Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2020, 23:22   #2296
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSierra View Post
If your friend's vehicle is an AT, probably they might have changed brake pads etc as they wear out prematurely on AT Innovas and Fortuner, it also depends on driving style.

Toyota is the only brand we rely on for flawless service, and we give our vehicles for service at A.S.C's even after warranty is finished as the SAs and mechanics at Toyota are very genuine and they don't us push for unnecessary repairs and services unlike other dealers as per my experience.
I'm not sure which service was it but it wasn't AT and no brake pads were changed. And why should ATs have premature brake pad wear considering 80% manual drivers don't use engine braking for day to day drive.

I agree with you that Toyota is a reliable brand with one of the best after sales in India and as I said, being a Toyota owner I have experienced the same. But it's not just him but even on some social media like YouTube I heard they are overcharging for simple repairs. That's why I was asking if anyone on the forum faced anything unusual with them in recent times.
Old 5th September 2020, 08:06   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
And why should ATs have premature brake pad wear considering 80% manual drivers don't use engine braking for day to day drive.
3 reasons I can think of.
  1. Even if the person is not really aware of what engine braking is, the person will still be using it without his own knowledge especially on city and village driving. As soon as the A pedal is lifted off on lower gear, there is an engine braking on the manual transmissions. On the torque converter ATs of Toyota ( and probably other brands as well ), as soon as you lift your legs off the pedal, the vehicle feels like coasting in neutral. This happens even if you are on low gears! This I believe is due to the loose coupling in torque converter.
  2. Consider the case where you are driving down a hill ( like in the case of Ooty - Mysore road ), with the vehicle in Drive mode, it will heat up your brakes considerably whereas in manual by just being on 2nd or 3rd gear, the problem is taken care of even without the driver realising it that he really needs engine braking.
  3. When you brake in a traffic light, if you don't change from the drive mode there is a constant fight going on between the brakes and the engine. The incentive for changing to N or P is not there for an automatic driver because everything feels normal even when you have the brakes applied completely in D mode. This problem is not there for the variants with Auto start/stop because the engine shuts off when you stop in traffic.

Note: I do use a Crysta 2.8 Diesel AT and I have completed 45,000 kms without any brake pad replacements. I still have 6mm of front brake pads and 3.5 mm of rear brake shoes left after the 45000 kms service. This is also because I got to know about this problem from owners of the Crysta on this forum and hence made some conscious changes in the way I drive the car. for eg:-
  • Every single time I'm coasting down a road or even a parking lot, I switch to manual mode and use engine braking. And I might use 1 gear lower than what I use in a manual vehicle to account for the loss in engine braking due to the loose coupling of the torque converters.
  • I also take my legs of the pedal a tad bit earlier than what I would normally do on a manual to account for the neutral like coasting that I will get before coming to a stop and hence the need to use brakes comes down even in normal driving.

And yes, the auto start/stop on the touring sport variant that I have helps as well in traffic lights.

Last edited by amalji : 5th September 2020 at 08:09.
amalji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 08:47   #2298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
I'm not sure which service was it but it wasn't AT and no brake pads were changed. And why should ATs have premature brake pad wear considering 80% manual drivers don't use engine braking for day to day drive.
The AT gearbox in D mode offers absolutely no engine braking in 1-3 gears and only in 4th and above there is torque converter lockup at times which offers some engine braking during prolonged braking. Rest of the times, the car coasts as soon as you lift the foot of the pedal. This is the reason there is higher pad wear in the AT. It would help the brakes driving in S mode and choosing the right gear limit based on the traffic condition. In the city I generally use S3 or S4 and once in the highway the moment I sense a need to slow down to a stop or crawl I switch to S4 and decrease till 2 as the car slows down. This will benefit a lot and only a light pressure on the brake pedal is enough to provide the required amount of braking.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 22:03   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I am finally able to get MirrorLink to work on the Innova Crysta stock head unit.
I have been trying to make the mirror link work ever since I got my crysta 3 months back. Finally I gave up. It was a bolt from the blue, I hit upon this post of yours. You just pulled the rabbit out of the hat. I am considering buying a stone age phone to make mirror link work. My primary requirement is Google maps and calls. Before doing that I have few queries:
1. Are you facing any hiccups while using S3 and mirror link?
2. Is the connectivity butter smooth or are there any disconnections?
3. Can a second phone be connected via bluetooth for answering calls or for music along with mirror linked S3?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Bravo
bravo82in is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 00:30   #2300
BHPian

Innova Crysta- buy now or wait?

Hello fellow members,

Please advise.

Should I purchase the Innova Crysta Vx now (am hoping for some discounts during the Pujas next month or maybe year ending discount on December) or should I wait for the facelifted model due sometime mid 2021?

I've been searching the net for weeks, but haven't got any reliable news on when exactly the facelifted model is due and what changes there might be.

If it's just lights and design changes, along with different alloys and music system (I understand it'll get Android Auto and Apple Car play), then I wouldn't mind getting the current avatar, if slightly cheaper.

But if there are some major changes like Panoramic sunroof - my kids have been after me to get the Harrier for just that - and other fancy stuff, then I'll be sorely disappointed six months down the line driving my "new" Innova and watching the newer Innova with some fancy features glide by.

I sold my Hexa XTA just before Covid 19 struck and now need a big family car, preferably soon.

Thanking you all in anticipation of some solid advices. Best wishes and stay safe.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2020 at 08:18. Reason: Panaromic > Panoramic
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 03:03   #2301
BHPian

Re: Innova Crysta- buy now or wait?

Don't wait for facelift version if you need the car right now. There won't be any changes mechanically, facelifted version might receive just cosmetic updates like new headlight assembly, grille and bumper. It might cost an additional 50 K to 1 lakh more for these cosmetic updates which doesn't make any sense. You should have retained your Hexa XTA which is an absolute VFM car! We have a Crysta, but I must say, the Ride quality and AT of Hexa is way better than Crysta. Only good thing with Toyota is its reliability and total peace of mind. Hexa is an equally good product.

Please read pride red's post from Innova Crysta official review thread :

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
I am a bit surprised as current gen Crysta is almost unchanged since launch in 2016. Toyota typically upgrades its models in 3-4 years. While Crysta has received plenty of limited editions, feature rejigs, engine changes the exterior and overall feature set has not changed much. Toyota will most likely update Innova next year, which will also come with enhanced kit. That said prices will only go north and I don't see any changes to mechanical's. If you are not too much into features, get the current one. Also note that Toyota is known to ruin the design with update!

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...eview-152.html (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)
WhiteSierra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 08:12   #2302
BHPian

People who buy Innovas get them for the proven reliability and not for all the bells and whistles. The interior even on the top spec of Innova may not have even half of the features which some of the competition provides at a much lesser price. It is the same reason why the Innova at its ridiculous pricing still manages to sell in those numbers.

So if you believe that features like electric passenger seat adjust, sunroof, voice control, better Infotainment system and even better NVH including a host of other things will be important then look at the MG Hector Plus which comes with the same engine that Jeep Compass, Tata Harrier use - the 2.0 litre Fiat Multijet Diesel in varied avatars and gets you even more features. Since you are from a hill area also compare the FWD (Hector Plus) vs RWD (Innova) comparison based on whether you drive with more load at the back or at the front for most of the time.

Last edited by haisaikat : 14th September 2020 at 08:13.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 09:08   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

If you want an Innova, the best time to buy is Now.
Not the present condition, but for the fact that the prices will just keep on increasing.

And going by the Fortuner and Hilux midlife facelift, no chance of a sunroof. Let alone a panoramic sunroof.

The usual styling changes, colours, infotainment upgradation to Android Auto/Apple car Play.
Maybe wireless phone charging, upgraded music system, 360° camera etc, if you look by the facelifted Fortuners'.

Only change substantial enough would be if they re-introduced the 2.8 (fat chance!!!) or make the 6spd manual standard across the range (would have done that during BS6 transition it they wanted)

If you can wait and wouldn't mind the price increase, do wait for the facelifted one. You do get factory fitted new features and fresher styling.

But if you want it now. Do buy it. Changes wouldn't be substantial enough for you to ever feel buyer remorse. Add to that in typical Toyota fashion, the facelift would entail just soft part changes.
Easy enough to change if you get bored by the design years down the line.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 14:25   #2304
BHPian

Thank you for the quick, detailed reply guys.

Yes, I regret selling my Hexa XTA. It was exactly two years old with no troubles what so ever. Ride was fantastic and lovely power too. The torque was addictive.

But my mother who's 75, found it difficult to climb in and out of the Hexa and found the doors too heavy. Did a kind of a distress sale for just 11 Lakh.

We had a previous gen Innova in the family before the Hexa and everyone loved it, so reverting back to Toyota.

I don't care much for any expected design changes in the forthcoming Crysta. The current one looks nice enough and God knows Toyota might make it uglier like they did on the last iteration of the previous Innova ( Remember the ugly gaping grill?). But I'd really like the Panaromic sunroof.

But you guys make sense. No point paying upto a lakh more for basically the same car, esp. in these hard hit Covid times.

I'll wait till October, hoping for some Puja discounts. Right now, every last rupee saved, counts.

Historically, does Toyota give good Year End discounts?

Once again, Thank you guys!
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 16:31   #2305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post

But my mother who's 75, found it difficult to climb in and out of the Hexa and found the doors too heavy. Did a kind of a distress sale for just 11 Lakh. ?
Are you sure that she's going to be comfortable with an innova since the current model requires bit of a hike for anyone below 5'5, which is essentially the reason you got rid of the hexa.

Like others have said if you want a Crysta now, go for it. I personally don't think it can get any better apart from the features on offer. But for me it compensates more than enough with the reliability, yes I know at that price point all the offerings are reliable enough but if someone's spending 25 big one's than they atleast deserve a bullet proof engine with a fuss free experience being the cherry on the top .
Abhi5868 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 17:03   #2306
Senior - BHPian

I quickly googled and found this picture. Looks delicious when compared to the current Crysta. If my memory saves me right then this looks more like the Toyota Highlander

Please wait. Toyota brought the Qualis into India around 1998, they refreshed it in 2002 and there were not many changes other than lights and colours etc.. The Innova came in 2005, got 4 facelifts and there was an engine change in 2011. Distinguished members kindly correct me if I got the years wrong, but hope you get the drift

The next change is looking like its going to be both mechanical and cosmetic and yes the panoramic sun roof is the flavour of the moment, and the Toyota marketing team will be rooting for it for sure

P.S: I would be looking and snagging a brilliant deal on the soon to be outgoing Kia Carnival with a facelift already announced in the international market
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-hqdefault.jpg  

TheARUN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 19:15   #2307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
The next change is looking like its going to be both mechanical and cosmetic and yes the panoramic sun roof is the flavour of the moment, and the Toyota marketing team will be rooting for it for sure
The next facelift will come in 2021 for sure don't know the timeline though, also Toyota usually introduces a generation change for it's MPV and SUVs in 10 years. The Innova Crysta is just 4 years old in our market so definitely it won't be getting a sunroof, mechanical changes! Only cosmetic changes on the outside and a few additional features on the inside like new touchscreen with Apple Carplay and Android Auto.

I suggest the OP to go ahead with the current Crysta since the facelift will not get any significant upgrades.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 19:53   #2308
BANNED

Better to buy it now rather than waiting for the facelift and this is one car that holds it's resale value stronger than any other car sold in the country. Reliability = Toyota Innova/Crysta so don't worry about anything and buy around Diwali/Puja time so you do get some kind of discounts/offers from Toyota on the Crysta.

Last edited by a4anurag : 14th September 2020 at 20:02.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 01:50   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Buy it considering you need a large car and the potential savings. I seriously doubt much is going to change. The XUV 500 maybe an option, but seems like waiting is out of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
But if there are some major changes like Panoramic sunroof - my kids have been after me to get the Harrier for just that
Highly unlikely that the Innova is going to get a sunroof considering the roof mounted AC. I don't think Toyota will choose Form over Function and change the design of the rear AC. If sunroof is a requirement, evaluate Crysta vs Harrier and buy whatever suits you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
If my memory saves me right then this looks more like the Toyota Highlander

Please wait. Toyota brought the Qualis into India around 1998, they refreshed it in 2002 and there were not many changes other than lights and colours etc.
I seriously doubt the credibility of that photo. Knowing the 10 year lifespan, Toyota isn't going to change the chassis too much.

Also, the Qualis was a heavily modified third gen Kijang sold in India when other markets were getting the 4th gen car. Toyota India skipped the 4th gen car and gave us the 5th gen Kijang as the "Innova" from 2004-15. Toyota was testing the waters back in '99-00, but the Innova is a favorite in India today.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th September 2020 at 08:18. Reason: XIV > XUV, quoted post edited. Thanks!
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 15:59   #2310
BHPian

Thank you all. Much appreciated.

Now I'm looking at either the current Crysta or save a few bucks and go for the Harrier XZ plus.

Its cheaper, I'll probably get more discounts Year end, more fuel efficient than the Crysta, It's got more ground clearance (A very important factor around here) and the kids want the Sunroof.

Just a niggling doubt how a Tata vehicle wil hold up after six- seven years. My previous Hexa felt fresh and new after two years, yet there were frequent small problems and one major one- all of which the company solved promptly.

My Innova before that -I had one from 2010 to 2017, was rock solid and no problems what so ever.

Decisions, decisions.. Heading back to the Harrier threads to get some more knowledge.

Team.Bhp is the greatest, isn't it?
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed