have enjoyed every minute and the engine is superb, now eagerly waiting for the lock down to end. A few pictures:
So you have replaced parking sensor switch, which to me is most sensible option. In all these years i don't remember using that button and makes no sense to have a button to switch off parking sensors. Happy motoring! BTW that round hanging thing from Nandi Toyota is perfume and lasts quite well. It took me a month to realize that was perfume.

Last edited by PrideRed : 16th July 2020 at 18:52.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 19:49   #2255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
One of the USPs of the older Toyotas was low maintenance and service cost. Going through this thread, it doesn't seem to be true of the newer Toyotas. 11.5k is like a huge cost. Is this the cost for the service at every 5k kms?
I avoid the 5k service/inspection as it makes no sense for me and have to waste a whole day for the same. Even during ownership of our previous innovas, we avoided 5,000 kms inspection after it became clear that it's just waste of time for us.

USP of Toyota is reliability, hence no unexpected parts which automatically leads to less overall service expense. Average service cost is approximately 10,000 rupees which I feel is reasonable for a Innova. My total expense for Innova during this 40,000 kilometres is Rs 46,445/- (including one set of brake pads, one WA/WB, rip-off's worth 3-4 thousand which was refunded on raising the issue). Thanks to the Toyota Connect app, we no longer need to keep the manual bills

Just for the sake comparison my Endeavour costs approximately Rs 1500 - Rs 2000 lesser per service compared to Innova, but then again my endeavour also spent more than 15 days at workshop when it's odometer is at 25000 kilometres approximately.

My 2015 VW vento DSG is on a different level though, 5 years & 85k kilometres later I have spent close 2.2 Lakh rupees on regular service + part failures & DSG replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
For the first approximately 500 kms after skimming, avoid heavy braking and allow the pads and discs to set in. Braking with a light foot will help even wear on your discs. Also whenever you put in new pads, take it easy on the braking for the first 500 kms. After this, use a brake cleaner and spray on your caliper, pad and disc assembly. This will help to clear off the brake pad dust and dust, mud etc
Will surely them in mind. I strongly feel the quality of brake discs/pads in the Innova Crysta is very poor and also a fellow member has gone ahead with big brake kit after trying multiple options.
Old 16th July 2020, 20:08   #2256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Will surely them in mind. I strongly feel the quality of brake discs/pads in the Innova Crysta is very poor and also a fellow member has gone ahead with big brake kit after trying multiple options.
Agree, Endeavour is cheaper to service than Innova. Even wear and tear parts like brake pads are reasonably priced. I think the auto version is known to have lesser brake pad life and also there are judder issue mentioned. One of my manual version has done 45K on stock pads and as per service center they should be good for another 10-20K.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 20:49   #2257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
So you have replaced parking sensor switch, which to me is most sensible option. In all these years i don't remember using that button and makes no sense to have a button to switch off parking sensors. Happy motoring! BTW that round hanging thing from Nandi Toyota is perfume and lasts quite well. It took me a month to realize that was perfume.
Thanks PrideRed. Yes, I thought likewise that is the most sensible option as well. I was going to remove that round hanging thing but then realized that the smell was emanating from it, so guessed it must be some scented paper. Fancy from Nandi Toyota!
Old 18th July 2020, 11:55   #2258

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of finalising an Innova Crysta (8 seater diesel) 2.4 GX M/T here in Delhi, and I'm in a bit of a quandary regarding the accessories to be fitted. Apart from the usual ones like the rear bike protector, rear view camera and the fog lamps, I'm also keen on upgrading to the 2 din premium audio with bluetooth (a pricey affair at nearly 16k) and the LED Headlamps (makes the car look like a top model for about 22k).

Just wanted to know if anyone here has had those fitted to their car, and if they are worth it. Thank you!
Old 18th July 2020, 14:19   #2259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arreyosambha View Post
and the LED Headlamps (makes the car look like a top model for about 22k).
Are you talking about fog lights? The LED headlights cost 45k per piece. Not sure how you are getting it for 22k. Regarding the fog lights, they dont add much lighting on the road. Instead get a HID bixenon projector which will work wonders for lighting and also work out to be more cost effective.
Old 18th July 2020, 16:07   #2260

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Are you talking about fog lights? The LED headlights cost 45k per piece. Not sure how you are getting it for 22k. Regarding the fog lights, they dont add much lighting on the road. Instead get a HID bixenon projector which will work wonders for lighting and also work out to be more cost effective.
Strange, the official accessories list mentions this as "Headlamp trim with LED BLK", so I assumed it referred to the LED headlamps. 45k apiece seems a little steep though, so I doubt I'll go for that. Thank you for letting me know!
Old 22nd July 2020, 13:38   #2261

Bought a Innova Crysta a few months back. GX Automatic 2.8. The old one has done 220000 kms and and still going strong. There are only 2 downsides I noticed with the Crysta. First - The driver seat travel in not enough for taller people. Is should beable to slideback another inch to make it comfortable. Second - There is a significant amount of body roll compared to the old gen Innova.
anujgarg1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 13:16   #2262
BHPian

Does it make sense to go for a Innova Crysta now? When is the facelift expected?
Old 27th July 2020, 11:55   #2263
Distinguished - BHPian

Initially the average FE of our Crysta was hovering around the 9-10kmpl mark. But after 1000kms done, its now settled around the 10kmpl range for purely in City use. But I must also admit that traffic is more or less light and no crawls, traffic jams and stuff. And we stopped using Eco mode normal mode works fine.
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20200725-10.18.10.jpeg

I have got accustomed to using the S mode of the transmission. I was annoyed with the freewheeling of the car in all gears except 5 and 6 with absolutely no engine braking. In the city, this will eat up the brake pads. Hence, I started using S mode most of the times. If I dont hit the main road, I use S2 or S3 and on the main roads S4, and bring it down when I need to slow down. This offers very good engine braking and just a light tap on the brake is enough for the final stop. Hopefully this should improve the brake pad life, which I believe will be pathetic otherwise.

I noticed that on idling the engine for a few minutes, the idle speed increases to 1250 RPM and stays like that for a few minutes before it drops back to the usual 700 RPM. During this time, the exhaust feels moist. I believe this is the regeneration of the SCR. Did anyone else face this behaviour? It does not occur during normal driving. Only in P or N gears. The other observation is that the exhaust is clean and free of any soot, which is the BS6 effect and absolutely no smell that usually comes from a diesel car.
audioholic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 14:45   #2264
BHPian

Completed the 10,000 Km service of my 2.8 GX AT (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review) 2 weeks back. They changed the consumables and charges came to around INR 950. Don't be surprised, I had got the smile package done even few weeks back for 19,400 INR as part of which from 10,000 to 30,000 KM duration over not exceeding 24 months the consumables and labour charges would not be charged by Toyota, provided I do the services at the same dealership.

I saw the bill breakup in their system, for 10,000 KM labour was free anyway but consumables costed around 3,000. I asked them about synthetic / mineral engine oil that cost higher, was told that if I am usually not timely for services and miss by few thousands KMs then those are recommended.

So what they eventually charged me was for cleaning and sanitation mostly, later being reduced to 499 now from earlier 999. The car has performed well so far.

Another part being, I had opted for accessories insurance last year and got hot some time back by a car on the rear bike protector. It absorbed the blow and protected the bumper perfectly but in the process got bent inwards and now one of its side is touching the bumper. Another similar blow on the wrong side and the bumper will take damage this time, although it is still protecting from bruises from 2 wheelers and cycles who hates social distancing. So I wanted to get this replaced under claim, but found that NCB will take hit on the insurance and I would effectively end up paying 6,000 - 7,000 INR from pocket including the NCB amount. To my surprise or call it misconception, the zero dep Toyota Protect insurance which boasts of unlimited claims yet zero dep does not have NCB Protector. I feel then there is not much advantage of getting the Toyota Protect which costs almost double of outside insurances that only allows 2 zero dep claims in a year but protects your NCB. My year 2 renewal of the insurance came to approx. 44,000 INR. Also the service guys refused to do a denting on the bike protector citing that it will lose its might otherwise. I passed this on as a feedback to Toyota in the post service feedback call but thinking if I should visit any FNGs to get this reformed.

Also on request they told me brakes are at 90%, I forgot the figures. So nothing to worry until 35 to 40,000 KM and tire wear is checked too. May be lockdown effect, we hardly get chance to take out the car on longer trips these days.

Nevertheless the car has been an absolute stunner in comfort and performance with the 2.8 Auto, evident on longer drives like the one I made to Vizag early this year (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ht=simhachalam (Journey to Simhachalam & Visakhapatnam in an Innova Crysta))

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujgarg1 View Post
Bought a Innova Crysta a few months back. There is a significant amount of body roll[/b] compared to the old gen Innova.
Generally cars, that too ladder frame, with softer suspension like the Crysta give you more body rolls but then on slower speeds works better on absorbing the road undulations. Its a trade off, otherwise you may hear lot of thuds on regular city roads but may get less body roll on corners on stiffer suspension cars. I make sure to slow down around corners, MPVs are not meant for that anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have got accustomed to using the S mode of the transmission.
This is a good experiment you have done. I will try to adopt and see. In general I have seen that in Normal mode the gear upshifts happen slower as a result if you are in stop and go traffic and you drive with moderate foot then Normal gives better FE. But in Eco the car expects you to be very light on the foot even if all cars are going past you in a stop to go traffic situation. If this does not happen the FE drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile10 View Post
I have taken delivery of my 2.4MT GX variant here in Bangalore. ... eagerly waiting for the lock down to end.
It is due to lockdown on that my 1 year old Crysta has done only 10,000 KM which is nothing in comparison to its potential. This period is frustrating for new car owners I get that at least. Congratulations for your new ownership. Even I have retained the stock seat upholstery not opted for seat covers, I cherish the feel better, but on cleaning jobs at dealership service centers they do not make much effort to clean such seats.

Last edited by haisaikat : 28th July 2020 at 14:52.
Old 29th July 2020, 12:27   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
This is a good experiment you have done. I will try to adopt and see. In general I have seen that in Normal mode the gear upshifts happen slower as a result if you are in stop and go traffic and you drive with moderate foot then Normal gives better FE. But in Eco the car expects you to be very light on the foot even if all cars are going past you in a stop to go traffic situation. If this does not happen the FE drops.
There is a lot of combinations that we all are trying out with regards to Eco/Normal/Power modes and the S mode on the gear.

This is how I use it.

Eco - 100% in the City traffic and sometimes on the Highway as well. The reason why I prefer Eco in the city is that for some reason I feel that the gear is loosely coupled most of the times which reduces the shift shocks a lot especially if you drive the car light. And in the city traffic, there is a lot of speed changes which translates to a lot of gear changes as well.

Normal - Almost 90% of the time on the highways. Reasoning is that I do not get the half clutch feel as prominently as in the Eco mode and hence if I need to make a move suddenly, it has lesser lag compared to the Eco. And even fuel economy wise, I do not feel there is much of a difference while on Normal compared to Eco when I'm mostly cruising.

Power - Very rare. I feel the Normal mode on the 2.8 Diesel gives more than enough power. The Power mode is just for rare occasions when you want to do some madness.

S mode on the gear - Whenever I go downhill and need engine braking. This helps a lot in getting good life out of the Crysta brakes. After 40,000 kms on the odo the crysta still has 6 mm brake pads left on the front brake pads. Another time when I use it is for Italian Diesel tuneup (Italian tune-up: Does it really work?)
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks