Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 20:53   #2416
BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

I was keen to hear the forums thoughts ..... Manual VX versus the Automatic GX.

What I need is An 8 seater (the 7 seater Innova won’t do).

My thoughts are:

GX Auto
- the issues with this model is the missing bling. Looks very plain for a 20lakh plus car.
+I get an automatic
+ I save some money (over buying the VX)

VX Manual
- the biggest issue is that Ill spend more than the GX but still stay in the world of Manual gear shifting.
+ I gain some FE with the manual shifting (Anyone know what FE gains I can expect in manual over the auto)?
+ I get the added bling which the GX lacks.

Last edited by anandbangalore : 4th January 2021 at 21:04.
Old 4th January 2021, 22:16   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandbangalore View Post

My thoughts are:

GX Auto
- the issues with this model is the missing bling. Looks very plain for a 20lakh plus car.
+I get an automatic

VX Manual
- the biggest issue is that Ill spend more than the GX but still stay in the world of Manual gear shifting.
+ I gain some FE with the manual shifting (Anyone know what FE gains I can expect in manual over the auto)?
You can always add bling later but with VX you are stuck with manual which you might regret down the line.
silverknight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 22:25   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverknight View Post
You can always add bling later but with VX you are stuck with manual which you might regret down the line.
+1. Go for the Automatic even if you are forced to take a lower variant. You cannot change that ( gearbox ) ever!
amalji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 22:38   #2419
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

+I get an automatic

About FE, I think you will only gain in City FE. On the highway, the automatic is not behind the manual, since the manual is five speed and in fifth gear the engine speeds are higher for a given speed. The automatic is in a state of calm in sixth gear and does 100 at 1600RPM and 120 close to 2k RPM. I have seen that even at these speeds, the MID shows an FE of around 14-15kmpl on a flat road. The manual does 100kmph at 2100RPM and 120 at 2500RPM. And in the auto box the torque converter locks up after 4th gear which avoids losses in the TC, which is evident in 1-3 gears.

Hence, I would say there would not be a major gain in FE especially if you do 100+. Not sure of lesser than that since the autobox hardly shifts to sixth below 100 and I havent done that so far. But on airport runs, my dad maintains 80kmph Cruise control and easily manages 15-16kmpl in our Automatic.

The VX does not give you seven airbags. You get most of the bling and comfort features of the ZX, except leather interiors, back door easy close, 7 airbags, and some other minor things. A VX automatic would have been the perfect spot for many but unfortunately, Toyota has its own mind. Hence, either get the GX Auto or just stretch and get the ZX AT. I would not give up the automatic. I find the five speed manual a let down for a car costing 25L. You can buy the GX and try to upgrade some of the parts from the higher trim where possible.
audioholic is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 23:59   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Anand,
I too would suggest you to get a GX automatic or extend your budget (if possible) and to get a ZX auto, since it comes with 7 airbags + many additional features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
A VX automatic would have been the perfect spot for many but unfortunately, Toyota has its own mind. Hence, either get the GX Auto or just stretch and get the ZX AT.
+1
Very well summarized.

Slightly off topic,
We too were in similar dilemma a few years back, when my father had plans of booking a Crysta.

But in contrary we chose VX manual variant then.
Reason being features + myself, who is fond of manuals. Most of the time, it will be driven in highways by me or chauffer driven when my father uses it.

The GX automatic was awesome to drive and also costing lesser than VX.
But even after paying approx 20.3 lakhs for GX auto, we would be missing few essential features like sound system, auto AC, steering mounted controls, fog lamps, projector headlights etc.
(My father usually doesn't prefer aftermarket accessories especially the electrical related ones)

So with heavy heart we had to let go the GX auto for the sake of few premium features in VX manual.(couldn't extend the budget for ZX auto)

Again, as you rightly said, VX automatic would have been the perfect spot for us too like many.

Last edited by DLC5005 : 5th January 2021 at 00:00. Reason: Typo
DLC5005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 04:29   #2421
BHPian

Hi all, planning to change my xuv500 (2012 model, w8 ,FWD) and buy the innova crysta VX 2.4 manual. The xuv has run 95K kilometers, what would be a fair exchange price?

The car would be mostly chauffeur driven hence I think the manual versus auto debate is not very relevant. Also the cabin of the VX is much nicer than the GX. Am I thinking correctly?
Old 5th January 2021, 07:39   #2422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartikaygaur View Post
Hi all, planning to change my xuv500 (2012 model, w8 ,FWD) and buy the innova crysta VX 2.4 manual. The xuv has run 95K kilometers, what would be a fair exchange price?

The car would be mostly chauffeur driven hence I think the manual versus auto debate is not very relevant. Also the cabin of the VX is much nicer than the GX. Am I thinking correctly?
I'm not sure of the exchange price. Just a suggestion, why don't you go for ZX 2.4 MT. I'm pretty sure there must be some pre face-lift stock that the dealers maybe looking to get rid of. Otherwise the VX>GX cabin wise.

Hope this helps
Sreesh1009 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 07:59   #2423
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what Sreesh says. I own the ‘GX’2.8AT and can tell you that the cabin of the ‘VX’ is definitely better.

While I read that you’ll be chauffeur driven, I still feel it’ll be good to get the AT.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 15:39   #2424
Senior - BHPian

After 3 years and 47000 kms, my innova Touring Sport Diesel Automatic gave symptoms of battery ageing. The stop start function on the car started getting deactivated more frequently ( Once every 2 or 3 drives ). Normally, it used to happen once in a dozen short drives or so.

So, I proactively went and checked with Toyota. They mentioned that the battery is still not in a replacement required state. They checked the specific gravity of the battery as well as trying out multiple engine starts ( after loading the battery fully - switching on all lights and fan )

Since, it was an automatic ( push start is not possible in case of emergency ) and since I have a few long drives lined up with family, I did not want to take any risk. Just asked them to replace the battery. It costed around 9300 INR for the Exide battery ( 80 AH - Touring sport uses it since it has auto start/stop ). The price was after deducting the cost of the old battery.
amalji is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 08:01   #2425
BHPian

Hi,

In the GX, I don't get the nice wooden bits on the steering wheel like the ZX has.

The showroom doesnt provide a solution.

Anyone know (if) where I can get this done in Bangalore?
Attached Images

anandbangalore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 12:50   #2426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

In the GX, I don't get the nice wooden bits on the steering wheel like the ZX has.

Suggestion: avoid touching the steering wheel if you can help it. The wood big cracked in my Vx, anyway. And the hand does slip on it.
sridhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:50   #2427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I wouldn't recommend spending for the wooden part. It's hard slippery and is the worst part of the steering wheel in terms of feel.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 22:46   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Innova Crsyta, go for ZX or get GX. With recent updates GX is quite loaded and only misses on Auto AC and LED lights compared to VX. Yes, there are few other bits but you won't miss them much.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 11:36   #2429
BHPian

Quote:

My thoughts are:

GX Auto
+I get an automatic

VX Manual
Against the popular suggestion here, i.e., take an AT lower variant than MT VX, I just want to put my use case here. But, mine, was a decision on a used Innova Crysta.

I got hold of a ZX MT recently and there were choices for GX AT. But, in a used car pricing scenario, where the difference between these two variants was not that huge in comparison to a new car, I went for a Manual Z variant compromising on the AT. But, just to let you know, while AT is getting popular and convenient day by day, I personally do not find a Crysta MT to be difficult to drive and I get 13.8 Kmpl if that is of any use to you in City Driving conditions. So, drive the MT and if you find it convenient to drive, a VX would be a better cabin to sit in without doing any add on to make it plush.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 17:14   #2430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
With Innova Crsyta, go for ZX or get GX. With recent updates GX is quite loaded and only misses on Auto AC and LED lights compared to VX. Yes, there are few other bits but you won't miss them much.
VX gets hear rejection solar glass which GX does not have. I would have got the VX just for this. Greatly enhances comfort in summers and there is no legal way to get this feature aftermarket.

Most Viewed