Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 14:32   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
I had back to back test drives of the three cars as I need to replace my 4 year old Safari DICOR. The options & their OTR prices were
1. Innova Crysta 2.4 GX & Rs. 19,50,000
2. Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 4x2 & Rs. 17,00,000
3. XUV 500 W6 & Rs. 16,60,000

6. 2.8 L refinement
I was surprised at how calm the engine was. It felt like a petrol in lower rpms.

Negatives

3. 2.8 AT performance and handling
It handles as aweful as a Safari DICOR. Lot of body roll. The AT is a lazy box. Even in power mode, there wasnt proportional translation of accceleration according to accelerator input. It was jerky when floored. But it can cruise comfortably at higher triple digit speeds though. If you are an enthusiast you may not like the AT.

I actually was surprised at the engine power. Power mode was crazy and but was irritating because it was on high revs for longer than needed. For a big MUV, auto was nice.

I was also happy with the safety features and that it came with alloy for GX Auto.

What I hate the most was, the looks :(.
GX Auto costs 19.5 lac here at Trivandrum.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th August 2016 at 23:04. Reason: coz > because
Old 10th August 2016, 22:13   #272
BHPian

Dd anyone bought 8-seater in CarLease? Sales teams says that RTO would deny registration of 8-seater on a company/institution name. I need to purchase only using Car Lease and just ~5k difference between 8 and 7 seater
Old 10th August 2016, 22:45   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
Dd anyone bought 8-seater in CarLease? Sales teams says that RTO would deny registration of 8-seater on a company/institution name. I need to purchase only using Car Lease and just ~5k difference between 8 and 7 seater

That's true. When I wanted to buy the 8 seater in 2010, I was given the same reason. So no 8 seater through company lease.
shivasuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 23:47   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Beast View Post
I got this shock too only today. I initially booked the 8 seater GX AT variant. My company was about to release the purchase order to the dealer and they realized at the last moment that it's a 8 seater. As per the RTO rule, an 8 seater car cannot be registered under a company name paying full LTT. Instead it can be registered only as commercial vehicle and renew the road tax every two years.

Since I need to purchase the vehicle through car lease, I opted for the 7 seater variant. And it actually got me thinking again if paying 20L odd for what is a strict 6 seater is worthy enough. The middle bench is very comfortable for families with small kids. Since I have already finalized Crysta over XUV and BRV, and now that my only option is a 7 seater in the Crysta; I even considered the ZX AT variant too for sometime. Finally decided to go ahead with the GX AT 7 seater itself due to budget constraints.

Agree. The price difference is just too little between 7 and 8 seater variants.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 11:09   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
I got this shock too only today. Instead it can be registered only as commercial vehicle and renew the road tax every two years.
Did you check with the dealer whether you can give a notarised affidavit to RTO stating that the car would not be used for commercial purposes to register the 8 seater as Pvt vehicle. Thats what i did. However mine was not under lease program.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 12:15   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Did you check with the dealer whether you can give a notarised affidavit to RTO stating that the car would not be used for commercial purposes to register the 8 seater as Pvt vehicle. Thats what i did. However mine was not under lease program.
Yes Sankar. They accept the affidavit if itsonly for private registered vehicles, not for the vehicles to be registered under company name. Its a RTO rule all over the country.
samabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 10:06   #277
Senior - BHPian

Problem: Brake Judder

Brake Judder
There is one issue I faced with the Crysta while i did the Tvm - Blore - Tvm trip. As everyone who has the Crysta knows this vehicle will reach silly speeds in no time and it is really really easy maintaining those speeds as the engine is at just 2200RPM while cruising at 140KPH. Braking from very high speeds the vehicle feels very confident and the bite is strong.

The problem is as the brake discs heat up after couple of high speed braking events I get a judder on the steering wheel each time i brake from above 120KPH. This is ONLY after the brake discs heat up, because after a 30 minute break there is no judder on the steering wheel while braking from higher speeds. But AGAIN once the brake heats up the judder returns. There is no judder if i am not applying the brakes.

I am at a loss explaining this to Toyota service here, i told them the problem, we took a test drive but the roads does not allow to replicate the problem.

In short:
1) No steering judder when not braking
2) No steering judder when braking from upto 120KPH
3) No steering judder when braking for first couple times from higher speeds.
4) Judder increases gradually as number of braking instances increase from higher speeds for slowing down.
5) Judder ceases when brakes are cooled down like while taking a 30min food stop.
6) Judder returns when brakes are hot again.

So brake discs are becoming warped when being hot? I.e., brake discs are expanding unevenly while hot? I guess so. Could there be any other reason?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Power mode was crazy and but was irritating because it was on high revs for longer than needed. For a big MUV, auto was nice.
That's because the shifter was in S otherwise it will not hold RPM for that long before shifting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samabhi View Post
Hi Greg, here is the picture of seat covers. ISO fix mounting is usable, as small cutouts are left for them and also marked with labels attached to seat covers. No back sweating experienced either.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160812_092454.jpg

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-20160812_092542.jpg

Last edited by Sankar : 12th August 2016 at 10:11.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 17:33   #278
BHPian

Hi, I have taken delivery of a Garnet Red 2.4 Vx 7s Innova Crysta yesterday. Feeling awesome. I upgraded from a Chevy Optra Magnum and boy its fun. I thought I'd miss the power and space of the Optra but i am floored. The Innova is way ahead. I am still getting a hang of the car and will post my reviews later.
Old 14th August 2016, 18:50   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed5579 View Post
Hi, I have taken delivery of a Garnet Red 2.4 Vx 7s Innova Crysta yesterday. Feeling awesome. I upgraded from a Chevy Optra Magnum and boy its fun. I thought I'd miss the power and space of the Optra but i am floored. The Innova is way ahead. I am still getting a hang of the car and will post my reviews later.

Congratulations!

What was the OTR price in Chennai and waiting period (if any)?
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2016, 23:26   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

A bad idea i feel, few monsoons and rough road patch or even after a nasty pressure wash later the aluminium pipes will go pssssssss. They should atleast give some type of shielding, even plastic is fine.
The aluminum pipes won't go psssss. Don't worry. Because, it was always there from day one on all Innova's with dual ac unit. It comes through all kinds of obstacles and is very intricately guided all along with good protection against rubbing or chaffing against the body, heat protection as it runs alongside the exhaust pipes, etc and is fitted perfectly and is of a very robust grade of alluminum that lasts for mostly as long as the vehicle.

These pipes carry the refrigerant gases all the way from the compressor and condensor up ahead to the second ac unit which is situated right above the aluminium thingy you can see in the picture.

Another thing, the unit here in question is not a condensor, as assumed , but a second AHU or Air Handling Unit which basically consists of a blower and a second small evaporator core( just like the ones up front under the dash but a smaller size) which seperately cools the air sucked up from around the rear cup holder area and feeds them to the rear ac vents for the rear two rows after cooling it. This is the basic setup on all bigger proper dual ac SUVs/MPVs etc. This actually makes sure that all passengers have dedicated chilled air vents and hence enhance the cooling right upto the very last seat.

The reason why people notice it now is because of the water dripping in the area. And that appears to be because the AHU housing seems to have been changed a bit. Previously the water was distributed and didn't drip in one place because of the design. The black plastic pipe you see at the right of the fat aluminum pipe is the water drainage pipe. It was of different design in previous models.

Other vehicles which have these types of unit are the Fortuner, some models of dual Ac Safari's, I think the Xylo too, amongst others.

Saw this intermittently cropping up in the thread so thought just might clear the doubts. :thumbup:

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th August 2016 at 13:45. Reason: As requested
pixantz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 09:30   #281
BHPian

Try the XUV automatic. This is from my experience of owning one and driving hundreds of automatic models in India and USA for extended period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I faced this very same problem with every torque converter automatic transmission equipped car that costs less than 30 lakhs. While Jetta's DSG did great, BMW X1 - which I guess isn't a dual clutch auto - was phenomenal. I just couldn't find a non-german car with a quick shifting automatic, but I just cannot prepare myself to purchase a german automatic owing to their high maintenance. So I guess if someone is like me, they need to make a compromise while buying an automatic.

Good thing about Innova is the presence of different driving modes which hides the problem to some extent and I also believe Innova gathers pace pretty briskly with minimum accelerator input to keep the noise level low.
Old 15th August 2016, 12:32   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Congratulations!

What was the OTR price in Chennai and waiting period (if any)?

Hi chncar,
OTR was ₹21,56,771/-.
No discounts whatsoever.

Waiting period is based primarily on colour. For white or silver, it's around 2 - 3 months based on variant.

I got mine in 8 days.
obed5579 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 13:47   #283
BHPian

With the ban in NCR lifted we can expect some of the production to be diverted there and an extended waiting period for other regions.
Old 16th August 2016, 21:48   #284
BHPian

So a quick update on first 1000Kms service. I though it would put some perspective on Toyota’s ‘inexpensive’ ownership. Since I had already planned for a trip over the long weekend, I went in early (at 846 Kms) so that I would not miss 1000 Kms service and not giving any grounds to Toyota to reject my warranty claims in future, if any. Below is the Invoice.

Those who have subscribed to this thread would know that I had a situation wherein I found adulterated diesel in the fuel tank. Though bellow BHPains assured me that its is nothing to worry about but subliminally, the whole fiasco was bothering me. I was told that it would take at least 4-5 hours for the complete service (1000 km service+fuel tank clean) so, I booked the slot accordingly.

I was also advised to add the injector fluid as well. This will and I quote “will eliminate all the carbon deposits and any impurities that may/may not have entered in the engine along with the adulterated Diesel’. Honestly, I had no idea what to do and since I had to come up with an answer, I agreed to it. Hope it does what Toyota claims it is supposed to do.

Engine now feels much more relaxed and grunt has reduced significantly. Car does yoga at 110-120kmpl and power mode makes you want to hang on to dear life, it is that responsive. FE in Traffic snarls comes down to 11.9 and on open roads goes upto 15.1(Maximum that I got on Crysta). Considering that its been a while since Crysta’s launch, I still get admiring glances from the fellow motorists and cabbies.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-screen-shot-20160816-20.20.35.png  

Last edited by drive_angry : 16th August 2016 at 21:54.
drive_angry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 23:10   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Are there real pics of the Crysta DC version? They have a teaser pic on their Instagram but I haven't been able to find any others.

Might make sense to buy a lower model Crysta and get a DC treatment on it which couldn't work out much more than the top end variant given its high mark up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks