Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 20:17   #2566
BHPian

Back in February I suddenly noticed steering wheel vibration when braking under high speeds, the car had completed the 15,000KM service a few months back. After brake pad skimming the problem got resolved, but the SA told me it was also due to some rusting on the edge of the brake pads. I was charged around 2.3K for the front 2 wheel's brake disk skimming. Nevertheless I have asked the car wash guy not to put water around the wheel anymore including cleaning of wheel arches.

Also one of my front wheel tyres (16 inch) got a side wall cut at parking speeds by grazing against a sharp metal edge of a man hole cover on the roads. I had to change the entire tyre which set me back for 7K. But that is not all, the roadside assistance guy who came seemed not that aware of the nuances of pulling down the spare.

Request everyone to be careful of this step of taking out the spare as in my case an initial wrong side rotation broke the spare wheel guide (plastic), labour and parts included another 1.2 K came from my pocket to set the spare in place.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20210203_121258.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20210203_120731.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20210207_135504.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20210207_134049.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-img_20210207_134034.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
Will TKML/Dealer honor the pricing as on booking date, or will I be forced to pay revised prices (which would be very disappointing)?
It will be the price on the day of full settlement (of Loan or Final Downpayment to Toyota) that you have to pay after the car is delivered to the dealership. No price guarantee otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Sharing picture with the high beam switched on and off. The difference is huge and offers tremendous visibility at night.
Is Blaupankt 9X PRO 6000K the utlimate dependable LED I can install in place of my HID for longer and wider throw in my GX Cryta on existing non-projector setup? Hope the installation is plug and play and not require changing of wires? I miss the longer throw of the projector setup as I do night driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischaltopno View Post
Wanted to check if it also doubles up as a dash cam, i.e. storing recorded videos

If I get the MTM installed outside say for want of night vision camera, will it void the warranty?
No, the Toyota MTM does not come with storage and hence cannot be used as dashcam, further they automatically shut off if the speed of the car increases beyond a certain threshold (most likely 20 km/hr).

I have installed DDPai Mola N3 for Dashcam and happy with it.
The link to the relevant post is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4954731 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread), in fact the view have improved since i realized later that I had forgotten to peel off the lens guard sticker.

MTM like devices are available in the market outside and they integrate well with the ICE. However I am not certain about the impact on warranty. Nevertheless you must note that the Toyota MTM fits at the fixed base of the the ORVMs and hence in crowded places even if you fold the ORVMs the MTM view remains unchanged for the sides. Make sure the after market ones fit in similar ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
The dealership threw in extended warranty (+2Y and +50000km) as a freebie after hard negotiation. don't think it is needed with my experience till now.

TCS reflected in my 26AS in less than a month.
I received 15K cash discount, did you receive that on top of the free extended warranty (5 years and 1 Lakh KM)? It would then be really generous of a TKM dealer to offer that to you. I did receive the mud flaps and floor mats (they said it costed 4.5 K in total) as freebies apart from the standard gift sets of dinner set, free perfume, leather folio car document holder.

I took delivery in July 2019 but my 26AS reflected the refund only around the end of the year which I balanced while filing ITR in 2020.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th April 2021 at 07:17. Reason: As requested
haisaikat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 11:14   #2567

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Hello Everyone

I have been looking to upgrade my Toyota Crysta Gx 2019 model since some time, some initial efforts were made during the year of purchase but being constrained on budget after taking plunge on this car, only make shift arrangement were made at that time. Year 2020 was a washout so much so that the total mileage clocked for the year 2020 was less than 1000 Km (Yes ! for the entire year). Mentioned below is where i need suggestion:

1. Upgrade cabin lights (T10) with Osram LED 2880CW-02B Parking Lamp (12V, 1W), hope these are reliable ?

2. Install Projector Fog lights to compensate for somewhat ok Headlights. Kindly suggest if IPH4 projectors with Osram night breaker HID kit is a reliable combination (If possible which model will be best suited). Idea is to keep fog light at 4300 K color temperature to really serve the purpose during foggy days. I understand LED's have higher lumens but do they come in 4300K color temperature which can be considered ?

3. I was having issues with my earlier audio set-up which i am planning to upgrade:
[A] Plan to keep stock head unit in first go (Will assess later if HU also need upgrade)
[b] Replace my 10 year old amplifier (Carry forward from my previous car), fortunately i got a deal to buy 5-6 year old Infinity kappa 4 channel amplifier in Rs 5k from someone who was selling his car, On other hand got a buyer who was willing to buy my old amplifier as his first set-up in Rs 2K. Shop keeper facilitating the changeover installed Infinity Kappa for trial in my car and i still have option to refuse it. is it a good trade off ?
[C] Change basic series Rockford Prime R165s components (Installed in all 4 doors) with Infinity reference to complement Infinity Kappa Amplifier. Steg and JL Audio C1 were also thought of but both are bit costly. Old components can be sold to same person buying old amplifier with almost 90% of recovery of purchase cost (Trade off hit on pocket around Rs 4K)

4. Recently found a You tube video Showing MID upgrade, but sadly it’s not in a language i can understand. Has anyone tried this changeover till now ? Can anyone help in briefing what are key aspects of such replacement, does it require programming, is it a cheap Chinese copy or any mention of cost in the video. Link is attached :

Many thanks in advance

Sachin
Old 9th April 2021, 23:34   #2568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post

No, the Toyota MTM does not come with storage and hence cannot be used as dashcam, further they automatically shut off if the speed of the car increases beyond a certain threshold (most likely 20 km/hr).
Thanks for your information on the storage capability of the Toyota MTM
Quote:
MTM like devices are available in the market outside and they integrate well with the ICE. However I am not certain about the impact on warranty. Nevertheless you must note that the Toyota MTM fits at the fixed base of the the ORVMs and hence in crowded places even if you fold the ORVMs the MTM view remains unchanged for the sides. Make sure the after market ones fit in similar ways.
That's really helpful tip if and when i shop outside for an MTM
Quote:
I have installed DDPai Mola N3 for Dashcam and happy with it.
The link to the relevant post is here https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4954731 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
Any reason in particular for not hard wiring the dashcam?
Quote:
in fact the view have improved since i realized later that I had forgotten to peel off the lens guard sticker.
Old 10th April 2021, 19:09   #2569
BHPian

Our Innova 2.4AT was delivered on 7th April, during these past 3 days, it achieved a mileage of 4.6 kmpl (ODO 30km), is this common until first service? 7 or 8kmpl would have been fine but 4.6kmpl seems a lot worse.
Restart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 20:00   #2570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restart View Post
Our Innova 2.4AT was delivered on 7th April, during these past 3 days, it achieved a mileage of 4.6 kmpl (ODO 30km), is this common until first service? 7 or 8kmpl would have been fine but 4.6kmpl seems a lot worse.
It’s quite early to decide on a conclusion, normally the initial 100-150 kms are fuel guzzling days for a new car. Wait and it should subside, you may also try checking a Full tank to Full tank mileage.
abhikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:57   #2571
BHPian

Safety aspect of an Innova Crysta top end variant - Asean NCAP validity

I wanted to ignite this discussion since I am in the market for an Innova but this time specifically for the Innova Crysta Z variant. The Innova has grown exponentially more expensive since its launch and hopefully the company has added things to improve the safety. There are very many Innova's compared to other cars and so accident reports might definitely be more frequent in comparison. However, even on team bhp there have been threads on airbags failing to deploy, tyre bursts and so on. I hope these issues have been fixed but I understand that one can never be 100% sure. Which is the reason for this thread.

Asean NCAP vs GNCAP

My first stop to assess the safety was to look at the Asean NCAP safety tests that the Indonesia spec Kijang was subject to. The Kijang seems to have gotten 5 stars. There have also been some conjectures that this model is a variant below the top end Z variant that is sold in India. Ergo, the India top end variant should be rated 5 stars as well. The Marazzo seems to have achieved 4 star rating in GNCAP so I assume maybe the Innova would be a cut off the same cloth when it comes to safety? Asean NCAP tests frontal on lateral impact.

Is it the same car?

The top end model has 7 airbags, ESC among other safety features. On checking the weight of the car, the kerb weight of the Indian top end variant is 1895 kgs. I was not able to find the exact weight of the Kijang Innova (they do not have it on their Indonesian site) but from other sites it looks checks in at a kerb weight below the Indian variant. So I hope no cost cuts were made there. The engine is different of course. But the dimensions, suspension, front disc and rear drum brakes are all identical in the specifications. Personally, during the test drive, I did feel that the structure looked solid, doors panels were decent (the cliched reassuring thud that most reviewers seem to now look for).

Compared to the competition

Compared to other options in the segment like say the Safari or XUV would this be safe(r)? I do understand this is a contentious topic. Of course, being a ladder on frame I understand the higher GC might lead to rollovers. The question is more for the usual sedate driving at speeds of 80 to 100 kmph on highways and much less in the city.

The only thing that's keeping me from plonking hard earned cash on the Innova is the fact that they seem very opaque on these issues. Why not test it in the GNCAP? But I see there are no other options in this segment which have done this as well.
sentra26 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:21   #2572
BHPian

Re: Safety aspect of an Innova Crysta top end variant - Asean NCAP validity

Hello!

Going by Toyota's past credentials, they don't cut corner in terms of safety. Bare bones, built to cost Etios Liva scored 4 stars in GNCAP, many years ago. Yaris is safe car too.

Going by the advancements in technology, available safety kit on offer and speeds you will be driving (as mentioned by you) I think you can simply go ahead with Innova Crysta. The car should be safe!

Obviously these are my OBSERVATIONS and derived opinion.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th April 2021 at 13:56. Reason: typos
DriveOnceMore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 12:40   #2573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveOnceMore View Post
Going by Toyota's past credentials, they don't cut corner in terms of safety.
Thank you for the reassurance. But their tie up with Maruti gives me the shivers allthough I know it has nothing to do with the Innova .
sentra26 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:30   #2574
BANNED

I'm also in the same league of oscillating between
a) Time tested reliability of TOYOYA cars
b) Ownership feedback from my friends (always positive)
c) High cost of purchase, >24L onroad
d) Mileage of 10KMPL
d) Other brands cars that got >4 safety ratings but price range of 20L with avg. 15KMPL

Is it worth spending that extra for reliability, hassle free ownership?
Old 15th April 2021, 13:54   #2575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Other brands cars that got >4 safety ratings but price range of 20L with avg. 15KMPL
This is what is confounding. Even Tata which recently prides itself on safety has not tested their Safari/Harrier. In terms of 7 seaters that have got > 4 star safety ratings, only the marazzo has been tested. I visited the showroom and talked to the sales guy who mentioned that the car would get an AMT in 2022 which is kind of a deal breaker.

Last edited by sentra26 : 15th April 2021 at 14:01.
sentra26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 14:32   #2576
BHPian

I recently acquired a pre owned Z AT variant. Even though the car is 4 years old, it still drive like new. If you are planning to keep the car for long; Toyota peace of mind service , longevity of interior and spare parts are two additional factors you may want to count in. Like you, I specifically wanted the top end for additional security and car does give that built strong feeling compared to my other/previous rides. Good luck with your purchase decision.
sajanjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 18:02   #2577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentra26 View Post
Compared to the competition

Compared to other options in the segment like say the Safari or XUV would this be safe(r)? I do understand this is a contentious topic. Of course, being a ladder on frame I understand the higher GC might lead to rollovers. The question is more for the usual sedate driving at speeds of 80 to 100 kmph on highways and much less in the city.

The only thing that's keeping me from plonking hard earned cash on the Innova is the fact that they seem very opaque on these issues. Why not test it in the GNCAP? But I see there are no other options in this segment which have done this as well.
Consider Marazzo. Tested GNCAP 4 Star rating. Solid build with all four disc brakes. ( Crysta only front are discs ). NVH and comfort is superior to Crysta. Yearly /10000 K service interval ( Crysta is 6 months/5000 K ).
Comes with 5 Year 1 Lakh Km standard warranty.
Returns around 20 kmpl when driven sedately 80-100 kmph highway speeds.
JediKnight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 19:21   #2578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Consider Marazzo. Tested GNCAP 4 Star rating. Solid build with all four disc brakes.
I did. The only issue was that they did not have an automatic variant (did not mention in my OP but I am looking to buy an automatic). And the automatic variant that's being planned is an AMT which I am not sure about. Plus it just has two airbags.

Last edited by sentra26 : 15th April 2021 at 19:45.
Old 19th April 2021, 13:19   #2579
BHPian

Queries for folks here who have installed accessories either at dealer's or outside:

I am awaiting delivery of my 2.7 GX AT shortly, and have identified a bunch of accessories/upgrades I'd like to go with. I met with the accessories guy at the dealership and he shared the below prices. I asked him how the costs would compare to getting accessories outside (in my case, JC Road Bangalore), and he mentioned that quite a few of these are OEM parts and the ones available outside are mostly stick-ons (like chrome door handles, window chrome beading/lining etc.,).

My Q to all of you is whether I should get these done at the dealer's or (if it makes a significant price diff with similar quality) should I explore options with 3rd party accessories stores.

Front Drill Chrome Garnish - 7K
Chrome Door Handles (full replacement) - 7K
Window chrome beading - 5K
Dash wooden paneling + chrome lining - 6K
Reverse Parking Camera - 5K
All doors scuff plates steel - 4.5K
Auto folding mirror - 4.5K
Rear bumper step guard - 5K
Sun Film (V-cool) - 20K
Seat Upholstry (stanley) - 65K

Total: Rs.1.3L (less 10K discount).

Thanks!
vraned is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 14:03   #2580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraned View Post
Queries for folks here who have installed accessories either at dealer's or outside:

Front Drill Chrome Garnish - 7K
Chrome Door Handles (full replacement) - 7K
Window chrome beading - 5K
Dash wooden paneling + chrome lining - 6K
Reverse Parking Camera - 5K
All doors scuff plates steel - 4.5K
Auto folding mirror - 4.5K
Rear bumper step guard - 5K
Sun Film (V-cool) - 20K
Seat Upholstry (stanley) - 65K

Total: Rs.1.3L (less 10K discount).

Thanks!
1. Electronic items like parking camera and auto folding mirror definitely in Toyota itself. The prices your dealer has quoted are also reasonable.
2. Chrome and other cosmetics you can get outside, some of them even cost less than half of what Toyota quotes. Not sure if you get any warranty outside but Toyota gives you 1 year.
3. Seat upholstery only from outside if you know a very reliable place expert in it otherwise you might regret the finishing.

What I observed is that non-electronic items are priced pretty high in dealership, for ex. Fortuner side cladding costs 4 times what 1 outside shop quoted. The look was the same but I am not sure of the quality and durability.
Technic90 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed