Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2016, 13:54   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Thanks for the detailed review GTO & Rehaan

With Innova moving to D segment, its really a great opportunity for Maruti to fill the old innova's position with a Grand Ertiga on Ciaz platform with 1.6 DDiS.
I dont think old innova's position is still open. Remember when Toyota scrapped off Qualis from it's portfolio, people who wanted quails coughed up extra cash and bought the new innova. No other SUV/MUV could grab that spot left vacant by Qualis.

To be noted is that Innova back then, was a new product,- not tried nor tested. Yet it flew off the shelves. Now, with that name and status innova has built for itselves, anyone with a 15+ lakh budget looking for a 7 seater, will settle down only for another innova.

And Maruti plonking 1.6 DDIS on any car in the future, is doubtful. They should be busy with Ignis now. Ertiga enjoys success and they would not want to cannibalise it with another product in the MUV class.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th July 2016 at 13:58.
Old 24th July 2016, 18:53   #227
BHPian

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by methecupid View Post
The Innova has taken the garb of a heavier, taller car and no more as easily manoeuvrable as it was. People, please get your priorities right before purchasing. It's still as good as as it ever was, if not better, at being that mile muncher but if your primary requirement a daily city beater, you might just want to be driven in it.

Spot on. The Crysta feels more like an extremely sorted SUV. The car like ride of the previous gen is missing though.

The handling is decent for a vehicle this size and height. I hardly find myself slowing down during corners.

Last edited by sudeep.pandya : 24th July 2016 at 18:55.
Old 25th July 2016, 10:21   #228
BHPian

So I finally took the plunge and got me a brand new Toyota Innova Crysta. I will put up a detailed experience soon but for now I will let the pictures do the talking.

Pic-1: We saw 17 Crystas delivered that day my name (Read: Father’s Name) was on the top. I asked why didn’t put up rest of the name, they said they ran out of letters.
Pic-2 & 3: After delivery. They should have hired me at the expo, right?
Pic-4: IMO, its the best angle to view this ‘Car’ from. Though i don’t like a lot of bling, rear chrome ornament was last minute purchase.
Pic-5 to 8: Religious rituals in progress. Yes, I look like awestruck.
Pic:-9: Bon voyage

My initial views:

1. Having owned 1st generation Innova, cabin insulation & engine refinement is phenomenal. Cabin now feels upmarket and premium.
2. I don’t feel like I am driving a 15 feet car. It feels like a well sorted and composed SUV.
3. Seats and suspensions are top notch.
4. I am getting an average of 10-11.5 kms to the litre with A/C on at all times. Expecting it to increase after 1st service (ODO at 438 Kms)
5. Gear throws are still longer and spongy but improvement over the previous one, which were truck like.
6. ICE’s HU is awesome and is loaded with features but speakers needs urgent replacement. (have highs and lows, no mid)
7. Auto folding mirrors is solely missed but I am not complaining since I had to roll the window down and manually adjust in my 1st generation Innova.
8. Body Sheet is very thin and one can expect dings and dimples with people just rubbing against it.
9. I like how I still get admiring glances from old Innova owners and cabbies. Like GTO said, its every cabbie’s dream.
10. Got to experience Hill Assist Control. It is definitely a welcome feature while driving on slopes.
11. Seat beside the driver seat (Read: Shotgun Seat) cannot be adjust for height which is a let down.
12. Arm rests in the captain seats are skinny but comfortable.
13. Looking for side steps since its very difficult to ingress and egress for the elderly. Any leads are welcome?

I will update more once I complete first service at 1K kilometers. Thanks!

drive_angry
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-1.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-2.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-3.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-4.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-5.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-6.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-7.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-8.jpg  

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-9.jpg  

drive_angry is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 12:10   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Auto folding mirrors is solely missed but I am not complaining since I had to roll the window down and manually adjust in my 1st generation Innova.
Buddy, you need to check this again. They are pretty much there in Z variant and from the pictures I can make out you have a Z variant.

My Innova Crysta is also Z Manual and it has this feature, where the mirrors autofold at the press of a button and can be adjusted from inside.

Wish you all the best with your new ride.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 12:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
Buddy, you need to check this again. They are pretty much there in Z variant and from the pictures I can make out you have a Z variant.

My Innova Crysta is also Z Manual and it has this feature, where the mirrors autofold at the press of a button and can be adjusted from inside.

Wish you all the best with your new ride.
Thank you for your wishes sir but I think I haven't made it clear enough regarding auto folding mirrors, let me clarify. What I meant was when you lock or unlock the car, the ORVM needs to close/open automatically, a useful feature present in all Hyundai hatches (AFAIK) but is missing in 20L car

drive_angry
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 04:21   #231
Senior - BHPian

What is the expected fuel efficiency of the 2.7 litre petrol engine.?
It will probably make its way into the Fortuner too.

Thank you
Old 26th July 2016, 11:43   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Thank you for your wishes sir but I think I haven't made it clear enough regarding auto folding mirrors, let me clarify. What I meant was when you lock or unlock the car, the ORVM needs to close/open automatically, a useful feature present in all Hyundai hatches (AFAIK) but is missing in 20L car

drive_angry
This is interesting. I have not heard of this feature on any car in India. So surprised this is available in Hyundai/s. I thought Auto Folding was limited to a switch on the dashboard or the door to fold and unfold. Having is work with Car locking and unlocking is not something I have not seen yet. At least on any Indian car. I have a Ford Endeavour (new) and that too does not have this.
Old 26th July 2016, 11:57   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
This is interesting. I have not heard of this feature on any car in India. So surprised this is available in Hyundai/s. I thought Auto Folding was limited to a switch on the dashboard or the door to fold and unfold. Having is work with Car locking and unlocking is not something I have not seen yet. At least on any Indian car. I have a Ford Endeavour (new) and that too does not have this.
Hi Nareshtrao,

I have a XUV W6 AT, and it has the same function. It folds when you lock the car and unfolds as soon as you put the ignition on.
tirthankard77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2016, 12:29   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Hi Nareshtrao,

I have a XUV W6 AT, and it has the same function. It folds when you lock the car and unfolds as soon as you put the ignition on.
Thank you. Is this something that is set by default at all times or is this an option in settings you can choose to enable or disable? Is this a SW feature? Appreciate your inputs.
Old 26th July 2016, 12:48   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
What is the expected fuel efficiency of the 2.7 litre petrol engine.?
It will probably make its way into the Fortuner too.

Thank you
If the petrol engine is built on the same platform as the diesel (TNGA-Toyota New Generation Architecture), I would be surprised to see anything above 9 kilometers to the litre for the petrol variant. As per my conversation with Toyota folks, its not available for all the markets (At least not in Chandigarh, Himachal & Mohali (Punjab)) but the ones been affected by blanket ban.

Till the next generation Fortuner (Speculated: Early 2017) and Corolla (Speculated Mid 2017) are launched in India, Innova Cyrsta (Petrol and Diesel) is going to be Toyota’s sole bread and butter.

I would need advice/help with the following:

1. Getting the car coated by 3M-Chandigarh. Any reviews or experience?
2. How successful are side steps (Drops the ground clearance by 3 inches) and front grill guard (Increases the length by 9 inches)?

Thank you!

drive_angry
Old 26th July 2016, 13:29   #236
BHPian

Quote:
.. Having is work with Car locking and unlocking is not something I have not seen yet. At least on any Indian car. I have a Ford Endeavour (new) and that too does not have this.
I've the same feature in my Micra CVT bought in 2013. There's a button with 'Auto' on one side and 'Close' on the other side. If Auto is selected, the mirrors open when unlocked and close when locked. If Close is chosen, they will be closed if open and remain closed. If I chose a position between these two (auto/close) , it will either remain opened or remain closed until next action.

Hope I'm clear on this. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 26th July 2016 at 13:30.
Old 26th July 2016, 14:54   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
Hi Nareshtrao,

In my XUV W8, it "unfolds" the moment i unlock the doors. I do not have to switch the ignition on.

Quote:
Thank you. Is this something that is set by default at all times or is this an option in settings you can choose to enable or disable? Is this a SW feature? Appreciate your inputs.
Not sure if this can be disabled. Have not come across any option to do so in the user manual as such.

Last edited by ajayclicks : 26th July 2016 at 14:54. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 27th July 2016, 03:09   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

2. How successful are side steps (Drops the ground clearance by 3 inches) and front grill guard (Increases the length by 9 inches)?
Thank you!
drive_angry
1) What kind of coating are you looking for?
3M has surface refinement with fully synthetic polymer bonded polish

2) Side step and front bull bar will interfere with the airbag functionality.
Check with Toyota before you decide
Old 27th July 2016, 08:03   #239
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you!

drive_angry
Hi drive-angry! First of all congratulations for your new car!! I was very close to buying one but things did not work out. Regarding coating I have not heard anything tremendous about 3m chandigarh center. If you want wax 42 paint protection coating you can go to hybrid customs or if you want glass coating you can go to way2shine.
Cheers!
Old 27th July 2016, 19:51   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
1) What kind of coating are you looking for?
3M has surface refinement with fully synthetic polymer bonded polish

2) Side step and front bull bar will interfere with the airbag functionality.
Check with Toyota before you decide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divyendu Sharma View Post
Hi drive-angry! First of all congratulations for your new car!! I was very close to buying one but things did not work out. Regarding coating I have not heard anything tremendous about 3m chandigarh center. If you want wax 42 paint protection coating you can go to hybrid customs or if you want glass coating you can go to way2shine.
Cheers!

Thanks for your reply ecosport rules & Divyendu Sharma, I have never gotten any car filmed/coated so open to all suggestions. what would be the best? I basically wanted protection from scratches, small dimples and dents (mainly from incurred when car is parked)

I had a look at the Facebook page of waytoshine & Hybrid customs. I really like the glass coating from way2shine. What exactly is it? any prior experience? does paint come off when one remove the coating?

There are so many Front bumper guards available in the market which claims that airbag functionality will not be affected but yes I will check with Toyota on first service. thanks!

drive_angry

Most Viewed