Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 15:15   #2281
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Cross posting from another thread.
Need your feedback on whether a petrol Innova actually makes sense
With everything being the same with not having to go for the BS6, I would have picked up the Diesel for the fun to drive factor and the practical torque curve.

But, with BS6 Diesels, I still remain skeptical ( I hope I am proved wrong. But, I'm on the fence on this one as of now ). If I am in the market now, I'll wait and see if Toyota plans to bring a Petrol hybrid variant for the Innova Crysta and if so wait for it. If the wait is too long, I'll go for the Petrol. And this is not based on how economical it is. It is based on the peace of mind that I expect in the long term ownership.

PS: Please be aware that globally, Toyota doesn't have a hybrid variant for a real wheel drive ICE vehicle. So, it's not a simple thing for Toyota to pull in hybrid into the likes of Innova, Fortuner and Hilux.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 15:40   #2282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Though our usage will be less than 10k kms, we went ahead for the diesel crysta, but well aware of the things like BS6 guidelines, NGT ban etc. Though we have not used the car enough to guage the behaviour of the DPF and SCR, I do not think Toyota would have let their reliability image from many years to get shattered by an exhaust emission control system. That too when they are very well aware of what kind of usage Innovas go through. Hence the DPF should last pretty long. For the low runners, regeneration might be required manually once in a while and mind you, it will affect the DPF life in the long run. But a long drive once in a while is a good idea, or at least a long journey within the city. Note that it need not be a spirited drive. Consistent high exhaust temperature is all that needed for it to be in good shape along with good diesel.

Coming to the petrol, I would have loved to take a TD of the petrol automatic during purchase but as expected, there was no vehicle available. Hence, I have only driven the 2.4 and 2.8AT. One thing I can definitely tell is that such a big car needs a torquey engine to pull all the load effortlessly. Toyota uses an old school NA 2.7L engine which might be insanely reliable and more long lasting than the diesel. But what it lacks is torque. I am amazed at how our Crysta pulls with full load, yet the engine will be in the 2K RPM range without needing to rev high. The Petrol engine having a lesser torque output will need to be either driven sedately or will have to be kept on the boil if under full load. Needless to say, it will guzzle fuel and yet be non exciting to drive. Of course, I will repeatedly confess that I havent driven the car and I am just imagining how 115NM lesser torque would be like in the petrol. There is 15PS of extra power in the petrol, but that would have felt better if it was a sedan

In my opinion, one should buy an Innova Petrol only after being well aware of the consequences and must be free of regret later. That initial money we pay for the diesel can be forgotten quite soon, but living for a long time with the petrol alongside its poor FE, dull drive and not fetching resale is a bigger problem. If one lives in a city where CNG is popular, resale might be a smaller issue since buyers can consider that option. But it is yet to pick up in all cities and that too when the Innova is a choice for long distance drives. At least if you buy the diesel, it will fetch good resale and you might even be able to swap to a petrol Innova with a profit anytime you want.

Talking about NGT Bans, there is a risk, but considering the fact that BS6 norms were more focussed on cleaner diesel engines, I am doubtful if they would repeat ten year bans. Perhaps, we will shortly look at a fixed 15 year life of all vehicles. But I dont think a ten year ban will happen especially after BS6 implementation. I am welcome to correction if I have been extremely biased to the diesel. But with the kind of petrol engine Toyota has to offer and the way the market has responded to the idea of a 'petrol' Innova, I would risk a DPF failure to that. At least for a typical usage of 10yrs, 1L kms which I am looking at, it should be sufficient especially since the first five years are under warranty and if a premature failure happens we can easily estimate what could be the average life of these components. I think Diesel will still rule the large engine market especially on SUVs, MPVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
PS: Please be aware that globally, Toyota doesn't have a hybrid variant for a real wheel drive ICE vehicle. So, it's not a simple thing for Toyota to pull in hybrid into the likes of Innova, Fortuner and Hilux.
Of course, if we are expecting major powertrain changes to the Innova, that will only be with a new platform. Maybe they will trickle down the e-AWD concept in the Vellfire to the next generation of Innova and Fortuner. Until then, we have to do with the GD engine. But the question I have is, given how conservative Toyota is with the power output of the engine, is excessive smoke an issue with the Crysta in BS4? I have seen a few Hyundais and Fords as well as Marutis emit visible smoke under few conditions but have not seen much of Crystas do that. Relatively in that sense, the DPF of the Crysta should be having an easier job of removing soot particles.

Last edited by audioholic : 27th August 2020 at 15:45.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 19:19   #2283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post

I guess you meant Body on Frame vehicles?

Till the next gen Landcruiser comes (J300?), Toyota will continue with the bigger capacity petrols and turbo-diesels in their body on frames.

With the next gen Landcruiser, turbo petrols and hybrids will surely come and trickle down to the cheaper models. But the IMV platform vehicles may only benefit with the next generational change to the TNGA platform, which is like half a decade away I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
is excessive smoke an issue with the Crysta in BS4? I have seen a few Hyundais and Fords as well as Marutis emit visible smoke under few conditions but have not seen much of Crystas do that. Relatively in that sense, the DPF of the Crysta should be having an easier job of removing soot particles.
Guess it may have to with the load on the engine. The Innovas having bigger capacity may not need to work much in most conditions, while smaller capacity diesel engines may have to work more. Ofcourse bigger diesels in the erstwhile Cruze, VAG models and BMW do also smoke under heavy acceleration.
But Ford's, Hyundais and Fiat engines do have a propensity to smoke more in varied conditions, maybe in tune with their freer feeling nature
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 21:40   #2284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Resurrecting an old thread.

A close relative of mine would like to purchase a brand new automatic Crysta. ZX variant only. He's currently using a petrol Ertiga which will soon be 8 years old.

He's split between the petrol and diesel variants since his running is only 10,000 kms a year. He primarily drives in the city but chances are he'll be taking the car on highway drives more often, probably once in 6 months.

His daily commute is 11 kms one way which takes approximately 35 minutes inclusive of 15 minutes of idling.

1) Is it worth investing in a petrol Crysta?
2) With the running conditions mentioned above, will the diesel particulate filter (DPF) get clogged quickly?
3) How much mileage can we realistically expect from the petrol and diesel Innova?
4) Parts availability for the petrol variant?
5) The unpredictable NGT 10 year rule although he's in Chennai. Should we take this into account?

He's planning to keep the car for 5-7 years although I would encourage to keep a car like Innova for 10 years.

Looking forward to your opinions
1) If he is okay with an average of 9KPL and a yearly fuel expense of close to a lakh per year if he runs 10000Km then ask him to go for Petrol Innova. It is very refined inside. Unlike the general consensus that 2.7 petrol is dull it can move if you stomp on the throttle. The very same 2.7 liter petrol is used in Hiluxes, Tacomas, Prados and the likes. For Innova it is not slow if you don't want it to be.

2) In 11kms a Diesel engine won't even properly warm up. Eventually the DPF will get clogged as such a short start and stop drive will not let the DPF regenerate automatically and the driver will have to use the regen switch when the light comes on after parking somewhere safe (do not park over or near dried grass or inflammable material).

3) Petrol innova averages around 9kpl maybe on fourlanes it will breach double digit figure on MID. Diesel on an average gives minimum 4-5KPL more at all driving conditions. If the use do not justify a Diesel do not buy it with all its complicated emissions components bolted on to it. Avoid BS6 Diesels if the use does not justify it.

4) The only thing different would be the engine no? That is a proven unit across the globe and is an older engine than the GD diesels. Parts availability shouldn't be an issue even in India. The transmission is the same for both (obviously ratios might be different).

5) Anything can happen as the sentiment across the globe is against Diesels. 50/50 can't say what will be the situation in 2030. No one will boot the petrol overnight due to its saintly image
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:04   #2285
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review - BS6 Crysta - 2nd service update

Thanks to Corona and lock down first time in my life the car that I own was unable to clock 5000 Kms even after 6 months of purchase.
The odometer stood at 3300 Kms on 21st of Aug, exactly after 6 months of the car coming home.
Just because the manual mandated a service at 6 months, I was not convinced to service the car without using it. Finally, Just to put some Kms on the odometer, I did a small trip to Hassan last week and clocked another 500 Kms and decided to give it to for service .

Service Center experience during Corona times:
Amidst the rising cases in Bangalore I was skeptical about going to the service station. However since it was mandatory according to the manual to get the 6 months service done, I was not left with lot of choice. I approached Nandi Toyota on Hosur road and took an appointment. Inquired with
them on various precautions that they are taking and learnt that they had proper procedures in place.
The car was sanitized on entry and before handing back to owner, all the technicians and executives were present with PPE kits and ya social distancing and masks were a must.

Reached the service center on time and met the service manager, however while talking to the service manager I came to know that the BS6 vehicles were supposed to get serviced only once in 10000 Kms or 1 year. I showed them the manual and the service card in the manual which came up as a surprise to them. They took the service card from me and took it for some verification and then came back and told me that its just check up and they gave back the service card with a written note on it saying that I can use this service card for 10000 Km service and I can use the 10000 Km service card for 20000 Km service.

This was relief for me because I was always troubled with this idea of visiting service center every 5000 Kms during this age & time when few of the manufactures even have 15000 Kms interval between their services.

The express service was shut down due to lack of technicians and the estimate given to me was of couple of hours.However I received the car back in an hours time with external cleaning and disinfectant cleaning done.
I was charged RS 1400/- for basic check up ( fluid top up's) & cleaning and dis-infecting the whole car.
All the touch point in the car was covered with disposable white cloth during delivery and the entire experience was completely contact less.
As an added precaution I made sure that I was not sitting in the lounge areas and spent my whole time there walking and burning calories.
shreehari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 16:15   #2286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreehari View Post
This was relief for me because I was always troubled with this idea of visiting service center every 5000 Kms during this age & time when few of the manufactures even have 15000 Kms interval between their services.
The express service was shut down due to lack of technicians and the estimate given to me was of couple of hours.However I received the car back in an hours time with external cleaning and disinfectant cleaning done.
I was charged RS 1400/- for basic check up ( fluid top up's) & cleaning and dis-infecting the whole car.
Weird. In my owners manual it clearly states 10000km for the second service. Though it is a sticker pasted on the older service interval. And when I went for the first service, the service sticker they pasted clearly states that the next service is in a year or 10k kms. You should have not even paid for this 5k kms service ideally.

Last edited by ampere : 30th August 2020 at 07:42. Reason: fixed quotes
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 07:55   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In my owners manual it clearly states 10000km for the second service.
Thanks for clearing the doubt. It's a huge relief. My owners manual is silent on service interval or may be I am missing something. Though the Toyota Connect app mentions 10k service for BSVI Innova Crysta, time duration is still not mentioned. Do u mind sharing a snap of ur owner's manual mentioning kms and duration?

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_047f41ef3a4c1.jpeg
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 21:35   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
Thanks for clearing the doubt. It's a huge relief. Though the Toyota Connect app mentions 10k service for BSVI Innova Crysta, time duration is still not mentioned. Do u mind sharing a snap of ur owner's manual mentioning kms
Here you go:
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-576c98b6a09147208c255940d8289a93.jpeg

Second service card says its at 12 months and 10000Kms whichever is earlier.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 22:06   #2289
BHPian

Thank you so much. I missed the print.
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:27   #2290
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed that engine malfuntion light(yellow indicator) light and battery indicator(red with battery symbol) continues to glow while all other warning and indicator lights go off after a few seconds when the key is in the second position of the ignition switch.
Both of the above mentioned lights go off once the engine is cranked.
Has anyone noticed the same in their crytas? Is it normal?
Mine is a 2.7 Gx automatic petrol.

Last edited by caraholic : 3rd September 2020 at 06:29.
Old 3rd September 2020, 07:33   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
I have noticed that engine malfuntion light(yellow indicator) light and battery indicator(red with battery symbol) continues to glow while all other warning and indicator lights go off after a few seconds when the key is in the second position of the ignition switch.
Both of the above mentioned lights go off once the engine is cranked.
That’s completely normal behaviour, not just in your Innova, but in most modern vehicles today. As long as the CEL (and all other lights) extinguishes after engine start, you have nothing to worry about.

If it stays on, it means there is an error code/s saved on the computer which demands further OBD2 diagnosis.

Keep Calm & Enjoy your Toyota 2.7L gem. It’s renowned worldwide for its bulletproof reliability. See link below -

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=125

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 3rd September 2020 at 08:00. Reason: Attached link
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:32   #2292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by caraholic View Post
Same with my Crysta Gx At diesel
Check engine light goes off only after engine is cranked. This is a completely normal behavior. Relax

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_56512.jpg
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:08   #2293
BHPian

Re: Cruise Control Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Quite a few developments on my Crysta since July 2018 until now.

In August I put Bilstein B6 on it. Sourced through a friend in Cochin (just a week before the dreaded flood). The first B6 equipped Crysta in the country.
Attachment 1818406
Attachment 1818405

Some nice seats, full genuine leather.
Attachment 1818408
Attachment 1818407

A genuine TRD gearknob in sort of matching color to the seats.
Attachment 1818409
Attachment 1818410

OT: Loaded with some relief materials for the flood affected, the vehicle. Didn't have third row then, now its bolted back in place.
Attachment 1818419

Yes thats the one.
Hi sankar, how are the bilsteins fairing on your car? any further points to note after 2 years of usage?
Old 4th September 2020, 22:30   #2294
BHPian

Recently, I have been hearing a lot of complains about Toyota overcharging Crysta customers for repair jobs and even regular service. A distant acquaintance of mine recently serviced his car with only regular oil and filter change and was charged 12k+. Is it normal for Crysta these days. Also there are some recent post on YouTube regarding Toyota charging 43k for rear seat armrest replacement or 1lakh for AC repair.

Toyota is synonymous to reliability and customer satisfaction. I being a previous gen Innova owner, am very satisfied with their service so far. I just hope these are one off cases and won't become the norm for Toyota. Current Crysta owners please share if any of you faced any such bummer recently.
Old 4th September 2020, 23:00   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
Recently, I have been hearing a lot of complains about Toyota overcharging Crysta customers for repair jobs and even regular service. A distant acquaintance of mine recently serviced his car with only regular oil and filter change and was charged 12k+.
Which service was that? Our Innova Crysta 2.4 GX MT, 2018 model had it's 40 K kms service post lock down at Harsha Toyota, Kothaguda, Hyderabad. The bill was around 9,800 including GST and sanitation. The same was informed to me by my brother. Compare it with B1 hatchback, our Wagon R 40 K kms service at Varun motors, Begumpet costed almost the same in 2019. It was about 9,700 rupees. I'd say even 12K is a reasonable amount for Innova's service. If your friend's vehicle is an AT, probably they might have changed brake pads etc as they wear out prematurely on AT Innovas and Fortuner, it also depends on driving style.

Toyota is the only brand we rely on for flawless service, and we give our vehicles for service at A.S.C's even after warranty is finished as the SAs and mechanics at Toyota are very genuine and they don't us push for unnecessary repairs and services unlike other dealers as per my experience.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks